What is the best system to run a Hero Academia game in?

What is the best system to run a Hero Academia game in?

Other urls found in this thread:

drifters.pbworks.com/f/Aberrant - Player's Guide.pdf
youtube.com/watch?v=ChCp9knOnII
twitter.com/NSFWRedditVideo

Racial Holy War

Mutants and Masterminds

FATE?
GURPS?
Mutants & Masterminds?
That newer Marvel system?

I forgot about that setting.

Someone needs to add actual rules and stats to make it functional.

Is there anything that makes it unique to just a generic supers setting?
Might as well ask what the best Supers system is.

Godlike/wild talents is another option.

Not much, desu

i mean, Quirks are usually a bit more bizzare than your usual supers setting, but nothing beyond that

so basically best supers setting.

Probably just use M&M but low PL, very limited flight, and powers can only follow one theme and may have a drawback.

This, but the system has some broken aspects. So players need to discuss with the DM on discussing power advancements, and limiters.

What is wild talents like

Pretty much everyone has super powers, so there's no "hate a fear us" xmen bullshit and the government is actually competent enough to make registration work and a good idea.

I found something you should look at. A friend of mine that runs games at a shop uses it often.
drifters.pbworks.com/f/Aberrant - Player's Guide.pdf

To be fair the game does recognise this

That's... actually somewhat refreshing.

Compared to western comics where whenever law enforcement or the government wants to take steps to deal with the rise of super crime they are always portrayed as fascist monster or literal nazis, as if its wrong for normal people to protect themselves in those circumstances instead of simply leaving it all in the hands of tights-wearing vigilantes with no oversight

To be fair, in Marval at least, handing a list of known superhuman to a government that okayed the production of giant superhuman murdering robots really isn't a good idea.

I hate the discrimination giant robots face in Marvel comics.

They are either evil and are capable of killing ALL DA MUTIES LEADING TO THE DARK TIMELINE or if heroic then they are massive jobbers that aren't allowed to beat anything and are killed off in stupid ways (or turned into teenage asian girls).

Shit sucks.

godlike/ wild talents uses the One-Roll Engine where basically The One-Roll Engine uses a dice pool of d10s equal to the character's Stat and Skill similar to that used by Storyteller system. Since the dice are always d10s, a pool is written as the number of dice followed by a "d"; for example, a pool of six dice would be written "6d".

While most dice pool systems count the number of dice which roll above a certain number to determine success, the O.R.E. system instead depends on matching dice, such as a pair of dice showing 8 or three dice showing 2. Matching dice are called a "set"; the number of matching dice in a set is called the "Width", while the face up number on the dice is the set's "Height". Shorthand notation for writing results is Width x Height, so a pair of 8s would be written 2x8 and three 2s would be written 3x2.

A roll may have more than one set; the player can usually choose which one to use. If there are no matches, then the player may select a single die to act as a set with a Width of 1. In general, a set's Width determines the speed of an action, while the Height determines how successful the action was. In combat, Width and Height also determine the damage and hit location.

Powers, such as those possessed by superhuman Talents in Godlike, are modeled with special dice. "Hard Dice" are considered to always have a value of 10, while "Wiggle Dice" have a value assigned by the player after the rest of the pool is rolled. The shorthand notation for Hard Dice is hd and Wiggle Dice is wd, so a Dice pool of six regular dice, two Hard Dice and one Wiggle Die would be noted 6d+2hd+1wd.

as for the setting godlike it supers in WWII, but its fairly "realistic" then the usual weird war superhero affair unless you built to take a hit you can and probably will die to a snipers bullet to the head, powers can sort of be nullified or at least be softened by other talents as its a sort of "mind over matter".

wild talents uses the same system and the story more or less picks up where the war ends but this time your unable to counteract each other's powers by will alone. Beyond being a follow-up to Godlike, Wild Talents includes tools and ideas for any superhero setting.

I can maybe post it if there's any interest. personally I like the system and the fluff for the story is neat especially the way they incorporate real life events from WWII.

That's every fucking supers game's problem

Note that most people's superpowers are really low-level obscure stuff that can't be used for superheroing (like "I can stretch my neck out to 3 feet"), so most people still have normal jobs.

Monsters and Other Childish Things with the Bigger Bads expansion book.

Weird Kids are the setting's bread and butter, and the system makes them easy to build, especially in comparison to other systems if the powers are imaginative.

Why use Wild Talents when MaOCT is simpler and better suited to the setting? Boku no Hero Academia is much more comedic than Wild Talents' standard fare of Anti-"Reed Richards Is Useless"

>(or turned into teenage asian girls).
tell me more

in truth, preference really.

they both use the ORE so its not a huge system calsh. I like the rules they have for talent vs. talent and its less work in my opinion to adapt wild talents/godlike to Hero Academia then compared MaOCT, supers to supers and all that nonsense.plus nothing says it needs to be a gritty bullet to the head and you die system, they have variant rules for making it lighter and tone is what you and your GM make it.

plus as I said it includes tools and ideas for any superhero setting which is helpful if your new and/or starting from scratch.

like I said it ultimately comes down to what you prefer, is all.

Can you explain why MaOCT works so well for this? I haven't read it, but my understanding was that it was for supernatural horror based on childhood imaginings.

MaOCT's base mechanics are based on playing a mundane child with a monstrous friend that can be pretty much anything. The Bigger Bads book adds a different PC option: Weird Kids.

Weird Kids are children with Weird Skills. The example in the book is a girl with a lovecraftian kaiju fungus growing on her arm, and from there you get kids with laser pointer eyes and, you know, stuff you'd see in Boku no Hero. The system is based on quirky designs and powers, so it fits very well.

Other mechanics that help are things like Relationships, which allow you to add dice to your pool by risking them (and serve as a plot trigger when you go fix them if they break).

The game is allegedly comedy/horror, but that's only because of the focus on having the children enable their monsters or ask them to do regrettable things. There are suggested setting alterations for playing a more superhro inspired thing.

The RPG you might be thinking of with your description is likely Little Fears. MaOCT is not as focused on horror.

I might have conflated it with Little Fears, yeah. I tend to do that with systems with similar premises if I haven't played/at least read either of them

Like what said

What keeps Hero Academia somewhat balanced is that while say >90% of the population have a superpower, only ~10%-20%(maybe/probably less) of those with super powers are actually strong enough to be superheroes, and maybe 30-50% of those people are bad guys. Like, the main character's mom can use a slow-moving Telekinesis on shit that weighs like five pounds or less, while his friend Ochako can manipulate gravity to make anything up to 3 tons practically weightless.

Connecting back to your point, it becomes something of a situation like in The Incredibles where the government may help in your relocation and in hiding your heroic identity since they only really need to keep tabs on a few individuals.

Definitely not GURPS, unless everyone is staying with low tier quirks. All Might is very difficult to pull off in GURPS, and requires a ludicrous amount of points iirc

Supers revised is my vote. It's more about your ability to work with players to create meaningful quirks and uses of those quirks than anything else desu. Prioritize high skill over powers.

5e

Theme of the thread
youtube.com/watch?v=ChCp9knOnII

this thread has inspired me to maybe possibly probablynot run a Hero Academia game. what sort of adventures/missions/scenarios could I use assuming said players are starting off as students. also what would you put their power limits at roughly?

Well for one thing, "normal people" in this setting DO have superpowers. Quirkless people are viewed as evolutionary throwbacks and are generally pitied (or mocked viciously if they're in school, because kids are shits). Basically, take the bit of Xmen they've been implying for decades about mutants being the next step in human evolution, and then advance forward enough that that's actually true.
>Quirks are inherited genetically, and typically manifest in children by the age of four. A child can manifest either one of his parents' Quirks or a composite of the two. As Quirks are said to be the next stage of evolution in the human race, it is possible to diagnose a person as Quirkless by analyzing the presence or absence of an extra joint in their pinky toe: those without the joint have evolved by discarding a body part they don't use, and will likely develop a Quirk; those who still have it have yet to evolve, and, as such, possess no Quirk at all.

>here are several laws and procedures to ensure the conscientious use of Quirks. During elementary school, children receive Quirk counseling, in order to learn how to use their powers responsibly.[7] Public display of Quirks are against the law,[8] except in cases of self defense, such as when one is under attack or preventing someone else from being attacked.[9]

Look up Red Ronin

Rescue, cleaning, helping to the elderly, etc

>Tfw like Todoroki at first sight
>Tfw you realize he's a GaaraxSasuke kind of guy
Thank god his agnst didn't last long though, holy shit.

As for Bakugo, I hate that guy, he's so fucking entitled and lucky, which feeds more his entitlement.

Heroes in MHA aren't known for hiding their identity that much, Heroism is a job and big name heroes have their own head offices where subordinate heroes work or rookie heroes take work experience courses on to give them hands-on experience.
The highly-renowned ones also have merchandise.

Its much more like Tiger & Bunny but with ACTUAL superheroes that are (for the most part) goodhearted and heroic individuals that can inspire the public instead of only semi-competent tv stars taking part in a series that is a weird mixture of Big Brother & COPS where they explicitly compete against each other for 'points'.

I wonder if Endeavour has actual moustache and beard, if not, badass use of his powers.

>for the most part
90% of heroes aren't deserving of the title. Prove me wrong.

I love how this guy is actually "helping".

Stain you edgy faggot get off the internet, I'm surprised they let you shitpost from prison.

I love that fucker because he's an arrogant shithead that holds himself to his own high standards and tells supervillains to get fucked to their face.

>lucky
Man that exam
>Fuck off!! go fucking die somewhere else! like now!
>Oh, he realized we were actually faking our injuries, so skilled assessing, +50 points

>Best Jeanist won the best jeanist prize for 4 years in a row
He's fucking cheating for sure

>literally the next thing the assessor says
>"but this is still supposed to be an emergency situation, HE STILL LOSES POINTS for treating the injured badly!"

cowabunga dude, care to tell me more about the corruption of society over some pizza my radical man?

You're a total idiot user, they were shocked that he seemed to have so casually assessed and seen through that they were playing the role of only 'lightly injured' victims, but they still docked him points for his attitude towards civvies in distress.

Also he's one of the few that fails the second part of the exam

>he seemed to have so casually assessed and seen through that they were playing the role of only 'lightly injured' victims
He didn't that's the thing, he just tells everybody to fuck off and die on a ditch, but people always asume deep meaning behind his words like "top tier assessment under emergency situation"

It's made for hilarity purposes, user, why are you so anal?

>"-THAT HE SEEMED TO HAVE-"
Better than your assessment of basic sentences to be honest.

And the fact that gave him no help due to his attitude and he only lost points due to his failing, the confusion on their part did him no favors and was played for a joke if anything.

BESM

I wouldn't strain to limit their powers, just use a system that doesn't go into the minutia so they don't need to have a fuckton of "points" just to get what they want. Part of the fun is making cool shit.

As for what you should do, consider inserting a few setting conceits that let you have villains the rest of the good guys aren't openly (and more succesfully) fighting. Boku no Hero has a real problem with that, and always needs to engineer situations that let "NPCs" handle a chunk of the work which wouldn't work in a tabletop.

Consider the angle of the big guys having bigger problems to deal with (like having them all busy dealing with extraterrestrial threats or some bullshit) or just have the PCs be vigilantes dealing with threats the heroes refuse to recognize (since in Boku no Hero they only suppress quirk use, and not general criminal activity).

Quirk (street) crime is that standard though, since almost everyone has some form of quirk, and people who are committing crimes openly are the ones who have a quirk that will let them actually have a chance at getting away with it or fighting other people off.

A neat idea would be to do a "The Greatest Story Never Told" sort of mission. The heroes are battling some fuck huge Monster in the background, while the narrative follows the PC's as they attempt solve a potentially big problem while their supposed to be on "crowd control".

He does you see it in a flashback sequence

That is still the best JLU episode ever made

Where is this from?

Paragons and Prowlers is a really light rule game that's easy to learn and pretty customizable.

its one of the best but ones like "Flash and Substance" and "Task Force X" are pretty top contenders as well.

Bump

Cute

I think you mean, Definitely GURPS.

im still trying to come up with some adventure ideas that can lead to a campaign. the problem is I want to keep it sort of centered around that fact the PC's are students so I don't want to jump straight into straight up superhero plots yet until after a couple of sessions/missions/exams.

Rival classmates, bullying, sporting competitions, etc.

>players need to discuss with the DM on discussing power advancements, and limiters.
That's always been how you're supposed to play M&M.

Froppy is not for lewd, user.
Who the fuck am I kidding?

How's Weaver Dice?

bump

Is she for frogposting?

What sort of point level would you put the stdents at?

Im useing wild talents becuse the system im most comfortable with.

40-100 points is a normal human
I figure since 99% of humans have some sort of power,they fall in the exceptional range at 100-200 range. And someone like allmight would be around 750-800 points
Im thinking of starting them off at around either 250 or 300 to repesent the fact thier the best potential supers while stressing the fact they havent hit thier peak yet thus giveing them potential to get stronger as they learn how to use their powers.

nice digits