/5eg/ D&D 5th Edition General

Volo's Guide to Monsters in the trove. Be sure to buy it and support the hobby even if you download it!

>Official /5eg/ Mega Trove v3:
mega.nz/#F!BUdBDABK!K8WbWPKh6Qi1vZSm4OI2PQ

>Community DMs Guild trove
>Submit to [email protected], cleaning available!
mega.nz/#F!UA1BhCBS!Oul1nsYh15qJvCWOD2Wo9w

>Pastebin with resources and so on:
pastebin.com/X1TFNxck (embed)

>/5eg/ Discord server
discord.gg/0rRMo7j6WJoQmZ1b

>Veeky Forums character sheets
mega.nz/#F!x0UkRDQK!l-iAUnE46Aabih71s-10DQ

Which do you prefer: encounter building mechanic from the DMG or the newe one from UA?

Other urls found in this thread:

thecampaign20xx.blogspot.com.br/2016/05/dungeons-dragons-how-to-run-curse-of.html
twitter.com/NSFWRedditImage

What are some exciting undead for CR 10-15?

> No previous thread link
You are worse than Hitler.

I like Light Cleric blasting + healing so far (level 3).

What are some good Cleric spell to prepare outside of combat though? Enhance Ability?

stat me

>I'll play a 13 on everything Monk/Paladin/Wizard/Barbarian because I'm not a minmaxer faggot
>Who cares I can't deal with a goblin at 5th level, I'll be stronger at higher level

The only undead within that range in the MM are Vampires, Mummy Lords and Death Tyrants.

And they're all really awesome

1d4+Str, no prof on attack roll

>tfw no ranger in the party to cast spike growth on you

>plan to be stronger at higher levels
>not a minmaxing faggot

Vampires and their charm are the fucking worst

I just can't get into Beholders.
Dracula is pretty gangsta though.

Can you NOT be stronger at higher levels? in whatever you level/spend ASIs you'll be better than before

If you enjoy healing and blasting, you'll generally want to take rituals for outside of combat, to preserve spell slots for said healing and blasting.
Strong choices for 3rd level are generally Augury and/or Detect Magic (or other 1st level Detection spells depending on what you're facing).

I like 'em all, though I think the Tyrant's Negative Energy Cone is too much of a dick move. My favorite is the Mummy Lord, though, can't wait to use one in my campaign! They have like 5 different Legendary Actions, cool spells, and you pretty much have no option other than fight them in their lair.

Is it worth taking ritual caster feat at level 4 or should I pump WIS up to 20 first?

You already have ritual casting as a Cleric, it's under your spell casting feature.
Max out Wis.

Possibly a dumb question, but it's a minor thing that I've not given much thought to until now:

As a DM, how far can players actually see in a lit area? Suppose there's a long hall or something, say 200 or so feet long. Can they see through all 200 feet? Would dim vs brightly lit affect it?

Can a spell with a range of touch be cast on yourself? e.g. Cleric's bless or guidance. Essentially, are clerics able to buff themselves?

I'm a relatively new DM and my group bought pic related and want to play it in a few weeks.
I've skimmed through it and it seems kinda overwhelming especially since english isnt my first language.
Any tips on how to prepare such a large adventure? Or does anyone have some notes on it to share?

I'm DMing tonight. The players did something in the last session, that would probably result in the BBEG completely obliterating the country they're in with magic, in a way that the players probably can't stop at all. The BBEG has previously demonstrated the ability to command enormous destructive magical potential.

I don't want to railroad the players. What is the balance between railroading and making the players deal with the logical consequences of their actions?

Thank you, kind user. Have a Plok.

Run them through Death's House first.

Add a third power in. Someone fucks up Big Bad's plan of obliteration.
Players, BBEG, and BBEG's enemy (which may or may not be a friend of players)

The players just killed the third party.

Avoid the party being caught in the destruction themselves.
If it isn't a ridiculous immersion breaker/plothole: Have the BBEG just obliterate a major city/settlement, or maybe about half the country. That way there's real consequences, but they're not all dead just because they did some stupid shit, and it gives them a chance to deal with it.

Make them live in the post-apocaliptic wasteland they created.

Yes. Just like they can cast Cure Wounds on themselves. Bless has 30ft range, though.

I mean, my first advice would be to run something else. Unless you have a lot of time and are in a mood to really immerse yourself in the game, read a lot, research, prepare, etc. If you still want to do it, you better read the whole thing and familiarize yourself with it. Look up some sites that can help you, such as thecampaign20xx.blogspot.com.br/2016/05/dungeons-dragons-how-to-run-curse-of.html
It's a great blog with advice and helpful articles from someone who's run all 5e published adventures so far. Now, I don't mean to discourage you. If you think you're up to the task, go for it! My first try at DMing was with Hoard of the Dragon Queen, which is generally regarded as the worst 5e adventure so far, though it's actually the easiest to run for new DMs (except for LMoP) because it's somewhat railroaded. My first session or two were disastrous, but now it's going rather well. And english isn't my first language either, so take that as you will.

>Can a spell with a range of touch be cast on yourself? e.g. Cleric's bless or guidance. Essentially, are clerics able to buff themselves?
You're right, thanks!

Capital city turns to dust and magical radiation

Are they murderhobos?

DMG, page 243

They're borderline murder hobos.

To be fair, they were on a mission from god.

I'm thinking about playing a cleric in a game I'm joining next weekend. Which domains are the most interesting and fun? Anyone have any good cleric stories, ideas or builds for inspiration?

Ritual caster let you cast spell as ritual without wasting your spell slot to prepare them.

>Volo's Guide to Monsters in the trove. Be sure to buy it and support the hobby even if you download it!

But I don't want a shitty fake Volo's Guide.

why do you think it's fake?

Depend on what kind of Cleric do you want to be.

If you want to melee, Tempest and War are the best.

If you want to be the party problem solver, knowledge is the best.

If you want to be heal bot, life is the best.

If you want to do AoE damage with the side of healing and buff, Light is the best.

So I've been given a campaign to DM. I was a player in it until the DM had real-life shit to do, so he handed it over to me, along with most of his notes.

Basically, there's a column in the center of the world. The column is a space elevator, as in, it literally goes all the way up into space. There's people in the top of the column, essentially the gods of the world.
The party have had contact with the goddess of the Sky at one point during the campaign, and she had the power to call down beams of light, glassing some areas. In reality, the Sky goddess was a satellite firing lasers from orbit. Whilst trying to get her to help them fight against a plague which turns people into weird demons called The Twisted, the party broke a shrine to her, which was actually a communications device, so they severed her link to the world.
They managed to save the continent anyway with the help of a silver dragon. His price for helping was for them to poison the only Faerie dragon in existence.
It's after this point that I took over. I've already had my first session, where the party went to a different continent.

The big, over-arching goal for the campaign is for the party to get to the top of the column, which is in space, and commune with the 'gods'.

How would a D&D character survive in a vacuum? How would a D&D character possibly go into space?

Is it like a magical satellite or technological satellite?

Can't you just put some sort of orbital station on the top of the thing, call It Olympus and call It a day?
No need to interact with the vacuum itself

In Volo's it mentions the Mind Flayers being able to make an item called a Survival Mantle. It is a nonmagical equivalent to half plate that allows the wearer to breathe normally (even explicitly in vacuum) as well as advantage on cloudkill and similar effects. (page 81 VGtM)

But the spells you can prepare aren't tied to your spell slots for clerics, aside from the restriction that you can't prepare spells above your spell slot level. If you mean that it takes up spells that you could prepare for other things then yeah sure, but increasing your Wis also increases the amount of spells you can prepare, as well as a host of other benefits. The question you then have to ask is "Am I using all the spells I prepare? or can I give some of them up to rituals and concentrate my spell slots on my more useful spells?"

Probably stupid, but kneehigh water- difficult terrain, what other effects should it have in combat?

Could be either. Could be both.

I'm inclined to think its technological.
The same DM a few years ago had a grand plan for a D&D campaign, where we'd run into some dudes who turned out to be Space Marines, and they had a crashed ship on some mountain somewhere and then it would turn into Rogue Trader. That campaign only lasted 2 sessions, though.

Might have them fighting Mind Flayers at some point, then.

Don't most undead not have any need to breathe, therefore making them fine in a vacuum? Most of the party seems to be drifting towards evil alignment, perhaps they could try to become Liches or something? They wouldn't need to breathe then.

>when furries emerge in my thread.jpg

>Nearly every part of a cave fisher is
useful after the creature has been dispatched. Its blood is alcoholic and tastes like strong liquor. Several dwarven spirits include cave fisher blood as part of the recipe, and some dwarves, especially berserkers, drink the
blood straight...Cave fisher meat is edible,
tasting much like crab cooked in strong wine.

Is the new Cave Fisher designed with Dungeon Meshi in mind?

As the other user pointed out you can already do that.

You could have the BBEG be a mad wizard who wants to become a lich, as part of his plan to kill the gods and become the one true god himself.

He could also be engineering a primitive kind of spaceship to get up there, which would have a rocket engine fueled by the souls of the innocent.

My players once survived a vacuum by sealing their heads in water tight suits full of water and casting water breathing.

Anyone have any ideas for an unorthodox good backstory for a barbarian?

Lost son of a fallen noble family, raised in exile and hellbent on becoming a mighty warrior and reconquering his ancestral lands

A missionary for a western/catholic themed church arrives in an Asian themed land. He considers everyone around him savages, but everyone around him considers him a savage. it makes him so angry these uncivilized eastern morons ignoring his wisdom, he just wants to fight them sometimes!

A fan of a book or book series with a serious anger disorder. The author writes or changes something that he doesnt like and he goes on a quest to find him.
Basically nerdrage.

Highly trained and disciplined master swordsman, almost without peer amongst mortals and able to surgically strike a man through the heart without causing him to bleed.

Who was hit in the head by his wife after she believe he cheated on her. He survived, but is now brain damaged and can't remember how to sword the way he used to.

So instead he swaggers around the battlefield swinging a big fucking hammer and trying to not succumb to amnesia and forget why he's even fighting these cunts in the irst place.

Former racing champion Kirk McDouglas loses an arm in a horrific race crash (burns all over his body). Gnomic inventors make him better, stronger than he could have ever been otherwise. His arm is replaced with a mechanical limb that allows him to punch/grip/shoot/etc.

Either Inspector Gadget or Cable, depending on how silly you want to get with it.

Do you think it would be reasonable to add a "sabre" weapon what would be like a rapier, but with slashing damage?
I would like a good finesse weapon that is not a rapier, and scimitars just look like some dual-wielding meme. Not sure why they even consider light if they weight more than a rapier desu.

Member of a noble family which has had the 'go fucking berserk and smash the shit out of everything' style passed down through the generations as a secret family martial art. There is no greater honor for a member of the family than to apply the art.

just make scimitar deal 1d8 and rapier deal 1d6 with light
makes much more sense if you ask me

How was the oxygen in the water replenished as they breathed it and exhaled CO2? Water Breathing means you can breathe underwater like fish, but if the oxygen is depleted you suffocate anyway.

A Lich raises a Skeleton and imbues him with power and free will, asking for small and seemingly innocuous favours every now and then in exchange for the maintenance of this magic.
The Skeleton often ponders his existance and the bits of memories he has from his previous life, while also trying to piece together what the Lich is up to and what is his part in it.
Is this a good enough backstory for an Undying Patron Warlock?

advantage on saving throws against fire damage

All of these are great ideas, ty!

Control water pumping water through a tether.

Should be fine. Seems silly that every sword & board dex user has to use a rapier, or lose damage, while a str user would get the choice of a; battleaxe, longsword, flail, morningstar, rapier, warpick or a warhammer

It wouldn't make sense for a rapier desu, since shortsword already does that.
But I would definetly split scimitar into an analogue of a shortsword, which is listed now under scimitar, and into a longer version, simillar to a rapier.

And disadvantage against lightning

What are some cool things a 11th level illusionist villain could do with a permanent Major Image?

Speaking of illusions, what would be some good class features an illusion based warlock patron could have?

You don't know that. We can never say what kind of horrible things Hitler might've been guilty of, if he had been able to post on Veeky Forums.

Slashing weapons don't do finesse. All the weapons in the base game that can trigger sneak attack do piercing damage, to represent the accurate penetration of a kidney or other organ/weak spot.

scimitars have finesse though

GODDAMN WHAT THE FUCK.
DISREGARD THAT I SUCK COCKS.

Yeah, but he didn't post on Veeky Forums. So as it stands now, Hitler is completely innocent.

He'd probably be a regular neet from /pol/

Whip too. You can cut net with whip but not with dagger.

>I try to cut the net with my dagger
>You stab at the net but nothing really happens
said no dm ever

It a refluff scimitar. No need to bloat out weapon list.

> "But mom!! RAW said you can't do that!! Only slashing damage can cut the net!!"

It's not just a refluff of a scimitar, but actual stats changes. I would call it more of a rapier refluff with slashing instead of thrusting, if anything.

>Martial melee weapons
Falchion - 1d8 slashing
Estoc - 1d10 piercing, two-handed (no finesse)
Lucerne hammer - 1d10 bludgeoning, heavy, reach, two-handed, special (counts as polearm) [same as halberd/pike but bludgeoning]

>Refluffed weapons
Half-pike or spontoon - as estoc.
Khukri - as handaxe.

>Masterwork weapons (uncommon, non-magical)
Dwarven masterwork hammer - 2d4 bludgeoning
Elven masterwork curveblade - 2d4 slashing

Lads I've been thinking about creating a character and I'd like some input.
He wakes up one day and his wife, who is his soul mate, is gone. There is no tracks, no signs of struggle, no one knows anything or has seen anything and he cannot think of a reason why she would have left or who could have taken her.
But he swears revenge on whoever took her and wants to devote his all to finding her, finding out who took her or what happened and exacting his revenge.

Do you have any ideas what class he might be?
Usually I like to play rogue characters but I don't see this fitting very well.
I was thinking maybe a paladin or something of the sort but he loses faith in his deity and turns from them. Is anything like that possible in 5e?
I know back in the day paladins lost all their powers by renouncing their god, has that changed?

Thanks for your input

Oathbreaker paladins exist

>Usually I like to play rogue characters but I don't see this fitting very well.
>I don't know who you are. I don't know what you want. If you are looking for ransom I can tell you I don't have money, but what I do have are a very particular set of skills. Skills I have acquired over a very long career. Skills that make me a nightmare for people like you. If you let my wife go now that'll be the end of it. I will not look for you, I will not pursue you, but if you don't, I will look for you, I will find you and I will kill you.

Rogue can work

Paladin of Vengence. Using whip.
Bonus point if the reason his wife dissapear is because of vampire and, he has to sacrifice her to create a magical whip to kill said vampire.

Warlock, make the Pact in exchange for getting your wife back

Boom. 2 bears, one stone

How should warlock patron demands work? Is it something the DM should make up? Or something the player should make up in the background and the DM tries to implement in the game? or should it just be ignored?

Decanter of endless water and a blowoff valve would work.

Convenient plot points fo the DM

In which page of what book does it say that PC need Oxygen to breath? Show it!! Show it!!!

Well, you are right in that, generally, all the weapons that trigger sneak attack do piercing damage. Rogues are not proficient with whips and scimitars by default, though some DMs let'em have it.

If you think it's going to be more of an inconvenience for either you or the player than an opportunity then you may be better off just ignoring it or coming up with something really simple like "Every time you use your powers I get stronger too so just keep at it."

No ideas?

It should be done in a similar way to a cleric or paladin getting requests for aid from their church or order. If you work with the player, you can have it be something more frequent they have to do.

Oxygen? What is this? Everyone knows that living beings simply require to be surrounded by elemental Air to live, as the quickness of the air is needed to give quickness to the body.

Water Breathing simply uses magic to allow the substitution of water, as water has a measure of the same quickness to it. Notice there are no 'Earth Breathing' or 'Fire Breathing' spells - how preposterous those would be!

>Implying moles and sandworms aren't Earth-Breating

Would a magical shield that can cast Shield be too redundant?

I am completely innocent.

pls respond

Driven by madness. Tharzidun or another cool Great Old One has whispered messages of insanity into a perfectly normal mercenary or soldier or clansman or whatever. Bound for supernatural bouts of rage and chaos, you now have to confront with the fact the a potentially evil force is manipulating you over time.