Character secrets thread

Character secrets thread.

What is your current character's deepest darkest secret?
Come on, everyone has at least one so let's hear it.

My party ran into the old "share a true secret to pay for travel" thing.
My Tiefling barbarian's secret was that he is seriously considering making a deal with a demon, despite his race's bad history with demons. The reason he's seriously considering it is he feels strength alone is not going to be enough to deal with what has now become apparent is a shadow organization aiming to overthrow the ruling council.

Those fireball amulets I made for the party double as remote explosive collars.

My soldier-turned-spy has:
"When I shot my partner in the back of the head, I finally felt the thrill of the kill come back to me. And want more of it."

Fucking christ dude

Feast your eyes on this absolute train wreck:
>Party fighter
>Playing as an edgy lone wolf
>Still the party's wall
>Avoid speaking as much as possible
Woman disguised as man in drag after Mulan-ing her way to desertion and working with the party to eventually eliminate her former boss. Also gestalt class into Oracle, basically party's emergency healer when shit hits the fan, also secretly a Samsaran, hiding as a elf in full plate because outsider races are frowned upon... Been a couple months and nobody suspects a thing. GM is totally in on it too.

He gets a stiffy when he sees underage elf girls. Everyone else thinks he's celibate because that's the only thing that gives him stiffies.

Last character I played was an elf from a society that was super into accomplishment and meritocracy. To the point where children were born in batches at a specified time would then be taken at birth and not allowed to know their parents, due to the belief that this would start everyone out on equal footing and their accomplishments would be their own, rather than inherited by family name or bloodline.

Needless to say, despite the "excellence" this supposedly created, and the way it combated the "corruption" of lesser societies (Human kings inheriting the throne with no actual ruling experience, simply because they were son of the last king), it was a somewhat cold and regimented society that spawned a number of dissidents and self-exiled outcasts.

My character was one of these outcasts. Despite having earned her way into a prestigious position within her clan as an alchemist and healer. For most of the game, I kinda just let the players make their own assumptions about why my character left, and had her be vague and dodgy about it, citing those examples but never actually confirming they applied to HER.

In this achievement-based society, it was considered a "mercy" to euthanize any infants born with birth defects, as they would never be able to compete.

It was the job of the clan alchemists to administer this euthanasia.

My LG monk is actually LE. He's normally quiet and peaceful, and I spend my downtime performing my duties as a travelling healer.

And after talking it over with my GM, that's code for 'fulfilling my order's tenets by performing mercy killings for the sick and dying'

It might eventually bite me in the ass, but oh well.

My 5E Human Rogue's deepest secret would be that she has a hidden-away child with a guy she is closely related to.
It was one of the reasons she left her small village. It was pretty much a case of "stay and become a social pariah, or get the hell out of dodge and try to make enough money to be able to take care of her kid in another town where no one knows her".

The kid is currently staying with the father and has been explained away as a orphaned relative with no other place to go.

He eats raw meat not because he likes 'em blue, but because he is a mutant that can't eat anything else.

My Cleric of St Cuthbert is taking to her grave the location of the Sword of Kas. That little fuck is more trouble than he's worth.

Also, my Dark Heresy Psyker entered the group using a false name, so that he could bug out if forced to betray them. He got so attached to them, he decided to get his name legally changed on the quiet to his cover identity.

Elder brother was afflicted by the neiglish rot (nurgle's rot), and so was begged into mercy-killing him.

He's the only one that knows.

She is a cleric, not a druid.

Edgy. Hey, do have any regrets? You know, in general?

Beep- BLAM

My LG skeleton fist fighter actually enjoys killing and puts up a jovial front to keep the party from getting too nervous with him.

"This isn't what I wanted but it's what I asked for, my needs over all my morals."

Edge

BloodEdge

Snowflakey, but potentially interesting roleplay.

Magical Realm/What the fuck is wrong with you.

Interesting from a psychological/character development point of view. Nice additional context too. Very good backstory stuff.

Not sure if that qualifies as "evil" or just a weird "green and orange morality" thing.

Also a good one for roleplaying potential.

Wat

My LG Cleric was actually a NE Monk with one level in Cleric.
Somehow, nobody saw through my ruse both in and out of character.

She's actually an amnesiac and suspects the BBEG had something to do with her memory loss and her meeting up with the party.
It's so bad that her name isn't her actual name, it's the first name she thought up, so she hopes it IS her name and that she's remembered it correctly.

>have any regrets
Plenty

Yeah, I-... yeah...

>Wat

Dark Heresy character. Got a major mutation on chargen that gives me slow regeneration, but I need to eat mounds of raw meat or die from starvation.

That's something you don't want anyone to know, especially when you are a priest.

They don't exist.

My heir is actually not my own son but adopted, and my actual firstborn son has been hidden away to be fostered by somebody else with no knowledge of who his real family is.

I'm sure this will go exactly as planned and not come back to bite me at all.

My witch's magical familiar wasn't sent by any patron or otherworldly force, nor is it even a real animal. Instead it's actually a manifestation of her subconscious given form by her inherent magical abilities. As a manifestation of her subconscious, it has no filter on what it says, and the party thinks it's a little shit, but they've already tried killing it twice and it keeps coming back~

The character herself is completely unaware of any of this.

Partially based on pic-related, but without the sinister twist.

My navigator in Rogue Trader had the "un-man" background, which I fluffed as her being the result of her house's experiments in limiting the mutations navigators undergo. Her genetic code had been tampered with, which is a very big no-no among the navigator houses, and probably counted as tech-heresy. While it did give her some advantages (you get some useful traits with the background), the experiment failed to prevent mutations, so her house ended up comitting tech-heresy for nothing. Understandably she was very keen on not letting anybody know about it.

Part of the GM's setting is that warriors are expected to feel the "thrill" and those who don't are considered lesser. My guy was one of the warrior class folk, but when he started losing the thrill he left to do spy work. Then, he uncovered evidence that his partner was double-crossing him and blew a hole in his skull. He finally felt the thrill again after all these years and he wants it back.

I am a gestapo officer in an alternative '70 world where nazi won and zombie apocalypse happened.

I am also a war desertor

He acts suspicious and shifty to get attention.
Beneath his skeevy appearance, he's actually pretty mild and boring.

>As a manifestation of her subconscious, it has no filter on what it says, and the party thinks it's a little shit...

10/10 trolling potential while being completely in-character. Will steal next time I play a character with a familiar.

He's an Ex-hitman (the party has more or less gathered this) and isn't even Russian (but they have no idea about this one).

My character wears bandages all over their body to hide the fact that she's female.

She hides the fact that she's female, because the party will eventually find this out, and they won't dig deeper to discover she's a face changing shapeshifter.

My human fighter's deepest secret is that he raped his childhood sweetheart when he came home after his army unit got disbanded.

He joined the army to prove to her that he was a strong guy that could take care of her and when he comes back he sees her walking hand in hand with the scrawny apprentice scribe and kiss him.
That caused something in my character to snap, as he had endured all the death and terror of war to prove himself to her. He lures her out in a field to their old hangout spot and rapes her. After that he grabs his old gear and heads out to join the first mercenary band he comes across.

He feels really horrible and guilty about it now that he's had time to think and feels like he can't face her again after what happened, even just to ask for forgiveness.

She doesn't actually keep many secrets. Biggest one us probably the stack of platinum bars she hides under her bed.

A baby-killer and a rapist... you guys are dark.

But I like it because neither one is try-hard edgy.

He isn't actually from a Latin country, he was born in New Hampshire to immigrant parents, but he would never admit that

My fighter is so near-sighted he's almost blind. He tells the rest of the group that he doesn't use bows or thrown weapons because they're dishonorable when really, he just can't fucking see what he's trying to hit.

Playing nWoD Changeling. My character gave up her unborn child in order to stop the torture of her Keeper.

Now that she's back, she sees that her fetch (a duplicate left by the fae so that humans don't suspect anything) has engaged her bf and is pregnant.

My character is already quite low on the morality scale so to speak, so she plans to wait when the child is born and kill the fetch and take her place. Might even go for the fucked up "carve the child out of her womb" scenario

Now that's interesting, how do you even hide that?

He calls himself a Communist but he doesn't really know much of anything about Communism. He just likes all the cool red flags and Soviet imagery.

that's bretty good, like a matryoshka

>What is your current character's deepest darkest secret?
He's the runaway of family of weapons dealers, who briefly turned him into a Drider.

Oh. And his canesword is possessed by a Dragon Lich. He hasn't told a single member of the party, because while he IS a lich, said lich DID save his soul from being eaten. And he's on a redemption kick, blame the party for being so damn noble around his CN ass.

so he's the average american college student?

He cares about the party rogue a great deal, but she doesn't feel the same way. So he doesn't talk about it, bottles it up and avoids being alone with her for fear of screwing up and letting it out.

He resents the bard. This is made all the more awkward by the fact that the bard is a good guy, he just has a habit of making him uncomfortable and jealous at the same time. Sometimes he wishes the bard would betray the party in some spectacularly dickish fashion so he could feel justified for not liking him.

The wizard represents almost everything he hates in his fellow man. He's indirect, dishonest, cowardly and values money far more than he does the accomplishments that earn that money. But every time they're in downtime the wizard makes this weird by being friendly towards him.

The witch is a harlot and the only things that bothers him more than her reckless use of her body for pointless hedonism is her inability to make a decision on her own. He'd almost see her as alright, but she'd need to keep her clothes on for a while and grow a spine for that to be the case.

He's not even sure why he does this anymore. He could join a bigger company and make money doing safer work, he could settle down and find some entirely non-violent way to make a living. Instead, he hangs out with a bunch of people who make him unhappy and uncomfortable risking his life for rewards that might not even be there.

Correct, except he loves guns, is from London, and has never stepped foot in an academic institution. I probably should have mentioned he was an Ork Street Samurai in a Shadowrun 4e game.

She wants to fuck her daughter

He actually enjoys his life as a sellsword, and knows he couldn't hack it in the real world. He also has a serious case of survivors guilt about the mercenary company he once worked for, but that's slightly more obvious.

5e human fighter, for reference.

She's fucked the rapscallion pilot and actually loves him in a way.

My character is a female Barbarian. She is something of a stereotype. She is surly, coarse, spends all her coin on drink, is a shameless muff diver and prone to excessive violence. She was abandoned on the door step of an ancient order of monster hunters. Whilst she is very good at what she does, the order wants nothing to do with her. She wanders from job to job, getting into trouble but always managing to find her way out to the other side, usually with a few coins for her troubles.

She is actually a demigod. Her mother is the goddess of war, fire and retribution. Her father was a thief who tried to steal her mothers sword and ended up seducing a goddess who wasn't accustomed to flattery and foreplay. Every year, on her birthday, her mother comes down to the mortal plane to crawl out of a blacksmithing forge or blood soaked battle ground to see how her daughter is getting on.

he's a self-insert

Pls, OP said "secrets".

My current character is a sorcerer that specializes in storm magic. He claims to be an urchin and man of the people but his biggest secret is that his mother is a duchess and she has people searching for him to bring him home and become an heir to her name complete with a noble wife. He doesn't want to come home because he wants to hone his craft.

My character has survivors guilt after his clan disappeared and he was ordered to stay behind. He felt like he should have died with his friends and family, and resents being left behind to remember them. This is why he adventures. He says he's looking for them, knowing they're still alive, but he knows that they're dead and he's just trying to join them.

He ran, or at least helped run, a Nazi Death camp.
No, seriously.

He was the SS's attempt to create the ultimate assassin, and for the time, he met their expectations. Once the war was at an end, he was thrown in stasis and disposed of, only be to found by a Saeder-Krupp surveying team.

Now running alongside the rest of the team, he has realized how much has changed, and is wary of the past.

>wary of the past
As in, he's having a Coming to Damascus moment about having been a Nazi?

GM in current game asked us each to come up with a secret that onky he would know for the time being.

Game is a multiverse setting, party is made up of people who've been sent out by mysterious benefactors with the tools to jump between worlds to try and solve the issue of 'the worlds are colliding and will destroy us all'.

I joined part-way so it was determined I was from a different verse compared to the party, same mission.

My secret: All Humans in my reality were killed in a long race war, that was 100 years prior to now.

When you travel to a new world your physical form is altered to conform to the local reality (Don't ask me, GMs idea).

What this means is that the party still doesn't know I'm a bear.

I'm GMing but the party adopted an NPC so I figure that counts. He's an awkward bookish pyromancer who is actually working for a group of vigilantes sworn to eradicate evil in all forms, no matter the cost. Think paladins but willing to lie, cheat, extort, and murder anyone and everyone that gets in their way. Sort of a 'Good but not Nice' kind of deal. Given the party is as close to Lawful Good as it gets, he's keeping his allegiances secret for now. He doesn't plan on screwing the party over, more like he's keeping an eye on them and making sure they don't go against his organization's best interests.

My character wishes she stayed home.

Because her current group is the epitome of murderhobos, they're now wanted in 4 different countries, evil and good forces are chasing them, and leaving apparently means certain death.

she'll never find a place she'll be accepted at this rate.

>What this means is that the party still doesn't know I'm a bear
10/10, you got me good there

Yeah.
He's a fun character to play, mostly because I have have this ultra-nationalistic mindset, yet everything he sees points to his once proud views as clearly the wrong course.

One great moment was when we infiltrated a mega warehouse protected by Stoddard. Nazibot was in charge of interrogation.
He ended up lecturing the captive guard on civility and how badly he impersonates a true Nazi.

He doesn't want to be a part of this shitty game any more.

Sounds like they're Bad Company

Be honest user, are you an ex soldier who was KEKED while on tour?

So you're Sir Bearington turned up to 11. Nice.

that goblin is cute

PTSD (although not named as such because medieval fantasy stasis)

My char has nightmares about the people he's killed and the battles he was a part of when in the army. I roll a d20 for every night and on a 1-2 i have to take a willpower test or be fatigued the next morning.

Before willingly entering a fight i have to take a willpower test (usually not difficult and ambushes don't count as "survival instinct and training takes over unconsciously")

It helps I have high willpower (Gunslinger so WIS is high) so the party hasn't figured it out yet. It also helps that I have low CHA and basically play my char as a stone-faced grizzled old veteran who doesn't say much.

It's actually a lot of fun to roleplay as.

He knows that the half elf wizard the party thinks is girly man is actually just a girl. But he's only about half aware that it's a secret in the first place and just sort of goes along with it thinking they all know but don't bring it up. He's real secret is that he has a crush on her.
He also doesn't realise that the party thinks he's a very butch lesbian.

So not only does the rest of the party know the wizard is female, but they also think your character is a woman as well?

Despite being an almost LG law-abiding citizen that prefers non-lethal means to solving conflicts, he's actually a simmering anarchist that's hoping for negotiations to finally break down for once so he can take a fight seriously.

This also means that ever since the party leader went behind everyone's backs and fucked up an already unsalvageably-trashed library "because knowledge like that can be dangerous", my character has been hoping for a moment to stab him in the back for being such a self-righteous douchebag that thinks he can give orders like we're his squadron of guards.

They think the wizard is male. When introduced during the first season we rolled perception to see if she passed as a guy, and despite it being a low check that we expected everyone to make I was the only one who did. When all the others started greeting "him" as male ("Welcome young man," etc.) my character was confused but assumed they knew "he" was a girl but didn't say so for some reason. My character is a barbarian who I mentioned was wearing a shirt in the description, and someone made a joke that the only explanation for a barb to cover their chest is if they're a woman. It's a fairly lighthearted campaign so we rolled with it.

My character's secret is that he wants to marry one of the PC.

>Public perception is that the female barbarian is crushing on the male wizard
>It's the other way around
Unbelievable.

Nah but one of my friends were. Though he didn't snap as badly. He just dropped the bitch and drowned his sorrows in booze for a week

DM here. My favorite PC/Enemy is an insane, weak, rude, incredibly arrogant old madman who thinks he's a classic dastardly villain, a sort of eldritch god with dark powers, and a famous celebrity all at once. Of course, he's really just a weak old fool, but he doesn't know or won't admit it. He thinks he's the best at everything, loves cackling and twirling his moustache, and speaks in third person with lots of abbreviation.

Before he went insane due to an actual eldritch god, his wife, along with the rest of their village, was killed by a Lich's undead brigade while he was away buying books for the library they kept. This brought him to rampant alcoholism, which soon led him to join the eldritch old god's cult during an incredibly drunken state. It was only in recent months did he escape. A mix of guilt and regret from his wife's death and the eldritch god's influence turned him into the madman he is today. He also grew to like the party, though he often claims to dislike and be far superior to everyone. Worst of all, he used to wear glasses. He desperately hides all of this from the players

Also the wife is going to be a sub-boss when they fight that particular Lich, because she was an hunter and trapper in life. He will be present.

My character is a private investigator who's on a case. He's alluded to having a shitty past before getting that detective job.

The reason? He was a fairly high-class prostitute between the ages of 13 and 18, which is how he got most of his underground contacts. It was definitely better than starving to death, but it gave him real problems with sweet-talking people or showing respect to nobles.

He calls everyone "bro" or "my friend," even if they are not his bro or his friend.

My character is secretly a transman?

I'm currently writing a book for Veeky Forums, to distribute for free on the 1d4chan wiki.

There are two deuteragonists, and each has a secret.

Male lead: He knows the circumstances of his death have been written in fate, and he can't escape it.

Female lead: She's a prototype High Succubus who survived rejection by Asmodeus, and she has eternal youth that only a god can detect.

They don't even know out of character, and it means that all my in-character knowledge of Humans is based off 100+ year old documents.

>tfw no pure love in my campaigns

This is the most Tumblr anything I've ever read, but at least you're honest about it.

Less of a "character" secret, more of a "party" secret.
>My druid accidentally summoned a Succubus
>While he was level 2

>classic origin story of mythological heroes, coupled with a female barbarian
>tumblr
????????????????

Despite being a depressed, amoral loner, all he really wants is to see his family again.

this is a good character

He saw female first, the rest of the post didn't matter.
Ignore him, user, there are a lot of stupid people on Veeky Forums, especially these days.
>fa/tg/uys scream about how normies will ruin their hobby
>Veeky Forums is actually being ruined by other kinds of nerds who are ignorant to the panoply of Veeky Forums interests, rather than "normies"

Fledgeling DM here: My favorite character within the setting is one of the deities, specifically the New God of Death. He hardly ever communes with his worshippers or attends divine court, in fact the little known about him is gleaned from scraps of text that have been determined to come from another time or dimension.

In truth, he is merely a fragment of a mortal who ascended long ago. He also hates deities, himself most of all. The reason for this is that he's a PC from the last campaign, whose entire family was killed for a minor transgression against their god. His dying brother made him promise to end all divine power.

He became a lich to extend his lifespan, but regrets it and his ascension as he feels that he's lost all his humanity. He believes that his only choice is to destroy everything and start over so he can finally fulfill his promise.

Stretching the definition of current, but I've got a chaos space marine who bears no outward indications of his origins, nor does he speak of them. Generally stoic, the only time he seems to truly enjoy anything is when ordering khornates to charge.

He is a pre-heresy World Eater that utterly despises what the Nails did to his once-proud legion. Managed to not get a set of Nails himself because [muffled words]. Why does he like berserker charges? Because he gets to watch the frothing retards die.

A travelling ranger with a talent for cooking and nature magiks joins a rag-tag group of adventurers.
He cooks what he kills and serves it to the party.
They haven't questioned where the food comes from for a while now. The latest dish was the human bandits we cleared out

> Yes DO IT

Half-Elf Sorcerer with an emphasis on Enchantment/Illusion magic.

His secret is he's a prince who fled his homeland after killing his love interest's brother.

That campaign never went anywhere, which is okay, the campaign within itself was pretty meh.

He's Kilroy

Fyodor, paladin of Reikland, left his young daughter to fend for herself after his wife died from an epidemic, carrying out her holy symbol for his use.

My character was considering betraying the party and absconding with a valuable book, to use as a bargaining chip with the fantasy mafia. After some rough encounters after deciding against that course of action, he is now very seriously considering his previous stance again.

My elderly Wizard is slowly drifting away from other people. His Dread Familiar is managing to convince him to abandon ethical constraints and pursue darker lines of inquiry and knowledge. He feels the years weighing heavily on his soul and body, knowing that he hasn't got much time left. Before he came to Ravenloft, he was okay with that, but since he arrived he's beginning to think that the Demiplane of Dread might not release his soul, even in death.

The idea of being trapped there for eternity is crushing to him. He's beginning to consider alternatives to dying, all the while helping others to spearhead adventuring efforts and expeditions throughout the Core.

>TFW this is the dark secret of half the characters I've played the past year.

"Soon the bounty for those suckers will be high enough for retirement"
And GM is aware of this plan

Hobgoblin Warlord that participated in the Cleansing Wars and was cursed with immortality. He gained control over his battalion as time went on but made a mistake that ended in his battalion's suicide-by-Tucker's Kobolds. He now wanders Athas as a haunted nomad.

His soaps are made out of elves. He is about as evil as the stereotypes he fights so hard.

Does... Does this mean you make Human Lore checks?

I love threads like these, but I can't even post mine because my fellow players linked me to this thread and are reading it.

well, this is more "canon secrets"

my protagonist has a magical field around him that causes everyone to want to eat his shit
because of a magic ring he wore one time
most of the kings of the races [fairies(all of them), the human god king, the dwarf kingafter he escapes from reality during the reset of time are all omniscient, and none of them are really sure whos actually thinking.the answer is me, or possibly cthulhu who can see through the aether

also, the writer accidently realised he put screens in every room of the godkings castle, which contains all possible souls of manking both fictional and real(akashic records), as well as tons of other realities via that connection, and so goes bty the name "link" and can blink rapidly enough to give (infinitypeople/aspectconsidered=infinity) people seizures.

AMA, i have conquered all space and time with the power of the screen

He says that the stench of death follows him everywhere he goes after a lover scorned cursed him.

In reality, he is incredibly flatulent.