/5eg/ D&D 5th Edition General

Volo's Guide to Monsters in the trove. Be sure to buy it and support the hobby even if you download it!

>Official /5eg/ Mega Trove v3:
mega.nz/#F!BUdBDABK!K8WbWPKh6Qi1vZSm4OI2PQ

>Community DMs Guild trove
>Submit to [email protected], cleaning available!
mega.nz/#F!UA1BhCBS!Oul1nsYh15qJvCWOD2Wo9w

>Pastebin with resources and so on:
pastebin.com/X1TFNxck

>/5eg/ Discord server
discord.gg/0rRMo7j6WJoQmZ1b

>Veeky Forums character sheets
mega.nz/#F!x0UkRDQK!l-iAUnE46Aabih71s-10DQ

Previous thread: "People who don't include previous thread link in the OP are worse than AIDS"
New Unearthed Arcana with a new barbarian subclass will come very, very soon. What do you expect?

Other urls found in this thread:

dmsguild.com/product/188626/Nerzugals-Dungeon-Master-Toolkit
twitter.com/NSFWRedditVideo

A viable punchbarian subclass.

MYSTIC UA WHEN MEARL! YOU SAID THERE WILL BE MYSTIC UA.

Sup /5eg/. New episode of Bards & Nobles is up. Would love to get some feedback on things we can work on for a more entertaining 5e podcast, but I personally would also like some suggestions on things that you don't see often in games (monsters, plot hooks / seeds, items adventures, etc).

www.bardsandnobles.com

a calm barbarian

So I am making an archer Sorcerer using the Favored soul option from the UA a while back.
However, I can't decide If I should go Tabaxi with ranger/fighter at first level or variant half elf with elven weapon training for longbow. And if I take Ranger at level 1, at what point should I grab level 2 for CQS or archery, immediately or after I get extra attack from sorcerer?

>tfw no shield-maiden waifu

Anyone?

Are kobolds any good? They have pack tactics, but also sunlight sensivity. Does the good outweigh the bad?

as if a big strong womyn would associate with the likes of you

They make a good Druid. You lost Sunlight sensitivity but retain Pack tactic while Wild Shape.

is it worth playing a nature cleric?

Source on losing sunlight sensitivity?

Well, there's always the Oubliette.

It does, though they're still somewhat niche I would say.

It would be cool to have something that's to the Barb and Warlock what the Eldritch Knight is to the Fighter and Wizard. Like automatic Hellish Rebuke while raging, or something like that.

Just play druid.

I am noticing that the Oubliette was part of a one page dungeon contest. So probably try looking up said contest and seeing what else is there, then try weaving it all together into a single dungeon.

Its always worth playing any kind of cleric.

> Rage burns in every barbarian’s heart, a furnace that drives him or her toward greatness.
Yeah, nah

So... a divine-inspired arcane archer? I'm not sure how much sense that would make in 5e, since sorcerers aren't really big on buff spells. You'll only ever be shooting one arrow per round.
If you HAVE to do it, just take fighter/ranger at level 1 for the proficiencies and so you don't need high strength. There's no particular reason to start as sorcerer when archery is your main deal.

Not the anonymous you're responding to, but as someone with anger issues, I can confirm that these are not mutually exclusive. I have, after a long time of working on it, managed to maintain a sort of Serenity in my life. That is not ignoring or destroying the burning core of anger that I have, it is rather recognizing that it isn't a wildfire that will overwhelm me. It's a furnace, that I can temper and use. It makes me better at the things that I do, and is fundamentally a part of me. It is, at my worst, also the thing that makes me lose control.

Will update when barbarian UA drops.

Looking out build a 2 handed bladelock for a new campaign. Any tips?

I'll be using the Divine favor sorcerer which gets extra attack at lv 6, so archery is meh rather than super shitty. I want sorcerer so that I get sorcery points for quicken spell which lets me cast fireball and flavor it as an exploding arrow. The idea is to be a magic archer with focus on magic. My DM is okay with UA and flavor, less so with any kind of homebrew.

For sadistic traps, Grimtooth's Traps could be retooled into something that offers a save, unless that's what your players are into. Dmsguild has this
dmsguild.com/product/188626/Nerzugals-Dungeon-Master-Toolkit
which is free and has 12 puzzles.

Wouldn't an actual shield maiden be wearing at least some sort of armor?

>Implying Helga the Huge wouldn't want a tiny man to dominate

>I'm the DM
>Party is two paladins, a wizard and a ranger
>The ranger is a min max try hard
>Frets over choosing his tracking types because he wants to pick the best one
>He's been known to cheese his rolls in other campaigns if he knows a bad roll will fuck him up
>At level 5 he decides he wants to multi class as a fighter
>I allow it
>Picks battlemaster
>Uses manuevers at any given oppourtunity and loosely keeps track of his superiority die
>"Uh, I've still got one left" happens more often than you'd think
>Argues if he's called out on it
>Campaign leads the group into a mine
>The mine is full of black puddings
>OOC he knows what abilities they have
>His character, who has previously always gone for the kill decides to stand about and do nothing
>"I don't want to damage my sword" "I can't even damage them, what's the point?"
>Resigns to re rolling a new character sheet when he is cornered by an ooze until the wizard saves him
>The paladins were smart enough to use pickaxes laying about the mine in place of their actual weapons
>After the black pudding fiasco they end up fighting a banshee
>He whinges because he knows it has resistance
>After he asks the wizard who is a transmuter to make all of his arrows silver tipped and continue to silver tip them when he gets new ones
>Wants to get his sword silvered specifically to counter that type of resistance
>As we tidy up after our session he asks the wizard if he will use Glyph of Warding to glyph all of his arrows with fireball

He's the kind of guy who only has fun when he is winning and in the face of any hardship or the possibility of losing he will resign himself and sulk. Is there a way to deal with this Veeky Forums or do I just let him have his fun?

Roll good, like really really good
2 levels in Paladin for synergy and heavy armor prof
Ideally go Polearm Master

Reworked berserker
A 1/3 caster path that gets spell-like abilities while enraged
A beastmaster pseudo Ranger path

Holy shit. I used to have exactly this kind of a guy in my party back when I was a player. Utterly hated him.

>>The ranger is a min max try hard
He will need it

It gets really annoying. His characters behaviour changes on a whim just because he personally knows things outside of the game.

I can get that to an extent, but not to the point of meta gaming and having his personal knowledge about game mechanics suddenly alter his characters actions.

Similar happened to a player of mine in 3.5
>Rolls a scout
>Of course his damage is 0 against constructs, undead, elementals and plants (all encounters in the campaign)
>Eventually doesn't even try to attack them even though he doesn't know he deals 0 damage to all of them
>Doesn't minmax perception and disable device so he eats more than half the traps
>Complains about his character being useless so he wants to reroll
>I say no
>His char dies like 4 times
>Complains that he's below the rest of the group
It's not my fault he's a retard for picking scout

Depends. Does it appeal to you?
There are no weak options except Beastmaster ranger and bladelock. Outside of those, just play whatever you feel like. No full caster is weak in any sense of the word.

Any other class.

So basically Edward Norton at the end of the movie?
I totally know that feel though

You see, the problem is everything that's immune is literally impossible to injure as a Rogue variant. If you have a Rogue in 3.5, you need to make concessions, or they will not be able to do jack shit, and that's on you as a DM.

Not necessarily. There are plenty of instances in antiquity where people fought with shields and no armor.

16 dex plus shield gives a respectable 15AC.

Did you inform him about the focus of the campaign?

>someone want to make a fun character without minmaxing
>throw enemies that he can't damage, kill his character 4 times and don't allow him to reroll
You sound like a fun DM to play with

What makes bladelock bad?

>Do people know in what they're going to get into when they start an adventure?
Of course not, would you tell your players they're going to play curse of strahd so they can prepare themselves to be all vampire hunters? no, same here.

You're an ass

Well firstly blacklock is objectively worse than tomelock and chainlock.

>Berserker gets nature spells while totem doesn't

The pact of the blade gives very, very little, especially compared to the other two. If you're expecting to be a melee warrior, you're going to be disappointed, because your DPS will still be much higher at range. Bladelocks aren't melee fighters, they're blasters who can survive in melee if they HAVE to.

>every thread
1. Squishy frame
2. Unless you minmax, like really really minmax hard, weaker at his thing than tomelock and just plain better to just use EB

Shit DM alert

user, I don't know how to say it to you, but you are That DM.

>Bladelocks aren't melee fighters, they're blasters who can survive in melee if they HAVE to.
And Tomelock does this better

I should probably have added that even after he realised he could use the pickaxes to attack he refused to because he didn't want to risk getting hit and have his armour corrode. He even refused to fire arrows from a distance because "uh, they're resistant". I don't know if it's just me but I feel as though I should punish his character in some way.

Bladelocks need more invocation support

Not very naturally tanky, so it has a hard time staying on the frontlines, especially in the beginning.
Hex is important for damage, and you lose concentration very easily while in melee.
You lose out on ritual casting+cool cantrips or a really cool special minion.
Doesn't really do anything special until lv 12.
EB is better.

If you think it is cool, go for it, but if you want is magic in melee you should go UA ranger, eldritch knight or paladin.

> Of course not, would you tell your players they're going to play curse of strahd so they can prepare themselves to be all vampire hunters? no, same here.

I'm running 2e Ravenloft adventures, and I had a session zero to let people know that it isn't a happy go lucky campaign, and that certain characters or classes might have a hard time.

Its up to the DM to make sure the player's have fun, if you don't prepare your players for shit, then its your fault dude.

1. Even a party of vampire hunters aren't necessarily going to kill Strahd. That adventure book is HARD.
2. There's a difference between a character being unoptimized for a campaign and a character being literal garbage for a campaign. As a DM, you should try to work with him. At least prod him to make his disable device and perception.

I suppose so, with the cantrips from FRAG.

Read Druid Wildshape rule?

>You retain the benefit of any features from your class, race, or other source and can use them if the new form is physically capable of doing so. However, you can’t use any of your special senses, such as darkvision, unless your new form also has that sense.
It's reasonable to assume if you don't retain darkvision you don't retain sunlight sensitivity.

Do you? I thought you lost all racial features and gained the creature's features.

Reasonable, yes.
RAW, no.

ACTUALLY
If you wanna get anal about RAW, wild shape only retains the "benefits" of features from your race or class. So, no, light sensitivity isn't automatically carried over.

See

By RAW? You only retain benefit. Sunlight sensitivity isn't benefit, so you don't retain it.

I guess I can see it being reasonable to lose it and RAW you only keep "the benefit of any features" and it is not a benefit.

However, I thin it kind of goes against the RAI of wild shape, I would love to have a sage advice on this.

I beat you by 10 seconds, scrub. Git gud.
I swear I have a life most of the time

>the RAI of wild shape
I don't necessarily disagree, but I'm not sure I follow either. Your new form has different senses - literally different eyes - which aren't accustomed to darkness. Why would they then be hurt by light?
If that was the case, a wildshaped creature with light sensitivity would literally only be able to operate in dim light, ever. I doubt that would be RAI>

Ah, yes. You're right.
Unless we start arguing about how "benefit" is defined in the rules at which point it's semantics and really needs a sage advice.

Well, you could also argue that Sunlight Sensitivity is a 'special sense', since it is a special modification to one of your senses. A detrimental one, but still special.

So that's 2 reasons for it to not carry over

You have convinced me I guess, it makes sense for them to lose it.

DM's guild has a ton of content. Any reason you included some, but not others?

So since kobolds are constantly fighting disadvantage and advantage with sunlight sensitivity and pack tactics, that means they can't get advantage or disadvantage for melee attacks, what would you do now knowing you cannot get disadvantage no matter what with a kobold?

Start as fighter for heavy armor and con saving throws, then multiclass into lock.
If you don't mind being sort of 'that guy' you can try using darkness cheese starting level 4.
Just remember that you probably won't be as effective as an EB lock or a class more suited. Regardless, the theme can be really fun.

touch its butt

>Implying they'll be fighting just under direct sun light
Sunlight sensitivity isn't that hard to avoid

I included DM's Guild content that was featured in either UA or Dragon+ articles.

>start my first 5e campaign
>put a ton of effort into the character, fleshed backstory, good motivations, generally strong all around fighter meant to take some hits and deal some damage
>group falls apart after first session
>learn my lesson
>new group that's following the same campaign (Phandelver)
>make a half assed cleric because we need someone to heal (it was just me, a girl and DM) and do some damage
>group actually stays together
>having fun with the people in group, IC and OOC
>even adding new players to the campaign next week
>I'm stuck playing a boring uninspired character
>want to make a new one but it will mess up the party dynamic

I dunno want to do. I want to play a monk but it would sorta ruin it for the other people playing

Like, just give them a parasol. Or a bit hat.

>Sorcerer
>Barbarian
>Ranger
>Rogue
Every fucking time.

for conjuration spells, why is the casting time for conjure elementals so much longer than the casting time for conjure animals/woodland creatures
are elementals at CR 2 and below OP compared to beasts and fey?

>Have to play something you don't want to because it's imperative the group has one plus the group is small
>New players enter
>Your class is not as much needed as before and probably group will do fine without it or with another class you would like to play instead
>If you change char people will be annoyed
Fuck this so many times

now that you have a steady group you can flesh out your character
add stuff to your backstory you silly willy

That doesn't work though
You get penalties if you and your target are both under sunlight, unless you have a big ass parasol or hat it won't work

>Learn my lesson
Sounds more like bitterness desu
As for advice, try to make your current character interesting to you by fleshing him out more.

Nu-uh
Sometimes there's a paladin, too

I believe you mean you OR your target

Some stuff I just thought of.

Able to use heavy weapons as long as an ally is next from the enemy. Can also attack from Max range as long as the ally is there. So I can see a lot of heavy crossbow wielding kobolds or hand crossbows from a safe distance.

Nowhere in the 5th PhB states you only get the benefits, and ignore the drawbacks.

"Your game statistics are replaced by the statistics of the beast, but you retain your alignment, personality, and Intelligence, Wisdom, and Charisma scores. You also retain all of your skill and saving throw proficiencies, in addition to gaining those of the creature."

"You retain the benefit of any features from your class, race, or other source and can use them if the new form is physically capable of doing so. However, you can't use any of your special senses, such as darkvision, unless your new form also has that sense."

I mean I did but I'm still not into it. Backstory is sort of generic "come to Jesus" thing and I dunno. I'm just not a huge fan of clerics in RPGs in general. Had some fun moments though with nat 20's last session

In past editions you couldn't maintain summons as long. The trade off is you can keep a summon through multiple encounters but you have to prepare.

The druid has exceptions because honestly it needs to have them. The druid spell list sucks compared to the other 9th level casters if not for the conjure lines exclusive to its list.

Characters can evolve through a campaign. Add onto the character's view on life as the new experiences let him refine or change his views.

Fine, fine. A big MAGIC hat.

Sunlight sensitivity is a special sense nigga.

clerics dont just have to be healbots, you can play him however you want
also multiclassing might make it more interesting for you

>it doesn't say you only gain the benefits!
>He says, while quoting the passage that says you gain the benefits

Refer to your own pic

> Sunlight sensitivity is a special sense nigga.

No, it fucking isn't. Are you daft?

>it doesn't say you only gain the benefits!
>He says, while quoting the passage that says you gain the benefits

It says your stats are replaced by the creatures, you don't pick and choose what you get.

It changes how the character perceives vision, just like darkvision does.

>"You retain the benefit of any features from your class, race, or other source and can use them if the new form is physically capable of doing so. However, you can't use any of your special senses, such as darkvision, unless your new form also has that sense."

Is sunlight sensitivity a benefit? No

Is sunlight sensitivity a special sense? Yes

You retain benefits, and can't use special senses. Therefore, you don't retain sunlight sensitivity and can't use it.

I'm playing him as a war cleric. I think the new guy is going to play a barbarian, the girl is playing a Druid and the DM is playing a swashbuckler NPC. I'm basically playing my cleric as a tank with some heals if we take too much damage

Read both passages as a whole. It says you replace everything that isn't otherwise stated. You don't keep your 25 foot movement if the beast is slower or faster.

its just weird to me that elemental summons are nerfed compared to the other 2 low level conjures when elementals in the phb seem straight up weaker than the beasts or fey
especially the pixie
i really dont see any reason to take conjure minor elemental when conjure animals/woodland creatures are the same thing but with an immediate cast and just as long of a duration

Unearthed Arcana WHEN?

> Is sunlight sensitivity a benefit? No

Does the book say you IGNORE drawbacks as well as gain benefits? No. You get the statistics of the creature.

> Is sunlight sensitivity a special sense? Yes

Being sensitive to sunlight is not a bloody sense, what the hell do you think that!?

> You retain benefits, and can't use special senses. Therefore, you don't retain sunlight sensitivity and can't use it.

"However, you can't use any of your special senses, such as darkvision, unless your new form also has that sense."

Right, you see as per the quote above, your senses change to match the creatures. BECAUSE they change to match the creatures, if the creatures eyes can't handle sunlight, YOU cannot handle sunlight, because the DRUID TURNS INTO THAT CREATURE.

You had Darkvision? You lose Darkvision because you turned into a creature which doesn't have eyes which can see in the dark. Therefore, if the creature cannot see in sunlight the DRUID cannot see in sunlight.

Stop reading what you want to read.

Those 2 are also on the wizard list. That's the only reason.

When you stop touching yourself.

the druid is fine as a healing class
i dont think switching will mess up your party dynamic