/5eg/ D&D Fifth Edition General

Volo's Guide to Monsters in the trove. Be sure to buy it and support the hobby even if you download it!

>Official /5eg/ Mega Trove v3:
mega.nz/#F!BUdBDABK!K8WbWPKh6Qi1vZSm4OI2PQ

>Community DMs Guild trove
>Submit to [email protected], cleaning available!
mega.nz/#F!UA1BhCBS!Oul1nsYh15qJvCWOD2Wo9w

>Pastebin with resources and so on:
pastebin.com/X1TFNxck

>/5eg/ Discord server
discord.gg/0rRMo7j6WJoQmZ1b

>Veeky Forums character sheets
mega.nz/#F!x0UkRDQK!l-iAUnE46Aabih71s-10DQ

Previous thread: Question: What's your favorite podcast or other DnD related content?

rip /5eg/

Making a fire-aligned elf subrace:

>Ability Score Increase: Constitution +1.
>Fire Elf Weapon Training: You have proficiency with the dagger, shortsword, whip and your choice between shortbow and blowgun.
>Heat Resistance: Once per short rest you can make yourself resistant to fire damage for 10 minutes.

Is it too strong? Too weak? Can't quite decide

/5eg/ is dead, and we have killed it.

Too weak. Just grant them fire resistance outright. If it's not overpowered on tieflings or dragonborn, it won't be overpowered on elves.

Which is more fun and flavorful for a character with weather powers? Tempest Cleric or Storm Sorcerer?

...¿por qué? What did I miss?

Way too weak. Temporary fire resistance is meh compared to what others can get.

I came up with a few fire related Elf subraces for a setting I was working on, if you're interested. They do overlap a bit with the standard ones since I had them in mind as replacements rather than additions.

What about leaving the resistance temporary but giving them instead an ability to deal fire damage sometimes?

Storm Barbarian

These are also a replacement for Drow (There are 5 races aligned with chinese elements). And please do post it

Tieflings and dragonborn can sometimes deal fire damage AND have permanent fire resistance.

Just give them permanent fire resistance.

Also since when has fire, which is the easiest of the 4 classical elements to destroy, been associated with Constitution, something that makes you harder to kill? I would think that a fire subrace would increase Dexterity (dancing flames), Intelligence (fire's association with technology), or Charisma (fire is pretty and forceful). Since it's an elf subrace probably not Dexterity, so that leaves Intelligence or Charisma.

I rolled a ranger (UA revised if it matters) and I'm thinking down the line I'll dip into fighter for a few levels, get some battlemaster maneuvers. What are The Good Ones for an archer?

What's the lore behind the race?

Did you take a elemental based system to make elven subraces while accomodating the existing ones?

If so having 6 elven subraces with each having a different stat boost would be neat.

Dark elves having necrotic resistance and Cha.

Sun/Moon elves having radiant resistance and Int

Aquatic elves having freezing resistance and Con.

Wood elves having uh what would be appropriate a bludgeon resistance or to theme them after earth?

Fire elves having fire resistance and +Str

And then there'd be wind elves with either thundering or lightning resistance and an additional +1 to Dex.

They live underground in proximity of lava. That's really where heat resistance comes from (and should prolly be permanent)

An Elf walks into a bar
There's now Bar Elves

Storm Sorcerer with Sailor background

Storm sorc is shit and cleric is just a cleric.

Storm barbarian does it better.

Last session one of my players got tricked into putting on a brass bracelet that instantly locked around his arm. The players know the item is of the transmutation school. What are some cool curses or side-plots I can make happen to the player because of this?

They live underground? I would assume this would be an Earth race, not a Fire race. Lava is molten rock, not fire. A fire race would be better served by living above ground, maybe near volcanoes, but also near forests or grasslands (that frequently catch fire). Or perhaps in a desert.

Alright, all of them had the standard elf features baseline, from there

Peak: +1 Int
Weapon Training: Spear, Shortbow, Longbow, Warhammer
Cantrip: Control Flames, one other cantrip that deals fire damage. Int is the spellcasting ability.

(This is basically high elves, but with Control flames in exchange for more restriction on the type of cantrip.)

Glade: +1 Wis
Weapon Training: Handaxe, Battleaxe, Shortbow, Shortsword
Fleet of Foot: Same as wood elf
Trailblaze: As an action, sense distance and direction to nearest fire. You also know the approximate size of the fire. Once per long rest, you may focus on the nearest fire to either see or hear what is happening near it for 10 minutes

Jungle: +1 Str
Weapon Training: Scimitar, Spear, Blowgun (If you already have proficiency with a Blowgun, you deal 1d6 damage with blowguns instead)
Clamber: Advantage on Athletics checks to Climb
Mask of the Wild: Same as wood elf, except it also works with Smoke & Ash

(These two were pretty much the wood elf split up.)

Wild: +1 Cha
Weapon Training: Shortbow, Glaive, Longsword, Shortsword
Blink Step: You may cast Misty Step to travel a short distance through the Feywilde, buy you are blinded for 1 round afterwards. You must finish a short or long rest until you use this aiblity again.
Cantrip: Produce Flame. Charisma is your spellcasting ability for it.

(This was based more on the Eldadrin from the DMG, with a setting based downside to the blink to justify a cantrip.)

Not sure if any fit what you're going for, but maybe it'll give you some ideas at least.

He sometimes transforms into otherworldly beings

Well, there's two different routes you can go. You can either have the bracelet transmute the wearer, or have the bracelet transmute itself.

Maybe it starts melding with their flesh and turning them to brass, maybe it turns other metals it touches into brass. Maybe it's turning them into something unrelated. Maybe it's turning them into a brass dragon. Maybe it can form into a brass suit of armor temporarily. Maybe just a shield.

I'm assuming the bracelet is not easily removed. Have it belong to someone or something that really, really wants it back.

There are 5 subraces (6 technically, but the 6th one isn't for PCs) loosely aligned with 5 chinese elements (and 6th is poison for corrupted essence)

High Elves
Charisma +1.
Cantrip: You know one cantrip of your choice from the wizard spell list. Charisma is your spellcasting ability for it.

Wood Elves
Wisdom +1.
Fleet of Foot: Your base walking speed is 35 feet.
Mask of the Wild: You can attempt to hide even when you are only lightly obscured by natural foliage, heavy rain, falling snow, mist, or other similar conditions.

Star Elves
Intelligence +1.
Path of Stars: You can cast the Misty step spell once using this trait. You regain the ability to do so when you finish a short or long rest.
Languages: You can speak, read, and write Ancient Eldar (Elvish) and one extra language.

Sea Elves
Ability Score Increase: Strength +1.
Amphibious: You can breathe air and water. Your base swimming speed is 30 feet. You can’t have a long rest without enough water to submerge yourself.
Superior Darkvision: Your darkvision has a radius of 120 feet.
From Cold Depths: You have resistance to Cold damage.

Deep Elves
Constitution +1.
Heat Resistance: Once per short rest you can make yourself resistant to fire damage for 10 minutes.

They also all have different weapon sets and languages

Hey guys, BANanon again. Episode 3 went up yesterday on the site if anyone was listening. Gotten great feedback so far and would love some more on every aspect of it.

Like for one, I don't think I'm a fan of the intro and was wondering if anyone had suggestions for it.

www.bardsandnobles.com

tl;dr
>5e podcast
>buncha dudes getting drunk and playing D&D

Disarming strike to steal some neat gear from enemies by teaming up with your thief or monk buddy.

Goading attack from range on a melee focused enemy and ensure automatic disadvantage against every one of your team mates.

Maneouvering attack lets you get your melee bruisers to block the way.

Pushing attack lets you take down targets who have the high ground.

And finally tripping enemies at range is so good.

If you go sharpshooter you have to get precission tho since it ensures your boosted attacks actually hit.

Threshold by d6mafia

The connections are pretty loose and don't necessarily reflect physiology

Metal is high elves. They came control the remaining metal sources after a major elemental cataclysm in the past
Wood is wood elves. For obvious reasons
Star elves are earth for living in the highest mountains and an alliance with goliaths
Sea elves for water. Obvious again
Deep elves for fire because they live in hot volcanic caverns and are the primary competitor of the High elves

It's all a draft, though, and subject to change

Would it be unreasonable to rework the Storm barbarian into something more like Totem, where you choose what kind of benefits it grants you?
>At 3rd level, choose an element and either Seething Strike (end of turn damage spike against single target) or Lashing Presence (2 + Lv/4 AoE damage)
>At 6th, gain resistance to that damage type
>At 10th, can share resistance
>At 14th, choose between Shifting Earth (current desert power, turns ground into churning sand/brine/snow), Coursing Winds (current sea, knock down on hit), and Ensnaring Field (current blizzard, area is difficult terrain)

Wouldn't it make more sense to swap Star and Deep elves? Stars are known for being bright and hot, and living on wooded mountains or volcanoes could lead to wildfires or similar situations.

Deep elves would have to go very deep to get to volcanic caverns, but before that they're completely surrounded by Earth.

Precision and goading seem great, but I'm not so sure about tripping. Helps my melee buddies but gives me disadvantage, so I'd want to be changing targets after using it.

True I suppose. What would that make their traits, though?

>Stars are known for being bright and hot
Are they? In a medieval setting?

Probably not. At the very least it would allow some different fluff options and combinations, though I think the Sea benefits are still the best.

Personally, I wouldn't mind seeing some ritual spells added for the various paths to help give a bit more utility. Maybe even ranged cantrips for those rare instances when you're not raging.

Do you think they literally supposed to live on stars or what?

They're known more for being bright than they are for being earth, at least.

Whose cock do I need to suck for the volos pdf?

Honestly, in this setting I'm not even sure stars other than the sun exist. The world was wrecked way back in the day by, essentially, the villains' plot from Elemental Evil coming to fruition.
Since then there's fire-aligned sun (with dragons being sealed inside), water-aligned surface of the planet, metal-aligned hollow earth inside the planet (that's where most metals gone), earth-aligned Underdark between and wood-aligned moon

Yeah, so why would the Deep elves near the earth-aligned underdark be Fire, while the Star elves on mountain peaks closest to the Sun be Earth?

That's an odd choice of the image

Literally first word in the 5eg post.

... but what does it mean

I opened the wrong image but I was just like 'fuck it' and rolled with it.

They're nowhere close to the Underdar, no more than dwarves in more generic fantasy settings. It's the 6th subrace who live there, they're mostly runaway deep elves and deep dwarves twisted by spirits of the place

Have them roll a DC 10 Constitution check every morning at dawn. If they fail a small patch of their skin petrifies. If they fail to remove the bracelet (i.e. remove the curse) they become completely petrified after failing like... 20 times. Obviously they would start to get disadvantage on certain things as they become more and more petrified, and gives them a reason to try and get the thing removed. Especially useful if you also give it a really nice benefit like someone above suggested.

>Living deep enough to be near active magma flows
>Somehow not close to the underdark

Doesn't seem to line up.

I mean who scanned the thing? I'm not asking who can give it to me in return for a beeg I'm asking who I already owe the beeg to.

Don't trip unless it's your final shot of the round.

Thanks for this, I'll use it somehow

I suppose I'll rethink the whole arragement. Not guaranteed to change but still

Has anyone considered interesting uses for bugbear's Long Limbed using spells? You could
>Lightning Lure or Thorn Whip someone from extra range
>Attack with Spiritual Weapon from a distance

>Amphibious: You can breathe air and water. Your base swimming speed is 30 feet. You can’t have a long rest without enough water to submerge yourself.
>You can’t have a long rest without enough water to submerge yourself.
PANIC!

Stat him, /5eg/!

>Minotaurs don't have Powerful Build despite being bigger than Goliaths and Bugbears

Nobody fucking plays Dragonlance, give us universal Minotaur stats

I mean, tieflings have resistance to fire from level 1. It's not that overpowered. No need to limit it like that.

Spiritual Weapon already moves so that's not really a huge deal.

There's no melee attack on Lightning Lure so the racial doesn't apply.

Thorn Whip is legitimate.

Uh you lost me there.
They aren't even looseley based arround the chinese elements which are Fire, Water, Earth, Wood and Gold/Metal.
Damn now i want METAL ELVES who only use axes and have glorious hair.

All elves share these traits:
Fey ancestry
Darkvision 60ft
ASI +2 Dex

Fire elves:

Fire is explosive and wild/willfull in nature so Cha it is.

ASI +1 to Cha

Fire elf weapon training: Sabres, Daggers, Throwing knives/darts/javelins, Whips.

Tempered constitution: Fire resistance

You know one fire based cantrip of your choice from the Wizard, Cleric or Sorcerrer spell list.

Aquatic elves:

Their bodies suffer the pressure and cold of water but are also adapted to swim constantly so either Str or Con works but lets go with Str since in chinese myths water is associated with strenght.

ASI +1 Str

Tempered constitution: Frost resistance

Aquatic: Water breathing and swim speed equal to land movement speed.

Aquatic elf weapon training: Daggers, Shortswords, Spears, Tridents, Nets.

Now for earth we can make surface dwelling elves who use mould earth to live in various terrains and since it's the most practical magic in DnD (seriously given enough time with mould earth you can build a fortress with minimal expenses within a few months).
We could just call them magic humans at this point but eh.. Lets go with mountain elves.

Mountain elves:

ASI + 1 Con

Mountain elf weapon training: Quarterstaff, Spear, Sling, Javelin, Warhammer, Halberd.

Know the mould earth cantrip.

Now what resistance or benefit could they gain?
Since earth is associated with endurance and vitality lets go with gaining one extra death save per long rest and recovering from an exhaustion level extreemley easily like 1-2 levels per shor rest (which would make berseker barbarian viable).

Cont.

They also don't have immunity to sleep, resistance to charm and free 4 hour watch during the night

Powerful Build wasn't a 5e racial at all when the Minotaur stats were put in UA.

Still, medium sized minotaurs are stupid.

Precision, Goading and Maneouvering.

Precision lets you damage spike while the others make great team support.

>Now what resistance or benefit could they gain?
>Since earth is associated with endurance and vitality lets go with gaining one extra death save per long rest and recovering from an exhaustion level extreemley easily like 1-2 levels per shor rest (which would make berseker barbarian viable).
Already gave this shit to a subrace of dwarves:

Dwarven Endurance: You ignore a level of exhaustion you’d gain otherwise. You can’t use this ability again until you complete a long rest.

Should every class get a storm subclass?

Praise Qazlal

Any tips on how to bard properly? This is my first time playing a caster, usually a barbarian or rogue.

It seems like I just buff teammates and debuff enemies. How often should I actually swing my longsword around?

What if we have them water sensitivity?

Dave Davison.

One of my players rolled up a druid after their ranger died and now the monk is feeling useless next to the party bear. Suggestions? Monk still wants to punch things.

>It seems like I just buff teammates and debuff enemies. How often should I actually swing my longsword around?

If you're going lore bard, then you should be blasting cantrips at an enemy really. If you're going valor bard then you'll probably be swinging more often than casting but should have a way to cast spells safely.

What level are they? If the monk wants to feel fucking awesome, they should go shadow monk at level 3, and then stunning stike the shit out of enemies at level 5. Seriously, a single failed stunning strike save basically ends an encounter no matter the enemy's CR.

>You roll up combo character Tempest Cleric and Storm Barbarian with your friend

We already have wood elves and they make a decent fit.

Adaptable and tricky.

I'd add whips to their weapons and maybe a poison resistance.

Another option is thundering/lightning damage reist since wind and lightning are atributed to wood in the chinese 5 elements.

And we are left with METAL and Int.
Quite fitting to the High elves and their work as artisans and civilisation builders.

Now we can incorporate metal this way:

Weapon proficiency: Martial weapons or just Shortsword, Rapier, Longsword, Greatsword, Battleaxe and Crossbows

Armour proficiency: Medium armour

One wizard cantrip of your choice or one tool proficiency of your choice.

This is already enough to make them the default Dex fighter so let's leave it at that.
(they are basically Dex dwarves with faboulous hair instead of shaggy beards)

Druids are pretty strong, monks are mildly underwhelming. Try throwing in more ranged enemies so he can deflect arrows, maybe throw him a quarterstaff +1.

Probably. You can already have a pretty nice thunder based team with a Tempest Cleric, Storm Barbarian, and Storm Sorcerer.

Thank you for your take, it's really interesting and I'll incorporate it somehow. Also, I like how the weapon sets match with mine.

Also also, in the setting, High/Metal elves are essentially elven assyrians... which is pretty metal if you ask me. And yes, their hair shines

For example, have it able to transform into a suit of full plate upon command. After they fail like... 10 times or something give them resistance to piercing and slashing damage but vulnerablity to bludgeoning due to most of their body being made of stone. At this point also disadvantage on Dexterity based checks as well as athletics checks made to climb or swim. Stuff like that.

Balance the negatives and positives to keeping this thing on their wrist so that they keep pushing their luck.

Throw in some sort of cloth monk robe magic item that can give him some nice bonus

I for one want a storm monk and not the shitty Wot4E monk.
They could have made an elemental archetype in lieou of sorcerrers for monks but no they had to mash it all together into one shit archetype.

Oh and by the way Storm sorcerrer sucks.
Not even a Thundering damage bonus and the only thing it gets to do is jump arround and fan some wind your way, AND they get flight the latest of all sorcerrer archetypes.

A Wis based storm rogue would be neat but we already have a pirate archetype so maybe a supernatural thief based around using lightning for movement.

A storm based fighter could work as some Wis based archetype that infuses his weapons with magic similar to paladin but different in that it isn't extreemley restricted RP-wise.

A storm druid would be based around mythological beasts like the Roc or the Thunderbeast which conviniently shares the property of shapeshifting into animals.
Maybe have them gain lightning damage, extra speed and lightning/thundering resistance in animal form.

Storm ranger...well i'm out of ideas.

Make the bracelet slowly grow in size adding to the characters AC every few days. Catch being that the helmet it gives you doesn't open once your head is encased dooming you to a slow death by starvation/dehydration. To fuck em over make the bracelet not retract till a week or so has passed so they can't use low level resurrection spells to have super armour

Play past level 8.

Storm Barbarian is more flavorful, but Tempest Cleric is more metal.

BTW, can't help but notice that you give subraces a bit more traits than there's in the PHB and you didn't include Trance in common elf traits. Was that on purpose?

Themed parties are the best
>tfw your first group went full fey with feyladin, feylock, bard and totem barb

>Monks
>Having worthwhile class features after level 8

Bards are badasses. Google up a 5e bard guide, they'll give you more and better organised information than you'll get here.

>The remainder of a party of adventurers adopt a small girl
>Either the daughter of another party member who died, or found as a slave or orphaned by bad dudes
>Paladin insists on taking her in, wants to train her to be another of the faithful, but as time goes on finds that while strength and fighting can be trained she really doesn't have the force of will or charisma for crusading
>Reluctantly and for her own good he enlists the help of his old companion rogue and wizard
>They work to teach her how to use speed, cunning, and spells to survive, under the paladin's supervision
>Eventually she goes off on her own to explore the world on her own terms, with the guile of a rogue, wit of a wizard and ideals of a paladin
Does this seem reasonable to explain an unsociable and pragmatic Arcane Trickster with a strong moral code?

Throw the monk some clothes or jewelry that gives him nice boosts.

A bracer that grants him +1 AC and allows him to disarm opponents as a bonus action on a failed Str save contesting his Ki save, has 1d6 charges which are regained each time he meditates.

A set of tigre striped pants which give his kicks +1 to attack and damage rolls while reducing the cost of the ''Step in the wind'' feature to zero.

Or a belt inscribed with runes that depict boxing stances that gives him a +Wis bonus to his Attack rolls as well as reroll the lowest damage die once per turn while punching meaning he will hit all the time and be encouraged to use stunning strike and unarmed strikes.

These are just general ideas for items that stay usefull even at high levels.

sure

My idea is for them:

One ASI themed around the race/element

Weapons suitable to their enviroment/temper

One or two enviromental adaptations (wood elves and sea elves both get movement and natural ability to fit into their enviroment but they don't get any magic to compensate for that)

One resistance/Equivalent to a resistance

One Magic/Tool support.

And finaly Trance is removed so they rest for 8Hours like other humanoids.

I build my dwarves as STR version of elves , basically +2 to Str and +1Hp per Character level , 1 tool proficiency and the other features come from Subraces, also they are considered small.

Humans are the race with +2 to con and one skill then you pick subrace : Tundra, Plains, Hill, Sea, Dessert or Woodland.

Giants are the +2 Wis race with subraces and are large.

Bestmen (Humans with spirit-anmals whose features they retain like claws on finger tips, horns or feathers as hair or ears shaped as said animal) as the +2 Cha race, based around being descendants of spirits similar to elves being descendants of fey.

A celestial race based around angels and titans and shit as the +2 Int race.

Orc/Goblinoids and other monstrous races are straight up monsters and mostly non-intelignet lesser demons.

Just let them get Extra attack 2 arround level 11.
That extra 1d8+5 brings them on pair with suboptimal fighter who don't use GWM/Sharpshooter.

Also give them a fighting style at lvl 2 or something.
Use things like the Spear-master feat from the Feats UA or the Mariner fighting style for that one.

I had the idea to let them add Wisdom to damage at that level in games where magic items and feats were expected. That extra 4 or 5 per swing would add up nicely,

I think it's finally done...
But, just to be sure, here you guys go.
Tell me if anything is off.

Well um that turns this at lvl 10:

3d8+15

To:

3d8+30

That's a 15 point increase FLAT and monks hit mostly all the time.

Rather than that just giving them Extra attack 2, an extra ASI at lvl 6 and 1 extra Hp per Monk level would suffice.

I like the barbarian but I'd like something that does a little more than get mad and swing with a few extra ribbons. Spellcasting is one way to do that, at least.

One summons others, with 127 hp?
Seems way too tanky for actual play, imo
Any party without Hold Person spam will get stomped

Just refluff the Sun soul monk with Lightning damage/Thundering damage.

You won't have 20 Dex and Wis at level 10. At best, it'd be a 9 point increase, which is pretty close to just getting another attack for 1d8+5.

How do I quit a group without looking like a cunt?

I'm >If linking to the old post doesn't work, I'm the person from two threads back who got fucked by a stupid DM who said that the spell Shield blocks my two nat 20 rolls even though it very obviously doesn't.

I don't really want to play with this DM anymore, but I don't know how to quit without looking like a cunt. I'd be quitting over one instance, causing unnecessary drama, plus my friends were the ones who invited me, not the DM. Also, another friend of mine has gone out of his way multiple times to make sure I'd be able to play, i.e giving me a ride to sessions and stuff like that.

tl;dr hate our DM now, don't know how to quit without looking like a cock.

I like it.

Fair point and considering they need Con too as a 1d8 Hp class it keeps them balanced.