Exalted General

>What is Exalted?
An epic high-flying role-playing game about reborn god-heroes in a world that turned on them.
Start here: theonyxpath.com/category/worlds/exalted/

>That sounds cool, how can I get into it?
Read the 3e core book (link below). For the basics of combat, read this tutorial. It'll get you familiar with most of the mechanics.
forum.rpg.net/showthread.php?769761-Exalted-3E-Combat-301.

>How do I find a group?
Roll20 and the Game Finder General here on Veeky Forums. With the new edition, though, chances are more games will crop up.

>What's with the slow release schedule?
Onyx Path is run by raksha who have only a vague concept of human time.

Resources for Third Edition:

>Final 3E Core Release:
mega.nz/#!ctgxyJaC!ygkrLnFsrnBJzIUZY-dJsMfyFrhFQgDsQuuo52fcW0I
mediafire.com/download/q51qw8skdw1rg15/Exalted_3e_Core.pdf
>Backer Charm Book:
mediafire.com/download/x7i7p5c4rm7kacq/Backer_Charms_Plain_Text.pdf

>Frequently updated Character Sheet with Formulas and Autofill
docs.google.com/spreadsheets/d/18FYdnXLYj0JnBNxNSGIZyi_FZcg085qCyUYoCEtac_8
>General Homebrew dumping folder:
drive.google.com/folderview?id=0ByD2BL6J89NiQzdCWWFaY0c5Mkk&usp=sharing
>Collection of old 3e Materials, including comics and fiction anthologies:
mediafire.com/folder/t2arqtqtyyt28/Exalted_3Leak
>Charm Trees:
Solar Charms: imgur.com/a/q6Vbc
Martial Arts: imgur.com/a/mnQDe
Evocations: imgur.com/a/TYKE4

>Resources for Previous Editions:
pastebin.com/raw/EL3RTeB1

Other urls found in this thread:

miketilly.com/exalted/diceroller.html
i.gyazo.com/d8313e6120dd452a90cc3dec00123118.png
i.gyazo.com/a663883eefdcbef80215f89feac593d5.png
i.gyazo.com/748d197952289a64667ab827eb86c306.png
twitter.com/SFWRedditGifs

And since I started the general this time...

Posting up Exalted: Blood and Fire for the new thread.

>Blood and Fire? What's that?
A rules hack for running Exalted using Cortex Plus Heroic, the same system as Marvel Heroic Roleplaying and Fantasy Heroic Roleplaying.

>Why should I use it?
Because it's loads simpler than the Storyteller system, with a greater narrative emphasis and a flexible power system that lets you create your own character however you want to.

>Are you trying to compete with Storyteller?
No, I'm just providing an alternative for people that like the setting but don't like the system.

>Is the game complete?
Basically. There are still occasional minor revisions happening, but the game is a complete system. You still need the Exalted setting books to understand the world, though.

>I don't understand thing.
Well, I'm in the general most of the time, so if you have a question, you can reply to this post. I'll probably get to it before the thread collapses.

Dead game, dead general, dead company

There's a 300+ Exalted General in the archive. Attention for it comes and goes.

>Dead game
you couldn't be more wrong. Not everyone plays just dnd.
>dead general
well going for a slow death toward page 11.
>dead company
well you can't expect to get big sales for the 3rd time when you are selling the same product. They made 30+ books for 1st and 30+ books for 2nd edition. During that time some people decided to stay with the one they liked and some transferred to a new edition.

Same thing happened to other game lines. D&D for example. With every edition sales dropped by the time product was coming to its end.

Also they should take general approach Paizo does with their pathfinder. Smaller scale products on regular basis each month.

Paizo has full time employees instead of freelancers, and a lot more people working on Pathfinder then there are Exalted devs

GURPS is also full of freelancers but they still make small products on monthly basis. If you want your game line to remain relevant you need to keep people interested.

once deadly beastman mutations are set they're set right? no changing them?

Have any descriptions of fighting the primordials been written? Having flashbacks too it could be super interesting.

There have been some short references here and there (Queen Merela killed a Primordial with her bare hands, for example) but since She Who Lives In Her Name blasted 9/10s of reality after the war ended people can't remember it properly.

>rules hack
Just call it what it is, homebrew.

Merela strangled one to death; Oramus got routed by a lone Solar who had Exalted a few years prior and then got locked inside himself some time later; an Army of Terrestrials led by a Solar hid in Mardukths shadow in order to abush him; The Lidless Eye That Sees suffered Fetich Death, five Solars slew the White Ram, causing him to become Sacheverell. Four of those Solars died and the other became the first Akuma.

Just a few bits and bites of info, likely to emphasize that despite all their power, the Exalts needed to wage an all out war in order to win.

Don't forget that the solar who killed Adrián's fetich, making it become Adorjan, was dreamraped by her to make her pregnant, birthing 7 daughters.

they try not to mention it directly. they claim it's to keep it mysterious and magical, that they don't want to ruin your sandbox even though rule zero says to feel free to discard anything you don't like anyway....

I think it's more just lazy writing.
similar to how the old 3 spheres cataclysm let them weasel out with "the previous age was so grand you don't even know because some of the concepts that made it possible were destroyed at the end"

she blasted a small fraction and some important concepts(i like to think the world wasn't always flat and bordering directly onto the wyld for example. that it used to have space and be round), the 9/10ths thing was what the wyld and contagon ate

>The Lidless Eye That Sees suffered Fetich Death, five Solars slew the White Ram, causing him to become Sacheverell. Four of those Solars died and the other became the first Akuma.
I think you may be mixing them up. The Primordial that Gorol killed became a Neverborn.

what lunar knacks would you need to turn into a cthrita? does it count as a normal creature? wyld? what?

Fighting a Primordial is an incredibly mind-bending experience. It would be like fighting a whole world while you were inside it. Most of the popular media depictions of a hero versus a giant monster wouldn't do it justice.

When the Ink Monkeys made the Three Spheres Cataclysm into canon for 2e they said that the three spheres contained concepts that served as the bedrock for Creation's existence. The Ink Monkeys explicitly stated that destroying those concepts meant Creation lost approximately 90% of its being, but not just its size or mass. It became less than it was in both a mystical and physical sense. The Shards book heavily implied that Creation used to be an infinitely large spiral of star systems with a likewise infinite variety of life, not a finite, flat plane of existence. When the Contagion hit it wiped out 90% of mortals and this resulted in a proportional loss of Creation's remaining turf. Then the Balorian Crusade blew past the Stewards and destroyed 75% of what remained of Creation.

Mind you, all of this is only relevant for 2e.

Alright, I'm using the character sheet in the OP, and I've got Resistance 5.

When I take Ox Body Technique, it doesn't increase my health levels, and I've got a blue bar to the left of them. I'm Essence 1 and Resistance 5. I meet all requirements of it, unless there's somehow an errata for the non-released CRB.

Good build for GSP at chargen? I want to be a good murder hobo

What?

Advice on good Infernal build for killing stuffs

>2e or 2.5
Build a Slayer with Adorjan favored, pick up Adorjan's Paranoia Combo charms and Malfeas's Perfect Defense.
>3e
Wait for Exigents to be released, then homebrew something.

I'm entirely new to this and have almost no idea what I'm doing.

I want to make a heavily armored guy with a Grand Daiklaive and go beat things to death in melee, but retain some utility with Occult knowledge.

What charms are good?

Which edition?

3e, GM's maybe sorta tentativel open to Homebrew due to lack of content but would prefer to avoid it or at least have it be vetted by people who know the system better. Whole group has no idea what we're doing at all.

One of our players is playing an Alchemical too, and has questions.

Just use anathema to create the character, I still have 7 points for Background, did I miss something?

Okay. First off, take 5 dots in whichever skills you want to take more than one or two charms in. In this case, you'll want Melee 5, Resistance 5, and Occult 5, bare minimum, and probably Dawn, Zenith, or Twilight caste (depending on which Ability you want to take as your Supernal).

For Melee, you'll want Excellent Strike and Dipping Swallow Defense as the bare minimum; for Occult, pick up Spirit-Detecting Glance and Spirit-Cutting Attack (and maybe go all the way up to Ghost-Eating Technique, and maybe pick up Terrestrial Sorcery as well, if you want), along with Uncanny Shroud Defense. For Resistance, you've got a lot of options; extra Health Levels with Ox-Body Technique, removing armor penalties with Armored Scout's Invigoration, adding extra soak with Spirit Strengthens the Skin, etc.

Additionally, there's the tertiary abilities to your concept like Awareness and Athletics, both of which have useful combat charms, and would fit your character (and having 5 Awareness is highly recommended regardless because of how Initiative works in this edition).

>One of our players is playing an Alchemical too, and has questions.
Alchemicals don't have rules for 3e yet, so it entirely depends on whatever homebrew your GM/that player is using. I expect that the fan community will probably whip up some rules for them pretty quick once Exigents comes out, though, assuming it ever does.

There's some alchemical homebrew in the OP that they're looking at, I think?

Yes. You get 7 points to spend on Backgrounds, which you haven't done. Things like magic swords, armies of minions, piles of money, doom fortresses, and so on and so forth.

Also, you're really going to want to raise your combat abilities up to 5, and you may want to go Strength 3, Dexterity 5, since Dexterity is the god-stat.

That's just a direct port of e2 alchemicals, IIRC, not taking into account the fundamental changes e3 caused. I mean, you can probably make it work but prepare for a lot of weirdness and likely very varying power levels

Ah, okay. I'm not really familiar with what's in the Homebrew folder, but in general, I'd recommend picking up a cheap attack booster and an Onslaught penalty-negator to become basically competent at combat, and then picking up charms in whichever niche they're interested in.

Also, Ox-Body's always useful in 3e, since it means that your enemies need to save up a lot more Initiative to kill you.

You need to add health levels manually, that's not automated

Weren't half the problems the Sidereals had in 2e the result of them being direct ports from 1e? Half-assing a conversion like that seems to be a bad idea.

It is for Giant, and I can't figure out how to turn the boxes blue.

Don't you fucking die I need answers.

>I can't figure out how to turn the boxes blue.
Click on the box you want to change, then click on the little paint bucket at the top and chose blue. Select multiple boxes to change them at once.

...It's not really that simple, is it?

Am I this fucking tired?

2e or 2.5e?

I tried to take account of 3e changes, hell that was one of my listed goals for the entire project. I've tested them out and they have the same 'feel' roughly as 2e Alchemicals (Weak near the start, really kick into high gear starting at Essence 3 with 7 dot attributes)

I don't have near the amount of charms Solars have, but at the basic level it should have most things.

I mean the most questionable thing would have to the Jade caste soak bonus (Stamina 7 + Superheavy + flaring at ESS 3 is 21 soak before charms), so I have been eying that soak boosting charm but haven't made that much of a move against it otherwise. My Dreaming Pearl Solar has roughly equal amounts of soak if she really slams it so...

How does this game work with fights bigger than 1v1? I'm so used to doing 3v3 or higher battles. A Circle fighting a whole five man band of Abyssals or the Wyld Hunt or what have you.

At first glance it looks like it would be a gigantic clusterfuck. Am I wrong?

Indeed, it would be a gigantic clusterfuck.

Putting the Fate keyword on them was the real killer. The rest was curbing down the power of their charms in addition to that.

2e Sidereals is a work of vengeance nerfing due to the extreme butthurt that Chung the players had.

????????

Ever since 1e Sidereals were released Chung would scream about Blade of the Battle Maiden in every thread he could find, especially if Lunars were ever allowed to take it.

In general though people were butt rustled by them. Shun the Smiling Lady in particular was a point of contention.

I always gave Ox-Bodies out for free to my players. I think I will be continuing that tradition in ex3 because lethality is still pretty goddamn high, the initiative system just drags the fight out longer than 1HKO.

Nah, Ox-Body is actually good enough in 3e that you shouldn't be handing it out for free imo.

>During that time some people decided to stay with the one they liked and some transferred to a new edition.

Truth. There is a lot of homebrew already existing. ex3 doesn't seem capable of handling big combats or delivering on promises. I like a lot of the clean up it did with the core system, like standardizing the numbers on Essence pools or the armor and weapon values in the panolpy section. I will probably be porting that over.

I think I could have been more supportive but they still don't understand a damn thing about a good action economy in TTRPGs or how to tone down the over-all lethality. Multiattacks are still in, and I find the combat resolution is even more of a chore with all the 're-roll x and y, z's explode' and etc.

At least there is no target number manipulation charms .. that I know of.

>.. that I know of.
Yet.

>At least there is no target number manipulation charms .. that I know of.
It's been replaced with a bunch of stuff that gives double 8s and reroll 6s and so forth. Not really an improvement.

Its still laughably easy to kill players or be killed by players unless you use their very bad bestiary. In which case most are a joke that I wouldn't even bother wasting time rolling dice with and let the players kill in narrative time.

I really dislike that, too. I've tried it both in person and online, and it slows things down noticeably. Online could be a little better if there was a convenient dice roller to automatically calculate it but there are none as far as I'm aware.

Been at work all day, it should be calculating that, I can try to tinker around with the base sheet but could you share it so I could see the exact situation, don't want a bug to stay around.

Na, treat them as insignificant opponents which do damage directly to the health track.

Makes fights more engaging.

>How does this game work with fights bigger than 1v1? I'm so used to doing 3v3 or higher battles. A Circle fighting a whole five man band of Abyssals or the Wyld Hunt or what have you.
>At first glance it looks like it would be a gigantic clusterfuck. Am I wrong?
Yes. There's a lot more tactical depth when you get beyond 1v1. In my experience 3v3 fights work just fine, as do even larger fights.

>focus firing one enemy at a time into initiative crash/death is considered 'tactical depth'

How did you get that from anything he said, you autist?

Isn't that what happens in your games? Not any different from any other TTRPG where you dogpile one guy at a time and make them dead before they can do anything.

>I am bad at this
>Everyone else must be, too!
k e k

>most efficient method of combat is bad

Maybe you're just retarded.

>he allows efficiency to replace fun
>he thinks everyone else is retarded

>Online could be a little better if there was a convenient dice roller to automatically calculate it but there are none as far as I'm aware.
miketilly.com/exalted/diceroller.html

>having to hold back because the system is badly designed is 'fun'

Tacking onto this, how does one track range bands in fights that are 2v2 or higher? It just seems like it'd be confusing.

I hope 3e does away with lunar tattoos

I heard that 2.5e debuffs GSP a bit but 2e is more broken in term of mechanic, like can I keep the power level of 2e (Adorjan PD is 3m) but the fix of 2.5e?

I like Exalted because it's one of very, very few systems that has rules for building nations, creating entire species from nothing, brainwashing people, and just generally do all sorts of esoteric stuff. Any goal you can come up with, your character can probably achieve. The only other games I can readily think of where you can do the same things are Scion, which has terrible mechanics, and Nobilis, which has a setting that looks like a complete clusterfuck. Can anyone name another game where your character's other abilities keep pace with his combat potential?

I hope they turn into pure upside that you can have if you want to, rather than something you need to not turn into a chimera.

No.

Otherwise people would beeline towards the Adorjan PD and you'd have the same problem again.

The issue for Adorjan is that Essence ping is dead, so this is a massive blow to the nuts for Adorjan users. Malfeas users have an easier time at least.

Fate, GURPS, Mutants and Masterminds, Mage (Really the only official WoD product I care about), Godbound (If you're willing to put up with OGL)

What's the best weapon (type, not a specific artifact) in your opinion

Okay then just 2.5e since 3e can't come soon enough

Fate's system is too abstract for me, and I dislike both Fate and GURPS for another reason: The system that tries to do everything emphasizes nothing. The mechanics lack flavor. I understand that both are modular and can utilize specific rules subsystems, but does GURPS approach Exalted's feel at all? Even with the right subsystem?

Mutants and Masterminds definitely isn't like Exalted at all, I've read most of the mechanical supplements. There's nothing there for building nations, birthing species, or exerting social influence that's less overt than brainwashing.

As to Mage, which one?

And as to Godbound, I thought that was D&D trying to masquerade as a shitty ripoff? I never bothered to read it and I could acquire it and do so, but does it actually feel like Exalted and let you do the same things?

>And as to Godbound, I thought that was D&D trying to masquerade as a shitty ripoff? I never bothered to read it and I could acquire it and do so, but does it actually feel like Exalted and let you do the same things?
Read the review on Daystar Chronicles and Fatal and friends

>Fatal and friends
>le paywall shit site
kek

Seriously though, I found Godbound had some interesting ideas, but it's just D&D in the end, except everyone's autohitting.

There's a repost on project inkless pen which is the first result from google, and free

New Mage. Its less powerful than Exalted and a bit more local, but an end game mage is still seriously powerful.

Can't speak for old mage. Mage20 made me recoil in horror so avoid that.

I was tempted to convert Godbound into 3e's rules when the Exigent book came out, but Scion 2e may very well be that and just save me that trouble.

So, I'm running a session tomorrow and I need art for two NPCs, figured I'd pop in and ask for help since the boorus aren't helping me out.

1.) Fair Folk pirate. Fancies himself a "pirate king" and acts as flamboyant as you'd expect a Raksha pirate to act. Clean-shaven, looks mostly human save for pointy ears and maybe some strange eyes. That's how I imagine him, although at this point I'll accept anything that looks like it could fit the description of "Flamboyant Raksha pirate king".

2.) Pacifist immaculate monk. Shaved head, also looks relatively young (early to mid 20s or so), and eventually exalts as a Zenith. Somewhat based on the Buddha, meditation being his big thing. Either Integrity supernal (for meditation) or Performance supernal (for giving sermons).

Pic not related, but it's character art and it catches attention.

Awake now. Make a sheet. Give it Athletics 5. Give it Ox-Body Technique. It will not automatically add to the HP levels.

Give it Giant. It WILL add to the HP levels.

TO BE FAIR, OBT has some conditional bonuses like if you have X bonuses, it gives Y, and it scales, but still.

Athletics? Not Resistance? I gated the cap of Ox-Bodies equal to your Resistance, if your Resistance is 0 it won't add anything.

Herp, I'm fucking tired as shit, I meant Resistance. I was thinking about the Athletics build I might do.

Right, turns out I've no pirates.

I on the other hand have a few.

It's working for me, are you sure there isn't anything else in the sheet? What's your Stamina?

These definitely work, thanks! Now all I need is the pirate, anyone else ITT have some art that might work?

i.gyazo.com/d8313e6120dd452a90cc3dec00123118.png

i.gyazo.com/a663883eefdcbef80215f89feac593d5.png

i.gyazo.com/748d197952289a64667ab827eb86c306.png

All pre-reqs met. Charm shows it's met. Effect doesn't appear.

Maybe a bit to dark skinned but still Elven Pirate.

Well, you aren't marking the Ability in the Charm tab, fill in the left most column, it uses that to calculate Charm purchases. Read the mouseover for the top of that column, everything that counts Charm purchases uses that column.

Why not just play Scion 2e? It will probably be a better game than this.

You already need some sort of board or system set up to track initiative as it swings up and down the roster. So in this case you would probably want to make it a grid with all of the range bands in descending order across the X axis, from closest to furthest away, then position that character's token or marker within that range band. Y axis would be initiative, also in descending order.

That is my solution anyway. At this point you might as well be using a battle map.

Oh.

Well, McFucking KillMe.

I just switched to zones, myself.

It's trivial to do the change-over, and it's a lot easier to organize (mentally or graphically) "okay Ten Thunders and the Ox Boyz are in the tea house, everyone else is in the alley one zone over."