/hwg/ - Historical Wargames General

Stringbag Edition

Previous thread: Get in here, post games, miniatures, questions, whatever you like.

List of mini providers:
docs.google.com/document/d/1uGaaOSvSTqpwPGAvLPY3B5M2WYppDhzXdjwMpqRxo9M/edit

List of Historical Tactical, Strategic, and Military Drill treatises:
pastebin.com/BfMeGd6R

ZunTsu Gameboxes:
mediafire.com/folder/yaokao3h1o4og/ZunTsu_GameBoxes

/hwg/ Steam Group:
steamcommunity.com/groups/tghwg/

Games, Ospreys & References folders:
mediafire.com/folder/lu95l5mgg06d5/Ancient
mediafire.com/folder/81ck8x600cas4/Medieval
mediafire.com/folder/w6m41ma3co51e/Horse_and_Musket
mediafire.com/folder/vh1uqv8gipzo1/Napoleonic
mediafire.com/folder/bbpscr0dam7iy/ACW
mediafire.com/folder/bvdtt01gh105d/Victorian
mediafire.com/folder/b35x147vmc6sg/World_War_One
mediafire.com/folder/z8a13ampzzs88/World_War_Two
mediafire.com/folder/z8i8t83bysdwz/Vietnam_War
mediafire.com/folder/7n3mcn9hlgl1t/Modern

mediafire.com/folder/6jrcg496e7vnb/Avalon Hill
mediafire.com/folder/pq6ckzqo3g6e6/Field_Of_Glory
mediafire.com/folder/r2mff8tnl8bjy/GDW
mediafire.com/folder/whmbo8ii2evqh//SPI
mediafire.com/folder/ws6yi58d2oacc/Strategy_&_Tactics_Magazine
mediafire.com/folder/lx05hfgbic6b8/Naval_Wargaming
mediafire.com/folder/s1am77aldi1as/Wargames
mega.nz/#F!ZAoVjbQB!iGfDqfBDpgr0GC-NHg7KFQ

Other urls found in this thread:

mediafire.com/download/cghxf3475qy46aq/Wargaming Compendium.pdf
mediafire.com/folder/alj31go19tmpm/SAGA
mediafire.com/download/o5x6blwoczojmfr/Black Powder.pdf
mediafire.com/folder/n7jmdnlv1n0ju/Bolt_Action
mega.nz/#F!XsVD0KgT!twB1NWiFE3aKXK_O1EZ4pA
mediafire.com/download/uttov32riixm9b0/Warhammer Ancient Battles 2E.pdf
mediafire.com/download/ta7aj1erh7sap1t/Warhammer Ancient Battles - Armies of Antiquity v2.pdf
mediafire.com/download/cifld8bl3uy2i5g/Warmaster Ancients.pdf
mediafire.com/download/3emyvka11bnna1b/Warmaster Ancient Armies.pdf
mediafire.com/folder/d9x0dbxrpjg48/Advanced_Squad_Leader
mediafire.com/folder/28i9gevqws518/Impetus
mediafire.com/folder/cb83cg7ays4l1/Battleground_WWII
mega.co.nz/#!jxgCWTYD!FCp52DAqIUc-EM-TsRsWv7fB92nJ3kkzKsNcD_urI5Q
mediafire.com/folder/7b5027l7oaz05/Modelling_&_Painting_Guides
mega.co.nz/#F!C9sQhbwb!NVnD4jvUn5inOrPJIAkBhA
mega.co.nz/#F!b5tgXRwa!mzelRNrKPjiT8gP7VrS-Jw
mediafire.com/folder/eupungrg93xgb/Next_War
mega.nz/#F!SolyxarJ!GUg6zWBStfznr6BvYedghQ
mega.nz/#F!i1N3xZxL!C6fQ3Z8o2U0gtk5kdXuVcQ
mediafire.com/file/3upcfyjs90mtbyt/Osprey - CAM 288 - Taranto 1940.pdf
mediafire.com/download/k1n7x19o4mxfwky/Osprey - ELI 165 - British Fleet Air Arm in WW2(2).pdf
dropbox.com/s/cgwlqhmofivp5la/Hail Caesar Germania PDF.pdf?dl=0
mega.nz/#!vU0lWQbB!tJNBM15ndf8Y626Yru0Aq8AqKZIqF49eMkC_faOAEzc
mega.nz/#!O8MUgYTZ!prH6TF91bSsdvl8d_mvN1B47CZv9uv9MCtV_Jnc-FwI
mediafire.com/file/0me00a8vhytn9e8/Black Powder - Albion Triumphant.pdf
youtube.com/watch?v=7h9Wt7cZ_S4
kickstarter.com/projects/940158614/ww2-highlanders-battalion-miniatures
camospecs.com/Article/Details/18/how-to-paint-royal-black-watch-tartan
en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Reconnaissance_Corps
manoftinblog.wordpress.com/2016/10/26/early-1963-featherstone-rules-update/
manoftinblog.wordpress.com/2016/10/15/featherstone-simple-ww2-rules/
twitter.com/AnonBabble

>Wargaming Compendium
mediafire.com/download/cghxf3475qy46aq/Wargaming Compendium.pdf
>Saga
mediafire.com/folder/alj31go19tmpm/SAGA
>Black Powder
mediafire.com/download/o5x6blwoczojmfr/Black Powder.pdf
>Bolt Action
mediafire.com/folder/n7jmdnlv1n0ju/Bolt_Action
>Hail Caesar
mega.nz/#F!XsVD0KgT!twB1NWiFE3aKXK_O1EZ4pA
>Warhammer Ancient battles 2.0
mediafire.com/download/uttov32riixm9b0/Warhammer Ancient Battles 2E.pdf
mediafire.com/download/ta7aj1erh7sap1t/Warhammer Ancient Battles - Armies of Antiquity v2.pdf
>Warmaster Ancients
mediafire.com/download/cifld8bl3uy2i5g/Warmaster Ancients.pdf
mediafire.com/download/3emyvka11bnna1b/Warmaster Ancient Armies.pdf
>Advanced Squad Leader
mediafire.com/folder/d9x0dbxrpjg48/Advanced_Squad_Leader
>Impetus
mediafire.com/folder/28i9gevqws518/Impetus
>Battleground WWII
mediafire.com/folder/cb83cg7ays4l1/Battleground_WWII
>By Fire And Sword
mega.co.nz/#!jxgCWTYD!FCp52DAqIUc-EM-TsRsWv7fB92nJ3kkzKsNcD_urI5Q
>Modelling & painting guides
mediafire.com/folder/7b5027l7oaz05/Modelling_&_Painting_Guides
>Twilight 2000/2013 RPG
mega.co.nz/#F!C9sQhbwb!NVnD4jvUn5inOrPJIAkBhA
>Phoenix Command RPG
mega.co.nz/#F!b5tgXRwa!mzelRNrKPjiT8gP7VrS-Jw
>Next War (GMT)
mediafire.com/folder/eupungrg93xgb/Next_War
>Battlegroup
mega.nz/#F!SolyxarJ!GUg6zWBStfznr6BvYedghQ
>Fleet Series
mega.nz/#F!i1N3xZxL!C6fQ3Z8o2U0gtk5kdXuVcQ

Desired scans :
Black Powder supplements
Rank and File supplements
Harpoon 3 & 4 supplements
Force on Force supplements
Hind Commander
At Close Quarters
War and Conquest

11th of November in military history:

1673 – Second Battle of Khotyn in Ukraine: Polish–Lithuanian Commonwealth forces under the command of Jan Sobieski defeat the Ottoman army.
1778 – Cherry Valley massacre: Loyalists and Seneca Indian forces attack a fort and village in eastern New York, killing more than forty civilians and soldiers.
1805 – Napoleonic Wars: Battle of Dürenstein – 8000 French troops attempt to slow the retreat of a vastly superior Russian and Austrian force.
1813 – War of 1812: Battle of Crysler's Farm – British and Canadian forces defeat a larger American force, causing the Americans to abandon their Saint Lawrence campaign.
1831 – In Jerusalem, Virginia, Nat Turner is hanged after inciting a violent slave uprising.
1839 – The Virginia Military Institute is founded in Lexington, Virginia.
1864 – American Civil War: Sherman's March to the Sea – Union General William Tecumseh Sherman begins burning Atlanta, Georgia to the ground in preparation for his march south.
1918 – World War I: Germany signs an armistice with the Allies in a railroad car in the forest of Compiègne, France. The fighting officially ends at 1100hrs.
1918 – Piłsudski assumes supreme military power in Poland - symbolic first day of Polish independence.
1919 – The Centralia Massacre results in the deaths of four members of the American Legion and the lynching of a local leader of the IWW.
1919 – Latvian forces defeat the Freikorps at Riga in the Latvian War of Independence.
1940 – World War II: Battle of Taranto – The Royal Navy launches the first aircraft carrier strike in history, on the Italian fleet at Taranto.
1940 – The German cruiser Atlantis captures top secret British mail, and sends it to Japan.
1942 – World War II: Nazi Germany completes its occupation of Vichy France.
1968 – Vietnam War: Operation Commando Hunt initiated. The goal is to interdict men and supplies on the Ho Chi Minh trail, through Laos into South Vietnam.

It is 76 years since the Battle of Taranto, fought between British naval forces, under Admiral Andrew Cunningham, and Italian naval forces, under Admiral Inigo Campioni. The Royal Navy launched the first all-aircraft ship-to-ship naval attack in history, with a small number of obsolescent Swordfish biplane torpedo-bombers from the aircraft carrier HMS Illustrious in the Mediterranean Sea. The attack struck the battle fleet of the Regia Marina at anchor in the harbour of Taranto using aerial torpedoes despite the shallow depth of the water. The devastation wrought by the British carrier-launched aircraft on the large Italian warships was the beginning of the ascendancy of naval aviation over the big guns of battleships. According to Admiral Cunningham, "Taranto, and the night of November 11–12, 1940, should be remembered for ever as having shown once and for all that in the Fleet Air Arm the Navy has its most devastating weapon."

Codenamed Operation Judgment, Cunningham and Lyster planned to attack Taranto on October 21, Trafalgar Day, with aircraft from HMS Illustrious and HMS Eagle. This was later changed following fire damage to Illustrious and action damage to Eagle. While Eagle was being repaired, it was decided to press on with the attack using only Illustrious. Several of Eagle's aircraft were transferred to augment Illustrious' air group and the carrier sailed on November 6. In the days before the attack, several reconnaissance flights from Malta confirmed that the Italian fleet was at Taranto.

Given these events, the RAF advised against the raid. They were afraid that a failure would result in the improvement of anti-aircraft defenses of the Italian harbour. But their warnings were ignored and the raid went ahead to devastating effect. Italian anti-aircraft guns were confused by flares set off by two leading planes; these also successfully illuminated targets.

Aboard Illustrious, at 2100hrs, 21 Fairey Swordfish biplane torpedo bombers (nicknamed "Stringbags") began taking off. Eleven of the planes were armed with torpedoes, while the remainder carried flares and bombs. The British plan called for the planes to attack in two waves about an hour apart. The first wave was assigned targets in both the outer and inner harbors of Taranto.

Approaching the harbor from the southwest at 10:58 PM, the first wave of 12 Swordfish found 6 battleships, 7 heavy cruisers, 2 light cruisers, 8 destroyers in the anchorage. As they began their attack, the sky was illuminated by flares and intense, but ineffective, antiaircraft fire. Around midnight, the second wave of 9 Swordfish arrived over the harbor from the northwest. Dropping their ordnance, they cleared the harbor and returned to their carrier.

In their wake, the 21 Swordfish left the battleship Conte di Cavour sunk and the battleships Littorio and Caio Duilio heavily damaged. They also badly damaged a heavy cruiser. British losses were only two Swordfish. In one night, the Royal Navy had succeeded in halving the Italian battleship fleet and had gained a tremendous advantage in the Mediterranean. As a result of the strike, the Italians withdrew the bulk of their fleet farther north to Naples.

The Taranto Raid changed many naval experts' thoughts regarding air-launched torpedo attacks. Prior to Taranto, many believed that deep water (100 ft.) was needed to successfully drop torpedoes. To compensate for the shallow water of Taranto harbor (40 ft.), the British specially modified their torpedoes and dropped them from very low altitude. This solution, as well as other aspects of the raid, was heavily studied by the Japanese as they planned their attack on Pearl Harbor the following year.

Cunningham wanted to strike Taranto again the next night with Swordfish (six torpedo-bombers, seven bombers, and two flare-dispensers) – one wag in the pilot's room remarked, "They only asked the Light Brigade to do it once!" – but bad weather prevented the action.

Taranto has all the elements of an awesome wargame. The Swordfish were totally obsolete but performed superbly, and the Italian's confused reaction could easily have been more determined if things had gone their way. Most WW2 naval systems carry extensive rules for torpedo bombers, and correspondingly most WW2 aerial wargames include a naval element. This would be a real white-knuckle experience for both players as the British race to get in-and-out before the Italians can organize and fight back. Tally ho!

mediafire.com/file/3upcfyjs90mtbyt/Osprey - CAM 288 - Taranto 1940.pdf
mediafire.com/download/k1n7x19o4mxfwky/Osprey - ELI 165 - British Fleet Air Arm in WW2(2).pdf

This month's community project is a recon or scout asset, turnover is the 15th/16th.

Maybe I'm just retarded and I missed it in the OP, but does anybody have Honours of War by Osprey?

Sadly not in our collection yet user

I made some anti-recon assets: Japanese MG nests. Cost to make: $0 just a bits box and some old flock and balsa wood lying around.

I saw a Swordfish at an air display when I was a child.

The most impressive thing about them is how slowly they move without dropping out of the sky...

you should see a B.E.2
In a strong headwind they dont even move. Excellent for observation but hilariously under-powered for a 2 seater

Biplanes are hilarious sometimes. So much lift that in certain wind conditions landing sideways or even somewhat backwards is no big D.

I really, really like that painting, from an artistic standpoint. I wound up having to look up the painter. Thanks for introducing me to somebody new!

Its coupon time again:

Warlord Games

£10 OFF Discount Code:

ELECTION10-sa9e6d5s

Applies to any single Warlord Games product. Expires 17th November 2016.

Have fun guys. A shame the free shipping ended already..

Do we need any Hail Caesar/Pike and Shotte/Black Powder supplements?

I'm looking at either the Late Antiquity-Early Med army lists or the Germania Book.

Ok it seems we have the Early Med lists.

Here's a copy of Hail Caesar Germania. If someone could upload it to MF or Mega for the OP that'd be grand.

dropbox.com/s/cgwlqhmofivp5la/Hail Caesar Germania PDF.pdf?dl=0

We have the two army books for Hail Caesar and Devil's Playground for Pike and Shotte - thhe Peninsular one for Black Powder would be excellent, tho.

do we have the blucher cards for hidden deployment?

A question for folks who scale games down into smaller ranges: 1:1 representation of figures can be a bit challenging... So where do you draw the line?

My 6mm stuff for TY/FFT is largely 1:1, I want to do some Swedes and Poles for By Fire and Sword and their 1:12 representation is a bit too much.

Okay, bought Albion Triumphant vol. 1. Will upload in a bit, but if any user wants to contribute, don't pick that one.

'ere we go

mega.nz/#!vU0lWQbB!tJNBM15ndf8Y626Yru0Aq8AqKZIqF49eMkC_faOAEzc

My FLGS banned a player last night for being gay, which sucks since its the only one that does historics

If I were to buy the PDF, how would I go about uploading it?

Couldn't that player sue them for discrimination?

Upload it to Mega, Mediafire or a similar document hosting site.

What the fuck. Where are you based?

Private institution or something. Probably not

If it's an FLGS, that makes it a business, no?

>Where are you based?
AZ

>US
Well, that tells everything. Banning someone for this is fucking bullshit.

Well yeah it does sell stuff so I guess youre right, I dont have the guys contact information though

Thanks you two!

Thanks user

mega.nz/#!O8MUgYTZ!prH6TF91bSsdvl8d_mvN1B47CZv9uv9MCtV_Jnc-FwI

And a big thanks for this one especially

mediafire.com/file/0me00a8vhytn9e8/Black Powder - Albion Triumphant.pdf

Whats the whole story? Why did the shop owner even know the guy was gay?

You could invite him to your house to play.

can we not shit up the thread with some user's game store dramas
please
go start another thread about it if you have to

Here is another coupon. Just in case you want to spend more..

I only caught the tail end of it all, a lot of screaming about "faggots like you will never be welcome here"

Do you know a company which does 28mm butterflies to place on bases, like on a flower tuft or on top of a tree trunk?

I don't know if you've tried making some yourself from card, clay, or plastic?

youtube.com/watch?v=7h9Wt7cZ_S4

Does anyone have a pdf of Dux Bellorum by any chance?

I was reading Stalin's Favorites vol 2 (10/10 book)and what the fuck is this thing? It looks like someone took the gun off a tank and made it an artillery piece.

looks like the 75mm off a StuG or Hetzer

Finished reading this.

Can't say I recommend it.

It's reasonably well written, and starts out with a fairly decent account of the Italian Wars but soon reveals itself to be incredibly generalist in its overviews of everything. It spends vastly more time in anecdotes about individuals than actually describing how warfare changed. It doesn't have any maps, its accounts of battles are Tolkien-esque in their briefness, tactics, logistics and technologies get even less of a mention. It does at least spend a lot of time covering things with Sweden, Russia, Poland and the Ottoman Empire, but things like the 30 years war are somehow barely covered at all.

I'm going to go read some of the books the author continually referenced instead, because I suspect their authors actually did some decent research and I'll learn something from them.

This. 7,5cm gun with Saukopfblende without a vehicle.

I have the desire to buy a cromwell troop

Danke.

I was fucking around and found this new kickstarter for a line of WW2 era Highlanders. Looks like the company is new too, I hadn't heard of them. The goal isn't crazy either, so maybe they'll make it.

kickstarter.com/projects/940158614/ww2-highlanders-battalion-miniatures

What does /hwg/ think?

This was something I had to do quite a bit in college. Most of the time the articles I wound up reading ended up being more of an opportunity to find good sources rather than anything useful on their own.

Footnotes or endnotes? You can tell if an author/editor loves you by which they opts for

End notes, copious amounts of them.

That'd be a pretty fun force to collect. I'd hate painting all that tartan though. Still, 60USD for the whole lot + all the stretch figs is pretty damn cheap for what you're getting. Dammit, I shouldn't have checked the pledge prices, lol.

Hate that shit. It's a pain in the ass flipping back and forth in the damn book. Copious notes are good, but I like them presented where I can refer to them in context.

Painting a tartan might be a fun challenge. I don't get very many opportunities to try something like that. It's got me wondering about color combinations I could try too, pretty tempting.

I painted a kilt for my British 8th army recently. I decided to go with my family clan colors - Johnston.
You can't really tell at 1/72 - just looks dark green from a distance.

The Black Watch tartan would probably be a popular choice.

Yeah, those both look pretty fun to paint, even if you could only really see the fine details up close. But I imagine the dark green and black tones would contrast nicely to some of the flesh and the belt colors.

Who's your favourite historian? I'm about to start reading some Jeremy Black(european warfare in a global context). Anyone have some fresh hot opinions for me before I start?

I really like that particular tartan. Not a fan of my family tartan (MacPhee).

I posted this last time we talked about tartan, still pertinent as it's a pretty good tutorial.

camospecs.com/Article/Details/18/how-to-paint-royal-black-watch-tartan

Jeremy's aight, but Ian Mortimer's pretty sweet too. Avoided lectures by both of them in favour of more Medieval modules when I was an undergraduate. Regret it now.

I'm more partial to the bright Tartans myself. Makes it pop a bit more against the usual greens/grays/khakis of the uniform.

Shit, know I'm seriously thinking about backing that KS.

I'm a Campbell, so this is my family Tartan. Pretty dope.

I'm trying to work out a way to buy more figs that aren't ships or X-wing stuff and not get kicked out of my house. I'm not sure I can manage it right now, but dammed if I don't want to.

I imagine a squad of highlanders wouldn't be nearly as bad as a ship in terms of size. Maybe yeah if you went and got the full platoon tier.

My neck broke.

If I were talking large scale models with lovely etched brass and cast metal gubbins, most definitely. My ships tend to be pretty cheap individually. Still, even at the highest level that's still a really good deal. I find myself wondering what sorts of armored cars and other light vehicles might have been attached to Highlanders regiments. Anybody able to shed some light on that?

If they were a recon regiment (of which there were highlanders):

Bren Gun Carriers and light reconnaissance cars, such as the Humber Light Reconnaissance Car. The assault troops were composed of lorried infantry and were called up when enemy resistance needed to be overcome. Later in the war, more efficient and well-armed armoured cars such as the Humber Armoured Car, Daimler Armoured Car, Staghound and Greyhound augmented the light reconnaissance cars in scout troops

en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Reconnaissance_Corps

>and not get kicked out of my house.
unless you can't make rent, or dont have space, whose business is it what you buy?

Basically this. I really don't get people whose spouse or anything dictates what he can buy. Shit, it's my money, rest of my money goes into food and shit, why the fuck can't I spend my money on what I want. Yeah, sure that 30th pair of shoes has much more use than a third Sherman.

do we have army lists for Ostfront?

Mostly significant other, and "space vs how often does it get used". When you don't get out that often to actually push minis around a table, it's harder to justify purchasing more and taking up more space rather than working through your backlog. To be perfectly fair, she talks her self out of buying herself stuff for the same reasons, so it's not like one of us is exactly being deprived of shit we want while the other goes hogwild. I've tried to talk her into buying things before that I thought she would enjoy or look good in, and she tells me no, she doesn't need it.

So because she doesn't buy anything, neither should you.

Great. A life of loneliness, fleshlights and cheap whores look better and better by every moment.

Never said that the two of us don't buy things at all. It's more of a case of not going apeshit crazy and having 40lbs of unpainted metal or that 30th pair of shoes. We just like to enjoy the shit we actually have, rather than accumulating more and more stuff that just sits in boxes. You're misunderstanding the situation if you think it's something that's been forced on me.

You sure sound like a fun and reasonable individual

we dont seem to have the ostfront anything. Which lists were you looking for? The Quick-fire rules have simplified lists for US, German, Soviets and British and they're free

Speak for yourself mate.

We appreciate your "chosen" celibacy. it is probably better for everyone if you don't polute the genepool

You seem to project an awfully lot based on a single comment.

What are the 15mm plastics from PSC like? Looking at grabbing a couple of boxes for platoon level stuff.

So, SLRs and Warrior AFVs together - how improbable would this be? From what I know the SA80 started to replace the L1A1 in 1985, but took around a decade to completely switch over to. The Warrior was put into service in 1988, but some were in testing in 1984, and in case of a "Cold War Gone Hot" scenario I guess it'd have been pushed into service earlier. Mostly asking this because getting Warriors instead of FV432s is much easier and I trust Revell's plastics more than random resins from Britannia that apparently suffers from quite a few bubbles.

really? I thought my conclusions were pretty reasonable.

what was I projecting?

>"Cold War Gone Hot" scenario I guess it'd have been pushed into service earlier.

I never really understand this assertion because it's kinda the exact opposite of what's logical: continuing production of what already works and actually has production lines and spare parts available.

Also yes, Britannia's resin casting is dogshit tier. The amount of work they need to make them not crap is better spent just buying some more expensive die-cast stuff from wherever or tracking down model kits. You will quite easily spend more time filling holes and making stuff presentable than it would to just put together a 1:72/1:76 kit.

Well, the technology was there, they just fucked around for a while till it was pushed to the units. It used the same chassis as the FV432, so had all the spare parts available I guess, just with a turret. Since there wasn't really an actual war, I guess switching armor wasn't as urgent.

Going to my 3rd Blucher tournament next month.

Cannot wait for some dickhead who just masses Russian artillery wins the whole thing again.

Infantry is alright, not as good as battlefronts plastic infantry, but the newer stuff might be better.
Vehicles are generally very good, although Id say that Battlefronts plastics are generally slightly better, but for a little extra cost.
Zvezda 15s are also pretty good for the cost.

Just been giving "La Belle Epoque” a quick flick through, how well does the 'Memoir 44'esque with a hex board + 1/72 plastics work for wars such as the Franco-Prussian War and the Russo-Turkish War(s)?

>murray tartan
>dont know which one
>both rough patterns to paint

shite

>playing games where this can happen

Blucher looks pretty based as a system. Perhaps they just need some army list restrictions.

> Gordon
> Mostly just blue with green bits

not2bad

This is not an argument thread or an insult thread

Lookin' fiiiine

My Poilu are pretty much done too. Just gotta paint the detritus in on the bases and decide if I want to do a gloss coat on the mud or keep it flat.
I like the walking wounded minis, but the star is the pigeon signaler - I named the pigeon speckled jim. The shot of the pigeon guy is extreme close up, so you'd probably never see it that close unless under a magnifying glass - you can see the paint cracking which I'm not sure why that happens. possibly cheap paints, possibly lack of priming.

Whats the correct name for a pigeon signaler guy anyway?

Just counter with British Light Calvary, it will be magnificent.

It technically kind of worked for Light Brigade

Bases could use a drybrush, but they look neat.

Hey guys, listen, I need your help.

Do any of you have links to 1/48 Soviet artillery producers? I've scoured the internet, and the best I can find is a 1/48 UM M1939 AA gun, and a 1/35 ML-20 Howitzer. Everything else is 1/56 or higher, or lighter pieces like the ZiS 3 and M1897.

I'm building a early-war Soviet force for Bolt Action, and I want to make it strict late 1941. I'd REALLY like an A-19 gun.

Help me out brothers.

If you have 1:56 options, why not use that? Since that actually matches 28mm reasonably unlike 1:48 which is oversized.

Depends if it's just noting a reference or the note actually adds some information or is a comment on something. If it's the former dumping them at the end is great. If the author has additional information or comments I like them at the bottom of the page.

For writing I like the format used in most papers such as "blah blah blah (Hutton, 1785)

Chicago/Turabian? I prefer it too, it was a hell of a lot more intuitive to use than MLA or APA.

The 1:56 options are a D-1 gun from Bandai, but it only appears every so often in Ebay auctions, and a B-4 in resin, but I forgot where I saw that.

The reason I was looking for 1:48 for the A-19 is more for the fact that I want it a little bulkier. In real life pictures of men near to it shows it size, while 1:56 scale for artillery isn't 'quite' big enough if you know what I mean. A good example of this is the ZiS-3 from Warlord, that, since I've examined one in real life, is too slim and a little short.

Every bonus or negative in the game adds or removes points from unit cost except, for a reason no one is quite sure, Russian artillery who get a pretty significant bonus and cost the same as everyone elses. I suppose it's also true of the Spanish, who are worse but cost the same, not that anyone uses them anyway.

I've still always had fun at the tournaments, most people make historically reasonable lists, but a Russian has always topped the table and I don't think it's a fluke that the army performing best is the one with a free upgrade so to speak.

What said.

Also, if you need more tanks, Laser Cut Card can do some in 1:72 for pretty cheaply.

Also, I'm really liking the look of figures based together for some reason. I have my WW1 and WW2 figures based together, but they have a strange appeal to me.

I've been buying and reading old wargaming books lately. I know there's a PDF, and I'd read it, but it never really sank in for me how much of a goddamn mess Featherstone's Complete Wargaming is. I mean, damn, dude. Editing. Sidebars discuss topics seemingly at random, and even though it's clearly a book with bits and pieces taken from elsewhere there's no excuse to then mix them up quite so badly. Still a neat read.

His older Wargames is a damn good book, though. The Close Wars appendix is a nice little set of simple skirmish rules that I'll have to break out some time.

Brig. Young's Charge! is an interesting old set of Horse & Musket rules, a lot like Grant's The War Game (which has been scanned and posted in this thread). It's entertainingly written, perhaps more so than The War Game, although the rules are understandably pretty damn similar. I'd give the edge to Grant for explaining his reasoning for various things, but I am looking forward to getting hold of some of the later editions and other material he's written.

I also came across manoftinblog.wordpress.com/2016/10/26/early-1963-featherstone-rules-update/ and manoftinblog.wordpress.com/2016/10/15/featherstone-simple-ww2-rules/ - he's scanned 13 pages in which Featherstone lays out Ancients, Horse & Musket, and Modern (WW2) rules, which are basically as simple as they get but still look fun. Argh, I need to paint my SYW.

I picked up Grant's Programmed Wargames Scenarios, too. It's... interesting. There are a bunch of scenarios. You pick one, pick a map (assuming a 6x4 table, there are three choices for each 2x4 section, so you can randomise it), pick from a selection of force lists for each side, and either Just Play or turn to the programmed section. You can run either or both sides this way - it gives you battle plans, and deployment/formation lines based on the map. Haven't had a chance to play any yet.