Other urls found in this thread:

youtube.com/watch?v=SQkygZdZ_Vk
youtube.com/watch?v=LY0lLcz3Qis
twitter.com/AnonBabble

Three films, first of all.

It was originaly a two-part movie.

The studio wanted a part 3.

for a moment I thought that said Hobaff

The third movie, and not even all of it.

I enjoyed them, though the third a bit less than the first two. The Desolation of Smaug was by far the best, however, for giving us one of the better dragon fights in cinema history.

Major points go to the trilogy for expanding both the Arkenstone's importance, and Bard's character.

Peter Jackson's Elf Fetish.

>Major points go to the trilogy for expanding both the Arkenstone's importance, and Bard's character
what actually happened to the Arkstone in the third movie, I remember it got stolen by Bilbo, then given to Bard, then...

I watched part 1, neither liked nor disliked it. CGI-ridden shit anyway.
Didn't even bother with part 2 because I couldn't give a shit.
Watched part 3 because I was bored in the airplane towards Japan and it was on the menu. Gotta admit the scene where the guy kills Smaug with the bow was pretty fucking nice. But the whole drama with the Arkenstone and Dragon Madness was annoying as fuck. Didn't even watch it all and just kept switching.

It feels plastic compared to the former trilogy.

Stopped being a passion project and started being a cash grab.

It had to compete with an already perfect hobbit movie. And they had to fuck with Bard's black arrow and his entire character and the nature of his town.

A producer and a director are stranded in the desert. Dying of thirst they by great good fortune find an oasis.

The director runs towards it to state his thirst. Just before he touches the water the producer pulls him back and takes a piss in the oasis.

"There" says the producer, "now it's perfect".

>three films
>CGI everything
>cliched writing

This
Fuck I loved the music in that movie. How did this have a better soundtrack than a multi-million dollar budget movie?

Buried with Thorin.

Not enough of hobbit wenches

It wasn't The Hobbit. It was the prequel to The Lord of the Rings. Jackson's nobledark epic style worked well for the Lord of the Rings, but The Hobbit is a funky, noblebright adventure. Even in its darkest parts, the book had whimsy and fun triumph over unease and fear. The Lord of the Rings had hardship and heroic perseverance triumph over horror and angst.

Also, it didn't drive home Bilbo's laments at being dragged along on the adventure. It wouldn't have taken that much either, just a few shots of him looking really uncomfortable and pitiful scattered throughout the first movie.

There there's all the irrelevant shit from the Silmarillion that got mixed in. Part of the reason why The Hobbit was so good was because Tolkien HADN'T fleshed out the setting yet, so the focus was on the story and on the characters rather than on all the little minute details that Tolkien put oh so much thought into. There's definitely a place for that kind of autistically detailed worldbuilding, but it isn't while you're trying to tell a fun story like the Hobbit.

What does this have to do with Veeky Forums?

Seems like something to ask /tv/...

youtube.com/watch?v=SQkygZdZ_Vk

>Discussing Movies
>On /tv/

Hollywood.
>ianmckellencrying.webm

Part 1 was better than LOTR.
Part 2 lost the focus on the story of Bilbo and of home and much of the personal touch.
Part 3 was a rushed production that complete ruined the trilogy.

Because the overarching story of the films is

>How Bilbo went from being a useless git to being a cool adventurer like the dwarves.

It completely misses the point of the everyman adventure of the books, namely that the stand in victorian country gentleman bilbo baggs IS HIMSELF USEFUL for his wit and his pluck and his courage and the lucky find of a magic ring.

Bilbo is fundamentally unchanged by his adventure in the internal character. He doesn't learn skills that the dwarves possess. He feels distinctly silly wearing armor and a blade, and sits out the battle of five armies. His only real approach to the dwarven mentality is to say what Balin says in a much less archaic and far more normal fashion when they invite each other to their homes after all the dust clears.

The first movie has its climax with Bilbo standing and fighting (like a proper dwarf) against Azog. It's absolute rubbish.

it didn't
youtube.com/watch?v=LY0lLcz3Qis

>Also, it didn't drive home Bilbo's laments at being dragged along on the adventure.
Part 1 had Martin Freeman's perfect facial expressions. All of that was dropped for the following Parts, except for the end of #3.

>There there's all the irrelevant shit from the Silmarillion that got mixed in.
It still worked in Part 1 because you had that recurrring theme of home.

everything

>The first movie has its climax with Bilbo standing and fighting (like a proper dwarf) against Azog. It's absolute rubbish.
>bilbo baggs IS HIMSELF USEFUL for his wit and his pluck and his courage
>his pluck
>his courage
The scene is completely consistent with the gutsy portrayal of Hobbits. When push comes to shove, they got it in them.

/thread

I have no idea how you people can hate 3 more than you hate 2.

I thought the movie was pretty good. The only thing I didn't like was how they made Fili and the she-elf have a relationship. I'm fine with putting in a new character like that put the romance just felt out of place considering the two races hate each other. I also don't like how they killed off Fili and Kili. They should've died defending their uncles corpse.

getcho eyes checked

Girl Elf
Elf-Dwarf Romance
Third Movie in General
>Shai Hulud
>Trolls
>War-Boars
Dwarfs
>Giving them too much individuality
>Not realizing that the Dwarfs are just a character in and of themselves. It's The Dwarfs. Sometimes they have brief moments of individuality in the book (like Bombur dying) but you don't need to give them whacky personality traits.

Agreed. I will remove my nostalgia goggles for no man. I took them off once and everything looked the same anyway.

The entire final fight sequence in the 3rd is one of the worst things ever conceived in modern cinema

You don't need the other boards.

I took issue with the rollercoaster scenes too.

>Discussing Lord of the Rings isn't Veeky Forums

Who cares if it's a movie, it's Lord of the Rings.

That's like saying Dawn of War can't be discussed because it's a video game.

Veeky Forums is a very broad board, and has a wide range of subjects on it.

Well the first thing we need to address is the beards and hair on those "dwarves". There are a few Dwarves in there sure. but most are just short humans.

this is it, what a fucking shame....