EDH/Commander General

Old: →

RESOURCES

>Official Site: Contains deck building rules and the current ban list.
mtgcommander.net

>Deck List Site: You can search for decks that other people have made. Authors often have comments that explain their deck’s strategy and card choices.
tappedout.net

>Another resource for commander discussion; they have an entire forum dedicated to discussing decks. People often make primers, which go into detail about how they built and play their deck.
mtgsalvation.com/forums/the-game/commander-edh

>Statistically see what everyone else puts in their commander decks based on what is posted to the internet.
edhrec.com/

>Find out what lands you can add to your deck, sorted by category, based on a chosen Commander’s color identity.
manabasecrafter.com/

>CARD SEARCHING

>Official search site. Current for all sets.
gatherer.wizards.com/

>Unofficial, but has GOAT search interface.
magiccards.info

Other urls found in this thread:

tappedout.net/mtg-decks/channel-the-flannel/
twitter.com/SFWRedditVideos

No special specific edition?

I hereby declare EDH Braids Edition

Your waifu a shit.

3rd for best Wincon

I've always liked Gatekeeper of Malakir, especially versus decks that like to go tall.

You got that right, since when a card or a cosplayer i dont know of would be "waifu" or even MY waifu when I already have a woman in my life

Pic related is dirt cheap and such a good card, I recommend

Some people had just begun talking about Trostani decks when the last thread died. What did you find to be the most efficient initial token creators for populating?

>flickering reality acid

feels good man

which 2016 deck should i play first at my saturday play group? i was thinking the cascading one

>Playing at uni
>One dude is about to break this out
>Have class in like five minutes
>Oh fuck I have just the plan
>Pops it on one of my lands
>Scoop in response
>Leave for class
>Uproar of laughter from table

oh shit my precon deck just got shipped

If it arrives tomorrow Im gonna flip

Reality Acid is cool and has some cool bounce synergy

But personally I prefer Soul Tithe for aura kills

Wait, what repeatable noncreature bounce does blue have?

¯\_(ツ)_/¯

Fuck if I know. Use more colors.

Capsize?

Flicker =/= bounce

Capsize.
Venser + damn near anything.
Barrin

Dumb question, does this card let me pick two of any different colors or only just one color of mana?

>of any one color

of any ONE colour.

>Add two mana of any one color to your mana pool
>Of any one color
>One color

Gee, I wonder?

Hence dumb question. Thanks

fucking standard staples i want a Grim Flayer for my Jarad deck so badly but it's 20 fuckin dollars man

Give me spicy cards for breya. I already know about the saheeli infinite combo

speaking of Jarad, how many self-mill or dredge cards are the right amount to fuel the graveyard in B/G?

Life from the Loam
Stinkweed Imp
Dakmor Salvage
Nyx Weaver
Deadbridge Chant

woops, didnt read that carefully

Depends, I'd say around 5 since you have black anyway, and can tutor for the dredge cards that are easier to activate.

>friend playing lazav
>has a 65/65 consuming aberration in play and no other creatures.
>another friend casts act of treason on the aberration with a smug lo ok on his face
>swings against the lazav player
>lazav player casts an instant that goes "destroy target creature. Then that creature's controler puts the top cards of his library into his graveyard equal to the creature's power.
>mills him for 65 and kills him.

Fuck i gotta hand it to him. Mulling someone to death in edh is hard, not to mention without an infinite combo. We all applauded him for such a stylish kill.

You don't lose until you draw an empty library. Assuming the guy didn't have a lot of life, it'd just end up a mutual kill.

the guy had probably less than 65 cards in his library

How does my point not stand? You don't lose from milling, you lose from trying to draw when your library's empty.

Another thing that I'm giving a pass to because it probably didn't matter too much, but unless through blind luck, Consuming Aberration's power and toughness wouldn't have remained the same, since it changed controllers and counts opponent's graveyards.

You forget the part where the aberration was destroyed?

You're right, I did forget that. My bad.

>Milling someone to death in EDH is hard

Saw a guy at my edh night mill fairly efficiently with Phenax

it's hard because in most moderately competitive playgroups, people run graveyard shuffle effects or one of the old Eldrazi titans.

thats true. I understood the effect as draw rather than put in your hand

Dance of Many
Cackling Counterpart

That and mill takes too long most of the time. You'll usually have to focus one guy with targeted mill while you're general mill cards do work. People don't like to be targeted, so they'll probably start swinging like crazy.

I'm wondering, does anyone here have some suggestions for really mechanically interesting mono-blue or mono-black commanders or deck themes?

I currently have mono-red (Kurkesh), mono-green (Yeva) and am building mono-white Heliod, and it seems like if I'm in this deep I might as well go whole hog.

Problem is, blue and black are not that interesting as mono-colours. They lack the limitations of building mono in the other colours - ie people actually build mU or mB decks for competitiveness sometimes

I used to have a Thada Adel mU deck, but she was just killed on sight because stealing stuff makes people feel salty or some such. So any deck along those lines will probably have the same results

Found this just a little while ago looking for a neat commander myself, hope it's fun for you

I was thinking of building Tana/Ravos but Ravos is kind of mediocre, and Tana is kind of mediocre. I feel like Rith would do the same thing but better so the only thing it's got going for it is access to four colours.

Zhang He and everything decent to crank out tokens?

No, resist the urge to voltron your horsemanship dude, crank out more tokens!

spicy as interesting or spicy as in "I want to win as fast as possible"?
The first may be hard and interesting to answer.
The second, just google infinite combos and pack the deck with disruption/protection according to your meta.

So, which one is more important to you: winning in a casual format or fun/interesting interactions?

An extra colour is a big thing, as well as diving your commander casting cost / tax.

Rith sucks. Very slow and often people won't have THAT many cards of a given color in their hands, either due to lands, artifacts, a lot of colors or just a small hand.

Rith's not Darigaaz who is a piece of crap. Counts colours of permanents so should more than double your saprolings every turn. Rith's fucking great.

Understandable mistake to make.

Give tana auras that makes it easier to hit opponents directly.should be plenty in RGWB

Oopsie doopsie, sure permanents, but I still hate how slow those dragons are. Marath is better for tokens in those colours, or Gahiji to enable them.

My friends had a nasty mono blue Jin Gitaxias deck simply because getting gas and making everyone discard was a house, another friend had a low-key Thassa deck but let me tell you when it turned into a 5/5 indestructible it was a problem. Another friend's working on a Sun Quan deck.

Other suggestions: Chisei + cumulative upkeep, Heidar, Lorthos lockdown, Meloku cheese, Talrand spells and dudes, Uyo?

Endrek sahr sacrifice abuse

Rith looks fantastic compared to, say, Hazezon "style points" Tamar and at least has flying compared to Tana.

Yeah Marath and even the two-colour Ulasht are super awesome.

>Blue
Kaho toolbox
Talrand permission control
Sakashima copying & theft

>Black
Toshiro noncreatures.dec
Drana big mana
Shirei weenie stax

Just fun stuff. I don't like being that faggot that runs multiple infinite combos

Having to hit with her is a huge drawback, especially on a six mana creature, with a further three mana needed if you want to play, swing, and activate right away.

What exactly are you trying to build? Are you centering the deck around and her abilities? Just using her for colors and/or artifact theme?

secret rakdos tech. turns chumps into killers, one sided wipes into full blown blowups, and surprisingly works well with cards with the name aristocrat in them.

>Mentioning Meloku and Uyo without mentioning Patron of the Moon

tappedout.net/mtg-decks/channel-the-flannel/

Opinions?

>Blue
Thassa fatties
>Black
Horobi targeting things
King Macar with vehicles and other tappy things (MUST be all foil if you want to do it right)
Volrath the Fallen voltron/reanimator
Gonti stealing things would probably be cooler than any of these but apparently your playgroup can't handle that

Cheers for the suggestions, even the ones I didn't go with!

Looking for general comments on any of the options to help me narrow it down.

Shortlist is;

Marrowgnawer Rats.
>Krenko was my first deck and only deck for a long time, so I can imagine how this one works. Are there enough ways to get rats on the board though?

Rayne
>Mono blue fatties perhaps? Any decent creature in my meta is instantly blasted by some removal, Rayne goes a long way to helping make fatties viable in that situation

Endrek Sahr
>Are there any particularly interesting ways to profit off of the tokens? Not stax/edict.

Kaho
>Biggest issues are wincons and the fact that I'm loathe to play spellslinger without red. How do I go on the offense in this deck without resorting to theft spells or Talrand?

Shirei
>How effective would this general be without stax?

Drana Big Mana
>Big black fatties is ok by me, but outside of Exsanguinate which is boring to me, what else can I use big mana for in black?

//Not made the cut//

>Chisei Cumulative Upkeep: Not enough targets. Only really Mystic Remora (which *is* great) and Reality Twist which I can't use due to colour identity. Such a sweet idea though

Heidar: Snow lands are too expensive

>Lorthos: Too similar to a friend's deck

Meloku: I just don't see the cheese here?

>Talrand: Too popular

Uyo: Too similar to existing decks (spellslinger copy stuff)

>Sakashima: Theft gets too much salt around here

Toshiro: Too similar to opponent's Kophophed deck

A friend runs Thassa already. Likewise for Horobi.

I have tried Macar, just couldn't make it consistent.

Volrath: How do we make this consistent? I don't want a deck that is shut down completely by Swords to Plowshares. Otherwise mB voltron would be awesome

Gonti: Yep, salty as fuck. And your right, he does look awesome

That's pretty awesome actually

Shirei is the only one of these generals I own and the only non-stax build that works is a Shadowborn Apostle deck. You can make it Demon tribal if you like, or you can set up some comvoluted combos with Rune-Scarred Demon. I played it as demon tribal for a while before switching to stax when I moved and wound up in a more competitive/less whiny scene.

Definitely a cool deck.

Seems a little land-light but that may just be a personal bias.

Surprised not to see Krenko, Rude Awakening, or Master of the Wild Hunt.

>Endrek Sahr
>Are there any particularly interesting ways to profit off of the tokens? Not stax/edict.

Not stax/edict? Not really imo. Aetherworks marvel is fun, but for the most part you want to abuse gravepact, blood artist, ormendahl, dark prophecy, carnival of souls, flesh-eater imp, that sort of thing. Smokestack / death cloud / pox/ smallpox.

So I'm trying a creatureless build with Yukora at the lead, and Holy fuck it's fun.
Turn 2 5/5 commander and removal to deal with any blocker they can manage is great.

Plus the art is fantastic

I find decks like this incredibly comfy, something you wanted to try to build in a manic feverdream and actually getting it built in paper just feels nice.

Re: Volrath and consistency

The obvious answer is to run hexproof/shroud equipments, but there's more to it than that.

Volrath isn't pure Voltron; he also stocks your yard with fatties to reanimate. If you discard something large and get Volrath swords'd you can just get it out of your graveyard. They've used up spot removal trying to save themselves from death and you have a scary monster in play

You're also in the best tutor color and the second best card-drawing color, so getting the pieces you need shouldn't be a problem. Lots of Voltron decks run Steelshaper's Gift and Open the Armory; you get Demonic/Vampiric/any number of versatile tutors depending on your budget and the power level you want your deck to be.

If you still are too wary you could always try Korlash for mono black Voltron. Less explosive, less potential for combat phase blowouts.

This literally impossible in Sanctioned Commander because deck size must be exactly 99 cards and sideboard must be exactly 15 cards. You can never through legal game actions get 200 cards in your deck.

Of course if you and your friends play casual it's fine, but still difficult, to add over 100 cards to your deck from outside thr game. Spawnsire of Ulamog is the only way I know how and at that point you should just swing with inappropriately high annihilator
instead.

yo Veeky Forums I'm converting my basically unchanged mono-black pre-con deck into having Gonti as its general (because I drink your milshake). I'm putting in:
Blade of selves
Erratic portal
Conjurer's closet
Strionic resonator
Skull collector (there's a niche one)
Sidisi, undead vizier

Anything else I should look for?

Things like seance, mimic vat, armada wurm, angelic accord

Does Hanna ship's Navigator make for a decent pillowfort deck?? If not what direction would you take?

is it possible to make a Karona deck that isn't grouphug? anyone has examples?

Wtf are you on about? Hazezon is a way more reliable and consistent token generator than Rith as you only have to cast him, rather than cost and then connect. He also allows for a more streamlined deck, as you don't need as many other token generators and he can recover your board from a wipe way easier. Rith always seems like he'll either be ineffective or winmore.

Turn 2 with dark rit or?

Buddy of mine is making a phenax deck, it can be scary sometimes. Mill isn't the only wincon. He also puts down a bunch of creatures that grow with cards or creatures in all/opponents graveyards. I've seen him swing with a 85/85 consuming abberation. He just needs a bit more play experience and politics insight to become up to par with the playgroup, but the deck itself is rock solid.

I've done it before by accident twice, once on a creatureless Narset and the other casting the same spell twice on an Erebos. The spell? Pic related.

Temporal Adept, Time Elemental, Tradewind Rider.

Neat, stuff like that is what I need for Rashmi.

Does Silent Arbiter paint too much of a bullseye on you or does it successfully affect the board state long enough to do something meaningful?

>Villa Z closed shop
> Order I placed two weeks ago still hasn't left china

Should I panic?

My meta is too slow, and I want to crush someone under my heel with an aggressive commander.
Keeping in theme with the new commanders soon, Saskia sounds like a fun new way to do this, mixing elements of the Modern Chord/Pod Toolbox along with some generally decent beef at the top end (generally stuff like Prison effects such as Iona and the Avacyn/Sigarda combo).
However I'm not sure where to end the combos, and where for the goodstuff to begin.
I've also been toying with Primal Surge as a win-button if I built around it, or Armageddon effects to secure an existing board and just consistently beat down.
I always start a list then get frustrated half-way through when I get stuck and restart.
My auto-includes appear to be the following however, it's just moving from this point I always get confused upon.

>tfw spending money so I can stay competitive against tier 1 decks

I can feel my decks becoming stronger, i-it feels good

Damn. That is snazzy. What other spicy Rakdos tech can I add to share the pain with my playgroup.

Praetor's grasp?

>Ordered Oracle of Mul Daya from TCG on a seller that has only 10 lifetime sales
>took over a week to finally make the order "shipped status"

If it actually gets to me and the card is in the condition it was sold as, do I need to be harsh at my feedback? Or should I go easy with this newbie seller?

Just say it took some time to ship but aside that everything's alright.

why /hype for tomorrow/ here

just say it took longer than expected or something like that

pain magnification is a good anti hug card, might even prevent attacks due to risk of retaliation and getting hellbent, which you might not even mind if you are going suicide rakdos.

while googling the image for pain magnification, this spicy combo was first results. screw death and taxes, try play and die! also, megrim + pain magnification + any furnace effect = take a lightning or discard a card and your opponents hand size equals zero. that'll teach them to play blue!

also remember, lord of riots should only be played like the music of his people: loud, heavy, and metal. lots of cost reductions and multiplayer damage enablers go a long way. heartless summoning is a favorite of mine in my standard old innistrad block. yeah your stuff gets -1/-1 but you shouldnt be playing weaklings and you get a snazzy 2 cost reduction on creatures. can anyone say free myr superion?

>are there enough ways to get rats on board?
Look up Ravenous Rats

Unless there is more than one deck that goes wide in the game, Arbiter usually lasts for a few turns, because people just swing with their biggest fatty and don't mind. It certainly draws less hate than something like propaganda

My bad, I meant Relentless Rats

I'm playing a heavily modified G/B Ezuri, Claw of Progress. I was wondering if you guys have got some decent recommendations for the deck, and I'll try and get a decklist as soon as possible.

i cant really make any recommendations without seeing the list aside from common staples. off the top of my head i would suggest spore frog though

Inkmoth Nexus usually kills people really fast.

These are my wincons, i run Meloku as captain of a creatureless deck, any suggestions u should add ?

Breya + Nim Deathmantle + Krark Clan Ironworks/Ashnod's Altar makes infinite damage or infinite lifegain.

Blighted Agent is a decent wincon
Hooded Hydra and/or Chasm Skulker can basically double your counters and give you a bunch of chumps
Mindless Automaton for draw
Fertilid and Gyre Sage for big mana
Spike Weaver for lots of fogging