Alright Veeky Forums

Alright Veeky Forums.

>With Volvo's Guide, Tabaxi were added as a race.

>They have a ability to double their speed once per turn, with the drawback of moving 0ft next turn.

A friend and I were talking and started asking what ifs?

>A level 20 monk can move 60 feet. Take Mobile and make it 70 ft.

>You could get Haste cast on, making it 140, and gives you another action, meaning you could dash. Making it 280, dash again making it 560.

>Use the Tabaxi's Feline Agility to double it, making your base speed 1120.ft/round.

>Assuming we have 6 people in a encounter, our Tabaxi would be moving 341.376m/s

>Acceleration is about 342m/s^2

Then we calculate force. Mass x Acceleration.

>80kg x 342 m/s^2 = 27,360 Newtons

>27,360 N = 39,682.3 psi.

Here it gets a bit hazy, we googled and found a trained fighter could punch at about 500 psi.

>We can already see our result is about 80 times this, approximentaly.

>In DND, a fighter trained in martial arts, ergo, a monk, punches around 500 psi.

>1d6+3 (assuming a monk has average player dexterity for a monk) has an average of 7.

So we know a fist from a monk equals about 500 psi and 7 damage.

>Now assuming we just run fist first into the enemy at 342m/s^2. We would be applying about 80 times that force.

>So, running at a dude, fist first, at 342m/s^2 with your first out would be 39,682.3 psi and 560 damage.

>This is just assuming you run fist first, without even doing an actual punch, would do 560 damage.

>We thought of like nerfing this, which results in disintergration since you're slamming into something at very high speed.

>Then we figured this could be countered if another party member would cast death ward on you.

>But then you wouldn't be dead, but we would imagine you would be very crippled.

Iunno if we fucked up, but if we didn't, holy moly.

ignore spelling mistakes im bad at life i didn't read a guide to a car i meant volo's guide.

>Volvo
Aside that, holy shit.

I would make you still roll an attack on that based on your DEX+Proficiency and if you don't penetrate the armor class you just mash yourself against the enemy or accidentally miss them.

D&D had that one cleric which could run fast and then turn their runfast into throwing people.

>You could get Haste cast on, making it 140, and gives you another action, meaning you could dash. Making it 280, dash again making it 560.
Dashing uses an action to move again at your current speed. So a second dash action would add 140 on again, not double the 280 to 560.

But as a Monk you can spend a ki point and use your bonus action to dash, which you left out. And the number of people in an encounter has absolutely no impact on how fast you'd be moving. Each round is roughly 6 seconds regardless.

Also you're doing the old peasant railgun trick of using physics when you want and game mechanics when you want, rather than being consistent. Long story short if I were your DM and you tried to use this logic I'd then apply the physics equal and opposite reaction means your own arm's bones are turned into powder and you would need multiple applications over several days of very high level healing magic to recover it.

didn't even know this was a thing holy moly lmaoooo.

Assuming this were all physical your monks feet would explode from the strain.

Assuming it's partly magical then physics as you have stated them wouldn't apply because the same force and energy wouldn't have been expended.

Well yeah, as he mentioned, even with death ward you'd be crippled. The damage would still be enormous since your whole body is a projectile moving at 342 m/s.

ok, what would be the actual damage in the end then because this all is doable with relative ease. I'd like to get a definitive answer so I don't have to start arguing with a player or a DM if this comes around in a future game.

The actual damage of a monk moving at 420 feet in a 6 second round then hitting someone?
1d10+dex modifier. Maybe with a little extra damage if you've got some magical item or so. And an additional +10 if you had the Charger feat.

Moving faster does absolutely nothing to increase your damage in the rules. If your DM wanted to house rule it the greatest likelihood is that they'd use a variation of the Falling damage rules, in which case you and the target would take 20d6 damage.

If I were the DM I'd allow you to crit on 17+ dice rolls with x2, x3, x4, and x5 on a nat 20 if you ran into a straight line.

But there's no straight "it does this damage" because you're dealing with wibbly wobbly magic physics.

In my group we've always done it so that any drop larger than 200 feet is an insta death regardless of your level because its kinda stupid that you could essentially drop from the orbit and hit the ground and if you can tank 20d6, you'd survive.

The reason that rule exists is because of fuck ass wizards that decide the ancient lich needs to be suplexed through a dimension door to kill it.

If you remove the 20d6 maximum it'd work out to be 42d6, which would just be annoying to roll but is doable. It'd average out to 147 damage, down to 73 damage if the target has resistance to bludgeoning damage.

When you can survive 20d6 it means you can survive 20 stabs to the gut.
And not just "survive with immediate medical care", you pretty much ignore them and keep doing whatever.
Realism is outta the window already.

>its kinda stupid that you could essentially drop from the orbit and hit the ground and if you can tank 20d6, you'd survive.

but that happens in real life.

So... this guy?

Cheetu, from HunterxHunter. His whole shtick is, "goes fast." At one point, he gains an ability that is basically, "we're playing, 'tag,' now; if you can't catch me in the time limit you die."

it's not unheard of for that to happen though

You should note that a man's flesh couldn't handle going even half as fast as that so he would be basically flinging his mashed up goop at enemies at 342 m/s minus any deductions from wind resistance and the fact that after a few feet he turns into a liquid mush.

Let's start with Newtons and psi. Newtons are force, psi are pressure (force per area). The two aren't equivalent. In terms of generating force on impact, you need to examine the acceleration caused by the impact itself, not the acceleration of the character prior to impact. I recommend an impulse-momentum approach. I also suspect your velocity is off. You took a constant value. For an actual move, there will be an acceleration and deceleration. Your actual velocity will vary with position. Your peak should be higher than what you've calculated here.

> >They have a ability to double their speed once per turn, with the drawback of moving 0ft next turn.
Stop the presses.

They have an ability to double their speed once per turn. What is the duration of the effect? A single turn? Or multiple turns?

They can opt to double their speed when moving, and regain the ability to do so after moving 0 feet in a turn. They can wait as long as they want to take the "stop", and can do it any number of times per rest as long as they stop inbetween.

No, I mean, they double their speed this turn, they must move 0 feet per next turn, but does their speed STAY doubled after next turn?

>Meanwhile casters reshape reality and nobody bats an eye
Good to know we focus on the right problems

>Move at the speed of sound
>As an easy target as someone standing still
>Zero bonus to damage or to hit
If you're annoyed at him not dying because of the acceleration be also annoyed about him not getting any benefit than just a shitty version of a teleportation spell

No. It is explicitly stated their speed is doubled until the end of their turn.

>Most gimmicky and useless racial trait ever
Why? oh, you run fast this turn and then you have to stand still the next? why is this going to help at all?

There is no "they MUST move 0 feet" ever. They just don't regain the ability to double their movement speed again until they do so, and it only ever lasts til the end of their turn.

Oh, okay, I thought I was onto something here. Oh well.

>why is this going to help at all?
Moving away out of your opponent's range? Running through the door and locking it behind you? There are tons of uses for it.

>Moving away out of your opponent's range?
You then stand still so he can more than likely catch you

60+0/2 turns = 30/turn which is the movement of most creatures

>Lock the door behind you
He can move and unlock it and you're in the other side unable to move that turn because racial feature

Your math is way wrong.
If you can move 1120 ft (342 meter) in one round ( IE; 6 seconds ), then you are averaging about 57 m/s.
Each characters turn is equal to about 6 seconds; the turns happen more or less simultaneously, within a 6 second timespan.

57 m/s is insane, Usain Bolt averaged about 12.2 m/s in his fastest 10 m ave.

If we imagine that your character has a speed-profile similar to a sprinter, then his average speed is close to around 85% of his topspeed.

That might arguably let your character slam into someone at 67 m/s, somewhat more than your average speed, and equal to about 150 miles/hr.
Which could probably hurt people terribly, but a big magical dragon might just shrug it off.

It never forces you to move 0 feet.
You can double your speed on your turn, and cannot thereafter use the feature again until you move 0 feet in a turn. You still have normal movement after, you just need to stand still to catch your breath before you sprint again.

Ok, that makes it more useful, though still gimmicky as fuck, reminds me of a worse version of flee spell.

I don't understand how that is considered on par with other racial features like reach, 2d6 on surprise rounds, pack tactics, etc though

You do not HAVE TO stay still in the second turn, you can move. This ability refreshes only after you spend a turn without moving, regardless of when that turn happens. It is not difficult.

Your actual acceleration ends up being:
a = 2s / t^2
a = 2*(342m) / 6s^2 = 9.5 m/s^2

Just a little less than the gravitational acceleration of Earth. At the speed you end up moving, you really ought to factor in air resistance, but whatever.

Of course, human sprinters can't reach a top-speed nearly that fast, but a cheetah can actually reach top speed in about 4-5 seconds, and since you are a feline race, you could probably justify it.

I know a guy who survived falling out of a plane at thousands of feet. It happens.

The reason that rule exists is that you hit terminal velocity. It doesn't matter for shit if you fall 1000 feet or 5000. It's the speed that kills you.

Wait, are you actually surprised about this? in 3.PF is rather easy to surpass the speed of sound and you get benefits from it (high speed rules)

Bugbears only get the reach on their turns, and while it opens up some new avenues, it isn't as broken than a variant human starting with some feats, or an optimized half-elf charisma caster. They only get 2d6 if they hit on a surprise round once per combat at maximum, heavily restricted by the ability of the party to actually be stealthy and lucky enough to get surprise rounds.
Kobold pack tactics come at the cost of a net 0 ASI and only one other racial ability that eats your action and is largely gimmicky itself.
Tabaxi's agility is nice because it actually stacks with things like dashes (when something allows you to dash, like rogue's cunning action, it does not double your movement but rather lets you move your speed again, so 2 dashes would be Speed + Speed + Speed and not Speed * 2 * 2) and refreshes as soon as you have a chance to stay put in combat.
The real offender race is Yuan-Ti since they get MAGIC RESISTANCE on top of full ASI, racial cantrip and limited at will spell, 1/day suggestion, and poison immunity.

Okay, I'm just running with it now.

Assuming that:
20d6 damage represents the terminal velocity of an average human body in free fall (Which is about 122 mph, or 54.5 m/s)

Your character can actually go faster than this.
The kinetic energy of a 70kg person, moving at 54.5 m/s will be about 104 kJ.
You can do 67 m/s, which bumps your kinetic energy to 157 kJ.
Roughly a 50% increase, so let's say it's about 30d6 damage.

As a DM, I would argue that damage must be shared, somehow, between you, and whomever you slam into. Opposite and equal reaction.

There are two things wrong with that.
1)surviving such falls is a thing that happens IRL
2)Past certain point, D&D characters are literally superhuman. If you want to go all "But muh realism" about every little detail, D&D is NOT the right system for you. At all.

yuan-ti/aasimar are the only races that really feel up to par with core and other previously released races. Fuck, Orcs are entirely worse than half-orcs, they lose 2 int, extra crit damage and survivability for a near-useless speed boost. I don't expect monstrous races to be better than core races in most situations (I play kobolds for flavor reasons, not to min/max), but for them to be a copy and paste of a core race with less features is kinda ridiculous.

>Long death tabaxi monk
>"Both you and the opponent take bazillion d6 damage"
>He just spends a ki point
His name is Gauss

Found that group, what do I win?

If we call it as 15d6 to you, and the opponent, that is potentially lethal to you.
It's a one-off. You knock yourself out, but do a shitton of damage. You can only do it in a place with ample space to gather speed.
It's physical, bludgeoning damage, no magic.
It'll average a little more than 50 dam.

I'd call this ability "Suicide Run"

Orcs are very similar to half-orcs...you...don't say...? I feel as though they should still have Savage Attacks but what did you expect?
You can't use that ability if you are killed outright, i.e. take damage that puts you at negative max hp.

>>Acceleration is about 342m/s^2
>Then we calculate force. Mass x Acceleration.
kg x 342 m/s^2 = 27,360 Newtons
,360 N = 39,682.3 psi.
This doesn't follow.

0.115 sq. in. fist area? Who the fuck is doing the punching here, Donald Trump?

D&D doesn't have rules for damage based on acceleration.

Nooooooo

muh epic peasant railgun

Yeah but most DMs worth their salt recognize when a player does something awesome and will go along with it.

Friendly reminder that if your DM punishes you for doing something like this and says "No, your punch deals 7 damage" instead of cheering you on for creativity, you have a shit DM.

He's running d&d. He's already a shit GM

It's not creative. It's just pedantic.

>I'd call this ability "Suicide Run"

Shit DM here, how do you convince people to play something other than 5e?
Seriously, holy shit nobody wants to play anything else.

Any DM worth there salt will recognize when power gamers try to game the system and shut it down. This is fine for Veeky Forums discussion but keep this shit out of games.

>"i want to run really fast, i did the math and at max speed i can run so fast my dick will slam into them with enough force to kill them lol"
>no that's retarded
>"waah you're a shit DM"

any player should realize that, at this point, they aren't playing D&D, they're trying to play a retarded physics simulator with broken game mechanics mixed in.

If you want to break something, just go all the way and try to prove to your DM that the force of an immovable rod being firmly planted at a fixed point in space would destroy the planet due to the speed at which the galaxy and universe are moving, and enjoy your epic campaign that lasts all of 10 minutes