Party member murders quest giver

>party member murders quest giver

>quest giver murders party member

Welcome to Shadowrun, omae.

>party member is lazy

>party member with highest DEX refuses to steal the macguffin, forcing you to do it

>party member is the last one to realize the noble that invited us to a Winter Solstice Feast is actually the BBEG in disguise

>Dead quest giver keeps hiring other adventurers to kill the PCs.

>party member is the quest giver

I actually need to do one of those for my game, that obligatory quest where you're required not to fuck up in front of nobles for 4 hours and everything goes to shit anyways.

This isn't a discussion topic, it's an insipid statement with no bearing on the hobby.
It's a perfect post for /v/, so please return to there.

>It's a perfect post for /v/
Except that video games typically don't let you kill the quest givers.

fallout nv does

All of them ?

Also
>typically
Meaning not all.

good video games do?

The typical videogame is not good.

"Good" is far too subjective a term to be useful for this discussion. We will disagree on the quality of too many titles.

Lets go with "popular" instead. Easier to measure. How many popular vidoe games can you name from the past 10 years that let you kill quest givers ?

Make a distinction between letting players kill a few, most or all quest givers.

My game group's interaction with every npc more powerful or more wealthy than they are goes like this.

>npc: "hi, I'm [npc], I'll pay you to do [quest]"
>party member: "guys, we have to kill him and take his stuff."
>other party member: "why do we want to kill him?"
>party member: "because if we don't kill him he'll figure out we want to kill him and then he'll try to kill us"

>player interrupts a "bad guy" talking them by attacking them in the edgiest way possible, thinking it will make them look cool
>Utterly fails, and initiates combat in such a way nobody on their side was prepared for

>Player character with high int/wis
>Actual player is a fucking moron and pro-actively makes horrible, objectively stupid decisions with no forethought

Your players might have trust issues, user. Have you talked about it with them?

>quest giver is a ghost

Yep. Their argument is that because my npc's react negatively to player attempts to subvert their plans that makes every npc I create untrustworthy, and therefore must be eliminated before they can betray the players who are attempting to betray them.

Goddamnit Shoko, stop putting pussy in your mouth. You're not gay.

>party member murders quest giver
>in his own shop
>with at least five witnesses
>gets mad when the guards surround them

most popular video games don't even have quest givers

Are you sure they weren't in a game of Paranoia before they gamed with you?

>City in the midst of a plague
>Quest to investigate woman selling "miracle cure"
>We just need a sample
>Cure is like 5gp each
>People lined up, would take us like half an hour to wait in queue
>One party member starts convoluted deception to try and get us to the front of the line for... some reason
>Thisshouldbegood.jpg
>Spirals into threatening the shopkeep with violence
>She asks us to leave and her security starts moving towards us
>"Can I roll acrobatics to do a backflip over her head and land behind her?"
>"Roll initiative"
I'm LE. I don't know what I was thinking. I should've punched her across the room and dragged her out myself, but instead I felt obligated to try and help her not die after she escalated things to lethal force by attempting to point-blank somebody with a fucking handgun. Next time I'm breaking her fingers.

>party member keeps talking when a witch hunter tells him to stop talking

How about you wander on back to whatever forum you migrated from, dude?

Listen Jim, I know you've watched a lot of shadowrunner trids and you have some ideas of how being a Mr Johnson works, but it's getting really hard to hire any competent teams what with your 100% betrayal rate and all.

>party busts the quest giver

>party busts a beloved franchise

If you're ironically calling your NPC in a pen and paper a 'quest giver', your game almost certainly sucks.

>players finally decide on a course of action
>resume game
>questgiver has fled, commotion as city guard make their way towards the party with weapons ready
>GM was treating OOC conversation as IC, so players were discussing the best way to brutally murder the questgiver in front of him

The party is free to try to kill the 15 feet tall third age custodian construct if they want to. I'm eager to see how big of a splat they make when they hit the trunk of the World Tree at couple of hundred of miles per hour.

Don't you think it's a symptom of deeper problems if you have to make your quest giver NPCs nigh indestructible behemoths?

Used to go on /v/ and I gotta say, this entire argument was pretty /v/-esque

>first session with new group
>wizard gets our fighter killed by crit failing growth and casting in on the hobgoblin he was fighting
>cleric kills our rogue with a crit fail flail swing
>paladin eaten by a jelly
>cleric gets lost in the catacombs and starves
>start over with same characters
>fighter dies in a barfight over a card game
>wizard miscasts sleep and knocks out our paladin
>rogue falls to his death trying to jump over a broken bridge
>cleric kills himself by crit failing a flail swing

And this is why critical fails are retarded
They hurt the PCs immeasurably more than their opponents

B-but that's not how crit fails work. It's not how they've ever worked.

>train your whole life
>have a 5% chance of killing yourself every attack you make
fuck off with crit fails

Its pretty stupid you still tried crit fails the second time around but this made for a good laugh.

To be fair, it's more like
>5% Chance to fail horribly in a life or death struggle while something is actively trying to kill you

Depending on the realism of the game, crit fails do have their place

Notice how wizard ALWAYS stays alive in these scenarios.
Coincidence? I think not!

This isn't funny. Please kill yourself or at least cut off your fingers.

>fingers
>he doesn't type by rolling his face all over the keyboard
What are you, a casual?

>be fencer
>impale myself with rapier every twentieth attack
>be in a street fight
>have exposed fractures in my arm every twentieth punch I throw
>be judoka
>break my back every twentieth throw

nice >realism< you got there

It is not huge monstrosity because of the players, but it flattening the pcs if they get trigger happy will be great learning opportunity.

YOU'LL NEVER STOP ME

>all you had to do was to say "I wait in line"
It's not like the GM would actually make you wait half an hour for response.

Crit fails are awful for the simple reason that martials often have more attacks per round as they level, meaning that their chance of critical failing actually goes up as they get stronger.

Don't you call me a casual, nerd!