/5eg/ D&D Fifth Edition General

Volo's Guide to Monsters in the trove. Be sure to buy it and support the hobby even if you download it!

>Official /5eg/ Mega Trove v3:
mega.nz/#F!BUdBDABK!K8WbWPKh6Qi1vZSm4OI2PQ

>Community DMs Guild trove
>Submit to [email protected], cleaning available!
mega.nz/#F!UA1BhCBS!Oul1nsYh15qJvCWOD2Wo9w

>Pastebin with resources and so on:
pastebin.com/X1TFNxck

>/5eg/ Discord server
discord.gg/0rRMo7j6WJoQmZ1b

>Veeky Forums character sheets
mega.nz/#F!x0UkRDQK!l-iAUnE46Aabih71s-10DQ

Previous thread: "Unearthed Arcana: Barbarian" edition
media.wizards.com/2016/dnd/downloads/UA_Barbarian.pdf

Other urls found in this thread:

youtube.com/watch?v=GR35pRz7JQ8
youtube.com/watch?v=AHOrqpEjF0s
twitter.com/SFWRedditGifs

First for best barbarians.

Nice choice of opening post. I used that image for a viking dragon rider, actually, in one of the other games that I've played.

Someone I know is using it for their Ranger in a Pathfinder campaign.

Anybody got any cool ideas for barbarian character concepts to go with the new subclasses?

It's one of the nicer ones I've seen.

I like Storm and Zealot, Ancestors is okay too.

Fluff ancestor as Jojo? Make your enemy say "This is the power of enemy stand"

>tfw ancestors would've been perfect for my last character

orc zealot with 6 INT and 24 STR/CON, become the mentally-impaired orcish god of anger

Mammoth King Urdon
Goliath Storm Barbarian
King of the Frozen Peak and breaker of men.

I'm running a one-off game for 3-4 new players, and kind of want to use stuff from Volo's.

What's some stuff that 1st-3rd level characters could handle?

ok

Bugbear party

>Path of the zealot
>a meek and meager Dwarven priest who absorbed his twin brother when born, who would've grown to be a powerful warrior
>while praying and asking for inner knowledge to his god, your character accidentally unleashes the warrior spirit of his ne'er born brother
>your character must learn to control the twin spirits raging within him, eventually merging them once more into one person
>kind of just ripping off the nutty professor.

>tfw zealot barbarians are using their primal rage as a source of life, ignoring death until the fight is over

i dislike barbs thematically, but i gotta say shit like that is intense

Mods! Hear my prayer! Ban this sick filth!

Definitely a beholder. Probably a couple fire giants and some Yuanti Anethemas too.

>Scourge Aasimar Zealot Barbarian
>FUCKING DESTROY ALL EVIL

Are Eldritch Knights anything more than Wizards with armor? I'm tempted to roll one for an upcoming campaign

They can force a success on their last death save, but they lose their rage.

They did introduce more new Kobolds, which gives you a lot of variety for a series of quests entirely centered around them. You might even be able to have it lead up to a young Dragon as the final boss.

Guard drakes would also be fitting for such an adventure.

>One off
>Not giving them top level characters

You get access to shield and absorb elements as a fighter.
That's fucking great.

Also eventually you can pick up haste and greater invisibility. Good shit.

yes, they're abjuration wizards with armor and extra attack.

:^)

They're less Wizards with armor and more Fighters with spells. They still get a bunch of skill and attacks with melee weapons, while magic wise they're more restricted with spellslots and schools.

They're mostly Fighters with some utility spells.

Sure you can throw fireballs, but your best options are less damage-oriented.

Still fucking fun, though.

Seems like the optimal way to play as Magina

Storm and Ancestor would def be things I'd play besides Totem if I rolled a Barb.

More art like this plz boss

>giving a group of new players level 20 characters
are you retarded

I don't like ancestor much. Think it's not great. Better than frenzied berserker but that's not saying alot.
If your transfer ability allowed you to keep your own resistance I'd be more on board.

I'm playing a Cajun Life cleric frog-man named Otis in my game. In this world all magic comes from the manipulation of ki, which is inner life energy, and can't be created or destroyed. This means all that energy has to come from somewhere, usually the spirits of ancestors. My dude is going to be very in touch with the dead, coming from a town of predominantly necromancers, where necromancy is seen as more useful and normal than evil. My character is drawn towards the party who have been adventuring for some time (I'm switching characters because the dm wants my old character to disappear for a while than come back as a minor bbeg).

Question is, what can I do or say as a crazy old swamp coot to impress these now hardened adventurers? How can I seem respectful of the dead while not being a bore to listen to?

Yeah, Ancestor is cool, but it feels slightly lacking in a way.

Ancestors:
>Shepard of lost souls; guides the spirits of his foes to holy sites so they can find rest, smites undead every day
or
>A veteran warrior, survivor of many campaigns, who still has his old comrades with him
or just
>the power of my stand

Storm:
>Desert: A scourge aasimar, who was once a man, lost in the desert. He prayed for deliverance, and his cries were answered- But he didn't come back quite the same, for his blood was turned to burning sand.

>Sea: A clever sailor who tricked a Marid, and stole a piece of its storm. The sea-genie may still be out there, seeking vengeance.

>Tundra: A ronin with a tragic backstory who was chased out into the freezing mountains, and learned more pracitcal weeb fightan magic out there.

I like the idea of a veteran warrior, the barbarian rage almost being like an occasionally useful form of PTSD.

Understandable. Fits the aesthetic.

I want to be a player but I don't trust/respect anyone else to DM well enough

Find someone who's decent. The internet is a large place.

Plying online is gay. I'd rather continue to forever dm

eh, dude just rip the bandaid off. get someone to do a one-off. I think DMs need to occasionally play to get perspective and remember what's important to a player.

ite

> Three generals in a row use barbarian as OP pic

do #foreverDMs all have this mentality? that's pretty shitty tbqh

glad i started off as a player

Is there a problem with that, you Roman milkdrinker?

My old Forever DM had this mentality. He was the worst. we had a fucking mutiny and told him he could play with us but he would never sit on the other side of the screen again. This is after he threw away a year long campaign we all tried to enjoy despite his poor story telling and weird power fantasies in a hissy fit cuz we beat the boss too fast.

I started out as a player and I really don't like playing with bad DM's either. Feels bad.

deal with it

no one likes playing with bad DMs, it's why they're bad DMs

this is barbarian country now

So what's a good spread of spells? Should I grab any damage spells, or just go full utility and let my weapons do the damage?

Dungeons and Dragons Barbarian Edition General

>tfw Outlander is your favorite background, closely followed by Entertainer and Charlatan

youtube.com/watch?v=GR35pRz7JQ8

Am I the only one who things bugbears are a more accurate "cat-person" race than tabaxi?
>Ambush predators
>Huge but terribly sneaky
>Lazy, sleep most of the day
>Enjoy toying with their prey when they have spare time/energy
>Boss smaller things around and smack them
>Begrudgingly listen to others when bribed with food and undisturbed rest

why does bugbear have to be such a cute name?

Could be worse. One of their alternate names from folklore is "bugaboo".

that's also adorable

Booming blade and greenflame blade from SCAG are good cantrips.
Shield and absorb elements are your bread and butter first level spells. Find familiar (owl) is your most meta option for giving yourself advantage on an attack every round in combat, but you might also want some other utility spell or a concentration spell like protection from evil and good instead.

One idea I had was a runaway wizard Apprentice that needed locating that was beset by nightmares that were manifesting as Gazers.

Scourge aasimir sea storm barbarian in full rage is probably the most terrifying thing a pack of goblins could see before they die.

Is an archery based valor bard a decent build type?

You get access to shield and absorb elements as a fighter.
That's pretty much it. That's their entire thing.

bugaboo sounds like a slur for bugbears

An unknown member of the local royal court has been trying to summon a demon to do his bidding but has instead accidentally released a plague of those severed head vampire things amongst the nobility and neighboring village.

It's actually a slur for black people

Yes. You steal swift quiver from ranger spell list at level 10. 4 shots every round.

no, that would be jigaboo, which is the reason why bugaboo sounds like the equivalent for bugbears to me

>released a plague of those severed head vampire things
Penanggalan? From the fiend folio? Those guys were some bullshit. I'm guessing they're toned down?

Would it be better to use swift quiver or haste on a barbarian and paladin?

Vargouille

bugaboos is a sandy cliff mountain dunes in the area I grew up in. i wonder if bugbears once lived there

>tfw your chaos rep is a bugaboo half breed

Swift quiver most of the time. Lasts longer and adds more damage. But it would depend on who's getting advantage and whether they're using GWM or you're using sharpshooter.

look for whips buried in the sand

I don't think either of them have GWM, the barbarian dual wields I think and the paladin doesn't have it. I do have sharpshooter.

park rangers might kick my ass but I'll give her a go

Elemental weapon is, imo, a better pick than swift quiver as it applies to both bows and melee weapons.

Just go Zealot, dude. It's more effective and more terrifying.

What would it take to make Bladelocks competitve with the other Pacts?

What about with the other classes?

What could be done to make Bladelock T1, but not horrendously broken?

If you're using sharpshooter swift quiver is gonna be better.
So +8 (2d6+6d4 +20) (42)
vs +3 (4d6+40) (54)
Even if you take the hit % into account, a 25% swing still leaves swift quiver doing more damage.

>RAGE, RAGE AGAINST THE DYING OF THE LIGHT

Actually it's even more skewed than that, since I didn't add in dex damage.
+8 (2d6+6d4+30) = average 52
+3 (4d6+60) = average 74
52*1.25 = 65

>when your kobolds are still dogs

>When you summon a demon on the shitter

Did you account for the spell slot difference? EW as a level 5 spell does another damage die per shot.

lifedrinker invocation now also grants THP equal to the damage dealt
new invocation (requires pact of the blade) allows you to cast shillelagh at will with two modifications: it uses CHA instead of WIS, and can only affect your pact weapon (however, your pact weapon doesn't have to be a club or quarterstaff)

More terrifying that dual auras of searing Divine light bursting from every orifice of your body and a whirling storm of lightning crackling in the air and you charge charge at them howling and brandishing a great axe?

Actually it's even *more* skewed, since for some reason I was having a 25% discrepency in hit ratios instead of the real 15% that comes from the +3 from 5th level spell slot elemental weapon.
52*1.15 = 59.8
59.8/74 = 81%
So swift quiver is roughly 20% better than elemental weapon for raw damage output if you're using sharpshooter.
Yes - I'm using highest level elemental weapon spellslot.

short answer: multi-attack for free, replace 5th level invocation with some sort of health recovery or survivability.

long answer: currently bladelocks aren't meant to be played in melee 100%, and i don't think that's ever meant to change. the pact itself needs to be reworked in order to offer that. after all, it is a warlock archetype; you don't go into EK thinking that you'll be casting spells for the majority of your adventuring career.

Let lifedrinker be a level 6 or 7 invocation, there's little reason for it to be as high as it is. If tome and chainlocks get to effectively make ranged longsword attacks as they please, bladelocks should be rewarded with more melee damage IMO.

A Zealot Barbarian's 14th level "never die" thing is still constrained by the fact that rages only ever last for a minute, and that the Persistent Rage feature just stops it from ending early, it doesn't actually give you more rage time.

i assume it was for parity between other similar class features, which would make level 6 way too low. cleric divine strike is level 8, paladin's improved smite is at 11.

Does Bane really have such a big effect that Warlocks had to be limited to one casting per long rest?

no, that invocation is shit.

>Bane
>big effect
No, not really. It wouldn't hurt anyone if you took that invocation away from warlocks.

Bane should already be on the Warlock spell list by default, the fact that it isn't and that this invocation exists instead is fucked up.

Capstone gives you endless rage uses though.

On an unrelated note, the autism man who patrols these threads is treading thin ground.
Which must suck for such a rotund figure.
youtube.com/watch?v=AHOrqpEjF0s

Is there a race based on woodwoses/wild men somewhere?
I think it might make a good addition to a primitive setting as Frazetta Men (if NPC) or Enkidu (if PC)

> Wouldn't hurt anyone
Actually, it would be extremely painful.