Rewording mechanics

Hi Veeky Forums; got somewhat of a quandary.

So I'm running a "Intro to RPGs" type deal for my friend's LGS, and I've decided to use Savage Worlds as my basis. However, due to my audience in this LGS, I've been politely requested to remove gambling references, which I have no problem with, because it's mainly 13 year olds that I'll be GMing for.

My quandary is: In Savage Worlds, the usual 'success model' refers to dice roll results as a Miss, a Hit, a Hit with a Raise, a Hit with 2 Raises, and so on. I need to remove the word 'raise' from the terminology; wat do?

Current ideas:
>Degrees of Success
A Hit becomes '1 degree'. A Raise becomes '2 degrees'...

>Degrees Over Success
A Hit is just a success. A Raise becomes 'a degree over'.

>Just the numbers, as is standard for 3.PF games round these parts
4+, 8+, 12+...

Politely tell them to fuck off. Several other games use the term "raise," off the top of my head it includes 7th Sea (both 1e and 2e) and Legend of the Five Rings.

Honestly, I'm torn between either 'choose a different system, most likely some kind of d20 homebrew'; or cancelling the entire event due to the overprotective parental concerns. Savage Worlds is by far the system I'm most familiar with and able to tweak to fit my needs.

Take your ball and go elsewhere. Any nitwit that gets scared of a term they think they heard on "World Series of Poker" is not worth the time.

If you are already censoring your game, ask the person whom requested you censor. If you think they will cancel your game if you ask and you still want to run it, use degrees.

What kind of repressed shithole are you playing in?

I'd go with "success" "success with bonus" "success with double bonus" etc.

Then again, Bonus is on slot machines so you are pretty fucked.

>Pic. Triggered.

I disagree with the Pic entirely.

"it's offensive" is not a universal label you can apply to everything. Something being offensive is entirely subjective to a persons point of view. Therefore there is ONLY "I'm Offended" because it's all opinion.

Which goes into: Why the fuck are you trying to differentiate them, unless you are scapegoating?

Utah?

So, if someone's offended by an apple, are apples then inherently offensive?

Because the people who complain about various things being "offensive" are using it to mean there is something objectively wrong with those things and therefore those things should not be allowed to exist.
For example, the damsel-in-distress trope is "offensive" in the sense that some people are offended by it, but that doesn't mean you shouldn't be allowed to use it.
No one ever says "that is offensive" without an implied request to remove the "offensive" content and attempt to shame the artist. It's never just a declaration of subjective taste.
Even the obligatory disclaimer "yes, you legally have the right to free speech, but..." is no longer necessary to these people. They literally, LITERALLY, say the exact words "free speech is hate speech" and you can fucking Google it if you don't believe me.

But think of the Children!

Tell the whiny cunts to fuck off or get their shit pushed in. The worthless pieces of garbage need to learn that maybe life isn't tumblr-safe-play censored

Boost, Rise, Gain, Jump, Hike, Escalation, Step

I have to say though that I'm not sure that "raise" honestly makes sense in a purely gambling context, where raise indicates that you're betting more, not winning by a wider margin. In the context of employment, a raise is a reward you get, often after doing a good job, so it makes more sense in that context (though it's still a bit of a stretch).

Why don't you use a different rpg?

>use a different RPG just because you'd have to rename something

Talk about throwing the baby out with the bathwater.

Or maybe...
Success. Two-fold success. Three-fold success. Etc.

I seriously have never understood the "Muh children muh gambling" shit

Do people think kids will discover that they can bet items on games of chance and the kid will start gambling everything he owns?

Religion makes people dumb.

I'll take my fedora, now.

Fold is also a poker word. It doesn't mean the same thing in this context, but neither does "raise". I have to wonder what these people do with their laundry.

Also, it makes no sense to me that people who are afraid of gambling references would be okay with their kids playing a game that involves dice.

Kids like bombastic adjectives like "super" and "mega" and "ultra", so I'd make a scale of increasingly ridiculous adjectives.

>I've been politely requested
You're being forced. Refuse and explain that you wont run a game if you are forced to change established terminology.

He is not your friend, he is an asshole. Use the proper terms and anyone who complains is immediately banned from the game for being disruptive. Preferably from the store altogether.

>fold
OY VEY BOOK ME A TRIP TO VEGAS I JUST RELAPSED INTO MY GAMBLING ADDICTION! LAST TIME THIS HAPPENED I WAS ARRESTED FOR SHITTING IN FRONT OF THE SLOT MACHINE

>Fold is also a poker word. It doesn't mean the same thing in this context, but neither does "raise".
Yeah, but fold is way more different.

>Also, it makes no sense to me that people who are afraid of gambling references would be okay with their kids playing a game that involves dice.
It's ridiculous, but at least they're letting their kids play. And if all it takes to appease them is for OP to change a word or two, then more power to him.

But his friend is the owner.

That said, OP, if you have to get rid of 'raise' because of gambling, you should also remove: win, loss, money, card, dice, chip, house, river, hand, play...

>'raise' is a gambling term.

That really raises my blood pressure. The way some people raise their children, I swear.

>Yeah, but fold is way more different.
A raise in gambling is something you usually do when your hand is better (or you're at least bluffing it is), and a raise does increase the amount you win (if you win at all, that is).

Meanwhile folding is something you do when you give up on a hand. It mitigates your losses, but means you cannot win. Also two-fold affixes a number to "fold", which kind of announces a change in the way it's being applied.

People like that cannot be appeased. They have to be thrown into the mud squealing like a pig otherwise they'll pass their mental illness onto their kids.

>People like that cannot be appeased.
And yet, they're letting their kids play and only asking that they change a few words. Silly? Yes. "Oh my god, this ruins everything!"? Hardly.

Are they going to be reading the book? Because I guarantee you, they will find it just as silly as it sounds and only be more interested in why you are changing words. Once you explain this to parrents, just go ahead and change it to "Hit with x Extra" or whatever sounds more natural to do. Don't change what hit means tho, you will only confuse yourself. I.E. Hit with 1 degree of success = hit with 1 raise.

They're inherently offensive *to someone* you dingus.

Since people are arguing about the OP image anyway, here's it in context so we can all argue more accurately.

The problem here is, someone's taken exception to something. Often, Savage Worlds doesn't care how MANY Raises you have, just so long as you have at least one - the usual exception being combat-related rolls, such as Fighting, Shooting, Throwing and so on.

So in 95% of cases, OP can just go for 'success', 'critical success' or what have you - Acing a roll can be fluffed fairly easily, 'exploding die' or what have you. Just explain the math rather than giving it jargon.

My two cents?
Failure. Success/Hit. Critical Success/Critical Hit. 2x Critical Success... and so on.

But they're not offensive as a whole.

They literally can't be.

You have succeeded in making offensiveness a spook.

Don't raise your voice at me

I'd argue that there is some minimum threshold for something to be considered offensive. It has to offend a significant portion of people. I mean, if we're to apply the term as anything other than an indicator that the person who uses it means "that offends me".

>spook
Hey, that word was used as a racial slur by some people at some point in the past!
It's an inherently offensive sequence of letters regardless of context or intent! APOLOGIZE!!

And these are the people we raise on the pedestals, ladies and gentlemen. Unworthy of praise, these victims of craze, they are a mistake that only a retroactive abortion can erase.

OP mentioned 13 year olds. It's possible that the reason they're doing this is because of state law restricting gambling more than usual state law, and perhaps the gaming store has already had run-ins or is afraid of run-ins with such laws.

Then again, people can be shitlords.

Welcome to the complex world of objects and subjects. What you have here are two things:

The subjective: a single person (the subject) finding something offensive. (Offensiveness is entirely determined by an individual; objects don't have an inherent property of offensiveness that people can tune into.)

The objective: taking a consensus on offensiveness from multiple people and acknowledging that consensus as an object in itself. (Bear in mind that here objective means neither 'absolute' or 'unbiased', in fact it's still something relative that ultimately traces back to individual subjective views.)

Of course these nuances are beyond the average popular debate, particularly in SJW land, in which people freely state opinions as absolute facts in the shrillest terms they can and go straight to ad hominem if anyone disagrees.

>I need to remove the word 'raise' from the terminology
Please tell me you're joking.

Tell that to the people who say "This offends me" and expect the world to bend around their will, like an entitled shitlord child.

>if

You think someone being offended by a fruit is too absurd to be true. That's cute.

This will never not make me sad. How deranged do you have to be to look at something as delicious as a pomegranate and think "Man, that definitely reminds me of a ripped-open heart"

I've seen this image before, but it had not nearly as many .jpg artifacts and there was no ifunny watermark on it.

The problem of the current generation of "morality" is that it is assumed that the burden of making effort to not offend anyone lies with the one who speaks.
That is frankly mind-bogglingly stupid assumption to make, because the burden should lie with the one who listens to not get offended.

The tone of discussion should not be curated to adhere to the worldview of the multitude of people, the multitude of people should adjust their worldviews if they wish to participate in the discussion.

Take it or leave it - but don't tell me how to express myself, and don't assume that your arbitrary standards are universal and anything but just that - arbitrary.

>How deranged do you have to be to look at something as delicious as a pomegranate and think "Man, that definitely reminds me of a ripped-open heart"
I mean, it IS the plant's reproductive organs ripped apart and you feasting on the nourishment encased with the fetal young.

>the plant's reproductive organs ripped apart and you feasting on the nourishment encased with the fetal young.
Well, that does make it sound pretty metal and hot

>particularly in SJW land

Be fair, user. It happens in MRA land too.

Gambling may not be legal here in Utah, but man even my very LDS in-laws aren't THAT bad.

Please tell me I'm not the only one that can look at something offensive that's being used in a useful way, and say something to the tune of, "I find that offensive, but I can see the use of it; I will avoid this thing every chance I get, but I will not dissuade you from using it."

Also:
>They literally, LITERALLY, say the exact words "free speech is hate speech"
I think there should be certain things that it's acceptable to just say "no, go fuck yourself," to, in public, and this is one of them.

This. I remember, back in high school, every time anyone pulled out cards of any description, one of the teachers would walk up, interrupt play for, like, a minute to, "make sure no money was changing hands," then hover around the area until they had to go do something incredibly urgent or the cards were put away. Magic: The Gathering? Yep. Yu-Gi-Oh? Mhmm. Pokémon? You bet. There were a couple of outside sitting areas that were fairly safe from those kinds of shenanigans for about a month or so, but around the same time, we were told we weren't allowed to just go sit out there. They were only for through foot traffic. No, not even if we just wanted to go outside and eat away from the noisy crowd in the lunchroom.