Traveller General: Dude, where's my Scout ship?

Traveller is a classic science fiction system first released in 1976. In its original release it was a general purpose SF system, but a setting was soon developed called The Third Imperium, based on classic space opera tropes of the 60s, 70s, and 80s, with a slight noir tint.
Though it can support a wide range of game types, the classic campaign involves a group of retired veterans tooling around in a spaceship, taking whatever jobs they can find in a desperate bid to stay in business, a la Firefly or Cowboy Bebop.

Previous thread: Library Data: Master Archive:
mega.nz/#F!lM0SDILI!ji20XD0i5GTIUzke3iv07Q

Galactic Maps:
travellermap.com/
utzig.com/traveller/iai.shtml

Resources:
1d4chan.org/wiki/Traveller
zho.berka.com/
travellerrpg.com/CotI/Discuss/
wiki.travellerrpg.com/Main_Page
freelancetraveller.com/index.html

Music to Explosive Decompression to:
>Old Timey Space music
youtube.com/watch?v=w34fSnJNP-4&list=RD02FH8lvwXx_Y8
youtube.com/watch?v=w0cbkOm9p1k
youtube.com/watch?v=MDXfQTD_rgQ
youtube.com/watch?v=FH8lvwXx_Y8
>Slough Feg
youtube.com/watch?v=ZM7DJqiYonw&list=PL8DEC72A8939762D4
>Goldsmith - Alien Soundtrack
youtube.com/watch?v=3lAsqdFJbRc&list=PLpbcquz0Wk__J5MKi66-kr2MqEjG54_6s
>Herrmann - The Day the Earth Stood Still
youtube.com/watch?v=3ULhiVqeF5U
>Jean Michel Jarre - Oxygene
youtube.com/watch?v=nz1cEO01LLc
>Tangerine Dream - Hyberborea
youtube.com/watch?v=9LOZbdsuWSg
>Brian Bennett - Voyage
youtube.com/watch?v=1ZioqPPugEI

Other urls found in this thread:

youtube.com/watch?v=LVVtMViu8f8
forum.mongoosepublishing.com/viewtopic.php?f=89&t=119757
youtu.be/Ut9s4uujwKY
suptg.thisisnotatrueending.com/archive/48593389/
twitter.com/NSFWRedditVideo

So what are you folks doing this week? I'm trying to get some campaign prep done, and listening to Scanner's Hypertrace album. Check it out:

youtube.com/watch?v=LVVtMViu8f8

Neat, never heard of Scanner. I'm gonna hold on to this!

forum.mongoosepublishing.com/viewtopic.php?f=89&t=119757

fml this forum's users

So wait, MGT2e says npcs should have one level 1 skill, and all other skills at 2? Not like one thing they're good at and everything else they're okay with?
That's gotta be a mistake. I mean, I'm not surprised, seeing as it's Mongoose. What do their editors even do over there?

>I mean, I'm not surprised, seeing as it's Mongoose. What do their editors even do over there?
It is my belief that the editors at Mongoose Publishing are actual mongooses and are compensated for their services with high proof moonshine and low quality methamphetamines. It is the only explanation that makes rational sense for the entirely erratic quality of their products.

I would have to assume that the table being talked about (the one on page 88) originally had more than one skill level listed for the average skill level column, and that the first (and higher) number was for one skill, while the second (lower) number was for the rest of the skills. Somewhere along the line the table could have been changed but they forgot to update the text to reflect that.

Reading through sector sourcebooks, desperately trying to find inspiration for a campaign.

The wing propellers should swivel independently of the control surfaces, otherwise it creates additional drag...

Unless it's basically a helicopter, with the rotors providing most of the lift, and the "wings" just oversized control surfaces?

Maybe?

This isn't in the archive as far as I can see

Yeah, that's new to me. I'll put that in.

I can't believe anyone with Sam-I-men-Max on their helmet could do any wrong,

That was a bit of a gimmick of Mike Jackson's art, it pops up in his Shadowrun and Cyberpunk2020 stuff too.

Which edition is best and why?
Which one is THE Traveller expirience?

Probably the Frankenstein edition that an experienced referee builds over time.
Out of the box, I'd say probably Mongoose 1e, with Classic's Starter Traveller in second place. CT is pretty old school DIY and requires a bit more effort by the ref before it's ready to run. MGT1 has a more modern, completionist philosophy, so it gives you everything right there.
(Which is good because outside the core rule book, MGT's quality gets pretty erratic)

I'm asking because I'm thinking about getting CD Twilight 2000 bundle, and maybe some Traveller as well.
So, which of those edition bundles is most valuable for a newbie?I don't mind old school. I kinda came for it.

Well, Twilight 2000 is related to Traveller, but not exactly the same. If you're up for near future stuff, it's great, though.
The Classic Traveller CDRom is very nice. I'd probably get the JTAS and maybe the Megatraveller ones, too, as there's plenty of good stuff in there.

>near future
T2K is not near future. It's alt-history.

Well, NOW it is. It wasn't when it was published. Did I mention I'm an old fart who was around when it was new?

It's an odd sort of near-future. I've got the 1e box, and from what I can see, there appears to have been no real technological development since the mid-80s in T2K-land.

So MgT rules that Travellers on low gravity or high gravity worlds "suffer DM-1 to all skill checks until they acclimatize". Now, 2e lets you automatically acclimate with the appropriate Athletics skill, but the text for low gravity states you suffer the penalty for "all PHYSICAL skill checks". High gravity doesn't seem to make that distinction, nor does either gravity for 1e.

Am I right in assuming the intent for being on a low or high gravity world is that the penalty was meant to apply only to applicable physical tasks, or is the discomfort so intense for offworlders that even mental and social rolls are affected?

Bump

I'd personally rule that, for the first time visiting a high and a low gravity world, all skill rolls are affected. For subsequent high and low world's visited, it would just be physical, with athletics checks to acclimatize.
Your local rules lawyer can usually make whatwhatever claim they wish when dealing with Mongoose and one printing or another will support them.

I am thinking of running online one-shots surrounding the idea of 'cops vs criminals' Rainbow Six Siege style, but in ships. Taking into account stuff like unique gadgets and Traveller-ism's like zero-G and so and such.

Any thoughts on such a one-shot idea?

youtu.be/Ut9s4uujwKY

That would be awesome.
If I were to do it, I'd probably use one of the wargamier combat systems, like Snapshot or Azhanti High Lightning, to get that tactical feel really going.

>giant GURPSfag
>mfw someone in my group suggests we play traveller

Not many systems get me excited any more, but traveller is one of them. Character creation always is a blast and leads to fun characters, but for some reason they're always depressing failures.

Damn. Now this makes me want to play some sort of Future tech mods for Breach and Clear.
- Makes me miss the old Video Game BREACH (and ROE) more.

>but for some reason they're always depressing failures.

I know your plight. I made a guy to be an awesome doctor but I could never make the test to do it. He spend two or three terms working as a scraper instead.

>BREACH

Fuck yeah, Breach. I had that for my Amiga, made some awesome levels for it. Sadly the floppy disk I wrote them to bit the dust.

I plated a little breach. (I had a pirate copy) but owned Rules of Engagement. Loved that game.

Did someone say depressing traveller characters? Let me introduce you to Denglebert Jones.
suptg.thisisnotatrueending.com/archive/48593389/