/ccg/ Custom Card General /cct/

Change the target edition!

To make cards, download MSE for free from here
magicseteditor.sourceforge.net/

>Hi-Res MSE Templates
pastebin.com/Mph6u6WY

>Mechanics doc (For the making of color pie appropriate cards)
docs.google.com/spreadsheet/ccc?key=0AgaKCOzyqM48dFdKRXpxTDRJelRGWVZabFhUU0RMcEE

>Read this before you post your shitty card!
docs.google.com/document/d/1Jn1J1Mj-EvxMxca8aSRBDj766rSN8oSQgLMOXs10BUM

>Design articles by Wizards
pastebin.com/Ly8pw7BR

>Q: Can there be a sixth color?
A: pastebin.com/kNAgwj7i

>Q: What's the difference between multicolor and hybrid?
A: pastebin.com/yBnGki1C

>Q: What is precedence?
A: pastebin.com/pGxMLwc7

>Art sources.
artstation.com/
drawcrowd.com/
fantasygallery.net/
grognard.booru.org/
fantasy-art-engine.tumblr.com/

>Stitch cards together with
old.photojoiner.net/

>/ccg/ sets (completed and in development)
pastebin.com/hsVAbnMj

OT:

Blech. I dunno, I hate this guy.

They can be at uncommon, bump up the power if you feel thats needed. Build around me-enchantments usually are at uncommon, and its very infrequent to see a non-aura enchantment at common, as they don't really add to the board in limited.

You can reword the text to a more standard formatting like
"At the beginning of each end step, if an opponent lost life this turn, put a quest on ~ ".
if you really want to keep it working "exponentially" in multiplayer you could rephrase it to
"At the beginning of each end step, put a quest counter on ~ for each opponent that lost life this turn."

Also you should reword the activated ability on the black one to just
"Destroy target creature", targeted sacrifice is something that is very much avoided.

I'd feel more sorry for Infinite Crisis if I actually liked the gameplay. Really, the best thing to come out of it was the art. Though people speculating on possible characters and abilities was interesting. Anyway, Nightmare Supes seems fine.

Seems fine I think. You don't have to target a card like this. Also, what is this spellshaping?

Dunno about this one. Though I have a feeling most people will just complain about it not being Snapcaster.

Seems too powerful.

Universal destruction seems odd outside WB. And why the timing restriction when you could use the counter mode?

Still don't get the Emperor connection.

Rolled 3, 3, 9, 1, 9 = 25 (5d10)

Let's roll.

Rolled 10, 3, 6, 6, 6 = 31 (5d10)

Black, sorcery, token gen, cmc 1, rare

So... Spoils of Blood, basically. Does this work?

>ult is not an emblem

you had one job

Rolled 4, 3, 5, 4, 10 = 26 (5d10)

Multicolor (RW), sorcery, voltron/buff, CMC 3, uncommon

Last one for now.

Red, sorcery, voltron/buff, CMC 3, mythic

Fuck. Yeah, I'm garbage at low-cost mythics.

Counter for combo enablers.
On-field 'counters' to use it at eot. Aside from color restriction, it's pretty much on par on powerlevels with Counterspell.

Also, how is this not Trump/Killary edition?

I would change his to combat damage. Otherwise, perfect.

How's this? Building stupid custom Commanders for my playgroup.

This is pretty bad CO kun. It's really boring :(

Not sure why black has such a reliable indestructibility. It's already off-color. If you want to keep it, change the cost to

>B, Remove +1/+1 counter from ~
>1B, Exile a creat you control

or something similar.

Make it discard, the costs are tight enough to have it enable GY and madness. Really well rounded card. Kudos.

I love this thing. Could I have the art?

2WW would be probably better. It's quite a solid card. Strong beatdown.

>Each player creates an X/X black Demon creature token with flying, where X is the amount of life they lost this turn.

Much cleaner. Marginal situations enabled by this wording aren't much to care for desu.

The swings.

That wording is iffy. Not really digging the multi-Berserk.

Hm. Just a cleaner alternative, that is both stronger, and weaker.
>[1UU]
>3/2
>Flash
>Flying
>[UU]: Choose one --
>** Counter target spell with a single target.
>** Change single target etcetc.

If you want to keep it as is, I I'd lower it to a 2/2 and reduce its costs to be an Ezuri/etb/Curio abuser/enabler, it's not a card worth enough to build around.

>Also, how is this not Trump/Killary edition?
Because there's another thread for that. And those cards usually never go anywhere. I've never seen people go as far as agree on colors for Trump and Hillary before the conversation just stops.

>This is pretty bad CO kun. It's really boring :(
Yes, it sucks, do you have any ideas for it? I'm sorry, but I'm a bit tired of being stuck on this one card and NOBODY HAVING ANY FUCKING CLUE FOR IT EITHER. Having ZERO REAL SUGGESTIONS like this is a nightmare. Sorry, but this has been building up for a while.

>Not sure why black has such a reliable indestructibility.
Kazy, where have you been the last few threads? Indestructible is being used as a replacement for Regneration. I don't know if it will be temporary or what, but it's Black for now.

>Could I have the art?
Not him, but sure. Art is from a game called Infinite Crisis. It's a failed MOBA using DC characters. As I pointed out in one of my posts, I didn't find it very fun, and make a note that I love DOTA.

>Much cleaner. Marginal situations enabled by this wording aren't much to care for desu.
OK. Not using "they" though.

>The swings.
What?

>That wording is iffy. Not really digging the multi-Berserk.
Do you have any ideas for a cheap voltron/buff Red card that's mythic?

>Dr. Strange
Have you considered giving him an impulse ability, then making it so he can cast cards exiled with him later on? Might adequately reflect his access to that crazy magical power conduit thing he can tap into or whatever. Like, he knows ALL the spells but can only access a few at time because mortal mind limitations? I dunno. The trials and tribulations of translating other IPs into Magic, I guess.

Hmm... A second, hidden hand? Like, exiling cards face down and being able to play them? I'll just need to think of a way to keep it more interesting than just "draw more cards". Impulse does seem like a good idea though, thanks.

I guess you could go that route with it. Just trying to lay some inspiration down, so if I did, mission accomplished.

Here, have some shitty cards. I feel like this is the weakest common set so far, in terms of cohesiveness and feel. I think I've been having a few off days. Anyway, my feelings on the cards:
>Craven Horderaiser
I like this card a lot but I feel like it has complexity issues as a common.
>Cindercaster
I'm not sure crossing Sparkmage Apprentice and the Cerberus-expy from Theros is a good idea, but I did it anyway. Hopefully the fact that the set has lots of equipment in it means the drawback is ample enough.
>Ravine Crasher
Feels too pushed. Maybe it should be 3/3.
>Imposing Visage
Not too sure how to even begin to cost this.
>Bathe in Flame
Probably too good, considering Chandra's Outrage. I was trying to find something between Shock and Lightning Bolt, since I want red to have a really good, cheap, common burn spell in this set.
>Molten Impact
Though, that spell I was talking about? That might be this. This also feels pushed, even if it can't hit players.

All in all I'm not very confident about these, but I'll toss them up anyway in the hopes that I get some good input on them and it'll help line everything up better. I have to leave the computer for a bit but I'll respond to whatever verbal bitchslaps I get over these when I get back. Thanks again for looking in advance.

>CR03
If this is the second time this ability has resolved this turn, ~ gains haste until end of turn.

>CR04
At the beginning of the end step, return ~ to its owner's hand.

>CR05
I don't think the drawback matters enough to bother having it.

>CR08
Being instant is pretty pointless

>CR09
I doubt you'd really get much use out of this aside from just impulse 2, but that doesn't really matter

>CR11
Same problem most opponent choice cards have.

>CRg01
Could stand to be a 1/2.

Decent card. Centered text looks like ass.

P/T is way too pushed.

Neat.

A new Phantom Lady. Trying something a bit different this time, basically Shadow. If this isn't good, I'll go back to Flicker and ignore offensive Hexproof.

monohybrid cards are both boring and unnecessarily pushed.

Horderaiser is just a convoluted token making enchantment

Visage: Impulse draw is pointless on med-high cmc spells. Making it impulse until your next turn like commune with lava goes against the whole idea.

Both of your burn spells are pushed.

Well, it's given me a few things to think about at least. Thanks again.

>CR01
I guess it's OK. Wizards seems to be OK with giving this to White, not so much with Red though.

>CR02
Eh.

>CR03
Why?

>CR04
Oh, come on, you can't even give it Haste? Might as well be an enchantment. Pay 2/R on upkeep to get a Goblin.

>CR05
Another big "Why?" Also, and I'm sorry when I say this, I hate commons too, but you go way too far with how complex your commons are sometimes, like with this.

>CR06
Eh.

>CR07
I'm still a bit surprised about how few LD ETB creatures there are. Seems fine.

>CR08
Name taken. First ability is fine, though weird at instant. Second ability just seems like something you tacked on to justify a bigger cost. If you want to keep the flavor, I'd say maybe make it an Aura with Red evasion like Menace. Or you could just make it a straight reprint.

>CR09
Kinda hard for me to see much use in this.

>CR10
I'd either make it a sorcery or put it at 1R.

>CR11
Modals don't use colons, they use hyphens. Also, really not seeing the point of this.

>CR12
Your wording is unclear. 2 damage to each or divided between them?

>CR13
Sorry, but there's a reason I'm glad Wizards stopped counting tapped/untapped permanents. Seems undercosted, very much so. The one from BFZ or OGW was more restricted and it was something like 3RR. And I get the tapped thing, but let's face it, most of the time you use this, it's going to be all of them.

>CR14
Eh, I guess it's OK.

>CRg01
RG for a bear? That's it?

I wanna make a land that adds a mana of any color, BUT it has to be of a color of a planeswalkers on the battlefield. How do I word this?

>T: Choose a color among Planeswalkers you control. Add one color of that mana to your mana pool.

It's not very pretty. And generally it's not worth land slot since planeswalkers tend to not actually stick around that long.

Thank you

oops. shoulda capitalised the P there

Actually, forgot. "Planeswalker" is a card type, and card types aren't always capitalized. Only sub-types are.

so i shouldnt capitalise planeswalkers anywhere on the card?

jesus im fucking bad at editing

Also needs to state what zone it checks the planeswalkers in.

Slight correction. The template for the ability would be Meteor Crater.

>T: Choose a color of a planeswalker you control. Add one mana of that color to your mana pool.

thanks for the assist

Pretty much what I expected; a resounding "try again, dipshit". I probably should have worked on them more before posting but I was in a rut and thought it might help kickstart some ideas based on the feedback I got. Turned out to mostly be a tremendous waste of time due to not much of it being salvageable, apparently, but at least now I know where I stand. Thanks anons. At least half of these cards are going to just get flat out redone/axed.

That much creature untap on a single body seems a bit much at that cost, but I could be wrong. The land thing is fine, though a bit on on a blue permanent, even if it costs green. Eh, blue untaps anything and taps anything so I suppose it's fine.

Well, it doesn't let you spend mana of any color to cast the exiled card, so that's okay I guess, but it still doesn't feel like a common mostly because I don't know that you'd want playsets of it in a draft.

Card is really cool, but the name seems disconnected from what it does.

I actually forgot to give it a rarity.

Happens to the best of us. At least you didn't post 15 worthless cards a few hours ago.

A twist on Redirect.

Hey, don't beat yourself up too much. I don't want you to get all dejected again and I have to spend a month encouraging you to go back to designing cards. Yes, some of them don't work at all, and others don't work at common, but many of the latter I believe you could salvage by just bumping up the rarity.

Seems OK I guess, though I think the ability should be more like Mirari's Wake, where it only adds mana that the land made.

I think the latter half should just be axed and just add a mana to your mana pool. Or like two mana of any one color a land you control could produce.

The way it is is just convoluted for a tap ability that doesn't make anything clearer or particularly interesting.

The second line should probably just check which creatures have counters as opposed to which ones don't.
>Each creature with a blacklight counter on it can only be blocked by creatures with blacklight counters on them.

Not sure how I feel about the actual ability.

OK, I'll change it back to just Flickering then. Now I just have to figure out the rest of the Freedom Fighters.

Getting pumped for Sun and Moon, playing through Y right now. Though I think I'll need a break soon, Lumiose City is making me nauseous.

Kinda interesting, though hard to really judge from a balance perspective.

>renamed Bushido
It'd be nice if they'd do this at some point, but if they haven't now, it seems unlikely. Engage is as good a name as any.

I don't know that you can fairly cost this at anything under 8 mana. Even in a low-curve deck you're looking at two lands, five nonlands, most of which will be CMC2-3 on average, for a total of 10+ damage at least. Then, you get seven cards. It's pretty nuts. I'd tone it down to four cards, or reveal till you reveal a land or something, so it can actually be costed realistically. It'd still be really strong.

I dunno if I like green being in the cost of the treason ability. I'd rather it be 2R or something. The green comes plainly from the token gen.

Have you ever considered giving her animate Forest abilities or anything like that? I've never really seen you do that, and it could be neat for her too. I realize her "femme fatale" aspect is interesting as well, but she does do the "giant mutant killer plant" thing too. Just a thought. I guess it depends if you want the slightly edgier comic Ivy or the more Saturday morning version B:tAS/Ivy & Harley comics had. I'm fine with either. Or maybe you could start doing different versions of characters, kinda like we get different versions of the same PWs? Could be neat to explore some more variants of these characters.

I don't think I have it in me to work on my set tonight, so I think I'll just be futzing around with one-offs.

I don't do many green cards so I think I'll try to focus on messing around with that tonight. Also, gonna go a bit old school on the names and flavor. as far as the costing on this, as far as I can tell, for 1G you can get a better form of the first ability, and the second should be okay considering Skarrg Guildmage, I think. That gives you a 4/4 for 1RG and no tap, so an X/X with trample for a tap for X G should be okay, yeah?

Something tells me just using something like new Emma's control ability would be a lot smoother, though not identical.
>You control target opponent during that player's next turn. That player takes an extra turn after this one.

I'd honestly just say "Lands you control have..." because there's nothing terribly wrong with granting redundant abilities if it cleans up the wording.

I actually started with that but liked how "Non-Forest" made the text box look. Also, more older cards were worded this way and that was sort of the aim as well. I can't blame you for it being a bit odd to look at; older cards look strange to me now too and I've been playing off and on since Revised/Unlimited. Curious if it'll bother anyone else.

Huh. Did you see this upthread? Parallel design trends.

I'm surprised the first ability on this has never been tried at WotC. It probably needs reminder text telling you you can do it even though it's not your turn and whatnot. Also, confusing for new players who don't know that tutoring a land and putting it onto the battlefield isn't playing a land.

Because it's just confusing for no good reason.

>I'm surprised the first ability on this has never been tried at WotC.
That's because you don't know of the little rule Magic has that basically says
>If an effect would have you play a land when it isn't your turn, just ignore it.

>305.3. A player can’t play a land, for any reason, if it isn’t his or her turn. Ignore any part of an effect that instructs a player to do so.

>Psychock
Yeah, revealing until you hit a land, or maybe two, sounds good. Or nonland?

>Ivy
>Forest
No, never thought of that. I guess there's a bit of a disconnect with me considering that she doesn't really hang around in forests or jungles, but in Gotham. I could give it a whirl though.

>"giant mutant killer plant"
Already did that, kinda.

>different versions
This is one upside to having multiple characters or similar characters. For Ivy, if I end up with different designs I like, I'll rework them so one goes for her, and another for another character, like Black Orchid.

I disagree.

Oh, missed that because I didn't think to search for it worded that way. I'll make the change, thanks.

Yup, had no idea. fixes that though so no worries.

So it's a scaling Necrotic Ooze? Seems fine.

>versions
I see. That works, I suppose. I just thought the different incarnations might be fun to toy with, like Adam West Batman and the like.

>Psystrike
Hmm. Till the first land could end up being for naught, so that kinda sucks, but till nonland is basically only going to net you good damage and card return if you abuse Scry. You might just want to make it static after all, just a lower number. It'd help with consistency.

>Psystrike
True. Doing this reminds me of the guy who kept posting that giant wall of Pokemon cards. Anyone else remember that guy? Goddamn did he piss me off though. Kept trying to help and he just never seemed to pay attention. Kinda glad he's gone.

>versions
Eh, I guess, but only if I get to a point where I go "Damn, I like this design, but I have literally no character to use it for right now." With the sheer number of characters in comics, I know that having leftover designs I like is going to be unlikely, so I'm not going to bother with doing different versions of the exact same character. Closest I've come is maybe two different aliases, like Doc Ock being Spider-Man for a while. Though, hey, I won't mind at all if you decide to do your own version of Ivy. Yeah, you keep saying you don't like making cards on other IPs, I know, but you sound a lot more interested with this than I've seen you when we discuss other CO things.

And speaking of CO, I've been trying to do Aquaman again, and realizing I have no idea what to do with him, again. My biggest problem is that I want him to spawn tokens, but I have a very hard time coming up with any design that actually justifies having Blue in it, which is really important since he's going to be working with Merfolk or Fish, both very Blue. I think one of my last ideas was to just spawn Fish tokens based on the number of Islands you control. Do you have any ideas?

Oh, and you mentioned Adam West Batman, so here, have this. Comic is Planetary/Batman: Night on Earth, an interesting little one-shot that features the Planetary crew interacting with a few different iterations of Batman. Also, going on a tangent here, but Planetary is an awesome comic. If you ever wanted to see a world where some of the most famous fictional stories existed in the same universe, read Planetary. (And don't read League of Extraordinary Gentlemen, Planetary is that done right.)

Personally, I would've thought from the name that it would have some effect that looked at the types you have among lands you control and the type of the tutored card.

>Pokemon guy
I remember him, yes. He made me look reasonable on my most bullheaded days by comparison. For every change you got him to make, he'd goof something else or do more than what you said/half of it and then wonder why people harped on him. Also, what color pie?

>bat spray
I remember this card I think. I don't recall it doing damage though. Maybe it's been too long since I saw it.

I think this could be an Instant probably. That's a pretty hefty drawback.

This doesn't need trample.

But it has it, so if it needs to be spendier, I'll do that. 3GG maybe?

The more expensive you make it, the less relevant the ramp becomes.

>Also, what color pie?
Ugh, yes. Though now that I think about it, it is kinda funny that the Pokemon TCG does have issues with Pokemon's equivalent of the color pie. It has a very hard time representing dual-types, and it lumps types like poison, psychic, and ghost from the games into psychic for the card game.

>card
Uncommon, really? I mean, if you want to make a version of Primeval Titan that's legal, go ahead, but you can't put it at uncommon.

>Choose three. You may choose the same mode more than once --
:: Create a 2/2 green Ooze creature token.
:: Put two +1/+1 counters on a creature token you control.

also true. I guess a smaller butt is in order then. Sadly, Elephants are 3/3 already, so this being allegedly "bigger" and the same P/T would be silly. Guess the card has met an untimely death in that case.

Well it's dead now so it's not really an issue. And actually I wasn't even looking at Titan when I made it; I was looking at Centaur Rootcaster.

This just looks SO WEIRD.

>Turn draw spells into free mana
Does too much. Maybe if it were
>Whenever a spell or ability causes you to draw one or more cards, untap target land.

Reach and the ability to gain flying is a bit redundant, not to mention "sharing" abilities is generally white.
A red name for a not-exactly red card.

So, can I resize a picture to certain dimensions in paint to make it automatically come out proper size when printed on a standard piece of paper, or am I going to have to ask a print jockey to look over my shit to make sure it comes out right? (7.5 inches wide, 9.5 inches tall, right?)

>tfw someone likes your card enough to steal it
I ended up going with a completely different design for Tatsumaki.

Inspirational Rush sure as hell isn't common. Too weird and too complex.

Her abilities are fine but why didn't you name her Tornado of Terror?

Think I've seen someone make a similar card, but in any case, Mind Unbound for red.

>At the beginning of each combat, ~ gains Engage X, where X is the greatest power among creatures your opponents control.

He must be saving that for the Plainswalker version.

You don't capitalize keywords unless they begin a sentence.

Yes, just look up how big cards are in pixels.