/5eg/ D&D 5th Edition General

Volo's Guide to Monsters in the trove. Be sure to buy it and support the hobby even if you download it!

>Official /5eg/ Mega Trove v3:
mega.nz/#F!BUdBDABK!K8WbWPKh6Qi1vZSm4OI2PQ

>Community DMs Guild trove
>Submit to [email protected], cleaning available!
mega.nz/#F!UA1BhCBS!Oul1nsYh15qJvCWOD2Wo9w

>Pastebin with resources and so on:
pastebin.com/X1TFNxck

>/5eg/ Discord server
discord.gg/0rRMo7j6WJoQmZ1b

>Veeky Forums character sheets
mega.nz/#F!x0UkRDQK!l-iAUnE46Aabih71s-10DQ

Previous thread: "Unearthed Arcana: Barbarian" edition
media.wizards.com/2016/dnd/downloads/UA_Barbarian.pdf

So the new zealot barb, if you die while raging, you dont die until after the rage, right. Can a regular cure wounds or whatever prevent that?

so ancestors is really boring but basically screws over any boss fight type deal, zealot is flavorful, strong and versatile (amazing capstone desu), and storm is extremely mixed. ocean seems fun but overall i'm not sold on this one. still, it's extremely flavorful and i can see it making setting specific campaigns (egypt themed, pirate themed, norse themed, etc) and a viking that calls down the wrath of thor sounds pretty tight. overall, i give them 5/10, 7/10, 9/10.

Has anyone used Fantasy Grounds with the 5e modules?

I'd love to try it out, but it's a fucking fortune. They offer a monthly sub for the Ultimate upgrade, but all that does is let players using the demo play in your games, it doesn't include any actual content.

Anyone know a way to install the modules to try them out, without paying a metric fuck-ton?

Just use roll20.

I don't believe so, going with the "specific beats general" rule of thumb.

>"Having 0 hit points does not knock you unconscious"
This changes the general rules for having 0 hit points. The next sentence reiterates that the rest of the general rules still apply.
>"However, if you would die due to failing death saving throws, you don't die until your rage ends."
At 3 failed saving throws, you die. The above does not modify the consequences of your failed saving throws, merely when that consequence takes place.

Casting cure wounds or the like on a Raging Zealot after they have failed 3 death saves would be no different, mechanically, from casting it on a corpse.

The logic that +hit points would help a Raging Zealot who has failed his third death save is working from the premise that they are no different from someone who is merely at 0 hit points and still conscious.

The final clause of that 14th level feature seems more apt to "die on your own terms" than making death even more difficult for a Barbarian.

What's your favourite feat?

I'm an illusionist, level 5. I asked in the previous thread, but now for illusory reality

It seems really cool, but at the same time what can it even do? You can't trap someone in a pit and keep them underground, you can't harm anyone with it, and the terrain is ultimately an illusion.

Most I can is blocking / or maybe scaring. True sight also gimps it.

I'm feeling some pretty strong regret honestly.

I am a level 1 light cleric. Variant human, since base human sucks. What feat should I take?
I also have a custom background that cuts my speed in half due to my character being crippled.

The ones attached to my ankles.

I'm a big fan of the UA Spear Mastery featm it makes Spear/Shield a pretty fun option.

If I had to pick an official one though, Tavern Brawler is probably the most fun you can get out of a single feat. Beat a motherfucker with another motherfucker, or with a table, or with a rock, or just about anything.

Daily reminder intelligence is a shit stat
Strength is a shit stat
Charisma is a shit stat
Bladelock is a shit stat

wrong spelling

now tell me user, I must know

>Path of the Ancestral Guardian
Good tank, starts really well, but its level 10 and 14 abilities are meh, especially considering you cant use Ancestral shield AND Vengeful Ancestors on the same round.

>Path of the Storm Herald
A pretty straightforward and simple subclass, I liked it. Storm Soul seems weak compared to Bear Totem tho, and I think they should make each environment a little more different

>Path of the Zealot
Divine Fury is better than Storm of Fury, more damage, better damage type and it deals at the end of your turn, even considering the lesser range.
Zealous Focus is very strong, auto success per short rest? The fact that it only consumes a reaction makes it even better
Advantage to attacks and Saving throws to all allies as an action is good, but on a barbarian its not that great, as barbs are great damage dealers.
Also you cant die, this is pretty neat.
Best subclass they showed in this UA imo

> wrong spelling

I'm well aware, friend. That is where the humor lies.

To answer your question, I'm fond of Inspiring Leader.

Not bad at all. Now to think how else could you sacrifice survivability for damage.

>have low Charisma
>DM requires lots of Charisma checks for NPCs
>throws a monster at us that needs pass Charisma check or be useless in fight
>same happens in with int
STR hasn't done me a lot of good as a class that doesn't have use for it though.

>true sight gimps it
But if it's reality, how can true sight see through it?
>you can't trap someone in a pit
You can. Why couldn't you?

To be honest, it does take a bit of imagination to go beyond 'poof, adamantium wall'

No fun allowed edition, because the DM went full retard.

>tfw no whirling frenzy dual-wielder barbs

>charisma is shit
u wot m8
>bladelock is shit
unfortunately true

>have high charisma
>most interactions take place normally as they might in reality without rolls
>only unusual situations tend to require charisma checks

Why would you need to pass a charisma check to be able to fight, though? Is it a charisma save?
Charisma saves are pretty damn rare, so that's either a one-off or your DM doesn't understand what a charisma save is.

I enjoyed using Mobile with a Monk, made for a very hit and run playstyle. All the movement helped get in, get a couple of punches down and then run away like a little girl.

If you're not a charisma caster, charisma does nothing other than make you slightly better at socializing when chances are you're not going to 'need' to socialize much (a lot less often than you'll need to fight), especially when you're practically gauranteed to have a charisma-based caster on your team who can talk for you.
Also the saves aren't awfully common.

How would you stat and run an ancient golem about the size of a small country hell-bent on crossing the ocean and destroying a human king half a world away?

I wouldn't. That sounds fucking stupid. Whoever designed that is a shit DM.

Half the classes in the game are charisma casters.

I'd stat it as 'the entire world is engulfed in waves up on waves of tsunamis because you've failed to acknowledge the implications of a whole fucking country that walks and moves and everybody dies, you lose.'

Yeah, a Charisma save. I forget what monster it was but it was a "appears from no where" type of thing and only one character could reliably make the save.

We needed to make rolls for basic interactions, like asking directions to something or convincing random weak NPCs to leave for their safety even after giving them supplies and directions on where to go for safety while we held enemies off. DM was a bit of a dick in hind sight.

What's if it's a really small country? Like, Vatican?

Colossal Magical Construct
Stats: Infinite
No really, why the fuck would you ask for stats of a country sized enemy?
Do you want its GDP and population?

I fucked up, I had meant to say that it was just large enough to climb mountains with relative ease, but I don't think I'll get an answer now.

>Play as a Zealot Barbarian named Lorian
>Have a friend play as a cleric named Lothric

Something sized like the Vatican would be doable.

Mobile? It would help ameliorate the effects of being slow as molasses.

Just take a look at the Tarrasque and base if on that, its pretty much the size you're looking for

buy a magical scooter

That would ruin the point of the custom background though

Depends how you define the country.

If you define it in terms of d(r)d(thi)d(theta) where r is the radius of the earth, everybody's still pretty fucked, although it won't cause global disasters just by existing.

But also depending on the composition it'll probably just break like that one comic about all the soviet dictators going GATTAI and forming a giant mech.

How do you fuck up that badly?

Then maybe you shouldn't have made a retarded background.

A 4 wheel frame.

I have difficulty communicating relative size

make sure it has a sick custom honk

I took it only because it was so shitty, while every other background granted powerful and useful features with basically no drawbacks. There has to be SOMETHING about it.

Actor.
Use it to pretend to be crippled for more effective begging in cities.

I made meteors, dragons, fields of bear traps etc

And you can't trap someone underground because the ground is an illusion - when you make it real, it is a real pit, but it does not displace the ground or destroy anything underneath it.

>custom scooter gives you a slight speed bonus like a mount
>can get damaged and may need a tune up here and there
>adds weight to your character
>well timed honk can give bonus to something
>if party wants to go to a pub they need to make sure there is wheel chair scooter access or carry you up the stairs

make sure to complain to management for lack of disability access

damn I want a scooter now

desert shouldnt deal damage and instead be more like a sandstorm, maybe cause disadvantage or make you lightly obscured? and the level 6 feature should definitely be a bit more expanded, maybe let them do ranger shit i.e. forage better or ignore difficult terrain in their chosen environment. rp and exploration stuff.

>Tfw you carry your cleric in your back

I can't think of any illusions that allow you to cover up anything that's real, aside from making a flat illusion on top of the ground that's basically just like putting a painting there.

Since they have to be objects, not lack-of-objects.

You could trap somebody if you dug the hole first and used the illusion to make a lid over the hole.

Even if the illusion doesn't damage, you could use it to generate difficult terrain since enemies still have to walk over it.

You could use it to make a box that you could shoot arrows out of.

You could use it to make an invincible, floating platform to sit on top of, probably. .. And then blast spells from it while using it as cover.

You could make a non-mobile tank.

I'm not really sure.

I've got 14 wis, 20 Int and 10-12 everything else as a wizard

Should I bother multi classing?

Nice quads. Maybe multiclass as a cleric for one level to get armor proficiencies and access to some utility divine spells?

a dip in war cleric would give you all armor and weapon proficiencies which is pretty fucking wild

tempest cleric for maximized lightning bolt

No, do not.

i need help guys. I need some ideas. The start of CoS has some cool ideas on how to attract adventurers to Barovia. I was thinking about having them and some soldiers investigate some problems in the woods near Daggerford. They could stumble upon signs of a werwolf prowling in the area. Dead bodies, strange sounds .. and then they get ambushed by the werwolf (might be one of the NPCs from the adventure module with the werwolf den? how can i tie this in ?). They get slaughtered after a brief fight and die. They wake up in Barovia. Now... how do i make the hunt cool ? Immersive ?

and another question. one is a paladin and one is a cleric... any ideas on how to deal with this in Barovia ? like... some interesting side effects on being holy in a cursed land ?

>Now... how do i make the hunt cool ? Immersive ?
Soundboards for spooky forest noises do wonders. Turn the lights down low, have the players use flashlights or candles (if you're really OG) when reading their sheets or making rolls.

You've been playing for a while since you have 20 int, right?

If you get attacked frequently, a level in cleric could give you extra defence. Otherwise, don't bother.

You can't even multiclass in anything other than druid or cleric.

I'm level 4, and I rolled 3 6s for Int, plus IAC for +2 Int

I just leveled to 5, so was thinking of getting a level in something

I'm just using shield for defense, I have 11 AC

>so ancestors is really boring but basically screws over any boss fight type deal
Even Strahd?

The wording is so unclear. They use "would die" and "don't die", it's not sure they mean "3 failed saves, you die".

>you don't die until your rage ends
vs
>you die when your rage ends

Yeah. Zealot seems quite nice, strong, and flavorful. The other two feel like they need some tweaking to work well.

Ancestor basically begs you to pick up the Tunnel Rat fighting style from a dip into fighter, but it feels like it isn't quite good enough to build a fully defensive barbarian around.

Sea under Storm is nice, though,desert and tundra are more meh. Adding more variety would be nice there, though it is certainly a cool concept.

I feel like a good addition to all of these would be some rituals similar to what totem gets. Ancestor would be a lot cooler if they could use Speak with Dead.

Still Wizards putting shit like that out is immeasurably light years ahead of other similar practices by Paizo, who would nerf it to the ground.

>I have 11 AC

oh jeez

Well make sure you get 3rd level Wizard spells. Stay Wizard, don't MC until character level 6 if you're going to MC.

with 11ac I do think hitting up cleric for some armor would help. Throw on scale male for 15ac, use a shield for 17ac, then use your focus in your free hand

Is the plotline "Bring x amount of macguffins to open y temple, stop or destroy z that was inside y" bad?
Assuming that it isn't the only development in the campaign.

Is there any mechanical reason for a caster to use a longsword?

Aside from a War cleric? Not really. A Wizard will probably want a rapier instead if they expect melee

No, it works in every Zelda game and those are great.

People love 'item sets' if you give them a cool theme and make getting each one different from the others.

Having something that boils down to a cliche isn't necessarily a bad thing, it's all in the dressing and presentation.

probably not, but giving him disadvantage and half speed on a disengage with no chance to resist is pretty solid.

Not unless the DM wants there to be.

Gandalf used one, and he was a pimp

So long as it's fun and you've got plans to deal with the players fucking everything up.

I gave the high elf wizard in my party a magic longsword that just had finesse basically.
He loves it, and I don't think he realises that he hasn't ever actually used it...

>storm barbarian lizardfolk that only bite attacks outdamages monk

YOU CAN'T MAKE THIS SHIT UP

it's the caster's spell focus

Could someone tell me what happened during the Dawn Cataclysm?

4E had several classes use swords as implements (casting focuses, essentially). Suppose you could mock something up 5E

>be 20th level barbarian
>have endless rage uses
>never stop raging
>never die from combat so long as I'm not prevented from acting for an rage's duration
wew
lad

What would be a good trait for ship-dwelling trader-pirate dwarves?

Monks do less damage than all the other martial classes on purpose bruh.
You're a fucking stun-bot.

Poison immunity.
Resistance isn't gonna be enough.

My orcs/hobgoblins look pic related.

>if you calm down, you die

It's like Crank 4: D&D

>be 20th level druid
>have endless wild shapes
>can spend all day barking at people
>never die in combat so long as you can wildshape buffer health

(you)

Scourge Aasimar confirmed immortal.

What's the connection between ships and poison?

You can also get super-nuked between your rounds though - can't do that to the barb

Alcohol poisoning

eww

>meek open fist monk
>get double quivering palmed
>die

what if I wildshape into a raging barbarian

can i do that

just throw intellect devourers at him

so what race/class combos are you guys looking forward to making with volos?

How would this be as a monk fix?

>Add Wis to damage rolls starting at level 11
>At the start of each turn, get Temp HP equal to half your remaining Ki

Would something like that solve their damage and survivability?

i'll quiver your palm

Stop being so gay

i don't want to

>10 temp hp every turn at lv20
isn't that like a lot, i've never made it to that level.