Warcraft Lore and RPG Discussion

>Darkspear Never Die Edition

Discuss the lore and viability of Warcraft as a tabletop setting.

Previous thread:

Other urls found in this thread:

youtube.com/watch?v=fXyteeG9gXY
youtube.com/watch?v=h4ru8ynKez0
twitter.com/SFWRedditVideos

Trolls are neat.

Darkspear really need to get some love. Or at least some more lore characters. Rokhan is about the only one they've got left.

>tfw no fel Zandalari in 7.2
>tfw afterwards we go to Argus
>tfw 5.2 is the last troll patch we'll ever get

Just you wait. They'll find some way to ahoehorn trolls in. Trolls in space? It's more likely than you think (well, they had to have come to Azeroth from somewhere).

>get to Argus
>the Apexis are part of the Army of the Light
>turns out they're feathered trolls
>the universe is just trolls all the way down

>viability of Warcraft as a tabletop setting.
Extremely viable. You could easily take something like D&D 4E as a base and create a Warcraft game, or just use one of the official ones.

>Titans are actually just mutated Trolls

Be glad Trolls get as much focus as they get.
Gnome, Dorf, Tauren, Goblin Patch literally never. Pandas will also never, ever again get any attention. Space Goats might get something on Argus, but probably won't.

Make all into raid mobs. Done.

I'd fucking welcome a "The Dark Iron Rebellion" patch, with Moira pulling some coup on the council and overturning the dwarf society, turning Dun Morogh into a warzone for a patch or so, culminating in a Raid on Iron Forge.

>Space Goats

I'll welcome anything Draenei related. They're one of my favorite races.

You know what I'd be simultaneously delighted and surprised to see there being any lore about?

Racial dances.

Although, considering Pandaren have literal meme dances and the references for Human and BElf dances are ancient by comparison, I doubt there is.

At Blizzcon Afrasiabi more or less admitted Vol'jin isn't done. Whether that means he'll be a ghost or whether his death was faked, we don't know. But we do know he's coming back in one form or another.

I yearn for the day we get more Gob and Gnome content, especially if it's not all jokes and explosions.

Plus, we need to update that Gallywix model, for Light's sake.

Will Zul die in a troll expac or die in a patch I wonder. I really REALLY want a troll expac to expand on the Zandalari island. Just imagine the neato cinematic of Zul all hulked out in royal troll raiments followed by six troll priestesses carrying his cloak while the Rise of the Zandalari theme echos in the background.

what are the panda dances?
and make the best waifus.

Males have Party Rock Anthem and females have Caramelldansen.

No, I'm serious.

Party Rock is terrible but I'll be damned if Caramelldansen doesn't fit.

As opposed to tauren that do a dance unironically called 'It's peanut butter jelly time' that hasn't been seen since the mid 2000s? I know people dislike pandaren, but of all the things wrong with them, dancing isn't one exclusive to them even a little bit.

WoW's racial dances have always been shitty pop culture references in the majority.

And how long has it been since anyone even heard "You Should Be Dancing?"

To be fair those dances were selected in 2004, so it makes sense most of them would be dated as hell.

Zen'tabra?

She's pretty big important druid. Or maybe just the only known troll druid....

It's still pretty regularly on greatest hits radio, actually. Don't try to be clever user.

I know, but that's the point I'm making. The panda shit is about as bad a choice for the same reasons.

That's like if the only leader the Tauren had was Hamuul. It's kinda weird if they're already associate with the Cenarion circle.

there's Zen'kiki too

someone at Blizzcon mentioned that after patch 7.2, high level characters might "not be on Azeroth for a long time", that's Zul's time

Yeah, they're not gonna make the Class Hall characters racial leaders.

for now.

It'd just be weird to go to your class hall and have these guys acting as your lackeys only to head to a capital city and have them as the leader.

>implying you won't become the faction leader.

Only if I get to dictate how my faction acts.

I don't think it would be too strange. To quote Uther:
"You may be the prince, but I'm still your superior as a paladin."

>good day sir warchief/high king
>to fuel our counter-offensive against the legion we need you to kill 8 demon bears and loot their genitals
>can't you just send bunch of grunts/footmen to do it, i'm the warchief/high king not your errant boy
>no can do,sir. it has to be you, otherwise it won't count

>"War Chief we need you to go and get twenty gallons of Demon Blood."
>"Why the hell do we need that?"
>"To fuel the giant blood bomb we'll use to blow up Teldrassil and melt the Night Elves."
>"No, that's a horrible idea"
>"You won't be able to enter the next raid dungeon unless you finish this quest chain."
>"Damn it, you said twenty right?"

>Warchief, I dropped my keys to my Shredder and one of my dire wolves ate it. I need to you to sift through their faeces to find it.
>No. I'm drawing the line here. I am not doing that. Do it yourself.
>No can do Warchief, it NEEDS to be you. Only you are great enough to sift through faeces. Also don't kill them: I know they've already had it pass through them, but I don't know which one it passed through. But it's definitely gone through.
>No.
>Guess you're not getting into the next raid then.
>This is stupid.
>Also, I don't know which one ate it, and I have 50 of them. Good luck!

>At long last the War Chief of the Horde and the High King of the Alliance meet on the field of battle.
>Both are covered in blood and shit and have the genitals of over thirty different species of animals in their inventory.
>Also both are Pandas.

>Peace is achieved over tea
>War erupts once again because both parties aggressively negotiate, too quickly and refuse to "Slow down"

Bpth get corrupted, lead a splinter faction of only Pandas known as the True Azeroth, Arthas and Garrosh come back as the respective saviours of their faction, leading a united rebellion against the Pandas, bringing back the status quo and being the new messianic figures
War erupts once again

no
you get 2 mounts. One of which is a reskin and the other one is on the cash shop.

when will Genn make Gilneas great again

Alright, Veeky Forums, time for the most important troll question: tusks on the bottom or tusks on the top?

I've always preferred tusks on the top, myself. I think it helps to further differentiate trolls from orcs.

Also, girl trolls need to look more trollish. If I wanted to schlick to night elves, I'd schlick to night elves.

tusks grow out of the top of their mouth. You can see it really clearly with troll druid animal forms

Doesn't stop people from drawing them as skinny blue orcs.

I'm fine with both, but if you have lower tusks then they ought to be bigger.

In-game models show Trolls can grow tusks from either jaw. But personally I prefer them coming from the upper jaw.

Or night elves with fangs, I see that a lot too.

Night elves already have fangs, though.

Yeah, it's usually the canary and contract artists who don't draw them with fangs.

Hell, a lot draw the shorter and less muscular than humans when a 'short' female night elf is still more than 6 feet and built like crossing model.

>canary
Fucking autocorrect. Ment fanart.

Also, crossing instead of CrossFit

Yeah, fucking phone.

It's hard to disagree with quads, dude. Still, I prefer trolls without tusks. They were a forced mutation in Warcraft 2 through alchemy and sorcery and basically reserved for berserks.

>Jungle Troll
>Has visible fur
Fucking FINALLY somebody paid notice to this detail! Also fucking hot, man.
>Blue orcs
When you really, REALLY, think about it, Trolls have been the orcish menace before the orcish menace came from Draenor. They were/are a tribal coallition of martially focused people waiting at the edge of civilisation to strike, but unable to truly muster the force and administration to be a threat.

>Night Elves with fangs
Literally the best thing about Warcraft elves in general.

>unable to truly muster the force and administration to be a threat.
What are Troll Wars then?

Okay I forgot about those.

A slaughter from which the Amani have never truly recovered.

Trol'Kalar, Strom'Kar, and Felo'Melorn say hi.

Its like the zulu "wars"
They got beat down by night elves in beachwear.

>Fucking FINALLY somebody paid notice to this detail! Also fucking hot, man.
I prefer jungle and forest trolls to have very short fur, almost a velveteen texture.

Ice trolls should rock some shag, though.

Only the combined forces of humans and elves were able to stop them.

>bunch of mudhut dwelling meatshields and junkies rek the trolls.
So...This is the power of the loa.
Whoa

And that was still better than what Zandalari have managed to achieve.

the zandalari were just planning to do something big and then they got killed by murderhobos.

I want trolls to look downright savage. Feral crouch as their default stance, fur and manes, big fuckoff tusks.

Like a cross between a Neanderthal and a razorback.

That makes me moist

The fact that we're getting our big war on the Legion and not getting a zone or patch with a Gnomes vs. Goblins vs. Mo'arg storyline is the great tragedy of Legion.

Females should look like that as well.

Concur.

We need a patch like Mean Streets of Gadgetzan

Basically on Hearthstone version of lore Gadgetzon became a major port after the cataclysm.
And since all goblin cities are shady as fuck it's split between 3 crime families:
Grimy Goons aka Horde Italian mafia, Jade Lotus aka Pandaren Yakuza and Kabal aka mana junkies of various races
You could also give pirates some screentime, since they are always nearby,maybe even include some lost Zandalari

Damn straight.

I'm having a blast not dealing with either the Horde or Alliance. Fuck factions.

So, the Arcan'dor is fully grown and bearing fruit thanks to my efforts, why can't I just grab some fruit, and try to find and restore Runas?

Because it's too late.

May as well throw it in the "never ever" pile because blizzard can't even fill their zone-sized city of Suramar with that much content, and the map of new Gadgetzan isn't even half that size. It would be neat as hell to have a bunch of different factions that are mutually exclusive and do a bunch of shady shit. I don't know how they'd make that mesh with the player's reputation of being a world renowned savior of azeroth though.

I hope they do a Cata 2.0 xpac after Legion is over. There's a lot of areas that need revamping, and a lot of races and lore that need attention.

I hope they do WoW 2 after Legion is over.

youtube.com/watch?v=fXyteeG9gXY

Where was this song during WotLK?

because it only produces one fruit every daily reset because of reasons

I'd give anything for the Dwarves to get the kind of focus the Trolls gets.

Take every named Dwarf in Azeroth and stick 'em in a raid, so we can kill them because lolsoevil.

Yeah but you don't find new Dwarf tribes every time you look under a rock.

no,we find dwarf ancestors and vrykul every time we look under a titan rock.

Yeah but those aren't proper dwarves. And Vrykul are proto-humans anyway.

>there's a tribe of Furbolg that work closely with NElves

So why couldn't the Alliance get Furbolgs from there and the Horde get Pandas due to Chen? Why the Tsushi/Huojin split where they forget their own native tongues and can't talk to each other?

The point is that somebody paid enough attention to actually make it look like Trolls have some fur, in the first place.

All other artwork I've seen of them so far, both official and fanmade, has never indicated any actual fur in any form.

Also Forest Trolls have moss growing on them. Does that mean Trolls are mutated sloths?

I hope they throw WoW out the window after Legion and go into Warcraft 4.

I think there will be at least one more expansion before WoW ends. It'd be nice to have a strategy game come out for it though.

>ancient prophecy is discovered
>Arthas is the only one who can stop the Legion
>Jaina has to use mysterious magic artifact to de-Scourge him

>1st xpack
>2 missions in and arthas is undead again except that now he is good because of reasons

>Finishes with him and Jainia blasting off into space.

Make it TFT Arthas and retcon away his WotLk version as freezer burn. Ner'zhul's curse wore off but he's still a damned, if lively, man.

Where exactly does Sylvanas go when she dies? It seems like there's several different places souls in WC can go after death so it seems weird she's damned to some sort of Hell with no hope of escape.

Superhell for the cunts of the highest grade.

undead, people who get corrupted by the Old Gods, and people who the narrative hates go to super hell when they die. It's basically complete nothingness, except there are also Lovecraftian abominations lurking just out of sight to constantly torment you

basically the Rift of Aln except not awful because we've never seen it in game

You could always start the xpac by explaining the PC is being blackmailed in some way into working with the Gadgetzan crews, or maybe something like the PC is accused of something they didn't do and thus falls from grace, and decides to try and use the Gadgetzan crews' connections to find out who screwed them over, and that implies doing jobs for them.

In either case, it could even be done in a more comedic fashion, which could work well given the xpac's theme.

That's kind of weird. Any idea what it's actually called or where it exists metaphysically? I mean we are able to attack Vyrkul Hell so you'd think we could go to Superhell or wherever.

Wouldn't that be the Void? The realm inhabited by the Void Lords, a neverending maddening emptiness?

Blizzard writing has issues when it comes to its metaphysical realms.

On one side, they're going out of their way to write whole essays on how magic works and the various magical planes and lay out their mechanics, and then they try to shit out new planes whose exact technicalities are vague. It gives off contradicting signals on what kind of vibe they want to give off.

death knight champions go to superhell to farm mounts and gank villain's souls for powerups

>War of the Ancients : Sargeras ruins it by doing his scheme with the Highborne when Archimonde is smashing around
>Third War: Kil'jaeden ruins it by using a man whose life he ruined as a zombie controller who orders his Death Knight to tell Illidan to eat Gul'dan's skull with Illidindu killing Tichondrius which of course gets a defeat for the Lich King

Looks like Archimonde is the only Legion Lord who can actually conquer.

Kil'jaeden also ruined the AU invasion of Draenor by spending too much time fucking with the draenei instead of working with Gul'dan to array their forces

well it got him killed twice

Archimonde gets his ass beat every time too though, so I dunno if he's exactly winning here.

>War of the Ancients: Gets beaten back through a portal by Malfurion and Co.
Third War: Gets blown up by Malfurion
Burning Crusade: Gets knocked around by a bunch of time travelers and then gets blown up by Malfurion.
Warlords of Draenor: Gets beaten up by the same group of time travelers again, who are now strong enough they blow him up without Malfurion.

youtube.com/watch?v=h4ru8ynKez0

Honestly doesn't always bother me that much, makes it seem less silly when they're portrayed as dumb whiny bimbos who job to everyone and their moms.

Generally speaking, in WoW, the taller you are, the more liable you are to be someone's punching bag. Dranei, nelves, trolls, vrykul, and to a lesser extend, even tauren and ogres. Gnomes and Goblins to a dgree, having both lost their homes, but generally portrayed as competent and the loss of their home being a catastrophic event like radiation leak or the island fucking exploding.