/awg/ - Alternative Wargames General

Where the Hell's the Thread edition

>What is /awg/?
A thread to talk about minis and games which fall between the cracks. /hwg/ doesn't entertain fantasy (for good reason) and the other threads are locked to very specific games, so this thread isn't tied to a game, or a genre, lets talk about fun wargames.

Any scale, any genre, any company, any minis. Skirmishers welcome. Rules designers welcome.

>Examples of games that qualify
en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_miniature_wargames
Mighty Armies, Dragon Rampant, Of Gods and Mortals, Frostgrave, Hordes of the Things, Songs of Blades and Heroes, and anything that doesn't necessarily have a dedicated thread (gorkamundheim).

>Places to get minis
docs.google.com/document/d/1D2DbNJ2mYAUxh5P9Pq9NZqS5tXHGn0i2JhZchEwbA2I/edit?usp=sharing

>The Novice Trove
pastebin.com/viWJ1Yvk

>Last threads

Other urls found in this thread:

onepagerules.wordpress.com/portfolio/one-page-kill-team/
en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Unintentional_discharge_(firearms)
en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Cooking_off
dp9forum.com/aurora/
precinctomega.co.uk/wp-content/uploads/2016/06/160616-hw-biowar.pdf
youtu.be/d3G1P4iXGb8
drivegoogle.com/open?id=0B3-31NEobrxqam1fTGw3WFdCdlU
critskillpeople.com/bmgwiki/
twitter.com/NSFWRedditVideo

anybody have any experience with 1 page kill team? from onepagerules.wordpress.com/portfolio/one-page-kill-team/

It seems decent enough looking at it, but maybe there are better alternatives for sci-fi skirmish wargames with like ~5-6 mans?

Other than the OP pic game that hasn't released yet

Rogue Planet, mayhaps?

Also, are you looking for generic or specific? For specific, there's Infinity and Mercs.

Last thread there was chat about the terrible lack of Heavy Gear fluff and I have decided to do something about it, with a short story setting up some stuff about one unit in my army underway. It's fairly generic robot anime stuff featuring an old hotblooded guy, hardline vet, stylish pretty boy rebel and cute rookie running into a well equipped and experienced enemy fire support unit in an attempted ambush gone wrong

So, this should be the thread about YOUR DUDES. Most /awg/ staples are all about making your own dudes, so post about them. Fantasy warbands, robot jocks, gladiators, sportsball teams, or whatever.

Pic: a drawing a cool drawfag did of the squad I am writing about, the Exeter Rifles.

Thread questions

>Who are YOUR DUDES
>What is the coolest thing they did
>Have you converted trophies or kill marks on them?

Ah, I completely forgot about Infinity, and I haven't even heard of Mercs or Rogue Planet. MERCS by Megacon and Rogue planet by Bombshell?

Infinity is maybe a bit more complicated than I want, since I'll have to get lazy people into it.
These other 2 look interesting enough that I'll see if I can track em down, thanks.

I have no preference for any setting, really, as long as there's enough ways for players to be meaningfully distinct from each other.

>glasses

D'awww.

Anyway, I don't have too much of "my dudes", but I'll do some stuff for a Fallout-themed TNT campaign - an abandoned B-15 disassembled and a town built around as a settlement with a bunch of settlers living in. Not sure how I'll call it, it really depends on the nose art I can dig up. The B-15 will be a badly assembled 1:48 model I got for 5$, and the figures will be a mish-mash of converted and kitbashed stuff.

For pic related, I wrote a short backstory - merc whose village was attacked couple of years ago, and his family was accidentally cut down by machine gun fire as the barrel was overheated and it kinda fired itself. Since then he learned to trust semi-automatic rifles and bolt-action rifles. Found a nice combat armor and an old Garand in a depot that was half-buried, and since then he provides a gun for caravans.

Oh man, settlements in burned out wrecks are my aesthetic, I can't escape them in any SF I write.

>his family was accidentally cut down by machine gun fire as the barrel was overheated and it kinda fired itself.
Is this actually a thing that can happen?

What band do you intend to put this guy in/play? Peacekeepers or Caravanners?

en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Unintentional_discharge_(firearms)

Yeah, it is.

Not sure, but probably caravaneers.

A cook-off (ammo explosion) could happen with a poorly maintained gun and cause collateral damage

en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Cooking_off

Can we expect to see any more minis/AARs on your games? This system and theme interest me.

I played TnT before but my fellow players struggled with the rules a bit. Namely, the idea that alternating activation with random init every round could lead to double-turns (eg a machine gun acting firing twice in a row, basically) as well as the "Failure to activate halves your action points *and* makes you lose turn control" made people feel bad, and they were fair complaints to me.

Easy to fix though, if it is a problem. Just make it so you alt activate every time, and an activation roll is 2AP success, 1AP fail.

I've been thinking about recreating the EDF video games (they're basically army grunts with experimental weapons take on giant bugs and aliens), anyone got any ruleset suggestions?

I'm thinking 6mm mostly cuz vehicles in that size are really cute.

Rogue Planet and FiveCore are two incredibly different games... both of which that guy ought to look in to, because they're rad.

Also Pulp Alley.

Horizon Wars would be perfect IMHO.

Once I get around actually playing it, I can do. The B-17 is still in the post tho, and I have 2.5 painted minis for the "good guys". I kitbash whatever looks good, write some backstory and when I actually get around reading the rules, I'll stat them up accordingly.

Second dude with shotgun is so far a simple merc without any significant backstory. He gets mones for doing what he enjoys, shooting stuff.

Does FiveCore have anything to do with what that guy said (is MERCS a fivecore game?), or are you just bringing it in cause it's cool?

Bit confused.

Fivecore is entirely different, it's a game made for quick cinematic actions and has a fuckton of versions. For scifi, there's Clash on the Fringe.

Based Ivan deserves your money, tho there's a basic version for the 1st ed on Wargame Vault for pay what you want IIRC, or /hwg/ has Five Men in Normandy you can check if you like the basic mechanics of.

Definitely Horizon Wars

And you are good people

EDF!

Thanks guys, I'll do some reading up on Horizon Wars and hopefully get around to saving Mother Earth.

EDF! EDF! EDF!

>Last thread there was chat about the terrible lack of Heavy Gear fluff and I have decided to do something about it, with a short story setting up some stuff about one unit in my army underway.

Most of the fluff outside of the League Books can actually be found on the DP9 forum and in the web-zines. The original '96-2000 one that was hosted on Banzaidine is gone, but Aurora has 10 years of material and is easily found.

dp9forum.com/aurora/

This is a hell of a resource, thanks!

You'll want this for your GIANT INSECTS

precinctomega.co.uk/wp-content/uploads/2016/06/160616-hw-biowar.pdf

It's how to make everything from Tyranids to Godzillas in HW.

And it reminds me, I really should go back to making my kaiju/power rangers villain army complete with giant-size enemy generals, hammy monsters of the week and so on.

Does any of you heard about Neuroshima Tactics?

I just bought these 3 guys as my babysteps painting victims. I know I can find some info on my local forums but I'm curious if that game ver hit wider audience?

Considering the discount (like 80%) i bought them with, seems like a dead game to me.

Nope, but the figures look lovely.

Well, I believe I chosed 3 most beautifull ones, from entire discount, to play with. Most people, whoose comments I read, complain about really shitty models.

defib

So I got my Suicide Squad game box in today. Should I post pictures of the box content? Would anyone be interested in that?

there's a batman mini game?
..is it any good? are the models any good?

Yes, there is a Batman miniature game. It looks good enough for me to drop $130 on the exclusive pre order.

I'll post the contents anyway

Joker crew cards

Suicide Squad cards

>Elite: Cosplayers

Pre order Batfleck

This is in the back of the rule book. Arkham Knight model range

>Funding $0,00
rip batman

> Coming to a awg thread near you.
I guess they are working on this too

Funding men's the amount of money they cost to be in a crew

Here are all the terrain pieces that come in the box. Just a rules note. Visibility is low in this game as all games are played in a night settings. Street light provide better lighting and are a strategic part of the game

I'm no expert but it kinda looks like Infinity to me.

And all the models

The models are larger, around 32mm. No around system and at the beginning of each turn you have to commit to a plan before activating a model. Here is Harley and panda man

Oh yeah and here is a little art at the bottom of the pink tray

>No around system and at the beginning of each turn you have to commit to a plan before activating a model.
Oh shit, interesting. That's certainly a way to show the simultaneousness of everything
And also mildly complicated to execute, it sounds like.

:3

And the back of the box.

And got this sexy model with the pre order too.

Yeah it's pretty fucking cool to be honest. This is my first foray into the game but here is a "basic" overview.

Common game is 350point and 1500 funds. Each crew has a limit to equipment they can buy. Each player rolls twice before the game starts. 1 d3 for streetlights and 1 d3 for manholes. Streetlights provide vision and you can use manholes to travel across the board to other manholes. Each turn both players commit models to a "plan". Roll for initiative.Each player alternate model activation

Here a video going over the rules.

youtu.be/d3G1P4iXGb8

I love talking about my dudes, it's hard to get me to shut up about them. Here's the run down of my Imperial army for Warzone: Resurrection. I've got an army for every faction bar Mishima and Capitol(though they'll be added in due time) but the Imperials have the most development, with my Dark Legion coming right after them.

>>Who are YOUR DUDES
My Dudes are the 69th Ganymedian Battalion of Foot(O'Roland's Irregulars). An amalgamated unit after the losses sustained during the Mariner Mountains campaign comprising of forces from, the 69th Ganymedian(clearly), the 44th Stormtrencher Battalion, 12th Special Forces group(Clans O'Roland, Branaghan, McNaughton), and the Broken Claw Wolfbane pack.
>>What is the coolest thing they did
Prior to the Mariner Mountains campaign, the 69th were the heroes of the Battle of Barham, where the unit successfully repelled an invasion force of the Cybertronic Megacorporation who were intent on capturing and annexing several of the agrarian townships and farmlands within the region and forcing Imperial out of the food production markets for this part of Mars.

The battle of Barham began at 4:30 am, Martian standard time, on the 14th of August, 1292 Y.C and continued for almost 50 hours until its conclusion on the 16th of August at 6:30 am, 1292 Y.C. B Company had, along with the rest of the battalion, been on patrol across the region and it has just so happened that B Company had made it to Bahram in the early afternoon. Having been received by the Mayor and Militia Sergeant-at-Arms, Captain O’Roland ordered B Company to make camp and establish a perimeter around the town. It was during the change of perimeter guards that Cybertronic forces struck. An infiltration force of Mirrormen and Enhanced Machinators moved ahead of the main force quietly dispatching the guards and opening the way for the main force of Chasseurs with Exterminatuer support to launch their assault.

1/2

2/2

Unknown to B Company at the time of the engagement, the rest of the Battalion had come under similar attack to various degrees of success, support would be limited or unavailable for a time. So began a running battle over the township or Barham that Barham would ultimately save it and keep it and the surrounding region but at heavy cost. B Company, in the attrition of the Cybertronic attack, had sustained a casualty rate of 58% including half of the Officer and NCO compliment of the company as well as significant damage of buildings on the outside of the township but thankfully light casualties among the civilian populace.

It was as the battle was approaching the dawn of the 16th of August that elements of the rest of the battalion, C and E Companies, were able to break through and reinforce the beleaguered defenders and finally break the back of the Cybertronic invasion.

Captain O’Roland was hailed as a hero for his defense by the townspeople and following the report back to command was, along with several others in the unit, listed for commendations, including a nomination for the Medal of Honour Third class. As well as setting his star to rise leading to his eventual promotion and command of the 69th.

>>Have you converted trophies or kill marks on them?
One of my ISF squad commanders has a Cuirassier head attached to his belt after a game against Cybertronic, other than that I've not marked out any impressive feats or kills on my models.

It's apparently super fun and the game is very thematic.

Is there some sort of tool available for building units in Clash on the Fringe? Even an excel doc?

Fuck yeah Warzone fluff.

I'm still trying to work out the fluff for my Bauhaus. One day I'll get it done.

Got the background for my CCC team for MERCS all done, though.

Yeah, I'm stuck on the fluff for my Baubausers, too. It should be straight forward enough, Noble X does Y and other shit, but it just doesn't want to work this way. So I think I'll keep playing games and seeing what the models do to inform the story.

Though back to the Imperials I think it'll be fun trying to spin the events of the Mariner Mountains global campaign into the army's history, I got my shit slapped in almost every game I played for it. Still managed to win that 20£ gift voucher from prodos. I'll put it to good use once the Ilian models start coming out.

>The models are larger, around 32mm
Eh, Harley would have been a nice addition to a raider warband, but she's too big.

My sister likes Harry Potter and she'd like to try wargames as well - guess it's a perfect opportunity along the Dr. Who game from Warlord.

Mark Latham released additional units for broken legions...can someone download them?

Don't have a google account.

drivegoogle.com/open?id=0B3-31NEobrxqam1fTGw3WFdCdlU

it mystifies me they made the new doctor who game in 32mm...not very popular and it leaves the minis incompatible with all of warlords other stuff.

Thats a nice mini. I went with the regular one though, Batfleck was enough for me.

Which crew/s you running? Just started Bane but I normally run with Green Arrow or Black Mask.

Well this is my first start with the game, so I only have the suicide squad game box. I will certainly drag a few other players into the game

Maybe she's just a big gal?

Ah thats cool.

Community here has grown exponentially. Funnily it wasnt until recently someone actually started playing Batman.

Maybe...

user who bought it: can you make a scale comparison with Harley and a space marine or something?

Anyone has the Heavy Gear books? They aren't in the pastebin.

I'll do a size comparison after work.

They're free on DrivethruRPG and on DP9's site.

And on that note I have been solitaire playing out the encounter that my in progress short story is about and things look pretty fucking bad for the North

It's 4 Hunters and a Sniper Jaguar versus two Spitting Cobras and a King Cobra. All the North forces have high ground and cover as they have ambushed the South.

>South wins initiative, in the open surrounded by enemies in cover
>command point to light up closest enemy, the old mentor's Destroyer Hunter - two HRCs at 12" range put 16 damage on a Hunter. Mentor figure is strawberry jam.
>Enemy is bunched up, 3 LRPs at perfect range fire from the surviving Hunters, the Cobras all get multiple sixes in a row on dodge and avoid every rocket

it is all going wrong

i was gonna get into frostgrave when if first came out but i never got round to it
hoping i can find the warbands i posted in the desu archives

i remember i was gonna play a sigilist so that should help narrow it down a bit

dur im retarded i should be checking 4plebs

im stil not sure why push is a sigilist spell

Much appreciated.

Also, slightly related, anyone knows a not-Vaas Montenegro miniature floating around? He'd make a nice crazy bandit leader.

Thank you for sharing user.
Speaking of which, I have been trying to track down a pdf with the rules of KM's Batman without any luck.
Anyone can point me anywhere?

I assume its to dissuade usage of all the other doctor minis not made by warlord.

That's probably the point. Make it so they can't be mixed with other ranges, thus cutting down on the number of proxies.

Could be a decision made by the BBC as well.

it will be shit

FTL-crew.jpg

I got a Clash on the Fringe rules question:

'Feral may use the standard profiles and armour. Add +4 points per figure.'

Now is this one time per Feral to "upgrade" them to the ability to use standard profiles/armor (and then they pay normal cost for them - kind of like a trait), or is it "Pay standard profile+4, and then pay standard armor+4"?

How closely is the game tied to scale? Cos like you just pointed out, everyone makes Doctor/companion minis.

I wanted to jump in and praise Rogue Planet some more, and also add an answer to the original:

>maybe there are better alternatives for sci-fi skirmish wargames with like ~5-6 mans?

fake BP

The cleaned a lot of the rules since the free edition was available. I also don't think they'll be releasing a free version soon either

here

Well I played out a solitaire game to get my head around the HGB rules a bit better before running demos next week and it went extremely badly...

it turns out miniguns at short range give precisely no fucks about cover and if your dice roll is decent they fuck shit up real hard

>Gunnery roll: 5, 5, 6, 6
>Piloting roll, including extra dice from cover: 1, 1, 1

Given that's absolutely max damage on the roll (8 degrees of success plus 8 damage base is 10 damage after armour) I can only imagine the results were graphic...

The weird thing was it was one model that kept getting fucking insane rolls. Every other unit tended to perform averagely or badly but one guy was fucking everything up with constant 6s.

I don't personally care about the game, as I'm not a Doctor Who fan, but you can't assume the scale thing is entirely a Warlord decision.

Remember when the LotR minis came out? They weren't scaled to match WHFB because Newline told GW they couldn't.

I want to play Rogue Planet, but I want to embrace the really bug-fuck bizarre nature of the art. Got a line on some good sci-fantasy minis for it?

Looks fun, but how are the models, I heard the mold lines are awful

How many years was it before GW could even publish pics of models that mixed parts from both lines? Hollywood is extremely protective of their IPs, and its something that is a shock to many smaller companies. It can all go sour quickly if you just jump in with them (R.I.P. Monsterpocalypse).

To be honest I've only looked at the overall contents and not given it a thorough look

>How many years was it before GW could even publish pics of models that mixed parts from both lines?
GW never published anything that mixed the lines at all to my knowledge.

>They weren't scaled to match WHFB because Newline told GW they couldn't.

Which made sense though. If they were scaled to match Warhammer they would be "heroic", and that means their look would differ from the characters in the movies.

What happened with monsterapocalypse? It seemed a cool concept, and the next thing I knew was it was cancelled. Why, it only seemed to put generic looking kaijus, why did they kill it?

Privateer Press never got it through there heads you can have a faction-centric game with random boosters.

Super fun game, though.

I'd seen some pics of things with Balrog wings or Sauron's mace in WD, but this was well after the movies had come and gone.

PP was in talks with Dreamworks to make a movie, but then Pacific Rim came out and went 'meh' in the box offices, so DW put the project on hold, tying up any chance of development on PP's side.

Mang that's sad it had such a cool concept.

Game was fun as hell. Had some issues, but was still a good game. Its a shame they fucked up.

>Privateer Press never got it through there heads you can have a faction-centric game with random boosters.
that wasn't an issue though. assuming you bought sealed product by the box rather than by the booster (like all collectible games). Also had balance and power creep issues.

They also were addressing it with the faction boxes before they stopped development.

they needed to revitalize the game, as they were dropping hard in sales/playerbase

hey, this is suicide user. I'll post a model sixe comparison after the baby is asleep. but i found this resource about the batman miniature game

critskillpeople.com/bmgwiki/

>suicide user
It has taken me two hours to understand you meant "suicide squad" user

that would be an hero user, good sir. I'm not that kind of guy

Its a good place to get an idea of the game but be warned it does muddle some of the rules. Its interpretations can be off at times.

bumping