/btg/ - BattleTech General

Big Green Shadow Hawk edition

The /btg/ is dead - long live the /btg/!

Old thread: →

=================================

BattleTech video-game pre-alpha gameplay
youtube.com/watch?v=FjEeDz51pHE

Spotlight On: Crescent Hawks
mediafire.com/file/0dxjflc1r382s2j/E-CAT35SN101_Spotlight_On_Crescent_Hawks.pdf

Touring the Stars: (Ha ha) Butte Hold
mediafire.com/download/c5ggig1wz21l8r0/
E-CAT35SN210_BattleTech_Touring_the_Stars_Butte_Hold.pdf

==================================

>BattleTech Introductory Info and PDFs
bg.battletech.com/?page_id=400

>Overview of the major factions?
bg.battletech.com/universe/great-houses/
bg.battletech.com/universe/the-clans/
bg.battletech.com/universe/other-powers/

>How do I find out which BattleMechs a faction has?
masterunitlist.info/

Unit Designing Softwares
>SSW Mech Designer
solarisskunkwerks.com/
>MegaMek Lab
megameklab.sourceforge.net/

>/btg/ does a TRO:
builtforwar.blog(not spam)spot.com/

>How do I do this Against the Bot thing?
pastebin.com/pE2f7TR5 (embed)

>Map of /btg/ players (WIP):
zeemaps.com/map?group=1116217&add=1

>Rookie guides
pastebin.com/HZvGKuGx (embed)

>Sarna.net - BattleTech Wiki
sarna.net/wiki/Main_Page

>Megamek - computer version of BattleTech. Play with AI or other players
megamek.info/

>BattleTech IRC
#battletech on irc.rizon.net

>PDF Folders
mediafire.com/folder/sdckg6j645z4j/Battletech
mediafire.com/folder/cj0tjpn9b3n1i/Battletech

Other urls found in this thread:

discord.gg/3KuMhXf
mediafire.com/folder/tw2m414o1j9uj/Battletech_Archives
twitter.com/SFWRedditVideos

NOT EVEN JUSTICE, I WANT TO GET TRUTH.

My UMU omni brings all the Spheroids to the yard.

We will never approve of your independance from our Federation.

All must bow before the White American Protagonist faction.

Gentlemen, take the standard 2H Shadow Hawk. How do we fix it?

>tfw you got into the game through MechWarrior 2 and MechWarrior 3 and had no idea what a Shadow Hawk was when you first heard of it

I don't know what to make of this

Take out the missiles and put a bigger version of one of them in, add another ML.

Turn it into the -5M?
MAybe swap the SRM2 for more laser?

Make it a Griffin.

It makes you desire UMUs and LRTs.

Turn it into a -7CS or -7M.

Large laser for the AC, upgrade the SRM to a 4, then a ton of armor and lots of sinks.

In case anybody feels like joining, I made a Battletech Discord server:

discord.gg/3KuMhXf

GAS THE CLANNERS WAR OF REAVING NOW

ONE OPERATION BULLDOG WAS NOT ENOUGH

Step 1: Stop trying to match the performance of the other 55 tonners taken from the Dougram series. Step 2: Make it the Star League's (and later the Successor State's) generic trooper medium.

Give it basically anything but a fucking AC/5 for a primary weapon

AGAIN, the Crescent Hawks and Butte Hold links are dead, and you forgot the other Mediafire link, get it right next time.

mediafire.com/folder/tw2m414o1j9uj/Battletech_Archives

And OP didn't use a Battletech image, for God's sake

Get it together next thread

That's a Shadow Hawk / Dougram. What are you talking about?

Exactly, that's a Dougram pic. A bad one, even, where you can hardly see the robot

>can hardly see the robot
>u wot m8
Have you actually expanded and looked at that image? It's pretty obviously a robit.

It's a close-up shot, you idiot. Stop being argumentative just to be a dick.

Are there any merc groups or organizations that are descendants of the Rim Worlds Republic?

I know of a couple, like Fuchida's Fusiliers and the Blue Stars Irregulars. Are there others? Is there any semblance of organizations hearkening back to the RWR?

GAS THE CLANS

SPACE WAR NOW

Didn't mean to quote your post since it's unrelated

>hurr durr dougrum not shadyhock
>hurr durr too close up
>hurr durr stop being argumentative just to be a dick.

Facepalm-inducing hypocrisy. I bet you're that one disgruntled FWL shitposter too. Seriously, kys.

OP

the mediafire link to the crescent hawk PDF is down.

user

It was pointed out

Made a Catapult-K2 with 17 Machine Guns and an ER Large Laser.

Shit's actually tons of fun.

BRRRRRRTapult? I am intrigued and would like to know more.

>FWL shitposter
Eh?
Different user here. You talking about Muninn?

I have no idea how to export those fancy text images like , , and .

But I actually made it 29 Machine Guns. Here's an exported PDF since I'm a fucking scrub.

>set them all to burst fire

Good lord.

Know your place, freebirth insects.

Move the medium laser to the torso to optimize it's use of the Battlefists quirk. maybe swap the AC for a large laser if you don't mind the heat, but it already does 15 damage average when you keep it at it's 6 hex optimal range and that's only one point less then the Wolverine and Griffin.

It might just manage to cook off the ammo from Rapid Fire MG's fire alone, I'm impressed.

I'm having a giggle.

Use SSW's export to text function, then paste it into Paint. It's not complex.

I've been using the MegaMekLab.

I'll snag that.

You can do the same in MML, it's just not as useful, because the MML team have strange ideas about user friendliness and functionality.

That's what I saw, I didn't want to spam out a wall of text and take several screenshots.

Just too lazy for that shit.

What's the deal with the U, UU, UR, RR, etc for the TROs in the mediafire?

>MadCap
>massive Zeon fanboy

I actually like the dude, but... Why am I not surprised?

weebs, man

U is Upgrades, which is in-universe and in publishing order the most recent version of the TR.

R is Revised, which is a corrected version of the original, sometimes with some new units.

Is there a PDF of a final version of Interstellar Operations anywhere? Only beta stuff in the pdf links in the OP

How do we fix the Quickdraw? Simply point those rear lasers forward?

And was the first combat use of the Assassin ever retconned?

Put the rear lasers in the arms.

>How do we fix the Quickdraw?
Make lasers forward facing and move all of them into the torsos (zombie mech, a la Grasshopper), switch heat sinks to doubles (if possible) and subtract one, switch armour to FF to gain points without weight, and add CASE to left and right torsos. Not perfect but definitely an improvement.

>torso lasers
but that wastes the flippy arms of the Quickdraw, and besides, the proper melee choice is kicks at one level above the target.

I almost forgot about spooky's battletech stuff

Where are the rules located for rapid fire with MGs? How is it different from an mg array ?

On a scale of 1-Nova Cat how bad am I for not being a fan of the Orion. It plays like a fat trooper with out more flexibility or charm.

>Where are the rules located for rapid fire with MGs? How is it different from an mg array ?

The two rules are mutually exclusive. See Tactical Operations, page 102.

Depends on how you like to play.

The Orion is one of the two intro Heavies I'd say are most under-rated, the other being the Flashman, with the caveat that it didn't get a downgrade to Intro tech until the whole Unseen mess so it's had less time to make a splash.

I also think it's pretty flexible, or at least is more so than other favourite Heavies like the Archer or Marauder. One of the best armour layouts too so it's plenty tough. Outside of maybe the Thunderbolt I'd say it's one of the most flexible heavies too, especially factoring in alternate ammo types.

Admittedly it got a really shitty upgrade in 3050 which hardly helps.

What's your favorite Clan and why?

Smoke Jaguars everyday.

>Flashman
>Underrated

That thing gets its dick sucked as much as the Crab. Like all the 3025R retcons though, it really doesn't fit on the 3rd War battlefield except in very rare cases.

I agree with everything you said about the Orion though. Which interestingly plays into what he said. It really IS a fat trooper. But fat troopers are fucking great, like the Thud.

Blood Spirits

I find the thud so much more flexible and it's a fat trooper too.

Hellhorses.
Honestly, they're like DOOMGUY: THE CLAN
Even their khan went all, "YOU ARE BIG! THAT MEANS YOU HAVE BIG GUTS!"

Use rapid fire rules for the AC/10 and load the SRM with infernos. It's actually more effective. Thud looks cooler though.

I love the Orion. I has nearly everything I want in a stock mech.
And it gets even better when optimized.

"clan dindu nuffin"

t. Capellanposter

This.

I like stripping the LRM10 out for a Large Laser. Or, stripping the Medium Lasers out for a Large Laser, to better define what the hell it actually does. I also just like Large Lasers.

Ice Hellion and Goliath Scorpion. The first because SPEEDFREAKS and the second because they Nova Cat better than the Nova Cats. Runner up and honorable mention to the Snow Ravens and Hell's Horses for being cool non-'Mechaboo Clanners.

>not the version with speed blur on the girl
Not fast enough/10

This is what I did to it. Don't have to think twice about punching with it anymore, so it becomes the "brawly" member of the 55 ton trio.

I keked when that user did that after I posted it for the first time. I didn't want to steal his thunder; that was his idea, not mine.

Dougram?

I need to get to watching that again. I left off at... episode 8, I think? I know it's REALLY long.

Didn't those guys fashion themselves into all-out Mongolian style nowadays and throw money into transforming tanks?

>Sanic: The Clan
Good choice.

Muninn: I'm back in town if you can respond to the TRO emails and/or if you need revisions.

Need that pic of dashi sanic

>the prospective size of the fleet/Aero section of the /btg/TRO if they have the money to let NEA go buck wild
It'll look cool but I'll feel like an idiot reading it because I know nothing about fleet/Aero in Battletech. Still, Shimmships are pretty sexy.

Well, the question about mech "lineages" made me wonder about the original 16 Clan omnis and their descendants among the clans.

I'm sure there's info I'm missing, so if you have anything to add please let me know. The clan coloring is for the Clan it's most associated with, not the originator.

A couple of things that jumped out at me:

Steel Viper gets dicked out of anything theirs

Not much descended from the Assaults

The Vulture is a Mad Cat descendant

I'm not going to lie: if my two WarShips make it into the TRO, people are probably going to be pissed off at them. The ships are quite optimized for the ROTS naval superiority doctrine I designed; they're built to do something and they're very tightly tuned to actually do those things. The issue is that by the time the ROTS gets around to building WarShips, the veterans of actual WarShip combat have more or less all retired, and so while the WarShips do their respective jobs really well, the problem is that the doctrine itself is HORRIFICALLY unoptimized. It makes complete sense to somebody in-universe with no hands-on experience of modern naval combat, but somebody like Commander Alain Beresick would look at it and facepalm really, really hard. The doctrine makes sense in pure theory (see also: Robert McNamara's Whiz Kids), but when you actually apply it it's almost certain to completely fall apart.

That way we get WarShips that are intelligently designed instead of something like the SovSoy, but they don't end up being so good that they obviate existing WarShips. Amusing, with only a little luck a standard 6-ship squadron can actually pose a credible threat to a Lev III.

Didn't the Warhawk and the Dire Wolf have a baby and it was the Tomahawk?

At this point I don't even know if the RNS Jormungandr will make it in, despite being a much sillier BC/Carrier thing. The book has changed radically since we started, and the ISP section I'd intended may not fit.

Well here's a vote for including as many unstupid warships as you can pack in there.

No worries. If they make it in, great. If not, I can post them here anyway.

>people are probably going to be pissed off at them
Only if they know anything about fleet shit. Lev II hate is literally a meme where people have to be TOLD it's broken because nobody cares about anything but stompy or tready tanks and maybe some futureplanes and fusion-powered heavy infantry. No insult or offense intended but I doubt anyone but die-hards would see them and go "WHAT THE FUCK".

Still, excited to see how they look. I'm sure I'll be informed how offensive they are after a few people latch onto how badly you "fucked up".

Also, Hockey season. Hooray.

I dunno if it's unstupid, so notch as "How do I make a semi plausible way for the RotS to kill a Leviathan?" I figure a shitload of ASF, a decent sound of guns, and collars for Castrums would be good

See, but that's the boring, conventional way, though. Mine is much more... unique. Creativity matters.

Fucking tablet. I hope that's clear enough.

I've never been comfortable making my own warships, sadly. Not after the NAC beast.

>Clan Smoke Jaguar apparently developed the Mad Dog as a second-generation upgrade to an earlier Clan Coyote OmniMech design. Using some design molds and structures common to the Timber Wolf (aka Mad Cat)

What was the earlier Coyote Mech? How did they have access to something nobody else ever got rights for? How is it common to the Timber Wolf if the Wolves never lost production rights to the Timber Wolf?

I haven't found an explicit reference to that lineage yet.

Fairly certain the Tom is just Daishi blood.

If you like spraying bullets, you will like this.

>I figure a shitload of ASF

You need to bring 300 just to equal the internal capacity of the Lev II, then you need to bring enough to survive the 100+ capital damage per turn it can sling on every approach just with conventional weapons for long enough to chew through the 1,000 armour it has on every arc.

To put this into perspective, it can kill an Eisensturm squadron every turn just with its conventional weapons and it will take 42 turns for an Eisensturm squadron to crack the armour on any one facing.

I have a half typed up article on the Leviathan that I abandoned because at one point I decided to look at what it would take to pose a serious threat to the Leviathan using WarShips. To get something that approaches an equal ratio for damage output and damage sponging on the Lev, you literally need 3 McKennas. And the McKennas at that point can *never* Threshold the Leviathan, but will be Thresholded by the Leviathan which can also theoretically one-shot them if all the Lev's fire hits the Aft arc, but again the McKennas can never kill the Leviathan in a single turn.

Also, you know when the last time was that anyone even had 3 McKennas? The Star League.

The most plausible way for the RotS to kill a Leviathan is to somehow goad the Bears into trying to enter the Fortress then letting their anti-KF weapon rip it apart, or accelerating a WarShip to a velocity of 60, commencing a Jump adjacent to the Lev while it passes by, and hoping the KF interference rips its jump drive out.

Beating it in a straight fight is just about inconceivable.

Earlier Coyote 'Mech is, IIRC, the Coyotl. I think that's in the Golden Century historical.

The Timber Wolf, despite being more common for the Wolves, is actually really rare for them. They have way more Gargoyles than they do Timber Wolves, for example- I think in the Invasion era they had no more than 40 or so in their front-line formations, and that number would have only dropped after that.

What about a high-speed engagement or whatever it's called, the "feed both record sheets into a shredder and whichever one lasts longer dies second" one?

so i herd u liek machineguns

I like the idea of filling it with Blake sleepers, then having them kill all the Clanner scum when they least expect it.

1,000 armour is still a giant pain in the ass to deal with, especially since the speeds you need to get to for anything to have a realistic chance to beat it will make hitting it in the first place highly unlikely.

On the tabletop, or if they decided to try and have a fleet action written that accurately reflects what happens in AT, you basically need to send the majority if not entirety of the Snow Raven fleet against the Bears' single Leviathan II to kill it.

Which is fine, but now what are you going to do about their Leviathan III, which is at least 50% more bullshit than their Leviathan II?

When you really get down to it the only way to kill it is with an act of fiat.

Which I would totally welcome because it would be thoroughly justified in this case.

What is everybody's favorite battle armor? I like the Grenadier because I have shotgunned so many mechs with the little things.

>no JJs for maximum BRRRRRRT
It's like you weren't even trying.

>Beating it in a straight fight is just about inconceivable
Who said it was going to be a straight fight? It was going to be an ISP article for a reason. Remote KF drive activation and hyperspace coordinates of stars are exciting projects. As I said, the book has changed radically. I had intended my contribution to be the Spoopy Blakist Jamboree.

To expand on this, it's got 1,000 points of amour per facing, not 1,000 armour total.

Most ships don't have 1,000 armour total. The next best armour per facing is on the Mjolnir, which tops out at 504 on its nose.

You also need to be doing more than 400 damage from your Nose and Fore-Side arc in a medium-speed engagment or more than 325 in a Fast engagement from NACs, GRs, or missiles to even have a chance of a one-pass kill against a Leviathan.

Most WarShips can't even deal that in a single turn from every arc combined.

The Conqueror's got the heaviest Bow armament I can think of off-hand and it tops out at 270 in ballistic weapons. A kill through straight damage is impossible, you'd need to get very lucky with your crits.

The TL; DR response is that the Leviathan doesn't have much if anything to fear short of running into a custom ship designed for the job, while being virtually assured of annihilating any canon WarShip thanks to its own ballistic armaments getting big multipliers.

Its own guns aren't an insurmountable problem, the issues with it are more due to the 1,000 armour on each facing and the 300 integral fighters. Between those two it can laugh off pretty much any attempt to kill one.