ITT: We discuss alternatives to the standard medieval weapons, i'll start

>ITT: We discuss alternatives to the standard medieval weapons, i'll start
How effective would a tomahawk be in a medieval battle?

Other urls found in this thread:

en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Shepherd's_axe
twitter.com/SFWRedditImages

To what end?

Do you want to know how effective it would be in war, or how it would effective it would be in an RPG?

>Alternatives to the standard medieval weapons
>Posts one of the most widely used early medieval weapon, but calls it tomahawk instead

>Ow! My head!

It's an axe.

Slavic highlanders have something similar to tomahawk. It was used only by civilians. I don;t think tomahawk would be any different

>standard medieval weapons

I can't even work out what this is supposed to be. I suspect that I might be over thinking it.
But everything I can think of as common isn't purely or even largely medieval. Swords? thousands of years of use in various forms. Spears? Using them before we developed written language. Bows? Also around forever. Flails? Not common. Crossbows? I guess that might count. Halberds and other polearms? Mostly medieval but hugely varied.

Throwing weapons in general were obsolete moment we got bows and crossbows

Which explains why Roman legionnaires carried throwing spears long after the invention of the bow.

The ancient Greeks and Chinese had a form of crossbow, so it's not truly a medieval weapon either.

>alternatives to standard medieval weapons
>posts a hand-axe

Did they use it as main weapon?
Did their actual range auxiliaries used pilium or rather bows or at least slings?

I'm not sure you fully grasp the concept of "obsolete"

I don't think you do. Obsolete implies they have no use, but the pilum was used for centuries alongside the bow.

Pilum weren't a primary weapon, but they were a linchpin of many Roman strategies for a long time and most legionaries had at least two on their person. They did excellent work at breaking up enemy formations and softening better equipped armies.

Apparently they were pretty good at messing up shields too.

>throwing weapons
>obsolete

>Grenade
>30-45 meters top
>Granade launcher
>200-250 meters
>Mortars
>Up to 2km
>Artillery
>Up to 15km

>If I take what user said hyperliterally and ignore what he clearly meant, I never have to admit to being wrong!

>Doesn't understand that different weapons have different roles

You seriously don't understand the concept of obsolete weapon...

Let's try the old and tried example, bow vs crossbow vs guns. Each of them existed within the same period.
Bows were first to disappear, because they required the most training and weren't really that effective (if you are going for English longbow argument, you can stop typing answer already). Crossbows in the meantime were four times more expensive to make, while having roughtly same effectivness as firearms they were tied with.
In the end, bows and crossbows were deemed obsolete.

Yet they are still around in current times. And they are still obsolete.

The same applies to pilum. It was used =/= not obsolete. The concept of obsolete is about end of this or that weapon as a primary weapon used by everyone. You yourself are perfectly aware it was just a support thing.
Everyone was using bows, because they've allowed to double the range even in hands of someone untrained, even with most basic bow. Sure, there were still people throwing shit, but that doesn't make thrown weapon any less obsolete.

>Doesn't understand what obsolete means
>Doesn't understand why soldiers are equipped with barrel-mounted gernade launchers

>doesn't realize soldiers are also equipped with knives and hand-grenades

Yeah, but were they obsolete during the time they coexisted? No. Because they were still in use. They became obsolete when they were phased out of use.

>Obsolete
>no longer produced or used; out of date.

Obsolete means there's no reason you should be using them. If there are still reasons to continue using them beyond cost, then they're not obsolete.

>Artillery
>Up to 15km

Try over 50km.

Most other ranges you listed are also too short but that one is the most egregious.

I just want to post random melee weapons.

have a shitty tomahawk

I will post specifically chosen images to counter your apparent randomness.

AND SO IT BEGINS!

>The francisca (or francesca) is a throwing axe used as a weapon during the Early Middle Ages by the Franks, among whom it was a characteristic national weapon at the time of the Merovingians from about 500 to 750 and is known to have been used during the reign of Charlemagne (768–814).[1] Although generally associated with the Franks, it was also used by other Germanic peoples of the period, including the Anglo-Saxons; several examples have been found in England.[2]

Kids dont play AoE II anymore I guess...

This is just fucking beautiful.
Probably not a good mace for a monk to use, though.

true, and oddly enough I don't have one for a monk. Got this though.

This is now an arms and armor thread?

Sounds like a plan.

why post one of the most widely used daggers ever on a non standard weapon thread?

stat me

>hyperliterally
Are you stupid or just stubborn?
>and ignore what he clearly meant
Grenades are a perfect example of a throwing weapon.

>hatchet

because OP's non-definition of standard is so broad as to be utterly useless, so I'm posting what I want to.

The kopis, khopesh, and kukris are all so cool.

Fuck. I'm still mad they discontinued my favorite sword of theirs before I had the money to buy it.

Right there with ya.

Goddamn you are autistic. It is clear he means weapons used during the middle ages, not weapons invented during the middle ages. So a cavalry sabre wouldn't be a medieval weapon, but a bastard sword would.

>ICBM
>Unlimited range

Seriously guys, why do we even need an army? It's obsolete now.

Is right
Is an idiot

Boo. Hoo.

"Guerrilla Warfare", sometimes you only want to kill *some* of the people in one area.

user. If you are standing at Sea Level, you have about 30km of line of sight until the Horizon.
If you are elevated, or aiming at something elevated, it rises to 50-100km very fast.
If artillery was only 15km, WW2 and WW1 wouldn't even be waged in the ways they where.

Naval warfare involves shooting OVER the horizon, which, among other things, requires you account for the rotation of the earth.

Dat Hilt.jpg

Late Renaissance but whatever.

>>Artillery
>>Up to 15km
Even a 1960s vintage 155mm shell can do 20km, maybe 25 if you have good conditions. A modern rocket assisted, Satellite guided one can do nearly 200km, although you going to spend six figures a round.

>A modern rocket assisted, Satellite guided one can do nearly 200km, although you going to spend six figures a round.

So in other words it is a perfect way to blow up couple guys with $2 AKs?

I have one of these. It's not bad as just a cheap toy to beat shit with.

If the other choice is risking tens of millions in infantrymen (the US DoD puts infantrymen at 1-2 million a loss, infantrymen come in squads of 8ish) to eliminate the $2 AK, the math starts to look pretty good for the $450,000 shell, especially if you can get a few guys with AKs at once.

I should point out that the most of the price tag is for the rocket assist, if you just want to drop a GPS shell directly on top of the guy in the next town over, it will only set you back $30,000 or so.

en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Shepherd's_axe
>In the 9th century, Hungarian warriors used light axes on long shafts, called fokos, before them, the Bulgars and also the Alans and Slavs used a very similar type of that.

they were used in war too not just civilian use

You have the line of sight equal to the hight of your vintage point times 1.7-2.1, in nautical miles, depending on weather.
From where the fuck you take your numbers, private?
And don't want to break it for you, but WW1 field guns were shooting exactly in that limit. Unless you bring stuff like Parisian Gun into equation, artillery will have a really hard time to shot further than 30 km, while you will need naval guns for that anyway.

The fuck visibility have to do with artillery range, you wanker?

>He seriously thinks soldiers are equipped with knives for combat
Next thing you will claim HtH combat training is used for anything else than physical conditioning.
Civilian spotted

You use your fire stock for melee user.

Using a knife in combat for anything else than a surprise neck stab on a sentry is gonna get that knife twisted out of your arm or embedded in your own body.

no, but "it has viable uses = not obsolete" you absolute tosser.

The concept of obsolition isn't about the end of a weapon as used by everyone, it is when something, weapon or otherwise, has no more practical uses.

Yeah. Throwing weapons were commonly used alongside bows and crossbows into the 11th century.

ITT
>Bunch of cunts making semantic argument
>People posting random pictures
>OP asking retarded question
Daily reminder this is the quality content we gained thanks to removing quests...
I could at least easily filter quests out.

Where there is hay, there are needles.

if you don't like it you can just leave
if you can't tell, this is a joke

Professional military historian here.

"Tomahawk" is just an Algonquin word for "tool for hacking/cutting".

In Europe, its called a belt axe.

Belt axes are just small axes, and were often used in battle by those who could not afford better.

Pilum also phased out after a comparatively short time, when bowmen and slinger auxiliaries became more accessible.

Discount cloud strife/10

Thats Gut's Sword, pre-dragonslayer.

This is one of many Asian weapons, and I have much love for Asian stuff, that just seems needlessly complicated.

do you have autism or something?

>Alternative medieval weapons

I'm picturing two knights in full plate warily approaching each other across a battlefield. The first one unsheathes his sword, the second... reaches behind himself, pulls out a set of nunchucks, and goes through an elaborate Bruce Lee-esque routine.

Well, I know what I'm playing next campaign.

Completely different user here.
A grenade might do a little damage as a thrown weapon if you can whack someone with it, but that's not the idea. It does its damage when it explodes. You are throwing it to deploy it to the location you want exploded.
If an analogy makes it clearer, a grenade emits shrapnel, a gun emits bullets. A grenade is more like to a gun than a rock.