BOARD GAMES GENERAL

/bgg/ - Board Games General

Previous
Resources (reviewers, Veeky Forums groups, good online vendors, game accessories)
pastebin.com/NA2W929q

What did you play recently?

What's your favorite game mechanic?

What's your favorite theme?

What's something that disqualifies a game for you because you dislike it so much? Like a certain mechanic or theme.

Other urls found in this thread:

boardgamegeek.com/boardgame/47055/high-frontier
drive.google.com/drive/folders/0B8xlQYyEm7zMfndSdWZPdHpEYk1sZjctdWhwOThneF9ZR2Ryd21PZW9mbFZrNHVWR0RQeE0
twitter.com/AnonBabble

Any thoughts on Castles of Mad King Ludwig?

I can get it pretty cheap but I've heard people talk shit about the poor quality cardboard components.

Anyone care to weigh in?

>What did you play recently?
The Duke and Dead of Winter: The Long Night

>What's your favorite game mechanic?
Can't really pinpoint that

>What's your favorite theme?
Somwhat realistic sci-fi but I like many themes

>What's something that disqualifies a game for you because you dislike it so much? Like a certain mechanic or theme.
If it's Star Wars or Warhammer I don't even look at it. Same with legacy games. Ugly presentation or artwork or components also kills it for me even if the gameplay is great.

Can I get some feedback on pic related? Anyone here played it? I'm very interested but not quite sure what to make of it.

Imhotep, Broom Service, Nations: The Dice Game, Coal Baron: The Great Card Game, 4 Gods, Takenoko, Lost Legacy, Mystic Vale

Dunno. Game mechanics on their own don't have any value for me.

Anime and manga, I guess?

>What's something that disqualifies a game for you because you dislike it so much?
Negotiation, worker placement, zombies.

was about to make a thread, glad I refreshed one more time before I put any effort into it

haven't played anything this weekend, so my most recent is space hulk death angel from a few days ago. will be playing a game of hidden intruder here soon

fuck that's tough. I really like tile laying and negotiation

again this is tough, but going based on number of games I like that have that theme, I'll have to say the general aliens/x-com theme. death angel, level 7 omega protocol, and xenoshyft

zombies and cthulhu instantly turn me off. they don't automatically disqualify a game, but I won't have any enthusiasm going in for a game with either of those themes. I have absolutely no interest in action/movement programming games, and a deckbuilder needs to be pretty special for me to consider buying it, although I'll play most without putting up a fuss

Gallerist, Voyages of Marco Polo

Dice placement, engine building

Sci-fi I guess

>What's something that disqualifies a game for you because you dislike it so much? Like a certain mechanic or theme.
Social Deduction

7 Wonders Duel. First 3 plays today and I enjoyed it. Never played 7 Wonders original though.

Hidden Traitor. Love the accusation, lies and general suspicion. Leads to great games, with great 'gotcha' and 'aha' moments and discussion after!

Toss up between politics and civilization building.

Race mechanics aren't great. I hate the Firefly game with a passion. Also bland theme/components. Exoplanets has a good idea but the pieces are so uninspiring it just feels so 'meh'.

How do you like Marco Polo?

Dear /bgg/, I am buying a fuckton of board games for a friend of the family who's recently gotten major surgery. The friend in question likes deckbuilders and Eurogames.

My current list:
Castles of Burgundy
Sushi Go
Coup
Hanabi
Stone Age
Mysterium

Went to a meetup today, and here's what I got up to:
>12 Days
Babby's first bidding game, but it was a cute and (sorta) seasonal ice-breaker.
>Hare & The Tortoise
Kinda reminded me of Quicksand, but with a bit more going on. I liked it.
>Catan
I know, I know, but a newcomer brought it in and I couldn't bring myself to say no.
>Bang: The Dice Game
Not many people knew how to play, but they got it almost immediately
>Blueprints
Ehhhhhhhhhhhhh... it was novel, at least.
I love me some hidden objectives
I'm kind of a sucker for licensed games... does that count?
Not sure... I got rid of Ponte Vecchio because the box art was more fun than the actual game, does that count?

Is this a good game for a bunch of guys who want to play something that offers action? Also, is it 1 vs many or all players vs the game?

Likes deck builders?
Valley of the Kings! Valley of the Kings! Valley of the Kings! Wait, maybe Nightfall...

Oh wait, did you mean things like MTG?
Ashes! No, Epic! No, Ortus Regni!

Also, what you currently have looks fantastic.>What's your favorite theme?
>I'm kind of a sucker for licensed games... does that count?

Quick, post the /co games image that would get people triggered over your trip name and "spamming" habits.

So how does /bgg/ play bg irl? Does your game store have weekly meetups or do you have a circle of friends who play?

I always play with either my friends or my girlfriend but I've decided to go to a meetup soon just to meet new people and play new games and play my games with new people.

it's 1 v rest

Can do!

who in their right mind would recommend heroclix

>Ugly presentation or artwork or components also kills it for me
>interested in Food Chain Magnate

Wew

Its a top 5 for me. Variable set up, strong player powers, a little dice chucking, all scratch a certain itch for me.

FUCKING SPAM-ASS TRIPFAG GTFO

Just played Catacombs for the second time.

It's fucking amazing, I can't believe we're not drowning in clones of this. Disk flicking is the future.

I'd love to see either a Catacombs Legacy type game, or a tabletop RPG based on Catacombs-style combat mechanics.

Has anyone here played High Frontier? I've been obsessed with it ever since I found out it exists but I never played. Still waiting for the 3rd edition...
It looks incredible.

Components are so-so, but the gameplay is solid. Have you played Suburbia? It feels a bit like a refinement/deepening of those mechanics.

What do you do in it?

How does it play?

Share your excitement with me

Catacombs is like your standard dungeon crawl game. Most players play heroes who need to clear several rooms full of monsters, while one player plays as the monsters.

The twist is that instead of attack rolls, the game uses dexterity. Your characters are all represented as wooden disks. Your standard melee attack is represented by flicking your character into a monster - every monster you hit (directly) takes one point of damage. Most monsters have only one or two health. Your standard ranged attack is represented by putting a tiny arrow token next to your character and flicking that at an enemy. It's harder to hit with the tiny token, but it keeps you safer.

The game has some of the standard RPG status effects to keep it interesting, but it's at its best when it leans on the physical side instead. Some monsters use tiny tokens, and trying to hit a rat with an arrow is a fool's errand. The Fireball spell uses the same exact rules as an arrow, but the fireball token is physically larger. The freeze spell places a disk on top of your target, and they stay frozen until that disk somehow gets knocked off.

The game also has immovable obstacles represented by huge disks inset into holes in the boards, and these allow quite a lot of tactical positioning. But there's no complex rules for concealment, flanking, movement ranges, or whatever the hell. It all falls out of the physical nature of the game, entirely naturally.

What. The fuck. Is that?

>Still waiting for the 3rd edition...
Eklund said if we don't have it by Oct 2017 he's cancelling his contract with the publisher, producing it himself, and donating copies to the jilted backers.
Either way my KS record stands to be 4 for 4, so I'm not too worried.

Interesting, sounds pretty neato actually. I like the obstacles idea a lot.

Thanks buddeh.

Then you should look into Flick'em Up! or disc duelers.

My friends and I have likened disc duelers to Worms 2, albeit you need to come up with your own accents, and every worm has an individual power.

1vRest and very good if you can get your heads wrapped around the Line of Sight rules and maybe modify them to taste.

>1vRest
How do think it does/might compare to Doom? I'm definitely getting that, does that make Level 7 redundant?

It rewards repeated play. In fact, first play may feel too "random" (you can get absolutely hosed by cards you didn't know existed). From the second play onward, you'll develop a better sense of what to look out for.
>Play recently
Played Mission 2 of MvM again today with a new group. It was a lot more rules explanation than I was expecting actually, and we fudged the timed draft for a few rounds so everyone else could get familiar with the cards. My meetup friends were pretty impressed with it. We won with the help of Fuel Tank again, a card which obliterates up to 48 minions in one shot
Also played Treasure Hunter, which felt very similar to Medieval Academy. Even though I got absolutely slaughtered, it's impossible to deny its charm. I'd call this a great alternative to Munchkin actually
Also played a small quick game called Rumble in the House. Filler hidden identity game that's well worth the very small time investment
>"Dealbreakers"
Kickstarter game, and I've never heard of the publisher. I'd sooner buy Mechs vs Minions again
Meetup.com. We meet in a restaurant that barely tolerates us. I also have high school friends who indulge me after our MtG sessions

Really wish I knew. Previews for doom look good, but they're marketing material. I've got Level 7 and I'm probably getting Doom if early reviews don't dumpster it, so ask again in a couple months.

I don't like Flick 'em Up nearly as much as Catacombs. It's slow and doesn't really take advantage of the game's physical nature nearly as much as it should. Ricochets not counting as hits is like... an extra rule dedicated to not having fun.

>disc duelers
Haven't heard of this before, thanks for the recommendation.

I think he might have meant the older doom game

Nah, I mean the new one, I thought they released the rulebook.

Can I ask a question?

Anyone play Mansions of Madness 2nd? How many hours have you spent on just the base game? How many hours do each of the 2nd ed expansions provide?

Not really looking for judgment on the game just how many hours did you spend before it and the app became uncompelling/cumbersome. (mind you I'm strictly playing single player)

Thanks- here's a pic of a zombicide solo random map I'm playing now.

I see a lot of people here complaining about poor quality components, even going as far as saying that keeps them away from a game.

Is it really THAT big of a deal? I mean as a big advocate of P'n'P, I don't see how having a card made of plain paper, or a piece of cheap plastic hinder the game...

of course I want to get my moneys worth, and if I am buying a game I'd rather have good components, but not as far as saying I wont buy a fundamentally good game because it has sub optimal components.

I'd rather PnP a good game for

Picked up 4 gods on a whim about a week ago, finally got to play it the other night.

For anyone wondering about it, I definitely recommend it if you're looking for a short game but with decent depth. My friends and I always end up only getting to play one, maybe 2 games a night, because so often we play something that takes us upwards of 3 hours to get through. Then we usually fill in the remaining time with small quick games which, while fun, don't offer a lot of depth. 4 gods is just the right amount of time to act as a great filler game, and it's simple yet deep enough that it kept us interested. We immediately played 2 more times after the first play through, and all in all, we only spent maybe an hour and a half on it (maybe 2 hours if you count rules explanation and setup/takedown)

Thing is I would rather PnP a game than buy one with good components.

Like The Duke, the game is really well made with nice wooden tiles, but I still chose to PnP it since I don't give a shit if my tiles and carved from oak or some other shit, its still the same game.

>i don't like owning nice things

I bought The Duke because the game is great and the components are great. I wanted to support them for that and I'd feel shitty if I "stole" the game by just printing everything. If the company is shitty or the game has something about it I don't dislike like the theme or some mechanic or the components I'd be more willing to go the pnp path.

>I don't dislike
-don't

> What did you play recently?
Middle Earth Quest. I think we're doing something wrong because in our group Sauron never lost.

> What's your favorite game mechanic?
I like cards. It's just something about them that makes it interesting (and all related mechanics - card drafting, hand management etc)

Looking at board game geek I also like games that have the following: Area Control, Action / Movement Programming, Modular Board, Partnership, Variable Player Powers.

> What's your favorite theme?
I'm a sucker for fantasy. Give me elves, dwarves and magic and I'm happy as a pig in the mud.

> What's something that disqualifies a game for you because you dislike it so much? Like a certain mechanic or theme.
I have a long list of red flags

1. If it's dead / getting the game is hard (Thunderstone)
2. Too much optional content in a strategy game. I loved The Gods at War - then I saw how much shit the author planned to optionally include and my interest turned to zero.
3. Thematically not really a fan of anime but to disqualify it would have to look like pic related.
4. Imprecise rules or if the game has to add in house rules to be viably played
5. Lack of optionality - i.e if there's only one winning tactic or viable tactic
6. Lack of player agency - if your turns take half an hour but you only made one decision (go left or right) during that well I'm not gonna like it

I'm gonna go in a different direction and talk about a game I loathe. Pic related is probably the worst game I have ever played. You do nothing. You do nothing for 3 hours. You start with your shitty little character and you roll and that's where the important decision making comes in. Do you go left or right? Damn, tough choice. Let's go left and draw a card. Oh look it's a monster with 8 strength and I lose 1 health. Fun. Now wait for 10 minutes until it's your turn again. I guess I'll go right this time around. Another monster but this time it only has 5 strength. I roll and actually win, cool. Now what? Oh, nothing? Wait another 10 minutes? Hm, okay.

3 hours of that. This fucking game... I'd literally rather play chess in that time because at least I feel like I'm doing something and make important decisions. Talisman is a fucking nongame. It's more of an activity than a game. You spend your time doing nothing, but that nothing is dressed up as a fantasy game. I wouldn't even complain if it were a 1 hour game no man. Just no.

I only heard that Polish version best version.
I have a friend that's almost like my "people's dealer" because most of my friends don't live in the same city as me.

We usually play 1-2 per week either at my place (because it's bigger) or his.

That said I started going to a board game bar when we don't meet or I want to get with new people (1-2 per month usually)

Kind of want. Catacombs seems like the bomb but I currently have a lot of 1vMany

Flick'em Up doesn't seem to cost that much and it's up to 10 players and pretty casual.

I'm only afraid that my group will say it's too "kiddy."

Any other dexterity games worth looking into? Polarity seemed fun but can't find it anywhere.

Yup, Talisman is shit, welcome to the club.
Just so you're prepared for future /bgg/ visits, Munchkin (SJG in general) is shit, Cosmic Encounters is shit, Shadow Hunters is shit, CAH is shit. Make sure you never pass up an opportunity to slam these "games" with unrepentant fury and you'll do fine.

Also try to drop in references to high speed rail

It ultimately has to be played like "screw your neighbor". Without pvp it's going to be very conservative until someone pushes the point.

If there was no vidya and all you had was time it would be easier to see it as a highly competitive, kill on sight, type of board game.

Just like how rune bound could be. pvP is very important in driving the game forward.

How the hell is Cosmic Encounter bad?
Also, CaH while its a super casual game, does what it intends to do and does it well.

I understand the hate for it because its very casual, but you cannot say its objectively bad when it fills out its goal and its niche.

>I'm gonna go in a different direction and talk about a game I loathe
>different

Cosmic Encounter is bad for the same reason that Munchkin is bad.

It drags out unnecessarily because all people gang up on the guy that's going to win.

At least that's why I dislike it. There seems to be no tactics apart from "keep your head down until you get 1-2 cards that will allow you to power through the last encounter. If anything CE is even worse in this regard because the attacks are random.

Everbody dislikes CAH because it turns into 3hr slog fest where you're supposed to pretend that "Pac Man uncomfortable guzzling cum" is funny for the 300x time.

From my experience CaH is a great ice breaker, fun opener for a evening with new players / casual players and I have a 10points or 1 hour rule to stop it from dragging on forever, so yea that works.

A nightmare. Or a dream.
Either way, it is not real.

>it is not real

boardgamegeek.com/boardgame/47055/high-frontier

I feel there's a great deal more tension to Cosmic and more involved in the approach to the final stretch than Munchkin. No matter what your thoughts, you've always been much more alone in hating this game than the majority of these threads. I hate Resistance but I wouldn't tell people everyone in this thread hates it.

I probably spent like 15ish hours with the base game, but that's including a solo playthrough of the 6 hour scenario.

The expansions add monsters and map variability to the base scenarios, and each one enables one new scenario. I've only tried the one that comes with Recurring Nightmares, which I thought was okay but not my favorite.

To be clear, I'm not even close to done with my enjoyment of the game. I still want to get the good ending in some of the scenarios.

If you're strictly playing singleplayer it's not a bad choice to get. Some scenarios will provide new surprises each time, others won't.
Preach

Anyone have a clue how to get Vast: the Crystal Cavern, without giving up and arm, a leg, and a kidney?

I have never seen anyone hate on Cosmic, not here and not anywhere.

I did see some people say that the game is not to their liking, or that its a bit to complicated to explain, but never have I seen anyone flat out say its a bad game.

On the contrary, I've seen people who are not big fans of the game say it is a good game, just doesn't fit their taste.

I started with the add ons because I'm addicted to expansions. Someone send help, I'm eyeing flick em up and it has 2 expansions!

Anyways. I've gotten 2 game nights out of it so far which has provided me with 6 hours of fun through 2 scenarios. I imagine it's slightly shorter for singleplayer. The expansion adds variety with or without the specific scenarios but so far it seems only the first one uses the bonus tiles randomly. The Innsmouth campaign was a set map and scanning to see if it changes, I saw an NPC in a new location but the streets seem the same.

If you're willing to spend some effort in lieu of money, you can just print these up:

drive.google.com/drive/folders/0B8xlQYyEm7zMfndSdWZPdHpEYk1sZjctdWhwOThneF9ZR2Ryd21PZW9mbFZrNHVWR0RQeE0

Hah, you need to lurk more then. CE is complete dogshit, unreservedly a bad game.

No, I'm pretty sure it's mostly you. People usually add it to recommended lists.

As long as it's a recommended list of what games to avoid, then that's fine. Otherwise, congratulations, those people have proven themselves clueless.

It's not just . Personally, I would rather leave a gaming meetup early than play Cosmic Encounter again. Of course, anyone who likes CE is probably also familiar with enough other games that I don't have to make that choice often, which might be why you see less hatred directed against it than against Munchkin.

You will now google Ashes: Rise of the Phoenixborn, claim your waifu and then we will discuss the game.
>pic related is taken

Whoever is hating on Cosmic Encounter: csn I ask why? I think it's a good game about diplomacy and bluffing and much less luck-dominated than people think

I missed out on the last meetup in my area due to getting hockey tickets at the last minute. Now I have to wait a couple more weeks to get to play with people.

Being a fan is suffering.

Also, god damn plaid hat get your rules and distribution shit together. Was supposed to be looking forward to a christmas box set this winter.

In other news, I claim the abs man, and enjoy this game a lot

I tried to like this but the art was looked horrible to me.

I think there's at least 3 people in this thread that are of the same opinion.

See

And much more regulars and lurkers are of the opposite.

Whenever I have seen Cosmic fall flat, it is due to people playing straight. No banter, no bluffing, no allied wins. And at that point, yea, the mechanics alone make the end game very munchkin-esque.

Play it with lots of wheeling and dealing is how it needs to be approached.

Supposedly now that the Big Stuff has happened, or is in the final step of happening, Asmodee will help them get it together on both fronts.
On the other hand maybe they were only interested in Z-Man and could not give less of a fuck about PHG. We'll see, but I am hopeful.

Good pick there. Solid competitive choice too... Unlike mine.

>Munchkin (SJG in general) is shit
Revolution is pretty solid.
>Shadow Hunters is shit
Explain.

I'll explain it to you:
In Shadow Hunters people tend to attacj from the first round just because they can, fucking themselves over on a 50% chance, the game usually has a couple of deaths before people even begin to glean who's what, someone fucks up by killing a very obvious Daniel then they all complain the game is garbage and completely random.

I feel like 2 things make it no where near as bad as Munchkin. Shared victories is big, you don't need everyone against you, if you get one player on your side then you drastically increase your odds and don't have to share the glory. The other thing is less chaos. Munchkin is a giant deck of completely random cards. Cosmic has 2 major shut downs. Card zap and Cosmic zap. They are very easy to count, there's 2 of each. Other than the occasional flare which often work just as good offense, you know a lot of info going into your attack and your chances. I've had a game go for an extreme of 2 hours but generally no where near Munchkin and keeps itself much more interesting in general.

I think you are just playing with retards.
Dont blame the games because your friends have the attention span of algee.

>everyone attacking on turn one
>oh, there's your problem
>you play with retards

Never saw this every happen except with a group that never played board games, and couldnt even bother to read their abilities or properly learn the rules.

>End of the game, only one character was not revealed
>it was Daniel

Just do not play with idiots and it is a fun, short enough, team game.

Cosmic encounter has problems. Early game is dominated by negotiations for straight colony swaps, lategame is dominated by hoarding NOPE cards until people run out.

But as a negotiation game, it does have quite a bit more going on than Munchkin. The comparison isn't necessarily wrong, but it's reductive.
And it doesn't drag on nearly as bad as munchkin.

>it is due to people playing straight
This. Apparently people e-mailed SUSD after their playthrough of it who were surprised that you were supposed to talk.

I don't think they are idiots, we play some pretty heavy games and everyone's attention is on point.
I think they start with the assumption that social deduction games are shit, so they don't bother playing them decently, so the game ends up being shit cause of that... A self fulfilling prophecy.

What is your personal fave deckbuilder and why

And while being aware of the fact that your team hates these games, you base your opinion on said games on your sessions with them?

If you are biased at least have the decency to say so before you bash a game, or at least say its your opinion.
Speaking as a relatively new player, seeing someone bash on a game you might like can turn it from a 100% to 0% even after a ton of research.

Valley of the Kings when the wife and I want to be competitive and mean to each other. The small size makes it portable friendly, the things it does differently (choose to keep card in deck or remove cards from your deck so you can actually win the game, the pyramid market) are a breath of fresh air to the normal stuff.

Nightfall when friends are over and we want more direct conflict.

So then it isn't that Shadowhunters is a bad game, just your group does not see the point in it. Either sell it, or bring it out with a different group.

I know my gang won't enjoy penny pinching, token counting euros, but that does not make Agricola or Puerto Rico bad. I just won't waste my money on games that won't make it to the table.

Puzzle Strike, because every other deckbuilder is a solitaire Dominion derivative, often worse than the original itself. Puzzle Strike succeeded in taking the formula and doing something different with it.

So I take it you have never heard of Nightfall then?
That is a shame. The chain mechanic is a hoot, and it is all about the PvP

I didn't bash the game user.
See this guy?I am not him.

Anyway, if it wasn't clear from my post, let me spell it out for you: I was bashing the way people tend to play it, not the game itself which I love. Look sarcasm up.

The comparisons aren't entirely wrong, but it's both simplifying all the reasons people hate Munchkin and exaggerating the extent to which Cosmic has that problem.

I know it's a hyperbole to say only one guy here dislikes it but putting it on a mass hate list is just trolling.

Well I have never hears of Nightfall but I'm about to change that.

So this weekend I played Celestia, which is ok as far as push your luck games go, but a bit convoluted for what is ultimately avery simple game. Smash Up, a game I like, but this was a horrible game. One of my friends had his first analysis paralysis attack ever playing this game. That's not something I expected from Smash Up ! And finally we got to play the latest TIME Stories expension and it was pretty fun.
I dunno, I like deckbuilding quite a bit I guess.
Horror Wild West (When Shadows of Brimstone came out it seriously felt like the game was made FOR ME because I have wanted for something along that line for years), general horror, exploration/indiana jones stuff. Still waiting for that one great zombie game too (like the theme in theory, but dislike most games)
So far I havent found a single coop with hidden traitor I like. I'm still hoping I'll find one I like though.
I'm becoming increasingly suspicious of any game that describes itself as an hybrid (Cry Havoc, Blood Rage...) I like my games to be either straight euro, or full ameritrash

>the way people tend to play it
Not the user criticiising you, but you only gave the example of your group playing it because of their bias against deduction games. That does not speak for the majority of players that "tend" to play it the way it was meant to be played.

Bring it out against a different group, and you can finally enjoy it the way you wanted to.

It is getting harder and harder to find, but you can find some dirt cheap copies at miniature market. Base game and first expansion going for like 40$ total.

The way you play cards is simple: every card has a main colour (or moon) and two colours it can partner with. When I play a card, it can have other cards "chained" to it if the subsequent card's colour matches the previous card's partner colours. If you build your deck right, you can make obscene long chains of cards to field large armies or combo action cards to wipe out opposing players.

Did I mention you can chain on every other player's turn? That is where the amusement ratchets up to 11.

>thinking user-kun can just up and go make new friends
Where do you think we are posting?

In a thread all about people hosting game nights, going to conventions, and playing with a myriad of different folks.

Mind you, I preach about board games wherever I go, have played ti3 with complete strangers (my lebensraum plan meant I never got invited back), and have played board game in several provinces across the "great white north" and made plenty of new friends along the way.

Never gone to a convention though, it's my one true regret.

But that's just me :^)

>Any other dexterity games worth looking into? Polarity seemed fun but can't find it anywhere.

Tok Tok Woodman is an excellent filler game for playing while you wait for people to show up.

Bandu, Junk Art, and games like them are pretty entertaining.

Jungle Speed is good.

And while it's not the same sort of dexterity, String Railway is a great light strategy game where you have to get pieces of string to behave in order to do any of your moves.

Bumpin cuz everyone else is out to lunch

Is it just me or is this game unbalanced? Like, there are five ways to lose and only one to win. You must pay attention to both getting all the cards, your SAN, the Shoggoth and the cultists.

Even the original Pandemic wasn't that hard as far as I remember.

>combat system that's novel without being too gimmicky
>prices usually okay for what you're getting, if you buy online/at a convention
>chance to pit Chun-Li against Batroc the Leaper
I'm not saying it's perfect, but it's better than it has any right to be.
Paperback, because I rarely get to play word games at meetups

I wanted to get paperback because the concept sounded so cool.

Then I thought that people would kill me for a word-game in English. Shame that I can't get that in Polish.

Star Realms. It's the only one I really get to play, because it's quick to set up and quick to play.

>there are five ways to lose and only one to win
That's co-op games in a nutshell.
And Pandemic is pretty easy anyway.