GMs, how do you organise your notes?

GMs, how do you organise your notes?
Do you keep them on paper or create a wiki? Do you have separate sections for NPCs and plot events?

Other urls found in this thread:

zim-wiki.org/
hexographer.com/free-version/
onenote.com/download
twitter.com/SFWRedditGifs

when i used to DM so did i take a binder and create tabs in it, one for maps, one for "places" (map for town/villages, names of important npcs there, general notes for that specific place, quests and quest notes, etc, etc) one for planned encounters, one for random encounters and a zombie tab with defeated encounters (not to come back as zombies but incase i wanted to reskin the statblock without filling up the other tabs), and then one for the party itself

then i got lazy and started to use a notebook where i just scribbled the most essential things and some monsterstats, with the majority of things simply being me pulling stuff out of my ass.

I use a Trello board, a text editing program and a mindmap.

>Having notes.

Get a load of this retard who hasn't learned to IMPROVISE.

It's nice to remember the stuff you improvised up. What people's names were and shit. Because the players occasionally do.

Zim Desktop Wki, my man.

Join Team OneNote. We have cookies.

if this rids me of Word i will sing with joy.

I have a notebook of everything RPG related, at least 20 lists, 5 pages of basic map ideas, 1 page devoted to this week's session and always make sure to have blank spaces just in case one of the nameless NPCs the party talks to needs to be labaled and ends up helping more than they originaly thought.

It's also a disorganised mess that induces headaches to anyone reading it, but me.

>GMs, how do you organise your notes?
Poorly and haphazardly.

I suppose I should post a link:

zim-wiki.org/

You remember the names, inventories, and stats of every NPC, business, and loot piece your improvise each week?

Not that guy, but having done this here and there I've noticed that players don't remember that shit either.
A continuity error like some guy's sunglasses disappearing is hard to catch when there's a week or two between the scenes.

Google docs

came here to post this

.txt files with carefully-chosen filenames and subfolders. Mostly just reminders and outlines to jog my memory. The true magic of the game and setting happens in my head, usually while I'm at work. 90% of the notes are on my laptop, with the other 10% being hasty notes I've made on my phone because 'holy shit that's an awesome idea I'd better write that shit down'.

The wonders of modern technology are such that I can use my phone to take notes even when I'm drunk off my ass.

I print them out, because my maps are open on a photoshop that I Chromecast for my players to see on screen, along with a notepad to the side for their notes.

Why would I need to? Most of them are never going to come back, and it's not like the players know what their stats and inventories are. I'll just re-make that shit on the fly, and yes, I am quite capable of remembering a dozen or so names and general positions, most normal humans are.

>how do you organise your notes?
I make a folder full of pertinent images organized into sensible sub-folders, I also include one or more text or word documents containing further details and a sub-folder for any Veeky Forums threads that help too...

I use a lot of index cards for notes in game. Rooms and encounters, characters, npcs, etc. With room to make new notes as they come up. After each session I go through the cards, take notes in a notebook. I can refer back to the cards, use them again, and write new ones from there.

>gurps
>autistic but still a shit mess

checks out

I use Realm Works for just about all of my notes at this point. Love the flexibility of the program.

>Realm Works
>50$ software
Got a link, bruh?

Yeah... A link would be nice. I'm a fucking poorfag.

This is going to sound really weird, but I run my Hexcrawl campaign via Excel. Staggered squares are mathematically equivalent to hexagons so the grid of cells works just fine for hexes (2 cells to the hex). The background is the hex map. I make heavy use of the comment function for notes and then use file links to dungeon documents or maps.

For things that don’t go well directly onto a map, such as factions, house rules and noticeable NPCs, I use oneNote.

>Hexcrawl campaign via Excel
>not using Hexographer
>which is FREE
hexographer.com/free-version/

I've usually got a notebook that's about the equivalent of taking notes in a class.

It's all pretty messy but readable enough for important things to recall (Names, important details, etc.) while the rest is just so I remember it later on.

It also fits because I'll actively write notes while we play so I'm half-planning the next session while we play.

A link to what? A free / cracked version?

yup.

cracked versions are the lifeblood of the poorfag market.

Not like I've searched everywhere, but I'm not seeing much available. Sorry folks. If you ever have the money to spare though, I think its worthwhile.

Tried it, wasn’t a fan.

Any browser-based note-taking tools that allow me to have folder trees?

Right now I'm using Evernote, but I feel like tags don't immediately give me a visual idea of how information fits together like a folder hierarchy does.

I really like wiki system for that.

I love OneNote. Its everything i wanted from Zim but so much easier to use and with more features. Plus it just looks so much better.

Someone put the entire 5e srd into a notebook for OneNote, its crazy powerful once you start tinkering with it.

Bump.

I'm liking the look of this

Cool--
I found Laverna could offer some more features but this is great

I write a pile of words, put a chair on top of them and improvise from this high spot

I got it all here.

>"What was that dwarf's name again?"
>'Uuuuuhhhh ROBERT!"
>"I thought it was Rodger?"

I have several regular school-issue notebooks that are labeled "NPCs" "Locations" "Dungeons" "Items" and "Player Characters" where I keep tabs on everything my players have interacted with, their inventories, the status of the plot, the personalities of NPCs, etc.

It's kind of unwieldy when trying to quickly access information but otherwise I keep it all down pretty okay.
>Pic unrelated

Tiddlywiki is pretty nice for organizing campaigns. It comes as a single HTML file that you just open up and edit in your web browser of choice. Sadly it doesn't work on mobile devices and the app that lets you edit tiddlywiki pages costs money, but it's a damn good tool for quickly getting campaign notes together.

I've got like four spiral notebooks that I jot everything down in. One for towns, one for NPCs, one for PCs, and one for the events that happen.

Is there any alternatives to OneNote? Just curious.

See

Right now I have a small notebook, but I think I'm gonna find myself a binder because it's easier to organize stuff, move them around etc.
Tried computer programs, but carrying the notebook is bothersome.

Of course not, the players never bother coming back to anything. Or remember what was there if they randomly stumble on it anyway.

As much as everybody faps to herolabs products, I always found them clunky as shit.

Is onenote looking like this a windows 7/8 thing? I'm using 10 and my onenote looks tons different.

Oh, nevermind. Just realized it's because y'all are using apple.

Actually i'm on windows 10. It looks like this because you have to go download the desktop version and stop using the app version.

onenote.com/download click on desktop version.