/5eg/ D&D 5th Edition General

Volo's Guide to Monsters in the trove. Be sure to buy it and support the hobby even if you download it!

>Official /5eg/ Mega Trove v3:
mega.nz/#F!BUdBDABK!K8WbWPKh6Qi1vZSm4OI2PQ

>Community DMs Guild trove
>Submit to [email protected], cleaning available!
mega.nz/#F!UA1BhCBS!Oul1nsYh15qJvCWOD2Wo9w

>Pastebin with resources and so on:
pastebin.com/X1TFNxck (embed)

>/5eg/ Discord server
discord.gg/0rRMo7j6WJoQmZ1b

>Veeky Forums character sheets
mega.nz/#F!x0UkRDQK!l-iAUnE46Aabih71s-10DQ

Previous thread: Have you made any characters with the new races? What are they?

Not yet, no. Because forever GM. I have, however, allowed them in my campaign and regretted it immediately, since I'm DMing Curse of Strahd.

If you're going to allow monstrous races in Strahd, mandate them. Have the entire party be comprised of fuckers who aren't allowed in any town. Let this band of chaotic misfits save the day somehow and yet still be reviled by the simple peasantfolk.

Is there any class feature or other character option besides Feylock that confers immunity to being charmed onto the players?

They do have variety, you can go ranged weapon user, you can go rapier or whip + shield, or you can go two weapon fighter.

I hope they are all going pic related

Speaking of Volo's guide and Curse of Strahd, what does a wereraven kenku look like?

>much excited

Good pic

I have not yet, but I plan on drafting up some character sheets soon with the ideas I've come up with since the release of Volo's guide. I probably won't get to make sense any of them until next year though since my group is still slugging through OotA.

does anyone have any decent maps?
I really need something for a fancy party/stealth assassination mission

Like a wereraven

Would "Little-league coach" be a viable Bardic background (inspiriting others, etc).

His vicious mockery would be things like "I'm not mad, just disappointed son."

I'm quite positive paladins get charm immunity, or at least one of their subclasses do. Also elves are resistant to being charmed.

>Would Airplane Pilot make a viable Ranger background
>Would Compsci Grad Student make a viable Wizard background
I sincerely hope you mean in a modern game or else I am disappoint.

I'm thinking about running a monstrous party campaign. Ideas?

>he's never played a Baseball Player Kensai or Chinese Cowboy Monk
your loss, mate

>rapier or whip
Wow, what a great variety.
Honestly the only thing I would add is a slashing analogue of a rapier for a more or less complete package. That way you can later refluff it for either sabre, or actual scimitar, and not just "slashing shortsword", or even katana, if you wish so.

There are a few vidya game maps you can copy from.

IIRC there's like two monsters at most who make a difference between slashing and piercing, so I just keep "Cutting/Bludgeoning" as damage types

>being or having a DM that doesn't use custom creatures with all sorts of elemental or physical vulnerabilities and weaknesses
The MM really dropped the ball on making players want to carry multiple weapons or spell damage types.

But there IS a scimitar and it IS a finesse slashing weapon. The only difference from a rapier is 1 point of damage on average.

Do you think using Zelix, the illithid who runs an insane asylum in the underdark but was cut from oota, would be fun?

My idea is that the players can meet/free/(kill?) an insane Drizzt at the asylum. Zelix would be a rogue arcanist illithid.

For the asylum design, do you think a panopticon would be fun? Might add to the players paranoia

I'm fine with not making my life more complicated and not forcing players to do retarded shit like pack two swords because the devs still believe that rapiers don't slash and scimitars don't pierce.

Any word on what the next adventure is going to be? I know it'll be out around March or so, but still curious.

>packing two swords is retarded
nigga i've got eight hammers

It's codenamed "Labyrinth" and Adventure Time's creator Pendleton Ward is helping make it. That's about all we know.

just give me a PHB 2

Unearthed Arcana are becoming weekly for the next few months, so the playtesting for that (or functionally that, anyway) is beginning.

>making players want to carry multiple weapons
>tfw dm uses encumbrance and I can barely carry my gear now

>next few months
Nice. I thought it was just the 3 barbarian things

Monk with enlarge

do fists deal 1d4 extra?

It's just by it's design it is implied as a dual wielding weapon, simillar to a shortsword.
It would be just better for flavor, and in a small amount for a balance to add such weapon.
And actual scimitar was not as short and not as light as a shortsword anyway, and was probably as hard to dual-wield as any other average cutting sword. Which is actually wierd since by the stats table it actually weights more than a rapire and supposed to be "light", while rapier isn't.

>tfw your inventory is two sheets long, the DM isn't using encumberence rules, and the party still found two bags of holding
I don't even know what we're going to do with these.
If I had my way, though, it'd be filling them both to the brim with finely-ground cinnamon. Do you know how much damage you could do with two hundred pounds of ground cinnamon?

It's one thing at low levels where you're not counting on plusses from weapons, but once magic kit comes into play, no.

Hai desu

>not just using socketed weapons with +1 gems in them

Yeah, in DND, the falchion and scimitar seemed to have switched names.

>tfw vorefag
>mfw yuan-ti and lizardfolk

Lizardfolk wouldn't eat someone if they're alive and useful.
Expect them to jump your bones within minutes of your death, though.

They're pragmatic in the extreme, and thus have no sentimental value on your remains. But so long as you're breathing, you probably can serve another purpose than tonight's meal.

Where are people finding the art from VGM?
Getting good images from the books is something I've wanted for ages.

It's literally in the trove it is just right there in the trove

doho, I'm a dingus.
I'm still looking for art from other books though, mostly SKT.

>Lizardfolk wouldn't eat someone if they're alive
One of their quirks is 'I prefer my food wriggling', although maybe that means animals more than humanoids

how do you guys handle a semi-important NPC falling to 0 HP? do you just write them off as instantly dead? give them 1 death save? give them the same amount as PC?

Same as a PC.

Depends if I wanna kill them or not

If they have any business being in a fight, they get their death saves like anybody else. If they're a non-combatant or unusually frail they need extra successes.

the keyword here is rather 'useful'. if they arent useful, they might eat them alive just as well.

Our encumbrance rules are "don't go past encumbered or you're gonna have a bad time."

It's silly not to limit that shit.

> lizardfolk
OP, your DM won't allow Volo stats and will probably make it shit to play as.
> yuan-ti
You're a slave to snake-Jesus and can't show emotion. Congrats on being Edgy McBuzzkill.

Dude with the divine/arcane martial artist from the previous thread, I think I'll reroll a new character as someone said, what I get with lore bard is too fucking different.

Lets hope my GM doesn't get too upset, wish me luck.

I'm going to play a bladelock and I'm looking for pictures of infernal- or demonic-looking weapons for reference.

But most of the ones I find are shit, with piss-poor balance, unnecessary pointy bits, retarded blade shapes and so on. Anyone got pictures of fantasy-looking weapons that are also usable?

I'm the DM. Lizardfolk already had a big presence in my setting.

Hey I am looking to play a Jeeves type buttler character. What would be the most fun class to play this char in?

>looking for realistic infernal- or demonic-looking weapons
Good luck

Next time search for realistic pictures of angels, gnomes and fairies

>bladelock

I'm not looking for realistic shit. I'm looking for shit that won't kill the wielder first.

Rogue or Bard, accept no substitute.

With good rolls bladelocks can be as good as any other class.

>infernal, abyssal, bladelock
>won't kill the wielder first

You're playing a subclass all about getting yourself killed
With patrons all about trading away your life for power

And you don't want to die first

Lore bard.

When I finally get to play as a PC I am going to make a Big Boss lizardfolk and there is NOTHING you can do to stop me

>You're a slave to snake-Jesus
What?
They have like different gods and it says in the lore that many purebloods don't want to get back to being a low class citizen at home when they are ok in human society and go rogue.

Is it true that it's possible to survive and win battles in 5e without relying on magic items? Are martials viable now? Honest question. I'm considering a switch from PF.

Yuan ti learn to fake emotion, and one of their flaws? is that they can occasionally feel twinges of it.

I wanna make a cute snake girl feel twinges of emotion

Not entirely sure about the scaling, might do, might not. If you Play Lost Mines before, then simply jump directly to chapter 5 of Hoard. Have Leosin Erlanthar or Ontharr Frume approach the characters after they've gained some notoriety for discovering the Spellforge and hire them to follow a shipment of loot stolen by the cult. They end up in a Roadhouse north of the Mere of Dead Men, and there it goes.

Alternatively, you could have Phandalin be raided while the PCs are in town, assuming they've grown to care about the people there. You would have to scale things up, yes, but not that much, the module is already pretty harsh.

I was thinking rouge aswell, idk about bard I feel like it was Wooster that did most of the actual singing

I must of missed this section of the book. Where does it list the flaws and personality traits of the yuan-ti purebloods?

What makes Lizardfolk OP?

Not nessecary, but the magic items in 5e are pretty simple and fun to own. All of the marital classes are viable in their own way (Except maybe the Monk), but the gap is still there. 5e has far less number crunching and fewer splats, but what's there is easy to homebrew. You can write up a decent and balanced archetype for your favorite class in like twenty minutes.

Page 98 and 99

Yes and yes. Spells are no longer a garuntee of power, and the gaps between the classes are a lot smaller.

Magic items are optional, though it's mainly up to the DM to have them present. You don't need a Christmas tree of gear to be hitting though

Agreed, 5e is explicitly lower power, far more similar in powerlevel to ad&d.
Out of curiosity, if one wanted a 4e or 3e powerlevel campaign in 5e, is there a way to accomplish that?
I feel like the starting point would be more common magic, bonus feats, and maybe adding some fraction of level to certain Scores to increase the gap between levels. Perhaps change the scaling speed of the proficiency bonus?

You can see about a Mile off on flat land before horizon, iirc.
You could see further if no curvature of earth

There are nonevil Drow.
>Church or Eilistraee.
>Church of the Masked Lady (Eilistraee/Vhaeraun hybrid).

Vhaeraunites are typically evil, but far less backstabbing than lol that worshippers, and are willing to work off others if they have cause.

A Drow raised by nondrow is fairly unlikely to be evil.

Individual Drow have individual tendencies, and may be amenable to different views. Example: Liriel Baenre.
And depending on your timeline, one of the following is true:

A portion of the Drow don't have fiendish blood, and for them the evil is entirely learned behavior, no evil nature that they would even have to strive against.

Dark Elves are a thing again as of 138x DR. Stats as high Elves, but with Drow weapons and languages. High magic separated them from the Drow curse.

Thank you very much. I'll check it out once I get a chance to. I'll need to know plenty on them when I make my yuan-ti pureblood sorcerer spy.

With good rolls, you should play a monk or a paladin or a barbarian instead.

.. Or just a warlock that isn't a bladelock, because that's a direct upgrade.

>Out of curiosity, if one wanted a 4e or 3e powerlevel campaign in 5e, is there a way to accomplish that?
Refluff everything. Then nerf non-heroic entities.

Like the happiest person you'll ever see

What is wrong with bladelocks?

>What are the biggest pitfalls of this system and how can I work around them?
Matter of opinion, but:
>1. Lack of character options.
>2. Very limited feat slot access.
>3. Game assumes almost no magic items in-setting.
>4. Chosen power level is basically drawn-out e6 with scaled down monsters. Much lower than past 2 editions, may not suit the kind of game you want to run.

There's a shorter rests option in the DMG

I hear they're a crappier to me lock, but then I hear mention of crossbow bladelock being awesome.

So I dunno

Warlock has access to Eldritch Blast, a 120ft range Cantrip that deals 1d10 force damage

they can get an invocation that allows them to add their CHA modifier to EBlast.

Eblast, like all damaging cantrips, scales by character level.

Bladelock revolves around using a weapon that probably does less damage than your EBLast, and has waay less range, and non-force damage,

You also need to use invocation slots to get essential blade pact features.

Bladelocks also get no form of increased survivability

If so, how do we fix bladelocks?

Wtf bards don't even have to play their instruments to use them as a focus=?

They're intended to be used for NPC design but can easily be used for PCs.

>If so, how do we fix bladelocks?
Get 2 levels of a Martial class, fighter or Palla

Do you want:

A) A pact that makes you better at melee (Shillelagh), gives you the ability to increase everybody's skill checks by 1d4 (Guidance), allows you to use vicious mockery, et cetera

B) A pact that gives you an invisible familiar that acts independently of you and can grant free advantage every turn with almost no risk

C) the ability to create a weapon as an action, which you have proficiency in, when warlocks are trash for melee fighting anyway?

Go figure, C) sucks ass.
And then they unlock extra invocations:
A) gives you the ability to have any rituals you want from anybody.
B) .. Nothing of too much interest.
C) Gives you damage boosts to attempt to keep up (And often fail to keep up with, except sometimes) eldritch blast's damage, even though you already have access to eldritch blast and all its invocations

Then, why do you want to engage in melee combat on the class with one of the best ranged options?
Then, why do you want to engage in melee combat on a class that's relatively squishy in melee?

If you want to be a bladelock, don't.
Be a tomelock.
Shillelagh + Booming blade / Green flameblade.
Get levels in paladin.

Give them some feature to let them heal when they hit enemies. Maybe also make their pact blade count as magic.

That helps with survivability and their damage being resisted.

Does Mystic Arcanum count against a warlock's spells known?

pact of blade itself needs to provide more boni than just an always available weapon with proficiency. also some more defensive invocation options

I give them medium armor and shield proficiency, which helps a bit probably.

other than that, I dunno. maybe an invocation that lets them cast a cantrip/spell and then make an attack with their bonus action

also multi-classing, but that doesn't fix the problem with bladelock itself being bad. Honestly even with Multi-Classing fighter or pally or something you'd be better off with tome or chain

We remove the option.

Simple.

I've seen many, many solutions suggested, and not any one of them is better than simply just removing the bladelock pact.

Instead, an entirely new class should be made, but then again we already have paladins, EKs, rangers, bladesingers and what-have-you.

Nothing suggests it should.

That gives you minions. More or less handles 4e at low levels, I suppose.

Doesnt handle the power curve of 4e being steeper, and doesn't even touch on 3.x power level.

3.x power level has a similar power curve to 4e in terms of difference between levels, but the big difference there us the much larger variety of powers and staying power of characters for limited use abilities. Along with very common magic items, of course, which is relatively easy to do in 5e.

Helps with the staying power, for sure. Potential starting point.

That is a poor usage of sarcasm.

That's not bladelock

that's
'Pact of the fighter proficiencies'

Because that doesn't make bladelock any less trash, that just inserts a pact option that says 'You get +4 AC', which overpowers the other pacts for combat usage yet is incredibly boring.

>We remove the option.
>rather make an entirely new class instead of fixing that one archetype
thats fucking retarded.

crossbow bladelock being "awesome" has absolutely nothing to do with bladelock, it's all thanks to hand crossbow, Sharpshooter and Crossbow Expert. You also need 20 in Dex and Cha to be "awesome", and together with those 2 feats is not an easy task to achieve.

Main problem is their squishiness, but you have to be careful when improving it because you can fall in the bladesinger trap, giving it defense doesn't make melee more appealing than EB

Second problem is that, unless HEAVY optimizing, EB is better 24/7 and tomelock is a better meleelock

Is not easy to fix and probably we'll never be able to fix

What's a credible threat that could take over an Elven City, driving it's people into refugee status?

It's what valor bard does, what shouldn't blade locks get the same treatment?