The Calvin and Hobbes RPG

Well, after a few weeks of college tests, sleepless nights, and boring work shifts, I was finally able to sit down and get this finished. I present to you the first draft of The Calvin and Hobbes Tabletop RPG.

To-Do List:
1. Argue with Veeky Forums about my RPG design choices(What we're doing right now), and work to improve the game as a whole using the feedback/skubtastic arguments.

2. Re-write everything. I mean, it's not bad... but I'm the first to admit that I write with far too much brevity. Also, I'd love to have the flavor text sound like Calvin when he's monologuing. Unfortunately, I'm not great at that, so if a fellow user would like to volunteer, that would be much appreciated.

3. Give the document a makeover and design character sheets. You know what's ugly? A plain white background and a Calibri font with little to no imagery. If we're making a Calvin and Hobbes RPG and not including Bill Watterson's art in the rulebook, then we're doing something wrong here. Again, I have absolutely no artistic talent, so any user willing to give this game the look it deserves is pretty fucking awesome as a general rule.

4. Find something to talk about in this thread besides the RPG itself. Because I hate threads that are stuck in a linear path of discussion. Remember the Pepsinomicon? That Eldritch Tome of Madness was half the reason the original thread did so well. Let's do that again.

5. Decide on a new Project. Heh. This is what I'm most excited for. I've got a small list of projects I'm working on that seem to have some merit, according to Veeky Forums, so I'm going to let you guys decide on my next main project. I'm hoping to contribute effectively to the Veeky Forums community on a regular basis, so I'm also working on several side projects, including a Dwarf Fortress Supplement for GURPS, as well as stuff for our latest Homebrew Chapter, the Rad Marines.

Finally: Mr. Rogers and Bob Ross want us to achieve our best by working together, so let's do some good and make them proud.

I hate to suggest significant rewrites but I suggest transposing the setting onto Steve Jackson's Toon to have better play tested mechanics.

Howsabout you go chew on a brick?
This was written specifically because there was no satisfying system for a Calvin and Hobbes game, and OP was showered in praise and expectations back in the original thread. People want to see this because there was no good way to capture Calvin and Hobbes before, and then you come in and shit on it because there's a "better playtested system" out there.
What about we never make any new games ever again? Hell, we have GURPS, and that's well-tested and works for everything. What about we burn our books, delete our homebrew and throw out all our non-GURPS dice, because we're all going to play the same system?
Just because something else has been proven to work for one thing doesn't mean that it automatically works for everything else, and by now I'm almost sure that you're just a troll. No one else could casually shit on someone who actually got nothing but encouragement and expectations from the beginning.
Playtesting is a part of development just like writing and thinking up ideas. Should we stop playing every setting but Wraeththu because it's unpleasantly huge and thought-through already and the writing has already been done?

Fuck you. This is what we've been waiting for. Back in the old thread Adderall-kun promised an RPG built from the ground up. Well, he delivered, and then you had to go and shit on it.

Looking Good so far! Don't have time to read through it now, but I'll take a look ASAP.

This is really fucking neat.

I'd prefer that we keep things fairly decent around here. I'm not a fan of threads that devolve into huge pointless arguments... well, except for the occasional Dwarf and Elf threads. Those get meta as hell.

Thanks. This means a lot to me

Also, I have a request to make. I'd love to see this System in action. If at all possible, I'd like to see someone run it on /qst/. I don't have the time to run it myself, but would you guys be interested in playing this?

>That pic.
My heart... I was not prepared for this.

Also thanks! This looks pretty good. Feels fairly lightweight, but solid mechanics, and plenty of room for flexibility.

Huh. I thought that you'd just quit and forgotten about it, as with most projects. Color me pleasantly surprised.

>What about we burn our books, delete our homebrew and throw out all our non-GURPS dice, because we're all going to play the same system?
Sounds good to me

So, this is where I make my case for multiple systems.

Gurps is great. Amazing in fact. It'll run anything, but it won't run everything as well as it should.

Have you tried running something light with GURPS? It's impossible. Sure, Toon does a reasonable job, but In the end it just feels like someone repurposed a larger system to do something it was never intended to do. I've tried creating a JoJo campaign using gurps. If doesn't work, because you simply can't bend the mechanics the way you want.

Bump.

I was mostly being facetious because I'm working on a homebrew system myself, but I see your point. I just like to shill GURPS because it's my favorite system, and as a bonus it triggers the 3.pfags

Alright, here's a short list of the Veeky Forums-related projects I've been working on.

1. Crypt Raiders: a rules-lite skirmish game with a Gygaxian motif. One side plays as a group of weak kobolds, relying on traps and home field advantage in order to defeat the opposing team of adventurers.

2. Gun Sluts. Transpose a Gurps Armaments supplement to the Maid RPG. Basically a game designed for our brothers over at /k/.

3. Rebuild FATAL from the ground up, and make it playable at Leather-cons and such.

4. Rick and Morty Setting guide: a guide on how to run a quality comedy centric campaign without it being terrible. Uses Rick and Morty, HHGTTG, Discworld, and other examples of good, adventurous humor to provide a guide on how to create organic humor without it feeling shilled.

5. GURPS Dwarf Fortress. Already working on this in my spare time.

6. Finish the Rad Marines. Because they deserve it.

Got any other suggestions? What should be my next big project?

>Calvin & Hobbes RPG
>It's not running by Calvinball rules
You had one fucking job, Veeky Forums.

Calvinball is an optional play mode that I'm working on at the end, and yes, it will run on standard, national level Calvinball rules.(Internationals are shit)

>GURPS Dwarf Fortress
Hey, were you in that thread the other day?

Yep. We're still working on it through the Discord. Though we're currently fooling around with a Succession play of Dorf using some Dinosaur and Firearms mods.

>Pepsinomicon

I recognize that unspeakable horror

Was the original thread for the C&H RPG the thread where the pepsinomicon became known, or was it circulating before?

First time I saw it was in a thread a few months ago complaining about SJWs/post-modernism/feminism/English class/whatever over on Veeky Forums. Not sure when exactly it made the jump over here though/

Might have been my thread. Never saw it on here before.

>I just like to shill GURPS because it's my favorite system, and as a bonus it triggers the 3.pfags

You're the reason we can't have nice things on Veeky Forums

Bumpity.

Currently working on a secondary revision, this time with Calvinball rules implemented, as well as a potentially modified stat system. Probably release it later this week.

Bump because I was in the last thread and love this idea.

Nah, it used to come up fairly regularly in filename threads.

this is really neat, on my first glance through. I'll give it a more detailed looksie a bit later, though

Bump