EDH/Commander General

Commander You've Had the Longest Edition

Old: RESOURCES

>Official Site: Contains deck building rules and the current ban list.
mtgcommander.net

>Deck List Site: You can search for decks that other people have made. Authors often have comments that explain their deck’s strategy and card choices.
tappedout.net

>Another resource for commander discussion; they have an entire forum dedicated to discussing decks. People often make primers, which go into detail about how they built and play their deck.
mtgsalvation.com/forums/the-game/commander-edh

>Statistically see what everyone else puts in their commander decks based on what is posted to the internet.
edhrec.com/

>Find out what lands you can add to your deck, sorted by category, based on a chosen Commander’s color identity.
manabasecrafter.com/

>CARD SEARCHING

>Official search site. Current for all sets.
gatherer.wizards.com/

>Unofficial, but has GOAT search interface.
magiccards.info

Other urls found in this thread:

tappedout.net/mtg-decks/27-10-16-SZp-erebos-edh/
tappedout.net/mtg-decks/erebos-god-of-life-drain/
tappedout.net/mtg-decks/whorde-of-notions-1/
twitter.com/SFWRedditImages

only commander I own is oloro desu

Gross.

What causes someone to pick such a boring commander and decide, "You know what? That's going to be my one and only commander!"

How do some people manage with only one commander? I have a problem in which I can't stop getting excited about new ideas and new decks. My office playgroup barely ever plays anymore and yet I keep building and spending my money.

I know that feel. I keep telling myself I'll stop buying and building new decks but I lie every time

Oloro is the kind of commander you recommend to your'e mental challenged friend who never heard about magic before

Trostani was my first.
Tell me about it.

Well, I only have Niv- Mizzet. It's been three or four years, and it's a labor of love. I'm the kind of person who multiple formats, but one deck in each format. I'd rather be really fucking good with one deck than spread out and be okay with several.

I still have my first commander, Niv-Mizzet.

Although not a single card from the original deck remains.

tappedout.net/mtg-decks/27-10-16-SZp-erebos-edh/

Ere day I'm hustlin

Not even Niv-Mizzet!?

Well at first it was a ravnica Niv Mizzet, now it's a GP top 8 promo Niv.

Or island/mountain ?

Now it's Japanese MPS promo Islands/Mountains.

I've disassembled all of my oldest decks, but I've held onto my Sidisi, Brood Tyrant for a few years now.

I think it is fine for starting players to focus on just one deck, but beyond that, yeah it would be suffering.

My group seems to have the opposite problem though, where most of our players are constantly churning out decks, making alot of them pretty unfocused and subpar. I really wish they put more love into their decks.

Longest running and still favorite commander.

I only play maybe every 2 months with friends or with my brothers. They use my decks.

I still build new decks constantly, ordered the commander 2016 decks and visit this general almost daily.

Damia was my first, but I've had Narset for the longest.

I started EDH with the c13 decks. I still play them, except Derevi.

Best 2 color lands ever.

What are some creatures in red/blue/white that get absolutely stupid huge? Don't need to have evasion or protection or anything, just enormously fat

how's the deck play? slobad's one of my favorite characters in the whole magic storyline but his card looked so underwhelming

That super secret tech is 10/10.

Chasm Skulker and Hamletback Goliath.

Serra Avatar.

For cheaper creatures, Sunscorch Regent and Taurean Mauler come to mind

I've literally never been allowed to play it, but I use it as my deck mascot, 100% possible foils.

Are there any good Green and/or Red token producers that are 4 CMC or less?

these are perfect, thanks! another one I thought of is the new ojutai bird from C16

He isn't a huge impact on his own, but with artifact recursion stuff having an at-will sac engine for cheap can be very nice for reusing stuff, and you don't have to worry as much about artifact removal with him so overextending is less of a risk. And it's fun to blow up the world with Obliterate or Jokulhaups and keep most of your stuff. He can be pretty slow though.

I like night soil for its double purpose

>Daretti
>Angry Omnath
>Purph
>Narset
muh nigga

Sprout storm and Awakening Zone

Do you need the tokens to be colored, or just the source?

I had built Nicol Bolas with a discard/swampwalk theme but it was really bad. Fire Whip was an all star though. Eventually it shifted to a "BUR burn" but shortly after everyone started moving away.

Later I did Palladia-Mors to be a hipster with newer cards but it was still pretty bad.

Fucking hell user. I can almost understand having only one EDH deck. But solely playing Oloro? How does your brain not fall out of your head?

If there was an "EDH for dummies", Oloro would literally be on the front AND back cover.

Kuldotha Rebirth
Molten Birth
Tempt with Vengeance
Beetleback Chief
Brood Birthing (situational)
Dragon Fodder
Empty the Warrens
Goblin Assault
Goblin Rabblemaster
Goblin Warrens
Hanweir Garrison
Hordeling Outburst
Krenko's Command
Krenko
Mogg War Marshal
Rakka Mar
Snake Basket
Young Pyromancer
Awakening Zone
Goblin Offensive
Beacon of Creation
Night Soil
Ulasht (not really but y'know)

at 5 cmc you get Siege Gang Commander and Mycoloth and Goblin Rally and Emrakul's Hatcher

don't really know green ones as well i'm sure there are a bunch more

You DID run Dragon Tempest, right?

Preferably the tokens would be red and/or green as well.

What are some of the best firebreathing effects? Sokenzan Spellblade and Moltensteel Hellkite come to mind, but are there any others?

it didn't exist at the time

I play magic on a super low budget irl, and oloro is flexible and inexpensive. I usually just play on xmage instead

Moonveil Dragon

I've had pic related for what seems like ages now. The only reason I originally built him was because I was beyond sick of Oloro. Everyone and their mother played him at the time.

I try to keep him more control oriented with the wheeling and drawing as the win con.

Beetleback chief
Empty the warrens
Dragon fodder/krenko's command
Hordling outburst
Wort, the raidmother
Krenko, mob boss
Artifact mutation
Fungal sprouting
Arachnogenesis
Jade mage
Various thalids

>Mycoloth

pls no

Oh and Xenagos

For more green ones that make eldrazi there is nest invader, kozilek's predator, eyeless watcher, call the scions, from beyond, scion summoner, and vile redeemer

Chainer was the Commander I've had the longest but Teysa was my first commander deck I built physically. After Teysa I built Chainer though.

Behold! The dopest new deck to go into the Razia deck!

Does that work how I want it to?
Does buyback add to the cost of the spell, thus you can convoke for it?

Yes

Honestly, the only good one really was Nicol Bolas and MAYBE Arcades Sabboth.

The others were pretty shitty. I wanna rebuild Chrominum though.

Thanks guys!

>Everyone and their mother played him at the time.
>Plays Nekusar

I'm honestly not sure if you're joking or not.

When my playgroup was all sucking the Orlo dick I built Erebos. Most fun I've had in a long time.
Death wish for Soul Conduit made them so sad.

Just to make sure, you realize Razia doesn't prevent damage, right?

A few threads ago someone asked about getting xmage to work on windows 10, did that ever get solved? I can't run the program after I extract the files. There's no executable file.

Yes.

tappedout.net/mtg-decks/erebos-god-of-life-drain/

List if anyone cares

I just think it's really neat

Years I have had this bad boy.
From his wee moments of Ramp and Fatties to the Age of Superfriends piloting Kraj has been a wild ride.

Patron is the oldest and still my favorite. It's also the one I've put the most money into (Edric is the most expensive overall but I haven't spent as much improving the core of the deck)

i'm a dumbass and forgot the image.

I've been thinking of building a Kraj list, anything I should avoid or needs to go in that isnt obvious?

Anyone?

I manage because I'm a college student and that shit's expensive yo. I keep brewing new decks on Xmage and I'm currently trying to settle on one to assemble irl. Currently on Sidisi. Already passed up Living Daxos and Angry Omnath after lots of testing. Next on my list are Alesha and Zada.

My only deck irl is Meren but I need to expand so I have something new to play with with my friends.

my favorite deck that is not mine in my playgroup is my friend's nekusar theme deck. it's not group slug or force-feeding, it's fucking LICH KING'S UNDEAD ARMY. he has sedris, thraximundar, grimgrin, all the zombie lords, etc. you can ask him about any single card in his deck and he explains how it ties in to the theme. also lot of reanimation spells he only ever uses on opponent's creatures.

he rarely wins but I always smile watching his deck play out.

That sounds really fun actually.

The joke is that she's worthless.

Godo's been in my rotation since I started EDH. It's not my best deck, but I enjoy playing it the most. Even though mono-red can be ass sometimes.

Nekusar was mine. Had it built into the same shit everyone else does with him, after that it would've been brimaz until I realized how shitty mono W is unless you run cat tits or nahiri

I like your taste!

except edric fuck that guy

guys why has almost nobody been talking about yidris?
i'm just a casual but i'm gonna have a good time with my silumgar, drifting death build that is focused on dragons and merely uses the cascade for value
what do you think?

A bunch of people have been talking about Yidris. He's probably the most talked about of the 4 color commanders next to Atraxa. I keep seeing several lists posted around here for him.

new commanders are all in sort of an awkward spot; not good enough for competitive, 4C is too hard to manabase for most casuals, commanders aren't interesting enough for most people in the middle of the road

my two cents at any rate

Does anyone know all the MTGO bugs with Karador cards?
I know Saffi just flat doesn't work online but I learned (and lost because) Evoke doesn't work with Karador when casting from the grave. It still wants full cost.

Got anymore?

How do you increase the power of an Ezuri, Claw of Progress deck? Sage of Hours is great, but only comes up once.

So far it's just 'get to big experience and then apply pressure', but it's really easy to hate him out. I fold to basically any deck in any of the Grixis colours.

It depends on how you're playing him. What's your strat?

Recently got the cash to make a pet deck. But I'm a shit deck builder. How does this look?

tappedout.net/mtg-decks/whorde-of-notions-1/

Avenger of Zed does insane work, Mycolth as well.
Anything that makes a lot of small tokens.

I've mostly been building around him. +1/+1 matters, power 2 and below. Go wide with small creatures, then drop Cultivator of Blades/Wild Beastmaster/Champion of Lambholdt and smash face.

But it's too reliant on boardstate and crumbles to wipes.

>one of the players in my playgroup had a bad experience with mtg and stopped playing
>little by little they started playing other hobbies
>I am the only one who keeps buying and building decks

>ctrl+f
>2 results

in the last few threads i'm seeing a few decklists posted, but not all that much discussion about it, just some basic deck help/pointers

is running 6x signets a bad idea?

Kaalia.

Yeah, my group has that problem. Lots of the players at my college have tons of decks, but their decks are shit. It's like they just see a new legend or precon and throw some slapdash assortment of cards together. I'm not knocking on them, but I hate feeling guilty/having to handicap myself because my small stable of decks has been ruthlessly improved and tuned over the years, an unfortunate side effect of playing at a store full of tryhards. Thankfully I can pick up Gay Kings and have a deck that isn't a killing machine that sows salt.

Oh, and pic related is the oldest one I still have together, and the one closest to my heart. I started with Oloro and quickly realized the error of my ways. I tried Lazav, Walker Ob, and Dead Sidisi, before finally enjoying it the crisp feel of playing mono-blue.

MTGO is the only place I can play other than Midnight on Fridays after work. It can be spendy if you are trying to do both at once though.

Mycoloth takes too long to work in my experience

I like Hooded Hydra personally because you can just pop him into a pile of snakes right away

Yeah, I am not a fan of mtgo, if only mtg had an equivalent of Devpro/Ygopro, I would be glad even if it was paid.

>$2760.38
ahem

I don't see why you need all five swords

If someone casts Ruination/Blood Moon/Magus/any other nonbasic hate you are in a big, big pickle

I think more ramp would benefit you and I don't think you need that much creature removal; as horde you are less playing answers than playing things that need to be answered

Depends on if you're in green and how much artifact hate is in your meta.

What do you mean?
Like free cards and you have to act out the game actions or more automated like MTGO?

cockatrice

all the ramp I can think of just fetches basic lands, and I've only one of each so if I draw more than one ramp card they'll quickly become dead cards. The swords are mostly for laughs, and I kind of agree I might need more threats, but I don't know what to add in. I want to keep all the creatures elementals but I've already got just about all of the good ones there.

>$2760.38
less than a month's pay now.

>g
yes, this is for yidris
i saw someone suggest kodama's reach & cultivate, i have the cards rampant growth (2cmc but fetches 1) and explosive vegetation (puts 2 on field but 4cmc, i'd rather 3cmc) so i'll try to swap those out

>artifact hate
not really, we're mostly casuals. this will be my first real deck too. i'm not sure about signets

The general consensus I've seen is that Yidris, along with the other 4c commanders, are spread too thin and their shtick is done better by other generals.

That being said, if you're determined, I'd say that running that many signets wouldn't hold up too well. Tack advantage of green's natural colorfixing with cards like Cultivate or Traverse the Ulvenwald. Cards like Chromatic Lantern and Darksteel Ingot will probably go a long way too. I'd run a couple signets, but not too many. Just make sure you have a good focus nailed down or you're going to find yourself pulled into too many directions at once.

I was pretty interested in building the 4c at first as well, but the more I looked, the less I wanted to. I was incredibly hyped prior to spoilers, but the reality of it came crashing in when I finally got to see what I had been waiting for. Landbases can get expensive if you want it to run smoothly, so you have to sacrifice a lot of space to manafixing spells and artifacts. That leaves you less room in an already tight box. You're trying to fit in stuff from 4 different colors that may not synergize well already, but you're also losing slots to manafixing at the same time. They can be fun to theorycraft for and should be decent for fun kitchen table games if you play them against one another, but optimization is a nightmare.

I'm the kind of guy who pains over balancing my pile of cards for hours on end, and even finds joy in it, but there's seemingly no perfect balance without going way out of budget. They share a problem with 5c decks in this. Your mana is hard to make work when you need it to. That, and they lack some focus and can end up being good stuff. Slivers are about the best way to go at 5c, but that's because they're a fancy, consistent tribal machine.

tl;dr
ZETSUBOU

xmage too

There are a bunch of minor things that I don't like in mtgo, like the edit of the card textbox, UI, bots to test your decks, and etc.
Being free is definitely an advantage, but I do buy shit to get cards in Pokemon tcg online, I can see myself doing the same for mtg, if it was anywhere near as good.

It's a pain in the ass to do everything manually, even updates.

Looks like you got the Farseek, but there's also Ranger's Path, Skyshroud claim and Nature's Lore and even more.

thanks for all the words and recommendations

>should be decent for fun kitchen table games if you play them against one another, but optimization is a nightmare.
that's what i'm looking for, kitchen-table tier stuff. there has been one maelstrom wanderer and he stomped one game then never brought that deck back again. some of our players run unmodified precons like walker Ob Nix

>Just make sure you have a good focus nailed down or you're going to find yourself pulled into too many directions at once.
pic related and everything that implies, plus temur ascendancy and some charms

The more power to you. Stuff like Traverse the Ulvenwald and the new cards with basic land cycling should help smooth it out for kitchen-table fun. Mulch might be decent too depending on how many lands you run.