Which is your favourite moment in LOTR?

Which is your favourite moment in LOTR?
For me, it's a hard choice between Ride of the Rohirrim and the Last March of the Ents

youtube.com/watch?v=8Tgi-j56ueU
youtube.com/watch?v=FnYbsAVdkYw

Other urls found in this thread:

youtube.com/watch?v=WskRAEggqkQ
youtube.com/watch?v=aE-o1WKCfSY?t=1m25s
youtube.com/watch?v=k6C8SX0mWP0
youtube.com/watch?v=24tJh7NLr4s
youtube.com/watch?v=BxRYwLMXesw
youtube.com/watch?v=5Naqi06SO6Q
youtube.com/watch?v=Owq_aBJ9G6Q
youtu.be/Ldhbfa0dWAw
youtube.com/watch?v=xVEYcTyj1Do
youtube.com/watch?v=Z6XicBBN1l4
youtube.com/watch?v=J3oXr7XVuhc
youtube.com/watch?v=NT5-ZLJTi0I
youtu.be/bnKnZuM8Q5E
youtube.com/watch?v=MfJirrzRQ60
twitter.com/SFWRedditImages

The Last March of the Ents is pretty damn solid. Though there are some great moments in LotR outside the action sequences, like Gandalf's wisdom

>So do all who live in such times, but it is not for them to decide
>What matters is what we do with the time we are given

Lord of the Rings, for all the DM of the Rings jokes, is a pretty great campaign in the sense that there's just as much time experiencing the beauty of the world and learning great morals as there is on awesome action sequences.

I got shivers from them both. THe power that these movies held over a young me is hard to explain. And when I read the books that power was redoubled. Yes, We've been inundated by tolkienesque fantasy, But... It is certainly for a good reason. LoTR is a very powerful set of fictions.

Dude that's my favorite Traditional Games as well!

For me, it's when Gandalf and Elrond quote Isildur and he uses A-S style English grammar to indicate that the language he spoke is enormously older than the "modern" language people are speaking in Eriador.

The last 30 minutes of Fellowship, when they're seperated and at their weakest but have the resolve to trust in each other (Sam/Frodo, Aragorn/Legolas/Gimli, Merry/Pippin).

can you explain this a bit more in depth? I've been looking to up my ante on dialog immersion in the game s I DM.

Pippin singing over Faramir's charge and Denethor's meal.

youtube.com/watch?v=WskRAEggqkQ

Take, for instance, Gandalf talking about how he went studying up about the Ring, and found a scroll that Isildur wrote.

>It was hot when I first took it, hot as a glede, and my hand was scorched, so that I doubt if I ever again shall be free of the pain of it. Yet even as I write it is cooled, and it seemeth to shrink, though it loseth neither its beauty nor its shape. Already the writing upon it, which at first was as clear as a red flame, fadeth and is now only barely to be read. It is fashioned in an elven-script of Eregion, for they have no letters in Mordor for such subtle work; but the language is unknown to me. I deem it to be a tongue of the Black Land, since it is foul and uncouth. What evil it saith I do not know; but I trace here a copy of it, lest it fade beyond recall. The Ring, missith, maybe, the heat of Sauron's hand, which was black and yet burned like fire, and so Gil-galad was destroyed; and maybe were the gold made hot again, the writing would be refreshed. But as for my part I will risk no hurt to this thing: of all the works of Sauron the only fair. It is precious to me, though I buy it with great pain.

First glance reveals archaic language "glede, words ending in eth, etc." as well as that "precious" that gets thrown around indicating the ring's influence on someone's mind. But look very closely at word order in Isildur's sentences, such as the first one explicitly describing the ring

He puts the object (the ring and adjectives relating to it) then the subject, then the verb. It was hot when I took it. Modern English usually puts the subject first, then the verb, then the object, then adjectives tying into it.

>I took it when it was hot.

You see a lot of hack writers look up in old dictionaries for appropriately archaic diction, but actually using archaic grammar is pretty neat to see.

>Far above the Ephel Dúath in the West the night-sky was still dim and pale. There, peeping among the cloud-wrack above a dark tor high up in the mountains, Sam saw a white star twinkle for a while. The beauty of it smote his heart, as he looked up out of the forsaken land, and hope returned to him. For like a shaft, clear and cold, the thought pierced him that in the end the Shadow was only a small and passing thing: there was light and high beauty for ever beyond its reach.

The entire scene of Sam chasing after Frodo, even though he had been told to go home. That's one of the best displays of true friendship I've seen in any movie ever. Also the last march of the Ents is pretty damn good

Sort of unrelated, but does anybody have the One Ring corebook, or specifically a section where it talks about the traveling mechanics?

Nothing in the Hobbit trilogy comes close to this.

youtube.com/watch?v=aE-o1WKCfSY?t=1m25s

When Bilbo and the dwarves emerge from the misty mountains and talk about home. Better than any scene in LOTR.

>mfw the Ring is destroyed
>mfw the cheers of celebration is turned into horrified silence when everyone realizes Frodo and Sam are probably dead

I am glad you are here with me, Samwise Gamgee. Here at the end of all things.

"The ones that really mattered."
Sams speech to Frodo.

youtube.com/watch?v=k6C8SX0mWP0

The scene where the Rohirrim think they've won Pelennor fields but then they hear the war chants of the Haradrim and you see Theoden's face just lose all hope at the sight of an enemy so great, so mighty, that the king knows he has no chance of beating them.

And then they muster and charge it anyway, the heroic music building up and up and then jarringly cutting out the second the real weight of the situation is realized as the first Mumak devastates a dozen riders with a flick of its tusks.

But they ride on.

The fight in Moria is probably my favorite part.
>Gimli seeing Balkans tome
>Hibbits being stupid
>Fighting off a horde of orcs and goblins
>The Balrog showing up

The death of Boromir was also a good scene just for the feels and what it represents in the story.

Not that user, but my favorite moment in LOTR is also in Moria. It's the scene where they flee Balins tomb and Goblins are crawling out of ever nook and cranny

Agreed. There's far too many great moments for me to have a favorite.

Though after my father passed away I have to admit I'm rather fond of Gandalf's conversation with Pippin about death.

Gif related

youtube.com/watch?v=24tJh7NLr4s

This shit. Nothing else compares.

help me guys!
have the LotR 3 OST, but can't find the "Ride of the Rohirrim". What is the name of it?

When the King Rohan routs the orcs at Minas Tirith and turns to see the Harad in the distance and you can hear the war chants and that fucking eerie war horn.

Battle of the Pellenor fields.

I really like the scene where Aragorn is crowned king, when the Hobbits want to bow to Aragorn. When Aragorn replies with: my friends, you bow to no one.

However, the speech Sam gives at the end of the Two Towers is the besg moment kn the trilogy.
How everything comes together, after all the bleak darkness of the Two Towers followed by the victories at Helms Deep and Isengard while Sam tella Frodo that despite all the terrible things theyve been through and they have yet to face, there is hope

>The whole Moria part
>The Balrog (I mean shit, that thing is so fucking massive and awesome)
>The breaking of the Fellowship and Boromir's death
>The burial of Theoden's son and Theoden's heartfelt grieving
>The Ents sieging Isengard
>"Fell deeds awake: fire and slaughter!"
>Sam's speech (even fucking Gollum felt bad)
>the last scene of TT
>The ride to Osgiliath and Pippin's song
>"DEAAAAATH!"
>the demise of Denethor
>Theoden's death
>"For Frodo"

>the battle scenes

Oh wait, did I overdid it?

Battle of Dagorlad for me. First five minutes of a film got me into fantasy for good.

>Have a bad ass opening like this with the elf battle line
>Hackson goes full retard overboard with the elfiness in the hobbit trilogy

The Hobbit: An Unexepected Journey™ at Imax® PTY Ltd. in 1080p @ 48 frames per second was a mistake.

youtube.com/watch?v=BxRYwLMXesw
Scene both gives me chills and makes me tear up a bit every time.

Gandalf's writing and Ian Mckellen's acting just work so fucking well together.

if we''re talking about the movies, in the fellowship of the ring, i love this scene in the moria, when the fellowship decide to run to the bridge of khazad dum. hard to describe but i love how the balrog is introduced.

when i saw itt for the first time i was blasted

youtube.com/watch?v=5Naqi06SO6Q

Honestly, Boromir is one of my most favourite characters in lotr. The guy's just such a great example of a well-intentioned but ultimately flawed character, and gets an absolute fucking send-off.

I liked the coordinated large movements when the elven army moved in mass, but between hopping over a shieldline and Legolas double-headshotting moving orcs while spinning one-footed on a dwarf's head while said dwarf tumbles down rapids in a barrel just felt... yeah, nah.

But I'm sure at this point Veeky Forums agrees unanimously enough that the hobbit films were ass, so no need to further talk about how ass it was.

>All the Orcs running the fuck away in fear
>Subtle chanting punctuated with 'HOOGH, HEUHG'
>The ominous approaching red light
>Short emphasis on Legolas' face just to show that even the mighty Elven warrior is absolutely fucking TERRIFIED
>Balrog's roar sounding like a fucking erupting volcano
Hell, even Ian McKellen's quiet muttering of "A Demon of the ancient world." made a line that would've otherwise felt a teensy bit corny sound absolutely brilliant.

My favourite moment in the film trilogy was actually a single shot. It's at the end of the Faramir's retreat from Osgiliath after Gandalf has ridden out to force the Nazgul to retreat. The camera follows Gandlaf as he wheels shadowfax around to join Faramir's men, and in the distance pans to show Minas Tirith. It's just such a fantastic shot for showing scale and place.

from 48secs youtube.com/watch?v=Owq_aBJ9G6Q

My favourite moment from the book is Tolkein's reworking of a passage from the Wanderer though I also like the condensed version in the film

“Where now are the horse and the rider? Where is the horn that was blowing?
They have passed like rain on the mountain, like a wind in the meadow;
The days have gone down in the West behind the hills, into shadow.

>The grey pilgrim. That's what they used to call me. Three hundred lives of men I walk this earth and now I have no time.

youtu.be/Ldhbfa0dWAw

It shows gandalf acknowledging Saruman's criticism from fellowship. He did not realise the ring was under his very nose and now his careful work is about to be undone due to this mistake.

Also it's a great reminder how the story is much larger than what's happening on screen. Gandalf is a maia and immortal. He was sent by powers nobody but three people in Middle-earth have ever witnessed. Movie wise at least. It's a couple more characters in the book

I love how the camera moves in that shot as well.
It follows Gandalf, seemingly as if on horseback, without being obnoxiously shaky

>a fellow Balrogbro
That thing's really made out of pure awesomeness.
>"swords are no more use here"
>the music is heated as fuck, the drums are almost ceremonial and make you think of evil spawns blasting it behind cryptically
>that thing emerges out of an inferno and emits a scorching roar
>it has wings made out of some pyroclastic substance that engulf the whole passageway
>that moment when its body blazes forth before fighting Gandalf
>that amazing paning shot when Gandalf readies his protection and the Balrog prepares to strike
>cues awesome free fall battle

Fuck yes this scene was hype as fuck, great opening, great hook. Would have watched a whole movie centered around the glorious Last Alliance.

The Last March of the Ents is mine tho, shit moves me to tears every time.

Battle in Balin's tomb is pretty top tier too. And the breaking of the Fellowship/battle at Amon Hen

Holy fuck this stupid thread is making me cry. Every time I play a youtube link and hear that damn shire music.

Goddamnit, I know nothing is perfect, but damn if I wouldn't keep LotR as the last movie on earth if I had to choose.

We are on Veeky Forums a haven for all things nerdy. You fucking crossed the line into unacceptibility. I want this to sink in. Your favorite scene is literally some old fuck reading a piece of parchment that's thousands of years old.
NERRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRD

The music is always what makes the movies for me.

I want the music that plays over Gandalf's death to be played at my own funeral. That soprano wail is beautiful.

Also the Shire theme will never fail to make me cry.

The main Fellowship theme, especially when played over dramatic sweeping shots, will never not get me hyped for ADVENTURE.

Incidentally, that's one commendation I will give to The Hobbit. The Misty Mountain song was VERY well done, and the dramatic score version of it that played over their own journey scenes also did a good job of getting me invested in the films for a moment.

Last March of the Ents is a fan favorite for a reason. It combines that mystical soprano melancholy with the pounding drums of angry as fuck treemen.

God, that old bastard hauls ASS.

I guess the one thing to match the "winged speed" of a Balrog is the "I'm getting the fuck out of here" sprint of a fellow Maiar.

>the music is heated as fuck...
I believe the chanting in that score is actually Khuzdul, and is basically a choir of dwarves going "this thing's evil as fuck as destroyed our kingdom"

>Wings made of pyroclastic substance
One of my favorite behind-the-scenes facts is how they debated for so long whether to give the Balrog wings or not, since all they had was a line in the Silmarillion about the Balrogs having "winged speed". Their decision to go with the giant wings just for the cool factor couldn't have been better.

For me it's the barrow wight, gave me quite a shiver when I first read it.

Also, when Gandalf tries to magically lock the door in moria and his spell is actually countered by something even more powerful than he is (the balrog actually, he just doesn't know at that time). I just love this sense of impending danger.

The one moment that always stood out for me, watching the movies as a kid, was when Treebeard and the hobbits emerge from the treeline to the ruined wastes around Isengard.

>"Many of these trees were my friends... creatures I had known from nut and acorn..."
>And then that bellow of pain and rage
>"There is no curse in elvish, entish or the tongues of men for this treachery..."
>"Harumm, harumm, come, my friends... the Ents are going to war. It is likely we go to our doom. The Last March of the Ents."
>Shot pans out to show a legion of giant, ancient treefolk lumbering towards Isengard

I know it's everyone's favourite, but man if I don't get a thrill out of the sudden revelation that an evil character is about to get thoroughly fucked up.

>see a lot of hack writers look up in old dictionaries for appropriately archaic diction
Listen bro, you're not a hack just because you don't speak at least two dead languages and invent a few of your own.

I have to say bridge scene with Gandalf and the Balrog. What is truly beautiful, I think, is how Jackson captured what a fight between two Maiar would really look like. Maiar are not physical beings. Gandalf and the balrog have taken physical form to simply interact with humans, elves, orcs, etc. Gandalf and the Balrog are fighting with fundamental forces of reality despite not touching the other physically (until the fall). The balrog seeks to overpower Gandalf with his fire and suffocate his light with shadow, as balrogs are beings of fire and shadow (two aspects of Melkor, their patron deity.) Gandalf is fighting back with his voice and spirit (two aspects of Manwe, his patron deity). So when Gandalf says "you shall not pass," and slams his staff on the bridge, he is pushing the encroaching darkness of the Balrog back and commanding him to not pass--that's why the balrog looks so pissed when he does it because his physical form is being commanded to not pass. When the balrog does pass, reality itself warps to keep the balrog from passing by collapsing the bridge. It's not luck the collapse stopped inches from Gandalf's toes, he commanded the bridge to keep the balrog from passing.

Such an amazing scene.

You kiddies were probably too young to remember the entire movie theater rumbling with people chanting DEATH DEATH DEATH at the ride of the Rohirrim

>"Many of these trees were my friends...creatures I had known since nut an acorn."

>"Leave it! It is over. The world of men will fall. All will come to darkness...and my city to ruin!"

>"No parent should have to bury their child."

And of course, the opening shire scene. Just wonderful.

"Where is the horse and the rider?
Where is the horn that was blowing?
They have passed like rain on the mountains,
like wind in the meadow.
The days have gone down in the West,
behind the hills... into Shadow."

How did it come to this?

>Gandalf driving off the Nazgul with a simple ray of light

The music made that scene for me

It happens when you swap directors half way into production and have to meet a corporate deadline.

The more I learn about the production process for the Hobbit trilogy, the less I blame Jackson for the final product. New Line Cinema forcing rewrites and FX changes to gain better marketing/merchandising sales, and not giving Jackson creative control over most of the production decisions is just insanity given what Jackson had already done for that company.

>What can Men do against such reckless hate?
>Ride out with me.

youtube.com/watch?v=Z6XicBBN1l4

my nigga

>"No onslaught more fierce was ever seen in the savage world of beasts, where some desperate small creature armed with little teeth, alone, will spring upon a tower of horn and hide that stands above its fallen mate."
Out of all the members of the Fellowship, Sam's happy ending was the most well-deserved.

pretty much anything with the rohirrim

I wanted to do an army of them in the GW LotR game, but all-cav felt cheesy.

>A sword day!
>A red day!
>ERE THE SUN RISES!
Actual fucking chills. I love everything about this shot. The music swells, and we get to see, "Oh shit. That's what 6,000 cavalry looks like!"

if you want to use Veeky Forums as a less shit /b/ at least make a halfassed traditional game tie in.

How about fuck you?

HEY EVERYONE WHO LIKES THE ONE RING RPG I DO

There, happy?

>when you realize that the ride of the winged Hussars was 4x that size

>turks faces when

>what's your favorite moment in LOTR?
>everyone lists scenes from the movies
Fucking normie plebs

>everyone lists scenes from the movies

Oh, did New line get around to making novelizations of the movies too? How are they?

What's the problem?

the movies were fucking good

I really like the ride of the Rohirrim and "Where is the horse and the rider"

I also like Sam talking about how he would have married Rosie Cotton if he'd stayed at home.

youtube.com/watch?v=J3oXr7XVuhc
>that brief moment when they all sit down in the pub and look around at everyone having a good time but they all look like they feel out of place

"Drums, drums in the deep"
That scene ... when they read in the book. That got me so hard when I was twelve.

... and then Pippin fucks it all up ... as always

The Ride of the Rohirrim and Eowyn's fight with the Witchking (book version).

The film version is neat and all, but it lacks the punch of the intial glorious charge contrasted against the Haradrim contrasted to Eomer's later bersek charge that almost gets everyone killed.

Yet he himself wept as he spoke. 'Let his knights remain here,' he said; 'and bear his body in honour from the field, lest the battle ride over it! Yea, and all these other of the king's men that lie here.' And he looked at the slain, recalling their names. Then suddenly he beheld his sister ?owyn as she lay, and he knew her. He stood a moment as a man who is pierced in the midst of a cry by an arrow through the heart; and then his face went deathly white; and a cold fury rose in him, so that all speech failed him for a while. A fey mood took him.

'Eowyn, Eowyn!' he cried at last: 'Eowyn, how come you here? What madness or devilry is this? Death, death, death! Death take us all!'
Then without taking counsel or waiting for the approach of the men of the City, he spurred headlong back to the front of the great host, and blew a horn, and cried aloud for the onset. Over the field rang his clear voice calling: 'Death! Ride, ride to ruin and the world's ending!'

That and replacing Eowyn's dialouge with a Schwarzenegger one-liner.

'But no living man am I! You look upon a woman. Eowyn I am, Eomund's daughter. You stand between me and my lord and kin. Begone, if you be not deathless! For living or dark undead, I will smite you, if you touch him.'

Really, if you only are going to read a bit of the books, read the Battle of the Pelennor Fields and the Houses of Healing

Forgot pic

>be Haradrim serf
>hear the Great Eye is mustering His armies to finally take the war to the cursed Dunedain invaders
>decide to join the local king's army
>it's a vast host unlike anything you've seen, filled with mighty mumakil, goblins, and giants from the far south
>march to Gondor, eyes full of wonder at the strange new land
>suddenly everyone around you starts dying
>take an arrow to the stomach
>die bleeding out, alone and far from home

That scene in the Two Towers was pretty feelsy. Tolkien gets a rep for rigid black and white morality, but there's enough on the Southrons that make you wonder how bad they really were.

Even the orcs get a few really humanising moments, really.

youtube.com/watch?v=NT5-ZLJTi0I

that doesnt really work in a movie though, you cannot have long outdrawn dialog in an action sequence or it will become like watching an opera or something.

Okay, have her take of the helmet in response to the "No man can kill me" then.
Will give the actress an opportunity to emote and for the WK to hesitate for a moment before attacking. No dialouge needed.

As for Eomer, just shorten his speech a bit and you're done.

Actually I destinctly remember the valor the Haradrim fought with under the Serpent Banner fighting a retreating battle, ever regrouping around the remaining mumakil even after the goblin hordes ran like little bitches.

Their loyalty might have been misplaced, but they stood their ground nevertheless and none can doubt their prowess and honor. So you could say there are little pieces of grey in the stories.

>Actually I destinctly remember the valor the Haradrim fought with under the Serpent Banner fighting a retreating battle, ever regrouping around the remaining mumakil even after the goblin hordes ran like little bitches.
That was the Easterlings.
The Haradrim were noted several times for being brsve as well though.

In the movies:
That long camera pan as everyone bows before the Hobbits and they don't even know how to react, with normal people looking up to them literally and figuratively for the first time.
Honourable mentions go to Frodo's farewell.

In the books:
The talk between Frodo and Sam right after the destruction of the ring when they are convinced they'll die there.

Tolkien was a WW1 vet so him humanizing common soldiers is hardly surprising.

>And so Gollum found them hours later, when he returned, crawling and creeping down the path out of the gloom ahead. Sam sat propped against the stone, his head dropping sideways and his breathing heavy. In his lap lay Frodo’s head, drowned deep in sleep; upon his white forehead lay one of Sam’s brown hands, and the other lay softly upon his master’s breast. Peace was in both their faces.

>Gollum looked at them. A strange expression passed over his lean hungry face. The gleam faded from his eyes, and they went dim and grey, old and tired. A spasm of pain seemed to twist him, and he turned away, peering back up towards the pass, shaking his head, as if engaged in some interior debate. Then he came back, and slowly putting out a trembling hand, very cautiously he touched Frodo’s knee – but almost the touch was a caress. For a fleeting moment, could one of the sleepers have seen him, they would have thought that they beheld an old weary hobbit, shrunken by the years that had carried him far beyond his time, beyond friends and kin, and the fields and streams of youth, an old starved pitiable thing.

For all the flak Tolkien gets from the modern dark fantasy crowd, he actually has a remarkably realistic depiction of battles considering how high fantasy everything is. A lot of the scenes of war in the books were written as being a nightmarish horror of despair. Even The Hobbit has a moment where it describes goblin bodies being piled high after a battle - which is certainly something you'd see in a war with guns and artillery, since a lot more people would come to a dead stop in one place.

You could have done an abridged version with Éowyn taking off her helmet a moment sooner, though.

And let's be honest, "I don't care if you're a man or a god or whatever, touch my father and I will fucking murder you" is the kind of sentiment audiences will cheer for and welcome a momentary pause in the action for. Certainly seems to work for other movies.

Then suddenly Merry felt it at last, beyond doubt: a change. Wind was in his face! Light was glimmering. Far, far away, in the South the clouds could be dimly seen as remote grey shapes, rolling up, drifting: morning lay beyond them.

But at that same moment there was a flash, as if lightning had sprung from the earth beneath the City. For a searing second it stood dazzling far off in black and white, its topmost tower like a glittering needle; and then as the darkness closed again there came rolling over the fields a great boom.

At that sound the bent shape of the king sprang suddenly erect. Tall and proud he seemed again; and rising in his stirrups he cried in a loud voice, more clear than any there had ever heard a mortal man achieve before:

Arise, arise, Riders of Theoden!
Fell deeds awake: fire and slaughter!
spear shall be shaken, shield be splintered,
a sword-day, a red day, ere the sun rises!
Ride now, ride now! Ride to Gondor!

With that he seized a great horn from Guthlaf his bannerbearer, and he blew such a blast upon it that it burst asunder. And straightway all the horns in the host were lifted up in music, and the blowing of the horns of Rohan in that hour was like a storm upon the plain and a thunder in the mountains.

Ride now, ride now! Ride to Gondor!

Suddenly the king cried to Snowmane and the horse sprang away. Behind him his banner blew in the wind, white horse upon a field of green, but he outpaced it. After him thundered the knights of his house, but he was ever before them. Eomer rode there, the white horsetail on his helm floating in his speed, and the front of the first eored roared like a breaker foaming to the shore, but Theoden could not be overtaken. Fey he seemed, or the battle-fury of his fathers ran like new fire in his veins, and he was borne up on Snowmane like a god of old, even as Oromë the Great in the battle of the Valar when the world was young. His golden shield was uncovered, and lo! it shone like an image of the Sun, and the grass flamed into green about the white feet of his steed. For morning came, morning and a wind from the sea; and darkness was removed, and the hosts of Mordor wailed, and terror took them, and they fled, and died, and the hoofs of wrath rode over them. And then all the host of Rohan burst into song, and they sang as they slew, for the joy of battle was on them, and the sound of their singing that was fair and terrible came even to the City.

Yeah, I think at the very least having that last couple lines verbatim would have been nice. They had something similar to them, but they weren't as hardcore.

Dayum nigga you autistic as fuck, and I love it.

This kind of shit is why Im glad to call myself a fa/tg/uy.

>'Eowyn, Eowyn!' he cried at last: 'Eowyn, how come you here? What madness or devilry is this? Death, death, death! Death take us all!'
>Then without taking counsel or waiting for the approach of the men of the City, he spurred headlong back to the front of the great host, and blew a horn, and cried aloud for the onset. Over the field rang his clear voice calling: 'Death! Ride, ride to ruin and the world's ending!'
>And with that the host began to move. But the Rohirrim sang no more. Death they cried with one voice loud and terrible, and gathering speed like a great tide their battle swept about their fallen king and passed, roaring away southwards.

That was also my favourite part of the books.

Movie was great and all but it was a big hero charge to bring death to the deserving whereas in the book it was a warrior prince going through rage and into the cold on the other side and charging into death.

>And the Captains gazed south to the Land of Mordor, it seemed to them that, black against the pall of cloud, there rose a huge shape of shadow, impenetrable, lightning-crowned, filling all the sky. Enormous it reared above the world, and stretched out towards them a vast threatening hand, terrible but impotent: for even as it leaned over them, a great wind took it, and it was all blown away, and passed; and then a hush fell.

>>It was hot when I first took it, hot as a glede, and my hand was scorched, so that I doubt if I ever again shall be free of the pain of it. Yet even as I write it is cooled, and it seemeth to shrink, though it loseth neither its beauty nor its shape. Already the writing upon it, which at first was as clear as a red flame, fadeth and is now only barely to be read. It is fashioned in an elven-script of Eregion, for they have no letters in Mordor for such subtle work; but the language is unknown to me. I deem it to be a tongue of the Black Land, since it is foul and uncouth. What evil it saith I do not know; but I trace here a copy of it, lest it fade beyond recall. The Ring, missith, maybe, the heat of Sauron's hand, which was black and yet burned like fire, and so Gil-galad was destroyed; and maybe were the gold made hot again, the writing would be refreshed. But as for my part I will risk no hurt to this thing: of all the works of Sauron the only fair. It is precious to me, though I buy it with great pain.
that's pretty cool, Thanks! I'll have to keep the grammar in mind next time I fuck around with my dialog!

shit, Forgot about the copy paste shit. there goes my autism showing.

youtu.be/bnKnZuM8Q5E

I guess for me it's got to be the scene when Frodo's been stung, knocked out, and is in the process of being wrapped up for dinner by every arachnophobe's worst nightmare when we see Sting come into frame.

youtube.com/watch?v=MfJirrzRQ60

"Let him go *you filth*."

That scene is great in the old radio adaptation because the guy playing Legolas does the "Ai! Aiiii!" thing, which sounds stupid on paper but the way he does it makes it sound like he's absolutely shitting himself with pure terror.

Shit, I've never thought of it that way. That's really neat, well done user.

Gandalf's "patron" valar is Nienna, not Manwe, and her primary aspect is pity.

He's also fighting back with sword and staff, which would probably be more in line with Orome or possibly Tulkas.