Aes

When did cyberpunk die, Veeky Forums?

Other urls found in this thread:

bbc.com/news/world-asia-37820112
en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Strauss–Howe_generational_theory
twitter.com/AnonBabble

When it started becoming contemporary fiction.

9/11

When the technology it based itself on became outdated I guess.

When it became reality, but instead of being grungy, neon, and japanese it was clean, ergonomically designed, and American.

When it ended up a completely visual style.

I think most people don't realize how hard that shit affected fiction.

It really was the end of innocence on a level unseen in the country since, well, I'd say Pearl Harbor.

The only tech that really mattered in the Bridge trilogy was a fully sapient AI and nanoassemblers capable of creating a fully functional living human, with memories and all.

Not quite outdated yet.

The Punks grew up. The Man is mostly dead from old age now and The Punks' kids grew up in digital cradles. Now The Punk is slowly coming to terms with the fact that he is becoming The Man and his children are rebelling against him in ways he did not think possible.

It will happen again soon.

yeah, this happened during the 80's too, which is why we suddenly went from movies like Easy Rider, to movies like Police Academy - all the former hippies who grew up, got jobs, and shaved trying to come to terms with their old lives and their new ones

Now, in this generation, we have the 90's gen X kids coming to terms being part of the System.

>all the former hippies who grew up, got jobs, and shaved trying to come to terms with their old lives and their new ones

You know that's kind of an urban legend, right? That the hippies put on business suits and became The System?
As for the Punks, I don't see Henry Rollins being even remotely The Man anytime soon.

Most revolutionary forces need to gain about 20% of the populace before they can really start to effect a change. The American Revolutionary war had those numbers on the rebel side, and nearly as many on the monarchist side, which made it touch and go for a bit before the rebels won.
The hippies got that ~20% and won most of what they fought for. The punks never made it that far, though.
But "The System" continues on largely composed of the middle of the road people, folks who just go with the flow. Those revolutionary forces can push them one way or another, but they are never really a part of the actual push.

Die? We're living it!
It does lacks hovercars, though.

It lacks the aesthetics.

People who have no idea who Turing and Descartes are, let alone Shirow Masamune, told me with smug smiles that Ghost in the Shell is "overrated".
So yep, Cyberpunk is dead.

And glamor.

Cyberpunk doesn't die. It has multiple copies of itself stored in different physical and virtual vaults.

The "bad" guys have changed. They were visible corporations. Now they are holdings and trusts. The yakuza and triads got replaced by the Russian mob and Mexican cartels. Cell phones became smartphones. The timeframe moved from 2040 to 2080, but the action remains.

The more things change, the more they stay the same.

When Nirvana hit #1 and killed off the eighties.

Shadowrun
:^)

in the 2000s

With the 90s but it wasn't made official until 9/11.

Super serious serious answer time:
It's got a lot to with post-modern relativism and living in the infinite now. The media has infiltrated every facet of our lives, and like it or not that media is so full of ideology I can only compare it to a pig that's ate several pounds of apples and is about to explode.
When observed through the lens of post modern consumerism, the past is quaint and sort of childish (because all societies and systems of belief lead to consumerism, the planet-destroying final form). The same can be said for art and writing styles belonging to the past. Why look for something interesting in the past when the thing the system will make you consume already has a nerdy reference to the thing you are really interested in.
Second thing that's important (and I will get to my point soon don't worry) is how post-modernism relates to the future. Post-modernists, if there really is such a group, live in the infinite now, where there is no status quo and where normal rules and social relations are out the window. We do not understand the present, so why should we bother understanding the future.
Cyberpunk is unfortunate here because it represents both the past and the future. It represents an uncomfortably recent past where artists and writers, although not a whole lot of them, thought corporations were taking power from traditional government and taking the world in a very questionable direction. Today we find the very idea of rebellion funny. Also, the relation to technology has changed. Technology is no longer enabling. It doesn't give you extra senses like in lawnmower man or the matrix. It doesn't link you to new, unexpected art you never knew you were interested in. No, technology today is like facebook. It already makes decisions for you in advance, and even if you make the illusory choice between a yes and a yes with a pause, the choice of what you see and who you interact with has already been made for you.

The megacorps won.

The internet that seemed infinite in the early 2000's and really promoted individual content generation was replaced by sites like Reddit and Tumblr. Today when someone wants to be on the internet, they make a Facebook page instead of their own website. Newgrounds was replaced by YouTube and flash games that would have been free are now sold on App Stores. The internet as a whole is getting increasingly homogenized and smaller.

cont.

The irony is, there is still a lot of cyberpunk art being produced, and a lot of it is of very high quality. It is made mostly for personal portfolios and by people who are trying to make a break in the concept art industry. A lot of these people have enough of a technical or business background to understand the symolic "core" of cyberpunk without just deriving and without filling their art with mindless references.
The irony within the irony, of course, is that by the time most of these people get jobs, they will end up drawing generic fantasy art, as well as doing mobile game "art" on weekends, complete with smiling dogs and talking burgers. Because this is what people pay for. You don't get to make art for yourself or for people who like art, you get to make art for the middle management.

One day, someone is going to barge in while you are making your little aesthetic world and say how the game would be so much cooler if it had cavalry. Civil war cavalry. With sabers. And this is how you end up on heroin.

The Megacorps won.

The internet that seemed infinite in the early 2000's and really promoted individual content generation was taken over by sites like Reddit and Tumblr. Today when someone wants to be on the internet, they make a Facebook page instead of their own website. Newgrounds was replaced by YouTube and flash games that would have been free are now sold on App Stores. The internet as a whole is getting increasingly homogenized and smaller.

It certainly killed the 90s

So, we're in post-cyberpunk?

When we realized that Rastafarian space colonies weren't going to be a thing,

Also 9/11. Which interestingly enough, is exactly when Gibson stopped writing scifi and started writing about America.

Can someone provide this in non-ant form? I want it for the next cyberpunk thread 'cos it's great.

When the future arrived and we still didn't have flying cars or chrome-clad fembots.

As it turns out, futuristic technology is both boring and soul crushing, and basically the extent of it is being able to facebook people from your wristwatch.

Explain more please. I'm 19 so I don't really have any cultural memories of pre-9/11.

Not even decent bait.

ol' henry writes for LAWeekly and Jezebel, punk is dad

the hippies weren't that far off from the centre tho, they're still white kids who just wanted to be able to get high instead of crack a cold one. Otherwise they wanted cars, condos, couches, 2.5 children shit like that, just with a different pallet set so they could feel good about themselves.

The revolutionary forces in the american war for independence got tricked into fighting for a more local tax man. Good job.

When it largely become reality.

Not all world is USA.

Because the entire punk aspect is too dated. Just play Interface Zero.

>overly-dramatic anarchist

Just enjoy your awesome cyberpunk RPGs, chummer.

Yeah, but we have a fairly higher standard of living than a majority of countries as well as a larger population size.

>South Korea was revealed to be under the control of a cabal of eight witches who had brainwashed their president since childhood to be an occult "manchurian candidate"
>America just had its election stolen by meme-magicians worshiping a technologically reanimated Egyptian God backing the rise of a fascist billionaire
Don't let the lack of arcologies fool you, we're living in the cyberpunk age.

pre-9/11 we were pretty naive about "security"

The closest thing we had to cling to with subterfuge was the cloak and dagger stylings of the Cold War. Spy shit was so absurd in reality that it had become popular, parodied, and marginalized before the Cold War was even over. Ass-backwards conspiracies like Roswell were cropping up making it seem like the government was hiding stuff from us, but stupid bullshit like aliens. People were seriously delving into new-age shit like ESP and weaponized psychotropic drug use because they think they thought the other side was doing they same thing and you need to stay one step ahead in the smoke and mirrors shell game. The Cold War ended and the 90s hit with radical wierdness and postmodernism similar to what happened post WW1 and 2.

Then 9/11 happened

It was very much like Pearl Harbor. All the post war good feelings were gone as we realized there was still scary people trying kill us. Al Qaeda is like the USSR on crack. So secret it's not even a government. To hunt them down we need to invade a country that wants them gone as much as we do. We were not ready to deal with terrorism, with the idea of people who don't want to fight our soldiers or kill our government officials, just kill random people so that everyone is afraid they're next.

Cybersecurity also became a thing, the general knowledge of computer use and "hacking" has become more sophisticated, so the stereotypical cyberpunk hacking no seems absurdly outdated. No one steals big piles of data held in the equivalent of a digital bank vault. They steal your personal info, or hell, they just collate everything you voluntarily put there. I remember in middle/high school where people would tell you never to reveal you identity online, nowadays you're expected to identify yourself on a centralized website.

>Trump becoming President is what causes the Awakening

That's why post-modernism needs to go. Nothing lasting or nurturing can be made in this cultural alkahest. It can, at best, remain as a tool, not as a paradigm.

Memes are evil.

You still have less people than the countries of the first world combined, with their standart of life comparable.

Also, coming from a denizen of a country that likes to call itself european: what happened to your machismo and bravado? Gun-wielding land of the brave and the free, ready to fight the most powerful army in a bloody civil war at a drop of a hat - getting scared into fits of hysteria by a small-time attack of crazy fucks? I was watching that with a bit of disbelief and a load of derision.

Any sort of anarchy/rebellion is considered a joke. Which is really easy because why rebel? Against what? The government knows your identity and online practices but doesn't care necessarily enough to fuck you up? Oh no not that...

And what would you hold up in its place? Blind traditionalism?

>getting scared into fits of hysteria by a small-time attack of crazy fucks? I was watching that with a bit of disbelief and a load of derision
But 9/11 did result in America going to war. Recruitment rates rose in the wake of the attacks. The War on Terror did result in a lot of restrictions on personal freedom in the USA but many states still retain a relatively high degree of personal freedom.

this guy got it pretty good

also, the idea of a "punk" an outsider who fights the government and the man, became seen less as a freedom fighter and more as a terrorist, so the idea of changing a system from outside the law, using violence and subterfuge, became extremely uncomfortable when taken into a context of modern terrorism

no, this still is cyberpunk. people are just tied to the noose so tight that it's impossible to be anywhere else.

but look at us, on a semi anonymous forum.

if we find a way out, then the punk is in, but until then we are in a post modern cyber age. where dystopianism is just creaping around.

Seems like a good start.

Same here man. I remember walking into airport terminals to visit the shops and burn a day just tooling around talking to travelers and shit.

Open-eyed traditionalism. Conjugate the past and the future.

Seriously, you accuse me of being close-minded while shackling yourself to a paradigm. Ironic.

Yes, hysteria tends to preceed wars such as these - a recent example abroad would be Ukraine. And I remember americans just whipping themselves up before mobilising.

Our machismo has nobody to shoot.
I mean, we killed the leaders of our enemies, and then we just sort of milled around confused.

>SLA actually made it onto there
And it'll soon be back in print, unlike half that collage.

When it became real life, but less cool.

>South Korea was revealed to be under the control of a cabal of eight witches
Wait, what?

Nobody accused you of anything. Nor did I say anything in support of post-modernism. I implied was that you can't tear down a dominant paradigm without having something to replace it. Your own insecurities supplied the rest.

Yup.

bbc.com/news/world-asia-37820112

Supposing that I wanted the 19th century back supplied the rest, not my insecurities.
I've said nothing to cause you to jump to the worst alternative possible, so you're exasperated either at me or the situation.
You know what should follow a deconstruction, anyways.

;_;

We're one step closer now.

Boom, done.

During the magical age of Notsoonenough

I know, right? It's like some anarcho-punk writer in the 80s looked on with disgust at Reagan's election and said "how can I exaggerate this to utterly ridiculous levels for story purposes?"
At least Reagan was a charming demagogue who didn't repeatedly insult his own allies.

I don't know where that dumb myth of the "punk revolution" comes from. Cyberpunk characters are no heroes - they're shrewd business men/women not some naive 15yo punks. In general they don't care about corporations and governments. When they do fight governments and corporations it's not to make the world a better place or because it's a fun thing to do. It's usually because they got screwed over/double crossed - it's about revenge or honor, or because they work for a competitor - then it's about money. Sometimes they fight because their existence is at stake, but that's a last resort. If they can, they rather exile themselves somewhere rather than fight.

Damn. . . I knew all this, but to see it all spelled out like that.
Can't wait to get to the stage where centralization becomes a serious security flaw and the net balkanizes.
>Every large big box store out there uses the same exact software, probably even sharing server space, for their application and employee tracking.
Zero-Cool we need you

For real though, Shadowrun IS shit. The setting is well detailed, vivid and all that jazz but the system/rules absolutely sucks ass.

>It doesn't link you to new, unexpected art you never knew you were interested in.

/d/

No, but it affected the entire Western world in a big way. Wars were started and ended, more than a few terrorist organizations popped up, North African political climate changed drastically...
I've noticed more sci-fi about military for one thing and more talk about racism in fantasy.

>North African political climate changed drastically
Morocco is still an absolute monarchy. Algeria is still a dictatorship. Tunisia is now ruled by a different, incompetent and corrupt government. Egypt is still a fucking mess. The only change of importance is Libya that changed from a dictatorship to an anarchic shit hole.

>Wars were started and ended
Wars have always started and ended. Here's a list of wars that started in the 1990s (some or still ongoing):
>Europe: Yugoslavian Civil War, Kosovo Conflict, Albanian Rebellion, Insurgency in the Republic of Macedonia
>Ex-Soviet Union: Russian constitutional crisis, Chechen War I & II, South Ossetian War, Georgian Civil War, Tadjik Civil War, War in Abkhazia, Nagorno-Karabakh Conflict, War of Dagestan
>America: Chiapas Conflict, Cenepa War
>Africa: Somali Civil War, Eritrean-Ethiopian War, Sierra Leone Civil War, Congo War I & II, Rwandese Genocide, Burundian Civil War, Insurgency in Ogaden, Guinea-Bissau Civil War, Caprivi conflict
>Middle East: Gulf War, Iraqi-Kurdish Civil War, Al-Qaeda insurgency in Yemen
>South Asia: Afghan Civil War, Nepalese Civil War, Kargil War, Ethnic conflict in Nagaland
>Oceania: East Timorese crisis

> more than a few terrorist organizations popped up
Terrorism as we know it had its first Golden Era during the 1960s-1970s. Radical islamist organizations are much older (the Islamist Brotherhood was founded in 1928). That's pretty much the reason why all North African and Middle-Eastern countries were dictatorships - to keep the islamists at bay. We hear now more about those "new" terrorist groups thanks to better means of communication (TV, smartphones, internet, social media...).

A new character sheet for Cyberpunk 2020.
Specially designed for the infamous こうもんしゅっけつ Edition.

>Modified stats
>Reduced skill list
>Modified hit location
>Modified damage system

And some modern aesthetic inspiration

And here's some more old school inspiration.

Science based progtessivism

>infamous こうもんしゅっけつ Edition.
What?

Newfag detected.

no room for punks in section 9

Do you even cyberpunk, bro?

>put it into google
>all it gives me is Japanese web pages about hemorrhages
Tell me what it is, or I'll start posting Interlock Unlimited stuff. And none of us want that.

He'll do it, too! He's crazy!

Pfff. Noob. Not knowing the 2001 edition published in collaboration with Kodansha.

Reminder that it keeps happening
>en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Strauss–Howe_generational_theory

This all sounds familiar

A little infographic for those who like that sort of thing

I'm still pissed off Internet hasn't turned into a web of neon lines over blackness with websites as common solids in various colours.

I would like to know more about this thing that I can find no evidence of.

thanks for writing this

Don't be lazy. Put your Google Fu to work. I'm just going to give you this tip: Katsuhiro Otmo was involved.

Oh, this is about Akira. I thought you were meaning some Japanese edition of CP2020.

No, thank you for the (you).

Reprint? Hopefully with better binding than previous versions.

i know who all those 3 are and GITS is still overrated

Yeah, for the Cannibal Sector 1 launch (or slightly before, given that Daruma expect to have the printing done this month). Don't know who they're using for a printer, though.

>Ghost in the shell? Oh yeah I heard about that one. Didn't watch it, though. Looked old.
>Have you ever watched any anime other than GITS, user? Do you watch ongoing?
>Is that the one with the police chick? I dropped it. I didn't get what they were saying, so it must be stupid. In fact, the words probably don't mean anything.
>Oh you liked GITS? Here's one you'll like which is a little more new (posts moeshit).