Power Armor Thread - Yagn's Workshop Edition

Welcome traveler! Welcome to Yagn's, the greatest workshop for powered armor on the whole of the frontier.

You'll find ample garage space for repairs and tinkering, and no doubt plenty of enthusiasts from all over to discuss the finer points of mechanized suits with. Hell, if you're just a budding enthusiast, then maybe we can get you a custom suit of your own to start working on, for just a little credit!

>POWER ARMOR THREAD

>Post power armor pics, stories, etc. and talk about your favorite armor aesthetics, and details of powered suits!

>Discuss favorite depictions of power armor in various media

>Discuss tabletop games that heavily feature power armor in either fluff or game mechanics

>Yagn's is the greatest power armor workshop on the edge of explored space, where all manner of oddities and enthusiasts gather [NOTE: this is not a /qst/ thread, but light RP can be a fun addition to the thread's flavor]

>I will be posting the MechAnon Power Armor CYOA. It goes into mech/cyborg territory but is otherwise very robust at building power suits [NOTE: this is not a CYOA thread, but feel free to use the CYOA as a starting point for conversation and power armor customization]

I tried starting up this thread a few weeks ago, but nobody seemed interested in fluffy power armor discussion at the time. Hopefully people are more in the mood this time.

Other urls found in this thread:

imgur.com/a/u5HYv
youtube.com/watch?v=n1hhyb5ouuw
twitter.com/AnonBabble

The best power armor isn't the one you wear, it's the one that you become.

Starship troopers has the best depiction of power armor ever.

Mount is unequivocally the best option

Got to admit, Crysis' style has always struck a cord.

So how should we classify power armor if it becomes available IRL?

If there was any chance I could still ingest food (even if it means just popping the helmet off and stuffing in the hole) and possibly forming a dick then I'll be set.

Muscle suits are life and love.

Muh nig-nog.

Anything you can put tactical webbing and a stylish jumpsuit or at least some nice pants over that will still let you throw cars and cut bullets out of the air is the best in my book.

Indeed, I'm quite taken with the idea of wearing regular cloths over your armor. I imagine in some setting where people basically make it as part of their daily dress: Put on my muscle suit and helmet then slip on my sweet kicks and my jacket before rolling out to the club because you know you and your crew are goning to get jumped at some point in the night.

Bonus points if the helmets have that folding design like in Dead Space.

THE GODDAMN BUGS WHACKED US JOHNNY!

inside flap art for the 70s japanese edition of starship troopers

Apparently, this design was the major influence for the mobile suits in Gundam, though those were of course much larger.

some of the internal workings of the suit...

...and in color!

the same artist, who is mainly known for his work on Yamato and Macross, also did conceptual artwork for Joe Haldeman's forever war

but, back to starship troopers...

and in 1988 they made an unlicensed adaptation of Starship Troopers, which is quite good if you can get past the late 80s anime cliches.

As you can see, the originally design from the 70s had been updated considerably.

Command Suit Variant

Concept art of an "Enhanced Combat Suit" initiating and coming back down from a jump

I did a design of a sort of power armor, kinda curious on what other people think.

And different versions of the chest and shin guards, plus detail on the back pack

anyone have dieselpunk power armor?

detail of the rifle, which is intended to interface with the suit. It seems to be based on the HK G11 rifle that was being tested by the US Army around this time, notable for it usage of high rate multi round salvo bursts and caseless ammunition.

and what I'm assuming is one of the "special weapons" teams mentioned in the novel

Then ofcourse there is studio Nue's other 80s oddity, madox 01, which blurs the line between powered armor and a mech

I'm telling you, Fallout 4 didn't get a lot right gameplay wise, but one thing it did get right was Power Armour.

jetpack power armor, fat man, flamer, missile launcher
you are now Juan Rico at the start of the novel.
I dunno what to do about the bomblets, throw some frag grenades if you need to.
Too bad that loadout is for a terror strike that would not even be possible in Fallout 4.
>I'm a thirty second bomb! Twenty-nine, Twenty-eight...

I don't know. I did enjoy it though the battery life sucked, but it is hard to imagine armor that opens up like that serving as adequate radiation protection which it is often depicted as. I guess if you wore a protective suit underneath.

That is true. The seals seem to be really lacking.

I guess it always would need an internal lining since the joints would always be a weak point for protection and it's not like you can NOT have joints unless you want to be a statue.

Beyond that I think it made sense. They had the frames already mass produced so they were creating more advanced armor systems to attach to those frames. Honestly it would make more sense to design new armor from the ground up, so to speak, since the motors for the earlier frames might be completely inadequate...and yet it is completely realistic. How many times do we see government screwing up new weapons systems by demanding they incorporate parts of existing programs to justify the old pork even if that crap is completely incompatible?

>Beyond that I think it made sense. They had the frames already mass produced so they were creating more advanced armor systems to attach to those frames. Honestly it would make more sense to design new armor from the ground up, so to speak, since the motors for the earlier frames might be completely inadequate...and yet it is completely realistic. How many times do we see government screwing up new weapons systems by demanding they incorporate parts of existing programs to justify the old pork even if that crap is completely incompatible?
My personal headcanon that covers both the weird battery life issue and the modular frame.

The frame was actually NEW tech under testing in the Boston area, for mixing and matching parts when resupply wasn't available. They were still mostly prototypes using old T45 power cells instead of T52 reactors, later models would have been near-endless power.

And I guess the Pseudo-enclave armor was built by early enclave visiting the area to search for the Institute.

It's pretty much impossible to say about the battery life since that wasn't a mechanic in any of the early games. We do have some fluff about the small power cells being chewed through but is the fusion cell used in Fallout 4 a mod or just a streamlined game mechanic?

I suppose the Institute may have had a hand in the early X series armor. They do have a thing for robotics...

Huh.
That's a Deployable Pack Gun from Heavy Gear. I keep seeing designed from late 80's anime being used as basis for HG weapon designs.

>best power armor
My nigga.

The t52 was supposed to have a powersouce that could run for 200 years.

>posting the old version

C'mon man, we made 2.0 for a reason

True but it pays to remember that none of the batteries we found were exactly fresh. Many were scavenged from generators. Of course they still show full power but that's likely just game mechanics.

Plus the metric assload of extra mission rewards and Fusion Weapons, which I could dump into an imgur if anyone wants.

Do it

imgur.com/a/u5HYv

This should be most of it. The extra weapons and a good bunch of the between-mission lore posts by the old GM.

To clarify, at first the game was indeed this whole 'tumblr mind-controlled by aliens' bullshit that's described in the early images, but with the 2.0 update everyone decided to retcon that shit into 'random humans being mind-controlled by aliens' and just call the enemies the 'Vannai Puppets' because it was less silly. Not by much, but still.

Identify yourself, Do you know of Meeps?

Made one.
>Mesh, Hunter type, with Gills, Adhesion, and Flight
>no AI, but Brain Implant
>Hud is Suit Status, Hawkeye, Night Vision, and Thermal Vision
>Comms is Radio Transmitter, Terminal, and Defense Maze
>Weapons are Blade and Hunter-upgraded Plasma Bow
>no Shields/Defenses or Drones
>Upgrades include Environmental Controls I, II, and III, Capacitor I and II (needed them for the Hunter upgrade), Collapsible I and II, Storage, Medkit, Cyber Brain, Polyglot, and Hydra nanites
I like it. Basically my dream-suit looks like , , or pic related.

>identify yourself

The old PACYOA threads had never-ending shitstorms because of the whole namefag thing. I'm just trying to get the damn game up and running again now that people are talking about making 3.0

I'm gonna have to rework my old formula. Using the old one I essentially made the most durable armor I could against all damage types while still being human-sized. Then I dumped the remaining points into sensor systems and a plasma axe. Barbarian power armor!

Moop.

>I'm just trying to get the damn game up and running again now that people are talking about making 3.0
>people are talking about making 3.0
>making 3.0

WHAT WHAT WHAT????!!!?!??!?!?
I really like this cyoa, especially because it comes with a nice light rules system...

it's also the single most realistic power armor in terms of what a truly supersuit could accomplish.

while I lately prefer lighter armor looks(iron man, pic related, the Atom, Batman Beyond) I don't like the REALLY slim armor.
I'd prefer things with a little heft, solid plates over a mesh or interlocking components.

WHO LIKES MODULAR ARMOR?
I DO, IT'S NICE AND VERSATILE FOR ALL OF YOUR ASSORTED MISSION NEEDS.
but for real, I like to have the option for an armor operator to pull a Zoids and design a series of modules or load-outs for rapid changes.

HOW WOULD YOU HANDLE THE IMBALANCE OF POWER?
between wearer's deprived of their suits and someone IN their suit?
say the team is captured and their suits deactivated, how would you build the system?

or you just get armor with clothes attach-points? a cloak or cape with your crews mark? painted panels for style? I wonder what the "powered armor custom paint-shop" would charge you to for a design? would they charge a subscription fee to repaint areas that get the paint shot off? perhaps brand-name aesthetic mods? get your legs units brand-named by doc-marten, converse, nike, croc?

probably by what it's built for and it's approximate size.

utility
aquatic
logistical
security
combat(with sub-ratings)
etc.

I think about it like the cape classifications in the Worm webnovel
a setting where takes place might well have a similar reaction with non-suited response teams making spot-classifications like "combat-ranged, flyer, 8-meter" to signify what responses are needed to cope with the threat

some of these are kind of neat can we have them in
>3.0
???

>The Nanosuit 2.0
>low durability
>low strength

You've gotta be shitting me.

I always liked this one because of the convenient storage.

Long story short, PACYOA Teamwork Edition never died. It just went into a coma. The old remnants of the playerbase still RP and sometimes (try to) play it, and they're now thinking about relaunching the game here with a 3.0 version of the CYOA, continuing the story where they left off.

Which means, there's a war-torn Earth to rebuild and a giant alien mothership in orbit to blow up. And who knows what happens after that.

is there a similar updated version of the Bio version of the concept?

flying debris!
And I like those protected necks too!

I think it's actually more in comparison to one another. It has low durability because the highest durability ones are tank or mech sized, so that should speak more of how fucking tough the armors as a whole must be,

of course what is a suit of Power Armor without something to fight against

couldn't find the CYOA that was a more direct Bio-Armor equivalent to the PA CYOA

>doesn't let you be a posthuman warrior

DEATH IS AN INCONVENIENCE NOW, NOTHING MORE

WE ARE ALL...DEAD MEN WALKING

Nigga you should see what the bigger Fortresses had to tank in the old games.

Then again, a Heavy Leviathan has more effective Durability because of Harden, but that's beside the point. Suits could take one hell of a beating.

Where is your POWER ARMOR.

Right here, Sergeant.

>Mesh Suit, Tremorsense
>Amphibious Hopper suit, for Fins, Jump Jets, and Gills, combined with +2 speed and dex bonus at no drawback - 40 points spent with Tremorsense on top, Dex at 7 and Speed at 5, can now run, jump, and swim like a motherfucker in a mesh suit, taking one of the mesh suit's primary disadvantages away
>Agent AI, for great hacking - 40 points spent
>Drop 50 points getting Advanced Suit Status, Hawkeye, Nightvision, Thermal Vision, Radar, and Sonar
>100 points left, drop 10 on the Brainwave Harness
>Drop 60 on ALL of the hacking shit in the Comms section, 30 points left
>Cyberbrain
>Polyglot
>Uplift and Ghost for muh AI waifu - would ordinarily take Technician or Multisensor, probably Technician
>Go around prioritizing infiltration and hacking for lulz and money

The Nanosuit 2.0, with no power what so ever, survived an impact with earth after falling out of orbit, IE burned in and crashed at speeds well over terminal velocity thanks to the boost of being in high orbit.

Prophet literally walked it off. The Nanosuit is not only durable, but basically impossible to kill unless you were to use a matter erasing gun. Otherwise not only does it repair itself, but the wearer is consumed by the suit and transformed into a posthuman zombie.

Okay, admittedly I did not know about that. So maybe using it as the Mesh pic was wrong - there's no way in hell a Mesh could tank that.

With proper shielding I THINK a Light could take it. Everything from Medium and up can shrug it off with some minor damage. But then again, we had a Light eat a nuke to the face and the pilot survived with just a few missing limbs, so 'proper shielding' might be enough to save anyone.

Except Zulu

The nanosuit would probably survive a nuclear blast too, with no limbs lost. The pilot doesn't need to survive, the only reason why the nanosuit 2.0 even has a human operator is to use them for ethical counsel.

>I tried starting up this thread a few weeks ago, but nobody seemed interested in fluffy power armor discussion at the time. Hopefully people are more in the mood this time.

your trying to hard and the rp stuff is lame

Real life prototypes of powered suits are being developed by the US military.
youtube.com/watch?v=n1hhyb5ouuw

I was watching a youtube science who theorized that the battery life is because of age and that the cores from pre war actually have about 68 days after the game starts until they're dead

Crysis legion is a fucking great book btw

'surviving a nucelar blast' can mean many things, the defining factor is distance.

Nothing survives a nuke point blank unless its made of magic, due to the whole millions of degrees kelvin thing.

You see Ferrus, the enemy cannot behead you if you don't have a neck.

Having a system that focuses on possible pvp might make it so stories can include human vs human fighting. I like the light rules system, but those same rules kinda limit the game to pve because anything at or above 250 can have enough power to either kill in one shot or nuke a city.

Then again this is only a GM's opinion that still wants to play.

Or you are a God.

What point are you trying to make.

Submit.

Found it bud

For the ones that say "pick another (not free)" can you stack three? I kind of want to do amphibious, Bio, and insectoid.

Yes, but you have to buy fusion and pay all the points for them. Bio is treated like an upgrade for ONE of the body types so if you pick variable it would be:
Bio amphibious that could turn into insectoid (or bio insectoid/ amphibious.) for 55 (or bio/amphi, bio/insect.) for 65
Fusion makes it Bio amphibious insectoid for 60 points total.

Awesome.

So is there some sort of guideline for how this type of game should be run? Might want to try it with my group at some point.

No, you don't have to buy fusion, since Bio and Amphibious are both "add-on" body types