Standard MTG

No mtg standard thread? I even ctrl+f'd for type 2.

What do when opponent plays Fevered Visions edition.

Other urls found in this thread:

mtggoldfish.com/archetype/standard-rg-energy#paper
tappedout.net/mtg-decks/bw-legends-3/
sales.starcitygames.com//deckdatabase/displaydeck.php?DeckID=109285
mtgvault.com/mcflyguy/decks/uw-prison/
twitter.com/NSFWRedditImage

I also don't have the copypasta for standard, sry

I'm in bant colors so game one I hope I can kill them before it kills me. Post board I just throw fragmentize or natural state at it.

>What do when opponent plays Fevered Visions edition.
Sideboard appropriately.

same
i board out my tamiyos

yeah, as said your best bet is to start thinking about what to sideboard, really hard.

dump your hand and punish them for feeding cards to mardu vehicles

I'm kinda new, have my first trial this Saturday, going with budget R/G Pummeler.
What should I sideboard? I know I have to pack in some artifact and fliers hate, but I'm not really sure which ones to choose and why.
>Take down vs Clip wings
>Natural state vs Appetite for the unnatural vs Root out
I'm also putting in some Incendiary flows to burn shit, but no idea what matchups require me to load up removal.

Also, if my opponent is loaded with artifact/creature removal, should I drop all the pummelers and go full zoo with hellions? Or keep a couple in as a trick?

If you cannot safely get off the pummeler combo due to disruption it's usually best to side them out. As for what cards to take in your sb it's usually best to take what's best for your meta, but as you say you're new I'd say the safe bets would be take down, natural state, and appetite for the unnatural. Take down hits Avacyn, Spell Queller, and Looter Scooter, the three most important fliers. Natural State stops Dynavolt, Scooter, and Visions (if you've boarded into more of a midrange deck), and Appetite will cover you on any rogue Panharmonicons, Colossi, and Skysovereigns that might be running around.

Ultimately, root out is usually better when you're hitting the really big artifacts I mentioned than Appetite, but even a little life gain can really help against a lot of decks nowadays.

>Put Fevered Visions in UR Deck
>Opponent verbally announces that he's sideboarding for it
>I take it out for Tormenting Voices
>"wtf, why would you remove fevered visions?"
>beat him anyway.

Alright cool, I'll go with
2 Harnessed Lightning (other 2 in main deck)
4 Incendiary Flow
2 Lathnu Hellions
2 Take down
2 Natural State
2 Appetite for the Unnatural
1 Arlinn Kord (don't know if she's any good but one of my local players can lend her to me so might as well try it out)

I like incendiary flow in this meta, getting rid of scroungers vs mardu vehicles or amalgams vs Bx zombies is such a good feeling

Can I talk about MTG finance here?

How much do you honestly spend a month on the following related to MTG, obviously these answers fluctuate during a new set release

>cards (singletons, packs, booster boxes)
>draft
>admission to play (i.e. fnm entry cost)
>sleeves/deck boxes/dice/binders.. etc
>travel
>food/drink

I spend at the very most $70 a month on cards (about $200 every set, usually at the beginning), I pay $10 in entrance fees per week ($5 twice a week) and drive about 35 miles round trip between both stores I play at.

I have all of the sleeves and boxes I could ever want so I wouldn't count those under my monthly expenses and at the very most I'll buy a soda or cold coffee during midnight prereleases at an LGS, so my monthly expenditure on food and drink at an LGS is negligible.

Personally I prefer clip wings over take down since it's an instant and sorcery speed flyer removal can't hit smuggler's coptera and emrakul, though it is worse against spirits since they have multiple fliers, many of which are x/1's. As for appetite over root out, it's clearly the better card being an instant and 1 mana cheaper, neither exiles so there's not even an edge against colossus.

Also, plummet is in the format at the same mana cost as clip wings and is only worse against emrakul.

Per month?
5$ a week for fnm so that's 20$
20-150$ a month on cards, lets say 80$
0$ on travel food drink and sleeves typically

So about 100$ a month typically, but im also in the process of building a deck in legacy, which drives up the number a fair amount in the short term.

Ormendahl, Avacyn, Emrakul are all wrecked by Clip Wings, but plummet only hits Avacyn out of those, and only sometimes.

>>cards (singletons, packs, booster boxes)
I only buy singles for decks I intend to play. Spread out over the past 36 months? maybe $100 a month.
>>draft
$0
>>admission to play (i.e. fnm entry cost)
~$84 for weeklies, haven't actually paid in about three years though due to 'going infinite' with store credit
>>sleeves/deck boxes/dice/binders.. etc
$8
>>travel
$10
>>food/drink
$0

Perhaps it's my meta, but clip wings is practically useless for me. Between selfless spirit and queller the card may as well say "Flip your opponent's Avacyn." Which isn't always bad, but it's usually bad. There's only one guy playing a single copy of ormendahl in regular attendance, and then I run stasis snare anyway, which also gets emrakul.

Fnm entry for me is 10 australian dollars but that comes with a free pack as it ends up only being an effective 4 dollars (and less if i place well enough to win some more packs of course)
I have more then enough deck boxs.
I dont buy many packs maybe 20-50$ worth a month at most but i do buy at least one of the premade decks every set.

Not really a big problem for me as my expenses are otherwise minimal outside of magic but i do agree the price of singles is to fucking much.

I have also taken to buying all the duel decks.

>cards
Around 30€ a month, I'm making some new decks but still haven't bought any copters/avacyn/colossi/fastlands so that is sure to spike when I eventually do.
>draft
I don't play draft, so 0€
>Admission
Around 15€ for 3 FNMs plus assorted tournaments
>Boxes and sleeves
>spent like 10€ on this lately but I won't be buying more any time soon, my needs are covered. Kinda want to buy another playmat but that's just vanity.
>travel
1€ if I have to share a car, but usually 0€.
>food/drink
0€, I don't eat snacks. Don't perpetuate the stereotype.

>vomit your hand
>kill them faster then they are killing you
>get rid of it
>steal it (technicaly possible in standard right now in certain matchups involving emrakul and harmless offering and im pretty sure in slightly more scenarios with certain card exile effects as well but all very unlikely)
>prevent the damage
>heal faster then your taking the damage
>die
>bounce it

Why are B/R Zombies only running one to two unlicensed disintegration?

Dude. Dude.

Tears of Valakut.

Fuck Spell Queller, fuck Avacyn, fuck Smugglers Copter.

Laugh because u/r visions is the only good matchup for 4c reservoir

>think about getting back into magic after 10+ years
>look at players at my LGS
>look at cost of singles
>remember depression

my enthusiasm is already waning. Tell me about the decks you cats are running to pique my interest

Something has gotta give with prices soon right.

I am relatively new to MTG so forgive me if this is the wrong thread.

I bought a bunch of packs in 2011, and today bought the Kaladesh box that has 10 boosters in it. Got my local game shop to have a look at the cards to tell me what I have. Apparently I pulled cards ranging from $1 to $30 each (about 15 cards total out of 250 or so, from both old and new).

My question is this: Should I sell the cards worth something and use the money to build decks I want to play? Or should I hold on to those cards?

>me and friend do sealed for fun
>I shuffle the packs and make me 2 piles of 6
>we roll for which pile we get
>he pulls Chandra, new stormbreath dragon and like 3 other relevant rates

>i pulled jack shit

I got stomped hard and bought the Chandra off him, I feel like a cuck

spell quller can still 'counter' Tears

current decks are all trash. wait til next rotation to be h

hold onto the cards if you don't know what they are
too easy to get ripped off or discover later you needed them

This is a list of the cards from 2011 I was told are worth something:
Viscera Seer, Lightning Bolt (x2), Adjani's Pridemate (x3), Preordain (x2), Baneslayer Angel, Garruk Windspeaker (holo, art by Terese Nielsen), Thrun the Last Troll, Squadron Hawk (x2), Journey to nowhere, Precursor Golem, Liliana Vess (holo, art by terese neilsen), faerie macabre, Mana Leak (x2), Flame Slash, Arc Trail (x2), Invigorate, Rancor (x2)

Hold onto the lightening volts for sure if you play any modern at all you will be using them in almost every red deck.
And if maro gets his head out his arse it will be good to have them ready next time they are in standard

Preordain is banned in modern so unless you are planing to play vintage or legacy you can probably sell it just keep 1 for edh.

I played Zombies and just keep reanimating that Haunted Dead. That's the thing captain, i'm always Hellbent

Why would they need more copies?

Thanks friendos. I am going through my Kaladesh cards I pulled tonight. i am cross referencing with the singles list on starcitygames dot com. Are the prices there accurate?
Should I be looking out for any specific cards?
I am putting aside the cards that are listed $1 or greater on their list.

These are what I've found that I have and are according to that website at least $1.

White: Toolcraft Exemplar, Fumigate, Captured by the Consulate
Red: Harnessed Lightning, Pia Nalaar
Colorless artifact: Smuggler's copter, Dynavolt Tower
Land: Botanical Sanctum

Keep the copters almost every deck in standard is using them.

i'd actually say flip the copters, they're flavour of the month and will decrease long-term. $20 will be peak

True.
But they are very useful.

So at what point did the consensus swing to Mardu vehicles being better than Boros?

Because I'm not really seeing it.

No frontier thread but I know some of you played during KTK-BFZ standard. How am I supposed to play with this Abzan manabase that's mostly G, or GB, GW or GWB with the only not G spells being Gideon and Collective Brutality.

4 Wooded Foothills
4 Flooded Strand
4 Windswept Heath
2 Plains
2 Forest
1 Smoldering Marsh
1 Sunken Hollow
2 Canopy Vista
4 Blooming Marsh
1 Urborg

You get to splash black for Unlicensed Disintegration and Scrapheap Scrounger

also blue splash for fevered visions and ceremonious rejection in the SB

why would you splash for fevered visions wtf

Scrapheap Scrounger and Unlicensed Disintegration are the main things that put it over the top. Also the deck is built differently. It includes Nerd Ape and Cultivator's Caravan and really no Fleetwheel Cruiser or Skysovereign. It has a worse top end but it's faster.

So the idea is to get underneath the other pillars of the format, Flash and Delirium, right?

Makes sense if that's so, but I'm not exactly a fan of it. The mana looks like ass even with Caravan as a mana rock.

You just gotta lose some games to your mana if you wanna beat UW Flash and GB Delirium. You're going to lose more games as WR Vehicles to UW and GB due to having a worse deck than having bad mana in Mardu.

And unless you're monocolored, you have bad mana in standard. Even Tom Ross's mono W humans from SOI standard had bad mana where it took damage from Battlefield Forge ;)

>implying painlands are bad

Son.
There's no bad mana until you try to force more than four of a fastland.

Well be my guest and take plain old RW vehicles to large events. I wouldn't.

I don't buy very many singles. Less than $20 a month. I will, however, buy a box of each set when it drops for trade fun and card acquisition.

I don't draft anymore, fairly expensive, and I'd rather play constructed.

$5 entree fees per week.

I will, however, drop some money on sleeves/cases every once in a while. Maybe ever 3 months $15.

Place is about 30 minutes away by car.

All in all? Factors out to somewhere in between 20 and 30 dollars a week with my box factored in, most of the fluctuation is based on gas (stop and go highway miles are a bitch at times), and whether or not I need a couple of singles or new sleeves.

What are the weakpoints of B/R Zombies? The only one I can think of is a Kalitas from the side which removal can deal with. I'm intrigued and thinking about building them.

I don't mean to blindly defend RW, but it's just that for some reason it feels like there's a drought of material out right now on the format.

And so it just feels like the consensus was reached out of the blue.

And while I can understand the go-under point now that it's been presented to me, I'm still trying to figure out exactly what sources I'm neglecting that have proven that the Vehicles pillar of the meta is Mardu, as opposed to Boros, or a joint split of the two, or just calling it Vehicles in general.

Just saying.

How viable do you think a UR spells deck would be with thermo-alchemists, dynavolt, fevered visions and a fuckload of counters, draw, and some burn/bounce/removal? I am seeing the opportunity to bring back my old gelectrode deck from the long agos but I'm anticipating that it'd be tough to fit a lot of different shit in.

uh, insanely viable.
2nd at GP Santiago

I'm super new, thanks m8

not a problem, the deck is a blast to play.
don't worry about the chandras or the collective defiances at first, they're significant increases to the power of the deck but not necessary at all.
the deck is notorious for giving midrange the dirty dick 9 times out of 10, making it great for a semi-casual environment like fnm

I'm planning to playing something very similar to this mtggoldfish.com/archetype/standard-rg-energy#paper at the Denver GP.

How hard am I going to get slaughtered?

Cheerios plus Thing in the Ice yes or no

Should do alright. Know your sequencing.

you might actually win a few games. pummeler is an isanely strong card and hydra is a nice secondary win condition. as long as you run pump spells you should do fine

At least I can fragmentize a Visions...

tappedout.net/mtg-decks/bw-legends-3/

Any thoughts or changes? It's bullshit when this deck starts getting off.

Against control, you're doing 2 damage to them on their turn and drawing cards, it's really good.

yeah, the deck does struggle a bit if they dont draw into or get to utilize one early on, but it's far from an instant loss

Aetherflux Reservoir and Thing in the Ice combo deck ?

sales.starcitygames.com//deckdatabase/displaydeck.php?DeckID=109285

I just want to see this as a wincon, just one time

I love magic because of dumb bullshit like this or stuff like the Bird Brain deck that takes brain in a jar to new heights

I once lost to Aetherflux Cheerios.

It was great, I love stupid jank combo like this, and I'd love it if it can become more than an FNM jankfest.

I am building something like this.
I really hope i manage to fit stormchaser mage in i like the card but he did not really fit in u/r surge.

I've been watching this saffronolive guy's budget deck videos on mtg goldfish and they seems bretty gud. As I learn more about the standard meta, I realize that a lot of them are pretty much cheap-o versions of meta staples and not really as unique as I originally thought. I did think his energy fog deck was lulzworthy, though I imagine the amount of butthurt it would garner at FTM would be through the roof.

What do you think about this built ?

mtgvault.com/mcflyguy/decks/uw-prison/

yeah, its not always a great card. I've been trying a Jori En in place of one of them and it works so much better in my experience