/tgesg/ - Weekend Elder Scrolls Lore General

KRÜNCH Edition

>Tabletop/P&P RPGs
[Scrollhammer - Tabletop Wargame] 1d4chan.org/wiki/Scrollhammer_2nd_Edition
Discussion in #Scrollhammer (irc.thisisnotatrueending.com (port 6667))
[UESRPG 1e + other TES RPGs] mediafire.com/uesrpg
Discussion in #UESRPG (same server)

>Lore Resources
[The Imperial Library] imperial-library.info/
[/r/teslore] reddit.com/r/teslore/
[UESP/Lore] uesp.net/wiki/Lore:Main_Page
[Pocket Guide to the Lore] docs.google.com/document/d/1AtsWXZKVqB4Q825_SwINY6z4_9NaGknXgeOknOCDuCU/edit
[Elder Lore Podcast] elderlore.wordpress.com/
[How to Become a Lore Buff] forums.bethsoft.com/topic/1112211-how-to-become-a-lore-buff/

>General Rules
This is NOT /tesg/ minus waifus, so behave properly.
No waifus or husbandos except for Adam
Keep the squabbling to a minimum.

Previous Kalpa:

Other urls found in this thread:

youtube.com/watch?v=VOmovKPay4Y
tastetamriel.tumblr.com/tagged/hammerfell
uesp.net/wiki/Lore:Cheeses_of_Tamriel
en.uesp.net/wiki/Lore:The_Pig_Children
en.uesp.net/wiki/Lore:Corpse_Preparation_v_I
skyrimconfessionss.tumblr.com/post/66859460321
twitter.com/SFWRedditGifs

Praise Talos. Anyone got a game going in the Aurbis? My group is pestering me for one, but right now I'm not feeling very inspired to run it. Would love to hear stories about other anons' games, though.

What's the deal with the Buoyant Armigers?

Why are they only at Ghostgate?

What's up with the name? They float?

Are they as hard-line Temple doctrine as the Ordinators?

They're Vivec's own military order, and they're at the Ghostgate because of the place's importance.
Buoyant probably has to do with their (ideal) demeanour, as they're supposed to model themselves after Vivec.
They're comparable to Ordinators, but while Ordinators are essentially soldier-priests (in various degrees) dedicated to the Temple, the Armigers are dedicated to Vivec, and primarily seek to be more like warrior-poets. Ordinators are primarily Indoril, Armigers are primarily Redoran.

I'm currently working on an elder scrolls mod for dwarf fortress and wanted to get your ideas on making each civ's playstyle unique. I'm focusing on industries and workshops, castes, unique materials and items, and differing skill rates. I'm hesitant to hack together a magic system as they tend to be buggy and to be quite honest probably above my skill level.

You might have to be a bit more specific about what you're really looking for, because I'm utter shit at DF.

>get the idea to play df
>install it
>make a few attempts, always fail spectacularly
>play until i get bored
>quit
>a year or so passes
>the the idea to play df
>cycle repeats itself
My best run was when I decided to be a serial killer in adventure mode. Or when you end up in convoluted grappling fights with giant spiders.

>I am a Buoyant Armiger, a member of a small military order of the Tribunal Temple, exclusively dedicated to and answering to Lord Vivec. We pattern ourselves on Lord Vivec's heroic spirit of exploration and adventure, and emulate his mastery of the varied arts of personal combat, chivalric courtesy, and subtle verse. We serve the Temple as champions and knights-errant, and are friendly rivals of the more solemn Ordinators in our dedicated service to Lord Vivec and the Temple.

It is mostly conceptual at the moment, my current plans are
Orcs
>Increased size and physical stats. This will require balancing as size is a considerable factor in combat
>increased armor and weapon smithing skill gains
>nobility tied to military leadership
>unique weapons and armor. I'm deciding whether to do this via standard armor and civ specific orichalcum processing or unique armor types with standard materials
Dunmer
>Heat resistance
>bonemold, deciding whether to have it treated as metal or to limit what can be done with it with custom reactions using the bonecrafter skill at the craftsman's workshop
>castes based on great houses with corresponding skill rate bonuses and penalties
>various unique crops and pets
Nords
>cold resistance
>skill boost to fishing and melee weapon skills
>in leu of whaling, pressing fish for oil/tallow
>size and physical stat boost, less so than orcs
Bosmer
>ambush skill boost
>carnivores
>not sure if there is a way to enforce no tree cutting, but perhaps the home civ caravans could enforce vanilla elf tree cutting quotas
Khajiit
>ambush and animal training skill boost
>claws
>requires more research on my part
Bretons, Imperials, Altmer, Redguards, and Argonians all require additional brainstorming and research.
desu I'm still figuring out what's all possible. Industries and crafts that races excel at would be helpful. Pets and flora from various provinces would be good as well.

>Khajiit
Good luck with the ~12 sub-species.

You can actually vary body types via castes, It's going to be a bitch and a half to type all that shit though.

I can give you some pointers on Khajiiti culture. It's one of my favourite topics.
In terms of production, clothing and so on, here's some quick pointers:

You're going to have to take most of your pointers from the Pelletinian side of Khajiiti culture, as well as what's found in cities. Because they're the ones that live in permanent settlements.

Fabrics are important, barring silk. Khajiit traditionally wear clothing described as "abundant shawls", which probably looks something like a sari. This is mostly for the bipedal Khajiit, who also wear the Budi, a traditional shirt or tunic that covers up their torso fur. The shawls are colourful and patterned, as are the Budi. Embroidery and striped patterns have been mentioned for the Budi in particular. If you can, you wear jewellery and trinkets.
The more Merish subbreeds frequently get tattoos.

Following on the notion of fabrics, the Khajiit also make fine, colourful tapestries. Cherim, a famous Khajiiti tapestry maker, supposedly had several factories that just made reproductions of his work.

Sugar canes are important, for obvious reasons. Moonlight is absorbed by the water and caught in the sugar cane groves, where the sugar canes are used to make moon sugar. Moon sugar is used for just about everything, from seasoning to skooma. Khajiiti food is, in general, very sweet. Candies, cakes, puddings, sugarmeat and sweet fondue are all common.

Caravans and trade are also really important.

Interesting, I'm really digging the fabric trade angle. Silk in vanilla is only generated by hostile spiders afaik, but perhaps I could rig the new beekeeping system to create a sort of apiary silkworm.

>Anyone got a game going in the Aurbis?

Not currently but I've been wanting to. Just not sure how to go about it. Can't decide if I should try and adapt it for 5e or just use the UESRPG and make my group learn the new system. Anyone ever try to run UESRPG?

>reading redguard dialogue on til
I should get around to playing this.

>Redguard civilization is divided into the cosmopolitan coastal cities on one hand, and the numerous nomadic tribes that wander the desert itself on the other. The former have adopted Breton or Imperial manners of dress and architecture, modified with motifs and styles from lost Yokuda, and some have even reorganized their gods and tribal spirits to fit into the traditional Imperial pantheon of Eight Divines. The nomads are more primitive, either with trace-Nedic influences or stubbornly Yokudan, throwback castaways even to other Redguards. Devotees of Satakal the Serpent God are strewn among them, historically causing the A'likr border-states no end of strife. These revered madmen depend entirely on the charity of the other Redguards, though sometimes they rise in perilous bands, terrorizing the countryside in old Ra Gada fashion. Many, as in Rihad, go nude, rolling around in the dirt and nipping at the legs of passersby, "striking out" as if they were snakes themselves, while others perform terrible exhibitions of "shedding their skin". They have been seen rolling in the desert sand sidewinder-fashion in continuous, hundred-mile stretches, from Balhar all the way to the Nohotogrha oasis. The Satakals have never liked the Imperial presence, and have recently taken to harassing its civil servants. The Provisional Governors have been forced to run them out of the cities for the safety of its garrisoned troops and the native citizenry at large.
Snekmen > Ansei

I'm going to go ahead and mention CHIM so that it's out of the way.

Bouyant basically means 'merry.' Sermon 24 will help you better understand their order.

i-is that an execution?

Making a shitty mod for Skyim based on "the town mayor is a dragon" thread here a while back. Wondering how completely wrecking the lore I am/perhaps things to keep it more lorefriendly.

This would be one of the dragons that made a pact with Tiber Septim, gaining protection in return of serving. However, eventually Talos dies, and eventually the "pact-dragons" just promised to go into hiding and not actively bother with humanity anymore, and the blades would occasionally check to make sure of this on punishment of death.

Except then Skyrim and Alduin happen, and Alduin sends his lieutenants out to deal with these age-old traitors. This hidden dragon defeats the lieutenant, but ends up heavily wounded and the mountain he lived at devastated. Not just that, but over the eras he built up a sort of hidden recluse society for those who reject regular society. Among the inhabitants of his "village" are

>A bunch of Fire Atronachs/Orcs devoting themselves to a live of fire and smithing.

>A few giants herding a massive mammoth herd (also a big source of food to everyone)

>A seeker that observes this "society" and will give information at a price for its lord Hermaeus Mora.

>A Hagraven who has sworn herself in service to the dragon, despite the dragon's discomfort with this

Player would be contacted by dragon calling out for the neutral Paarthurnax, who can't be arsed to go himself so sends the Dragonborn. Player would en up doing all kinds of quests for inhabitants to secure a future for them.

Don't know if this has been talked in the previous threads so pardon me, but what do you guys think about the Dwemer in ESO?

youtube.com/watch?v=VOmovKPay4Y

pic and video related

>Dwemer in ESO
Is nothing sacred?

What the hell? I do play ESO, but come the fuck on, is it in one of the DLCs?

It's in the Orsinium DLC, public dungeon named Rkindaleft.

Ran a couple things in UESRPG. It's pretty solid; don't allow shadow mages and you'll have a pretty easy time. It's still a WIP, but the devs are pretty active on the subreddit and here if you have questions.

I see TESO continues with its horrible character design

I disagree with you but have to say that those Dwemer look pretty fucking cool.

N'wahs, give me some of your headcanon/conjecture/made up shit.

For example, what do you imagine Redguard cuisine is like? The province is pretty cosmopolitan but has a pretty high desert and mountain area that is poor for crops. How creative do Redguards get with their food availability, especially the few that live in bumfuck nowhere? I can imagine insects being a staple.

Tried twice over the Internet, and once in real life. Things never even kicked off.

Shame, too. I've never played TTRPG outside of a one-shot my cousin had. I'd settle for anything at this point, even FATAL.

I imagine they live off fish and trade with High Rock. I'm sure there are some fertile areas in Hammerfell that they can herd cattle and grow crops in though.

Shadow mages are more of a BBEG thing anyways.

zzz.... boring

come up with a typical hammerfell dish, right now

Civilized Khajiit also find the showing of chest-fur to be offensive. They always, always wear at least something.

Orc Baby Flambe

Banana Mash

I used to be like you, but I was lucky enough to stumble into a IRL GURPS group. I knew none of the people there, but I had a great time, and now we're in a fun campaign.

I thought this was going to turn into a Skyrim maymay. But yeah, I feel like it might get a bit easier when I go to a bigger town or get back into college. So far the only people who are down are my boss who I'm really good friends with and two ex-coworkers.

Fried chicken and collard greens.

>Flambe
That's more of a delicacy among Breton Sorcerers. Redguards tend to prefer Orc Baby Kebab, slow roasted over the ruins of Orsinium.

Looks like it.

grilled giant locust (size of a rat) with honey

Or an offering

The Blades would never let dragons live, even in peace. The only reason the Blades went along with Tiber Septim's deal with Dragons was because he was fucking Tiber Septim.

Also two more questions
Why does Alduin want to kill these Dragons?
Why don't these Dragons join Alduin?

>started up Skyrim again
>all the Whiterun NPCs are broken
>all the Windhelm NPCs are broken
>can't into main questline or civil war

Whelp, time for senseless murder hoboing...

Does that mean that they try and stick there spear in things?

Most people do regardless of religious/militaristic reasons.

Even the quadrupeds?

Did you try uninstalling the horsecock mods?

Now that's a good question. They're just as smart as their bipedal brothers and sisters, but it'd be a pain for them to put clothes on and off without help. I'd imagine they could get more away with more fur showing if only because of expediency. Some of the smaller quadrupeds (pahmar and alfiqs) might have annoying family that insist on throwing clothing on them.

Figured it was a mod fucking with me but I don't have the patience to figure out which.

It'll be interesting to run through this without relying on Unrelenting Force to bail me out when my ass is getting kicked.

Can we address how underwhelming Skyforge is?

>mystical ancient relic of unknown origin
>just a hill in someone's backyard

It's probably just one of those game vs lore world problems
Honestly the undercave was more interesting than the forge, didn't even realize the forge was even special until my second play

This tumblr is a really interesting experiment in trying to create believable food and culinary arts for the different cultures of tamriel.
I'm not sure how lore friendly it is, but it's really neat.

tastetamriel.tumblr.com/tagged/hammerfell

When did the "Water is Memory" part of TES lore come about?
I know C0DA makes it specific, but the Annotated Anuad kind of hints towards it, with the new oceans and the Hist's realm being beneath the sea.

Having it in Whiterun at all as a tourist attraction takes away its mysticism. Should have been on a mountaintop in the wilderness guarded by a master blacksmith hermit who alone knows its secrets.

It's a forge, not an interdimensional portal.
While it can make skyforge steel, it's still makes everything else a forge makes. Doesn't really make sense such a practical tool would be in the middle of bumfuck nowhere, no settlement or anything.
Besides, it's already guarded by a master blacksmith who alone knows its secrets. He's just not a hermit.

>My name is _____ and what I do is none of your business
>ask what their trade is
>I'm an assassin

How is Dragonstar and Dragon Gate NOT rightfully Breton clay?

would you?

Reminder that Skyrim's the only game where Orcs are taller and more physically powerful than Nords and it's also a game where Imperials are one of the most physically powerful of races.

People keep making the mistake of TES Orcs = Orcs and TES Nords = humans or some shit, so they have this cognitive dissonance where they keep trying to jam them into archetypes. To the point that people who don't get TES are now part of Bethesda making decisions about TES.
TES Orcs = Dwarves
>stubborn, absolutist, isolationist mountain communities that are good at crafting, with the belief that life is struggle
TES Nords = Orcs
>rampant hordes of barbarian invaders with the belief that life is conquest

And I think Bosmer are almost the original elves from DF.

>mfw the nords are actually taller than orcs in morrowind
The orcs are a tad wider though. I don't know where you are getting the imperials being physically strong from. They have average physical stats and the base height.

>And I think Bosmer are almost the original elves from DF.
I think toady or three toe said they were his inspiration at some point. They aren't playable in vanilla fortress mode and play exactly the same as dwarves, however, so I want to do some tweaking to them as well.

*play exactly the same as the dwarves if you add the fortress tag

I'd really like to see this followed through, I'm a big fan of both df and scrolls lore. Do you have a blog or something?

Not at the moment. I'll make one once I have something presentable to release.

Redguards have something called Shrieking Cheese.
In fact, cheese seems to be an interesting topic
in ESO, see:
Cheeses of Tamriel
by Master Chef Gilbard Larocque

uesp.net/wiki/Lore:Cheeses_of_Tamriel

In Skyrim, Imperials have battlemage skill bonuses, so they're the fairly good Warrior characters.
They have more combat skill bonuses than Redguards, 5 less than Nords.

You are right about Orcs having more weight in Morrowind, and in Oblivion the males are the same, Nord females wider.

If I knew anything about modding df I'd offer to help. If you wanted to add Dwemer there are reactions to make constructs in masterwork you could purloin. Hope you can do it.

Not sure why, but I imagine ceviche would be a redguard dish in tes

No.
The Budi is for bipedal Khajiit.

Morrowind:
>Average Height
>+5 Blunt, Hand to Hand, Light Armor
>+10 Longblade, Speechcraft, Mercantile

Skyrim:
>Average Height
>+10 Restoration
>+5 Block, Destruction, Enchanting, Heavy Armor, One-handed

Nigga, they've always been martially focused, the thing that's wrong is now they're more magic focused, (Which sort of makes sense considering the Nibenese) and for some reason don't have a bonus to Speech.

While we're on the topic, Redguards should have been less magic focused. You could seriously replace Alteration and Destruction with Light Armor and Two Handed, or replace one of those with Heavy armor and had been more in tune with lore. And it's not like it's a real difference in gameplay or balance considering it would just be a Swordsman build all the same.

>complains about people putting races into archetypes
>proceeds to put them into an archetype

Also:
>Orcs are thankfully easy to recognize from other humanoids by their size
en.uesp.net/wiki/Lore:The_Pig_Children

>As you know, Orc corpses are among the most sought after for the durability of their skin and the strength of their bones.
en.uesp.net/wiki/Lore:Corpse_Preparation_v_I

There's textual references to Orcish size and strength. I don't see why you try to say that's not the case.

>Would you?

Have any choice in the matter? Probably not.

>Nigga, they've always been martially focused, the thing that's wrong is now they're more magic focused, (Which sort of makes sense considering the Nibenese)and for some reason don't have a bonus to Speech.

Probably because no-one really played Imperials in the previous games outside of for RP purposes.

Bretons have the magika bonus, spell resist, and good starting Int and Wis.

Altmer are Bretons with even more magika but far more fragile to magic.

Kajit are rogues.

Bosmer are rangers.

Orcs, Nords, and Redguards make great warriors/fighters in general. Just pick the one the suits your style of warrior/fighter.

Argonians combine gotta go fast with built in scuba gear.

Imps have personality and bonuses to speech and mercantile. You start being shit at doing anything that isn't being a merchant in a game series where its really not that hard to make money no matter what you do.

Race powers are sort of useful early game but you'll replace them with spells that do the same thing but better and can be cast more then once a day. So I don't really think of those when comparing races in case you wonder why I didn't mention them.

Oh forgot to add Dunmer.

Dunmer are anti social living blocks of asbestos with gotta go fast. Basically take them if you want to laugh at fire based mages.

Think of it more as orcs being fatter on average and having huge guts.

It clashes nicely with the nigger pandering in TESV where they made them Veeky Forums noble savages with no downsides.

That's probably why Imperial Men weighed so much in Morrowind.

That kind of reminds me of one of my best friends who played an Imperial Knight born under The Lover and really enjoyed it. Star of the West and Lover's Kiss combined made sure he could take down almost any badass he couldn't kill with a sword. Plus the Agility bonus made up for the Agility penalty most human races have.

But outside of that, there's nothing wrong with their concept of the "Knight Race". I don't often play Imperials, but I think they have their place.
They make pretty good spellswords, too. Bretons are a better choice for for Gishes, though, even if they were designed to be Atronach Sorcerers, but Dunmer were pretty much designed to be spellswords.

Star of the West and good Hand-to-Hand can take out nearly any enemy in the game, even at a low level, just with how hand-to-hand works in Morrowind.

>Dragon star
>Breton

its a nord city bruh, play shadowkey.

Are the stars in the sky of Mundus 3 dimensional? Or at least perceived as such?

I know they're tears left behind from escaping Et'Ada, but surely they can still have a 3d position.

We only know that they are all the same distance from Nirn.

>no giant beard, no merish facial features
ESO, shit as usual.

I doubt it, at least for normal stars. They aren't really "things", objects, but rather just holes in the firmament.

>The Pig Children

Man I'm a huge sucker for any lore that's written from an in-universe perspective. That's why I try and collect every book I can find in dungeons, houses, etc.

Speaking of stars, do we even really know what unstars are?
We know how the act, and what separates them from stars, but what kind of Lorkhan-related spirit are they really supposed to be?
Rogue Magne-Ge? "Illicit spectra"?

Also, why is Arkay the Dominion Planet of the Thief?

Read the various accounts of the War of Betony.
Bretons, Redguards and the Empire have rather different ideas of what happened.

i like the fact that it is a mystery without any explanation.

The fact it was there before the Nord and it has a giant Eagle Statue might be a hint it has something to do with Auri-El.

BUT the legends say it was there BEFORE the elves arrived. AND that the elves are afraid of it.

The Bird could also be a symbol of Kynareth ,but neither her or Auri-El are known to have anything to do with a forge.

Atleast it's funny.

Boring.

Blandest shit ever.

Now that screams Hammerfell.

Hegathe Lavamelon jam.

>ancient Nords had aqueducts
pretty interesting tbqhwy

Remember the Silent Moons enchantment and the forge that was supposed to grant it...
Well not everything they put into the game was done.

Yeah, Redguards could really use that light armor bonus. I also think Argonians should have +10 light armor instead of lockpicking.

>Imps
That reminds me, where are the imps in TES?

Is that a river left of High Hrothgar? The perspective makes it look like High Hrothgar is near ground level. Or maybe it's a cloud that tongues are able to shape and walk on.

Wouldn't that be cool? Tongues using clouds for fast travel?

The Silent Moons enchantment is from another forge though.

I hate how a lot of google image searches for TES stuff are polluted by the cancer that is 'skyrim confessions'. I'm just looking through interesting tags on tumblr and one out of 5 posts is this shit.

skyrimconfessionss.tumblr.com/post/66859460321