/5eg/ D&D Fifth Edition General: Sheila's knickers edition part 3

Volo's Guide to Monsters in the trove. Be sure to buy it and support the hobby even if you download it!

>Official /5eg/ Mega Trove v3:
mega.nz/#F!BUdBDABK!K8WbWPKh6Qi1vZSm4OI2PQ

>Community DMs Guild trove
>Submit to [email protected], cleaning available!
mega.nz/#F!UA1BhCBS!Oul1nsYh15qJvCWOD2Wo9w

>Pastebin with resources and so on:
pastebin.com/X1TFNxck

>/5eg/ Discord server
discord.gg/0rRMo7j6WJoQmZ1b

>Veeky Forums character sheets
mega.nz/#F!x0UkRDQK!l-iAUnE46Aabih71s-10DQ

Previously on /5eg/... Sheila appears to have lost her knickers, and is now going commando. What is your party going to do to find her knickers?

Also, how would you stat a Sheila's Knickers magic item?

Other urls found in this thread:

ekkaia.org/rpg/dnd/ps/tiefling.pdf)
i.4cdn.org/tg/1478864090538.png
dota2.gamepedia.com/Lina/Responses
twitter.com/NSFWRedditImage

Looking at the Veeky Forums character sheet, what do those triangles near the proficiency marker indicate? Just for extra visibility?

Also thanks for making the text a lot more accommodating, whoever that user is

Can turn invisible (but only the item) at-will.

The best way to handle it is to ignore it. If anything, sleeping in full plate is more comfortable than in your skin, since you're not crushing an arm when you lay on your side. Chainmail and studded leather are what's a bitch to sleep in.

But just stop trying to inconvenience martial characters further. They have it bad enough without DMs looking to poorly-understood physics to fuck them over at every opportunity.
>real world humans can mount horses, do cartwheels, and swim in full plate
>gaming autists think it turns you into a clanking turtle that can't even stand up by themselves if prone
>real world humans march with rucksacks and gear weighing a hundred pounds for hours on end
>gaming autists think heavy armor, a sword, and shield makes a fantasy hero start panting like a dog after an hour of walking in direct sunlight on a spring day
It's not good.

Is anyone playing a Volo's guide character? How is it going? I'm currently reading through the Orc chapter to better flesh out my current half Orc.

Is there a good list online or downloadable with race summary for easy comparison?

>Can turn invisible (but only the item) at-will.
Perfect for the exhibitionist who wants to remain warm!

>Be sure to buy it and support the hobby even if you download it!

Why would I care about this shit? It's not like Hasbro is going broke any time soon.

Does anyone have any kind of random tables for Tiefling traits?

I found this old one from I think 2E (ekkaia.org/rpg/dnd/ps/tiefling.pdf) but I'd like one more up to date and with maybe some more interesting things, similar to the Aasimar ones from this image i.4cdn.org/tg/1478864090538.png

Pathfinder has one.

Expertise, as the rogue, knowledge cleric and bard features give.

Hasbro won't, but your FLGS sure can.

Dragon aren't realistic. They ignore Cube-Square law.

Do you also make a dragon do a CON to see if they instantly die if they stand up due to blood pressure?

This, STR characters (martials in general too) already get fucked in so many ways, the game is not balanced around them being houserule-fucked as well.

The SCAG has one such table also.

You always need to pick and choose what you want to be like reality and what unrealistic things you're going to accept as conventions of the genre you're using. Creatures much too big for their body structure are a mainstay of not just D&D but also fantasy literature and mythology as a whole. Sleeping in armor, in contrast, mostly comes from video games. It's perfectly reasonable to have 50-foot-tall flying dragons but to not let people sleep in armor without consequences.

Dragons are common enough for anyone to be able to buy into. If something is unrealistic when it is a very normal thing, like sleeping in armor (even if realistically it's not actually very bad), then that can cause disbelief. Your argument is a shitty one, no matter how many times it gets repeated. If I made up a monster and I said it was comprised of helium, but it's on the ground anyway, would you find that ok? And yeah, "magic" is an easy excuse with both this and the dragon, but you can't do that with martial business as easily.

I need a character concept/build to play for a one shot tonight and I'm fresh out of ideas. Any suggestions on a build that's a lot of fun to play? It's pretty much anything goes for character gen

To wit, most people don't come to such opinions themselves, but especially as it comes to D&D, because someone told them "this is how it should be", and the developers pushed their biases into the debate (see everything Paizo does, Mearls with 4e Essentials).
There is a point where you either have to make a good game, or a fluffy game, because the 2 aren't the same, and I'd rather have a solid game without built in horse shit issues that other games dealt with literally a decade ago because "muh legacy, muh trve D&D".
From 2e to 4e, D&D was WILDLY DIFFERENT THINGS, so much so that you could not actually call them the same game were it not the label, and I hate every single one of you, including myself, for being such fucking worthless shitbags to keep such an outmoded, outdated, useless, personal opinion R us argument going for the sake of (you)s and Epeen.

UA ranger, Mystic, monstrous race anything.

A wizard who knows every spell you've never used before. Just try to sling as many firsts as you can.

Yeah the game mechanics become part of the fiction, no one questions how fast wounds close or how many hits you can take beyond the first 1-2 sessions because you get full hp on a long rest, and that's that. It's a big reason why D&D fantasy is a thing, and why there is a D&D setting that isn't FR or anything but just D&D.

Wholeling Halfling with a short Longbow

So... do we all agree that "People in D&D can sleep with armor on without difficulty" is perfectly acceptable then? Good! Let's focus on the fun aspect of the game.

The rules say otherwise, user.

That's normally when you post a screenshot of the book, maybe even with some red lines or arrows pointing out the relevant parts.

Yeah, in 3.5 maybe. In 5e you can sleep just fine in it.

Here you go.

The only screencap you ever need

Don't be a mystic. It'll just be a pain in the ass for your DM because they work so much differently from any other class. The time involved might be worth it for an ongoing campaign, but not for a one-shot.

who leling?
I'm leling

Druid/Mystic, but the first UA mystic so that your psychic powers are still considered attacks that can be combined with pack tactics from lion.

So what's the best "slut" type of druid? Being immune to disease and not having to deal with divine fucks is a huge bonus, but I can't quite wrap my head around the different circles and how much impact they have. Moon druids could be fun, if only for the "everything I am carrying falls to the floor" effect.

>not going moon for horse penis

If you had to pull something truly weird and uncommon on your GM, in terms of classes and builds, what would it be?

>So what's the best "slut" type of druid?
Another day, another step away from the light of the divine.

Go back to /pfg/.

It's not funny after the 20th time.

>player 1 rolls up a dragonborn 4e monk
>i explicitly tell him it's shit
>player 2 makes a mountain dwarf barbarian
>prepare myself for frontline shitshow
>even throw some bones to p1
>like +1 staff and more missile enemies so he can ebingly catch arrows
>it's still shit
>frequently complains about being shit and p2 doing much better than him

serves him right for making an ebin skyrim aang

GO BACK TO /PFG/ REEEEEE

That's not how Wild Shape affects equipment. Read.

The main use of the moon druid is the "onion druid." This means repeatedly using Wild Shape to become something with a bucketload of HP, than take damage with impunity until it runs out and you repeat the process. It rivals the bear barbarian in terms of pure ability to soak up damage, and of course it's still a full caster. It may not be able to cast new spells while in wild shape, but it can concentrate on spells such as Polymorph (to help a friend of yours do the same trick) or Conjure Animals (to make even more blobs of expendable HP and fuck with the action economy while you're at it.)

Land Druid of the forest allows Barkskin and Freedom of Movement. Even if you are stark naked your AC can't be lower than 16, throw a shield on and you may have more AC while naked than the fighter/paladin.

Freedom of Movement allows you to escape from restraints using 5 feet of movement. It's balanced to allow you to walk out of your clothes using only 5 feet of movement.

I was about to say "dragonborn actually make really cool monks in 4e" then realized you meant 4 elements.

Shield + Barkskin doesn't work that way.

Barkskin apply after shield +2 AC calculation. If you AC doesn't reach 16 after shield, your AC is now 16.

If your AC is more than 16 after shield, why the hell are you casting Barkskin in the first place.

Weird as in magical realm or weird as in uncommon.

Uncommon: Drow Monk, it would be uncommon but a good mesh of skills with supervisor darkvision and shadow step.

Magical Realm: Warlock with Mask of many faces to genderswap, and keep it going forever.

reduce cost of ki abilities from 4e subclass by 1
now it's fixed, there you go

How would you run hostile terrain? Things like murder-mountains, cripplingly cold places, poisonous swamps and the like, where enemies are rare and not the main threat. I'm worried that it would become too dull if it's just skill checks and saving throws without the satisfaction of defeating something.

Then just barkskin, still as much AC as chainmail.

orc wizard
gnome barbarian
kobold barbarian

monk ranger with archery style and the Mobile feat who only has monk levels so they can get more speed to kite with
devotion paladin 2: great weapon fighting style / valor bard X, take inheritor background for custom guitar that doubles as a Maul
chainlock 3 / battlemaster x just to have a sprite companion as a fighter

it probably will be.
hiking in the cold isn't exactly fun

You gotta hype it up then. Have NPCs warn them of the place and say they shouldn't go there, people go missing or end up dead all the time. It may have to just be rolls, but it's what the characters think.

Also there has to be good reason why they are there of course.

I was thinking of retrieving a treasure/s from a dead Morkoth's island. Without the morkoth's mainenance the place gradually decays and its denizens turn on one another.

I've actually never heard of a Morkoth and had to google it. And they seem to be the deep sea type of monster. What level are your players?

Does anyone have any form fillable character sheets updated with Volo's Guide character races?

I made a spell that deals 4d4 acid and 4d4 poison damage on its first cast, half damage on a successful Constitution save, and each round after you make the save again or take 3d4/3d4 (half on a success and ends the spell), then 2d4/2d4, then finally 1d4/1d4 until it either runs out of damage dice or the target makes the save.

I have no fucking idea how to phrase this in a way that's consistent with the PHB's spell description phrasing methods. Everything I try to write comes out as clumsy and awkward. Help me out here?

Do you use personality types such as the Enneagram or MBTI typings for your PCs? If so, give examples...

Or use pic related and give each type a D&D class. Extra points for using archetypes.

The target must make a constitution saving throw or take 4d4 poison, and 4d4 acid damage. On subsequent turns, the target must roll another constitution saving throw at the beginning of its turn. If it succeeds, the spell ends, if it fails, it takes 3d6 poison and 3d6 acid. The next turn, the target makes another constitution saving throw or take 2d6 poison and 2d6 acid. This spell lasts until the target makes the save, or takes 1d6 poison and 1d6 acid.

A lot of spells are clunky like that.

This is the point where you have to ask the DM
'Okay, can you show me where these seven people who should have disadvantage to stealth and perhaps have whatever amount of dexterity all rolled 27 or 28 or higher, and if we kill them as players can we get whatever gave them +20 to stealth too?"

Even pass without trace isn't THAT good, as far as I remember.

It makes you sound like a rule lawyer, but really it's calling a DM out on shittiness.

Don't.
Heavy armour already has more than enough disadvantages for the measly +1 AC it gives you, without you telling the person who made the sacrifice of dumping dex 'Okay, you now have an AC of 9. Fuck you, the wizard is now taking your role as tank instead." if they want to sleep without armour, or 'Okay, you're now weaker, fuck you.'

They're in Volo's. Their islands are described as shards of celestial matter adrift amidst the planes. The Morkoth reshapes them as they see fit, and are compelled to collect treasures, including people and creatures. The book doesn't specify what happens to the islands should the Morkoth die, but I imagine it would make it more dangerous.

As to player level, I run one-offs at my FLGS when too many people show up for AL. I'm trying to come up with more stuff as the book stuff is becoming repetitive.

Go warlock instead, get at-will 'alter self'
ERP the fuck out of everybody with your horsecock.

Be banned from everything, forever.

Have someone post your story on Veeky Forums.

Thanks, that wording works better than anything I tried to write.

>It makes you sound like a rule lawyer, but really it's calling a DM out on shittiness.
I just rerolled, and told him to not be a bitch when he allowed me to take the options I did. He might have dialled a few stupid things that I didn't see a problem with, but he still has this issue with the other players where, if he feels they are "breaking the game" he'll just throw dumb shit at us that directly counters it for no explained reason. The 7 dudes were "just that good"

He isn't really reasonable, but he is the only guy willing to DM besides me, so if I want to be a player, he is my only choice.

Hate those kinds of people. It is not fucking difficult to tailor encounters around things a party does well. But you HAVE to tailor around it, just brute forcing it will never lead to a good result.

Best example of this caused a huge OoC argument - he had given us an amulet giving +3 AC. So we put the stupidly high AC paladin in front, gave him this amulet, and after a few spells pre-combat, he had like 28 AC. So the DM just gave all enemies +19 to hit.

How well do you think the AC17 thief did in combat after that?

>Be banned from everything, forever.
This is for a private ERP game with a few online friends for the time where we can't meet up.

They aren't expecting a weird turbo - fetish character, but it isn't really "out of place" anyway.

What is the best class to play a necromancer?

Alternatively, what is the best class to play a summoner of demons?

Well what could happen then as it drifts closer and farther to certain plains t may develop features similar to the nearest plane. If it drifts along the Beastlands the island may grow tall trees and deep forest, if it went past mechanus part of the island may have become metallic, with tin foil grass and metal plated paths.

And you could also say the island spins, so the parts of the island closer to the plane develops a certain aspect of that plane. The island could be a mosh up of lets say 2d4 planes you pick. If the characters are a high level, you can tell them they know that certain planes can have effects on people.

But to make it more focused on the environment, it's kind of hard to without illustration, you could have them have to beat skill encounters such as traversing a river, or have to jump from one cliff to another, but that doesn't have a lot of room for fun. Maybe like a guide to interact with may make it more interesting.

Surprise is granted when at the start of an encounter one side is attempting to hide and the passive (perception) scores do not notice the stealth check of the sneaking group.

What happens if half of the group is being sneaky, but the others aren't? Presumably no surprise, just advantage for being unseen?

After all, you can't have people surprised against only one thing. 'surprised' is a condition that lasts one round and basically means you can't do anything for the first, 'surprise' round.

If you're not banned, you're not trying to hyper-turbo-fetish hard enough.

I suggest turning into a bear and eating people.

I think necromancer wizard's buff to the skellies makes them the best, but Death domain cleric (from the DMG), and possibly some warlock multiclass so you can REALLY bring the horde) are also pretty good candidates.

Oathbreaker paladin also gets some undead bolstering aura I think, but needs help creating them.

Necromancy wizard is probably the best of the options of undying warlock, death cleric or necromancy wizard for it.

If you're thinking 'summoning creatures to help in combat', that is generally not very well supported and would slow down combat anyway. You can just get pact of the chain and summon a piece of shit imp to ruin everybody's day instead.

Be sure to check out the Black Magic unearthed arcana, it added some demon summoning spells.

If the enemy is alerted to danger from even a single party member, then they're not surprised.

4e was pretty good.

I need puns for my fire sorcerer.

What if 4 people from your group are peacefully chatting with a guy (who does not think the group poses a threat), but then Mr. McFuckface Rogue is hiding off to the side unseen by everybody except his own group and then shoots a crossbow bolt?

That's the evil genius at work. Hasbro defers risk to the small business owners, then consumers are guilty of not supporting their community and shitting where they eat if they don't roll out and buy, buy, buy at those inflated prices.

dota2.gamepedia.com/Lina/Responses

Give a man a fire, and he'll be warm for an evening. Set a man on fire, and he'll be warm for the rest of his life!

They call me 'H' 'cuz I turn asses to Ashes.

>waaaaaaah business

Then your party is also surprised, and don't get to partake in the surprise round.

You're fired.

Run it as an orange skinned entertainer with maximum charisma and political aspirations

i like the one you did

What was wrong with previous way of dealing with sleeping in armor, ie. fatigue penalty based on armor class? Easy to remember and to check, and pretty fairly represents the trade off being modeled.

pic unrelated

Makes sense.

I suppose it might work if your entire party makes a sleight of hand / stealth check to conceal daggers they're gripping behind their backs or something, but then everybody else would be making some sort of check versus their passive perception too.

Just want to chip in that chainmail is actually cooler than wearing cloth, it acts like the heatsink in your computer to release that body heat faster

hahaha XD

If the enemy is looking right at you and fully aware of you, even if they don't perceive you as a threat, you don't get a surprise round if you suddenly start attacking.

Mostly the fact that you're wrong, in addition to the fact that you're further punishing STR based martials over DEX based ones.

I see what you're going for, but it's really not worth doing.

Oh, jesus, this is so much better. High CHA is even good for his concept. Fuck.

This creates the very unusual situation where a completely unwitting enemy may actually act before you get to act when you clearly make the first move (say, walking past a person on the street and pulling a knife on them).

I think what I said would work better, since everybody still has to roll stealth to 'hide', and if they fail to hide then it makes sense that the person reacts before they can get close enough to pull the knife on them.

Otherwise, it'll be -
Player: 'I try to stab the guy'
DM: 'The guy takes your dagger and stabs you, despite not even knowing you had that dagger in the first place'.

I'll say if you suddenly attack an NPC you get the surprise attack, but you don't gain advantage cause you are looking right at them.

Turns are an abstraction. He saw you moving to attack and he managed to move a little faster. It's really not that hard to understand.

>muh Sleight of Hand

You have to stop palming a dagger to stab someone with it.

Wrong how? You left that part out.

And if you object to any burden placed on STR martials because they're disadvantaged, the whole concept of ANY mechanic for sleeping in/out of armor would be a problem. I mean you could call it a bonus for sleeping out of armor, but it amounts to the same thing.

What I'm saying is that STR martials being in a bad way is a separate matter from whether or not and how to model the tradeoff between sleeping in or out of armor.

How does he move a little faster without making any passive perception or perception checks?

He only made an initiative roll. He will make that initiative roll, and then not even know why he made it because he's not aware of anything.

That's not unusual, that's what happens in every western and samurai movie ever.

His turn and your turn are happening during the same six-second period. He doesn't need to test his Perception because he's looking right the fuck at you. You might be able to conceal a weapon from him while talking with him, but you can't conceal the fact that you're pulling out that concealed weapon and attacking him!

I can't stand this kind of mindset in players - thinking that they get a free turn just because they happened to initiate hostilities. No, if the enemy is fully aware of you, sometimes they can see the shit you're trying to pull and act first. That is what an initiative check is for.

"Armor Sleeping Rules" are boring and pedantic.
No one sits down at a gaming table and cares in the least about this shit, or your special table to determine the effects of not spending 1 hour per day sharpening their sword.

Concentrate on an entertaining narrative for a change, and stop stalling with errata, you tedious shitlords.

Muscle memory can be a powerful thing. Even if they're only somewhat aware of you, like in a crowd, someone who's trained enough in fight could be reacting from the stab before even they know what's wrong.

No, no.

This is a particularly special case, because it's not just initiating combat, but one person is making an almost entirely unseen attack while the other person has no idea they're about to make it.

He does not automatically notice the knife.
He does not automatically succeed stealth.

The knife is below is line of vision once you're in close enough in the example of 'walking by someone on the street and stabbing them'.

He could perhaps make an insight check opposed by deception to realise that this person is getting close to him for the sole purpose of stabbing him, but it'll probably be stealth versus passive (or possibly in this case, active) perception.

Dexterity (initiative) has absolutely no right to tell the NPC that a player is concealing something.

A video game where everyone is completely unburdened by heavy armor is not automatically a more entertaining narrative. Go back to WoW if you can't be bothered to make your character act like a real person.

Once he starts to make an attack with it, he's no longer concealing it. How is this so hard for you to understand?