How did this guy lose to Russ when he's the second greatest psyker humanity has produced?

How did this guy lose to Russ when he's the second greatest psyker humanity has produced?

Magnus is so large he cant wear power armour properly, has all the schools of magic open to him and was powerful enough to blow away the wards of the Emperor himself. Yet when he goes to fight Russ a guy whose main skill is hitting things really hard he just runs at him? Why not teleport him into space let him fall to Prospero Vulkan style. Why not freeze him in time or shove a lighting bolt up his ass.

It makes no sense that his psychic powers dont work so why does he job so hard?

Other urls found in this thread:

bolterandchainsword.com/topic/322617-apparent-changes-in-the-hardback-volume-of-a-thousand-sons/
twitter.com/SFWRedditGifs

There were several sisters of silence present - maybe one wouldn't be enough to shut him down but several would probably disrupt him, even if just a bit. And Russ, being a primarch, would.be partially immune to his powers. Together that might have meant they were fighting on even ground.

Magnus also felt massive guilt about the whole webway debacle at the moment which probably fucked with his ability to defend himself.

>There were several sisters of silence present
That didnt stop the Sons from casting spells strong enough to destroy custodes and marines. It didnt stop Magnus TPing to base either.

>And Russ, being a primarch, would.be partially immune to his powers.
Explain?

>Magnus also felt massive guilt about the whole webway debacle
Thats why he waited. When he decided to go out and fight this should not be the case.

Because Magnus is a massive Turbo-virgin Nerd who can do a few Pysker Parlor Tricks while Russ is a Drunk angry Scotsman (who was also backed up by a couple SoS killjoys to ruin Magnus's magic show).

That, and his retarded Horntits probably restricted a lot of his arm movements, as most of them would result in him stabbing himself.

It actually did stop them (that's why they sniped some of the sisters for example), primarchs are magic bullshit, and yeah he was still feeling remorse. He just didn't want his men to completely perish.

>It actually did stop them
When they were close yes but I dont remember them being near the Primarch duel.

>primarchs are magic bullshit
That doesnt make them immune to more magic bullshit. Malacdor survived on the GT for like an hour. Magnus was supposed to sit in till it was no longer needed.

>He just didn't want his men to completely perish.
Most of the Sons werent even on Prospero.

Didn't he let down his planetary defenses because he felt bad about the webway debacle? Holy shit, there's being a cuck, and then there is letting your planet get massacred.

That's why Magnus lost. No matter how much psychic or physical strength someone possesses, a gigacuck is a gigacuck.

Didn't the Monarchia thing with Lorgar happen already by then too? Shouldn't Magnus KNOW he's about to be in for some shit regardless of whether or not he comes peacefully?

>regardless of whether or not he comes peacefully?
He was all fucked up cause the Emperor kept rejecting him. He thought that by sacrificing his homeowlrd the wolves would survive and still be able to help the Emperor after the fact. Too bad Russ screwed that up as well.

After limping away from Propero they get fucked up by the Alphas then it seems suicide against Horus before the siege.

He literally says that the Wolves and Russ will be needed in the war to come. He only intervened to buy time for the remaining TS.

>He literally says that the Wolves and Russ will be needed in the war to come.
Quote or source?

>this thread again
>ITT people using head canon and biased opinions as facts
>implying this threads don't end up simply as pointlessly shitposting until the next thread
>magnus dindu nut in wrung hurr durr
>le yiff meme
>unnecessary Lionel posting
Here are your (you)s

Have you noticed that your post is the only shitpost in this thread?

>defending bait threads
No, this threads are an exercise of futility, they archive nothing and their only purpose is to to shitpost against either space wolves or thousand sons, nothing more.

Heres your last (you). Fuck off and hide the thread instead of getting so triggered next time.

I think that was in Prospero Burns.

>Magnus is so large he cant wear power armour properly

You're so fat you can't wear people clothes properly. That doesn't mean you can fistfight John Cena.

>That doesn't mean you can fistfight John Cena.

Damn straight. John Cena is a soldier and he'll stay under you fighting, cause he's stormin' on you chumps like thunder and lightning. He'll drop your whole clan, lay your ass down for the three second tan.

>That doesn't mean you can fistfight John Cena.
Magnus just like all the other Primarch's were peerless fighters. Just when they're fighting each other does shit become situational.

If you disagree with this then why was Magnus able to do so well during the fight whilst barely focusing on the duel?

Russ is pretty much immune to psychic powers, that's why Magnus got his shit kicked in

>Most of the Sons werent even on Prospero.
WRONG

>He thought that by sacrificing his homeowlrd the wolves would survive and still be able to help the Emperor after the fact. Too bad Russ screwed that up as well.

You sound ass mad

winner winner chicken dinner

Magnus got REKT fair and square man

>Russ is pretty much immune to psychic powers
Source? And why?

Read A Thousand Sons. Russ walks away unscathed from many psychic attacks and his own psychic scream is strong enough to kill dozens of Thousand Sons.

>WRONG
Raven Guard are now canonically the smallest legion with 80,000 marines.

TS had 10,000 marines on Prospero. You do the math.

Damn man. The Thousand Sons got rekt bad

>Read A Thousand Sons.
I have. You said
>Russ is pretty much immune to psychic powers
Im asking you to source where it says Russ is immune. Why is this? Is it for every Primarch?

Wat?

1/8 of the TS 'cracked' the SW according to Russ. I know it's their homeworld but the defenses were off and the SW still limp away. So much so that they then cant even fight off the Alphas.

The thousand sons got smashed by the Wolves. Stop memeing

I don't anything about Russ but

>Is it for every Primarch?

("daemon possessed") Fulgrim got BTFO by the psychic powers of Awakened Lorgar.

>Fulgrim got BTFO by the psychic powers of Awakened Lorgar.
So if its not Primarch specific then Russ's resistance should be explained somewhere.

>so why does he job so hard?
he's not heroic

>giant
>ugly
>uses magic instead of his giant ogre arms
>waves around a fucking bardiche anyways (like seriously dude?)

of course space conan is going to break his back

Because, it was all a part of Tzeench's plan. If Tzeench's eye is SPECIFICALLY on you, ACTIVELY preventing the warp from working your way until you pledge yourself to him, the warp ain't gonna work right son.

Tzeentch helped Russ.

>Im asking you to source where it says Russ is immune. Why is this? Is it for every Primarch?

>"Magnus generated a lighting cage around them, so that no allies could disturb them, before blasting his brother with such energy. Apparently immune to such attacks, Russ closed with the Red Cyclops, striking enough blows on him that his breastplate cracked open. Staggering back, Magnus hit Russ with a blast of balefire that cracked his own armour and set light to his hair. Separated back out to weapons' length, frostblade met golden axe, as the two combatants duelled with each other. To all those watching, lit by lightning, drenched by bloody rain and each impact echoing with the thunder, the two kings seemed to swell with power and become as if giants."

A Thousand Sons (Novel) by Graham McNeill: Chapter Thirty-One

>Apparently immune to such attacks, Russ closed with the Red Cyclops, striking enough blows on him that his breastplate cracked open.

I believe this is the source for Russ immunity

>Apparently immune to such attacks, Russ closed with the Red Cyclops, striking enough blows on him that his breastplate cracked open.
Is there a reason for this? Or is it just bad writing?

There are two head canon probabilities, one (the one I personally don't believe myself,) that Russ was equally gifted to Magnus psychic prowess and two (the one I'm more lean to believe) that Russ will was so strong he was able to dispell the sorceries focussed on him, but apparently he was probably psychicly gifted, due to mentions he learned to master the shaman arts(reading the weird, a psychic howl capable to destroy windows and killing thousand sons easily with it, and he knew how to navigate trough the warp as if he were a navegant psyker)

So theres no explanation for how the 2nd most gifted psyker in the Imperium couldnt hurt Russ with his spells? Just head canon?

The SoS thing doesnt work because of the other spells he is casting during the duel.

So either he jobs for narrative reasons or he jobbed on purpose. Lame.

There's a bit in one of the HH novels where Magnus is discussing psyker-y stuff with Lorgar, IIRC, and it mentions how /all/ the Primarchs (with the possible exception of Angron because of the Nails) are technically psykers. Corax has his ability to become invisible, Night Haunter has something similar I think, a lot of them just use their powers to augment their combat prowess. Some, like Magnus and Lorgar, actually use them as psychic powers. Russ's seems to be turned inwards into making him immune to other psyker powers

>Magnus got REKT fair and square man

Not true, there was interference from Russ' Fenrisian Wolves. Without that Russ would have lost outright.

>Magnus battering the Wolf King with fists wreathed in lightning and fire. One of Magnus's mighty fists clove into Russ's chestplate above his heart, the attempted death-punch shattering it and sending ceramite shards deep into his body. Russ grabbed the offending arm and snapped it like a branch. Magnus speared his brother with a blade of pure thought formed around his other hand. As Magnus held his brother transfixed and prepared to finish him off, the two wolf companions of the Primarch leaped at the legs of the Crimson King, sinking their jaws into his flesh.
Here theres proof that not only is Russ and honorless tool, but also that he's not immune to magic. So his earlier resistance is purely for narrative purposes. Otherwise Magnus would just win but thats not how the heresy goes so....

At the end of the day Magnus is nothing but a nerd. They always lose in direct confrontations.

>Most of the Sons werent even on Prospero.
>blatantly lying

>"While few specific numbers are mentioned, the bulk of the legion is believed to have been on Prospero at the time of the battle. A recall order had previously been transmitted through the legion, and while not all legionaires managed to arrive in time to be caught up in events"

>Battle for the Abyss (Novel) by Ben Counter

>Magnus teleported the one thousand two hundred forty-two surviving Thousand Sons to the Planet of the Sorcerers. Magnus himself had transformed into a being of aetheric energy and servant to a new patron . (The cross sum of 1242 happens to be 9, the holy number of Tzeentch.)

A Thousand Sons (Novel) by Graham McNeill Chapter Thirty-One

>bolterandchainsword.com/topic/322617-apparent-changes-in-the-hardback-volume-of-a-thousand-sons/
Retconned by Goulding himself.

>Wolves eat chocolate before battle
>Magnus kills Russ
>Space Wolves break
>Thousand Sons rally and Magnus recalls their fleet
>Attacking forces are forced to retreat
>Thousand Sons brood on Prospero as the Horus Heresy makes it impossible to for the Emperor to send anyone else after them
>Heresy basically goes as normal because Space Wolves contributed almost nothing even with Russ
>Magnus, who only ever turned out of sheer desperation, chooses to help the Loyalists

What happens?

>fighting fair and square against a wizard
Bitch that's like lesson 101 of "what not to do" on Veeky Forums, Russ did the correct thing by doing what he was tasked to do, kill Magnus no matter what.

>"but much honour"
Honour is wasted in the honourless, Magnus blatantly disrespected and actively defied the Emperor, he deserved no consideration.

>>Heresy basically goes as normal because Space Wolves contributed almost nothing even with Russ

Without Russ, the Alpha Legion and the Death Guard would have taken out the Khan.

>Russ did the correct thing by doing what he was tasked to do
By Horus. Top work.

>Magnus blatantly disrespected and actively defied the Emperor, he deserved no consideration.
>Rune priests
>Runic armour
>Psychic howl
The 'sin' he's their to arrest.. I mean kill Magnus for is also the only reason hes still alive. Russ's honour is a joke but still has to smart a little.

>taking baseless rumours from a literally who? On a worst than BoLS rumour mongering page as established hard facts
What are you, stupid?. JPEG

>thier
Fug. There*

It's changed user. I dont have the hard cover but its been sourced before.

I though it was like, a null had a bigger effect on you the more powerful a psyker you were.

Russ never professed to be honourable. Wold King has him saying that the Emperor choose him for the duty of fighting dirty wars and achieving results no matter the costs.

>implying it doesn't end in mass flesh changes everywhere in the TS legion and Tzeenchian major invasion to deny the TS to the loyalist
> meanwhile severely crippling Terra defences by destroying the custodians and sisters of silence
TS fags like to pretend they would had come out cleanly from this when it's obviously they always ruin everything for everybody.

>By Horus. Top work.
>Putting black library canon over GW cano
Retard-alert.JPEG
>Magnus blatantly disrespected and actively defied the Emperor, he deserved no consideration.
>Rune priests
Sanctioned prosecutors of the Emperor given the liberty to employ any means to bring the Emperor's judgement
>Runic armour
Sanctioned psychic wards
>Psychic howl
Sanctioned psyker abilities, the thousand sons were using unsanctioned Tzeenchian sorcery
>The 'sin' he's their to arrest.. I mean kill Magnus for is also the only reason hes still alive. Russ's honour is a joke but still has to smart a little.
Russ was not the honourable warrior, he was the Emperor's executioner tasked to persecute and wage dirty wars, basically black ops+russian kgb

>they'll end up increasing the thousand sons dead toll and change Ahriman's remark to "not even a tenth of the legion"
You know this to be true user, you're just desperately trying to pretend otherwise

>>Putting black library canon over GW cano

BL canon is GW canon. There is no separation between them.

And for the last time, Russ according to the novel, Russ wanted to take Magnus alive despite Horus telling him he was beyond saving.

>Putting black library canon over GW canon
I too prefer the IA fluff however BL is canon.

>Sanctioned prosecutors of the Emperor given the liberty to employ any means to bring the Emperor's judgement
>Sanctioned psychic wards
>Sanctioned psyker abilities
No proof I notice. Im sure this was all 'sanctioned' just like Russ journey to reprimand Angron was 'sanctioned' right?

>the thousand sons were using unsanctioned Tzeenchian sorcery
Also like there's a difference between sorceries lol.

magnus is strung up by the emperor personally, and is turned into a glorified servitor for the throne

40k is unchanged, except for the fact that the psychic choir is replaced with magnus, being kept in eternal, soul-flaying agony.

>Also like there's a difference between sorceries lol.

The source is the difference. Unlike the Grey Knights and the shamans of the White Scars and wuffs, the TS were empowering themselves with daemonic power.

>using matt ward daemons/daemons hunters outdated canon as fact
Gezz user you surely put me on my place

>No proof I notice. Im sure this was all 'sanctioned' just like Russ journey to reprimand Angron was 'sanctioned' right?
>Implying the Emperor wasn't aware of this
The sihilite send a psyker space solve to look over Sangüinius, they were aware of this and didn't censure him for this.

>Also like there's a difference between sorceries lol
>Believing the word of daemons
LoL no wonder why your retard legion fell to chaos.

>>And Russ, being a primarch, would.be partially immune to his powers.
>Explain?

Primarchs are hugely resilient. (Independent Character, Eternal Warrior, Fear,
Adamantium Will, Fleet, Fearless, It Will Not Die,
Master of the Legion, Precision Shots, Precision Strikes).

The Space Wolves themselves are apparently resistant to the warping influence of Chaos, despite the Wulfen thing (or possibly because of it - it may be an unintentional side-effect of producing Chaos-resistant geneseed).

>using matt ward daemons/daemons hunters outdated canon as fact
>Gezz user you surely put me on my place
Still no source I see so yeah pretty much.

>The sihilite send a psyker space solve to look over Sangüinius
You mean the guy that lied that he was still a rune priest to get onto Terra? Cause remember being psychic didnt get you punished using it did.

>Believing the word of daemons
>LoL no wonder why your retard legion fell to chaos.
Thats the Grey knights fluff. Unless its been retconned again and Emps only banned sorcery at Nikaea; therfore theres a distinction again then thats the fluff.

>So theres no explanation

There is, Russ has a large psyker resistance.
Earlier in the battle some of the Sons sorceries just bounce right off him.

>There is, Russ has a large psyker resistance.
And is there an inverse explanation for where this resistance comes from?

From the fact he is a Primarch and Primarchs have weird abilities, sometimes not even common to other Primarchs.

It was the will of the Emperor

>From the fact he is a Primarch and Primarchs have weird abilities
Has it been shown to work anywhere else? Why does it stop certain attacks but not others? See here Source?

There may have been a pariah or blank with them.

Guise, I don't mean to intrude, but isn't it a case of PLOT ARMOUR ?

Russ has to win because that's what the loose strings of GWs ancient background setting said.
So, no matter how powerful Magnus, no matter how many thousand sons, Russ breaks Magnus' back and wins.

It is known, khaleesi.

>Guise, I don't mean to intrude, but isn't it a case of PLOT ARMOUR ?
Without a doubt at this point. Seems to me it's just terrible writing. Have the reason he gets bane'd because he's too busy casting the spell to get the Sons off Prospero.

>Still no source I see so yeah pretty much.
It's a stated fact that sorcery relays in daemonic pacts and patronage to be achieved unlike the psykers who relay on their own psychic reserves, stop conveniently ignoring established canon

Source:
Sorcerers often take part in Daemonic Pacts to increase their powers through the use of Daemonic energy. This pact bargains some form of service or payment in return for a part of the Daemon's power. The Sorcerer can use this power to unleash staggering psychic powers, in the same way as Daemons use it to maintain their grip on reality. The greatest Sorcerers have dozens of daemonic pacts to increase their powers to unimaginable ends. While this can be useful and attractive, eventually a price must be paid by the Sorcerer.

Codex: Chaos Space Marines (4th Edition), pg. 31

>Has it been shown to work anywhere else?

His psychic resistance was demonstrated earlier in the novel yes.
Apart from that we've never seen him fight a psyker.

>Why does it stop certain attacks but not others?

Magnus probably put more oomph in the second. Resistance does not mean immunity.

>Mat with one t

Of all his unnumbered crimes, that is the greatest crime

Retconned.
5e onward sorcery is indistinguishable from psychic powers because they are one and the same.

>Codex: Chaos Space Marines (4th Edition), pg. 31
Kek. You really are buttflustered. You had to know that was out of date and still posted it.

See here >Magnus probably put more oomph in the second. Resistance does not mean immunity.
Its just narrative purposes at that point which makes the hole fight nonsensical.

In what way is it nonsensical?

>In what way is it nonsensical?
Because why didnt he put more oomph into a killing strike from range? Why didnt he focus his powers in away that would have made him win? Because he couldnt because thats what the plot said happened and that is the only reason Russ is resistant.

>implying fifth edition "everything is sorcery" isn't also retconned and also no longer mentione

All Matt ward canon was retconned and changed when he left GW.

>All Matt ward canon was retconned and changed when he left GW.
Sure it did champ.

Why dont you just go browse one of the archives so you can pretend it's 2009 again huh?

Magics for fags

>Because why didnt he put more oomph into a killing strike from range?

He wasn't aware that Russ was so resistant.
He attacks, does nothing and then on his very next attack hits him hard enough to crack his armour.
That's not nonsense but in fact perfectly logical.

The most nonsensical thing to the story wuld be the fact that the author knew before hand that Magnus needed to get wasted by Russ but spent the novel over hyping his psychic abilities.

>can't admit undeniable and up to date proofs from multiple sources across GW and BL that sorcery needs daemonic patronage to be "true" sorcery
>use old white dwarf article and out dated canon to prove his point
Yeah boy, I'm not the one who's wrong here' let me guess you equipped your tactical squads with heavy flamers after that other article in another white dwarf right?

>He wasn't aware that Russ was so resistant.
>That's not nonsense but in fact perfectly logical.
But it's clear that i not his full power so why did he stop there?

>Magnus needed to get wasted by Russ
This is the truth.

>but spent the novel over hyping his psychic abilities.
He's the second strongest 'human' psyker. They werent overhyping shit.

If I'm so wrong prove it lol. Just post the source that makes my stand point invalid. Apparently you've got a multitude so go ahead.

>But it's clear that i not his full power so why did he stop there?

Because you don't always use your full power all the time. If he had used his full power he probably would have killed Russ but then have gotten killed by the Space Wolves as he left himself exhausted. In turn the Thousand Sons would have been wiped out without Magnus to transport them to safety.

>He's the second strongest 'human' psyker. They werent overhyping shit.

Yes they were.

>Because you don't always use your full power all the time.
Worked pretty well for Emps against Horus. Beside youre using an extreme. He was shown to stop time to talk to Ahriman, I can think of something else he could have been doing. Maybe drop the defenses around Tizca to focus on the duel then after Russ is dead TP out.

None of this could happen because Russ couldnt die so they had to justify it somehow and thats 'warp resistance'.

>Yes they were.
So you think the powers Magnus showed are unreasonable as opposed to Malacdor or Lorgar?

>So you think the powers Magnus showed are unreasonable as opposed to Malacdor or Lorgar?
He means the legion going full sayian which is kinda ridiculous when the Grey knights who have the Emperor's gift can go that far and they are incorruptible.

>the Grey knights who have the Emperor's gift can go that far and they are incorruptible.
I don't follow sorry?

I meant can't, I'm sorry I made a mistake there.

What I meant to say is that even the grey knight who were made to have an edge even above the other marines on psyker mastery, can't pull that kind of shit that was written on the Thousand sons book.

> I'm sorry I made a mistake there.
All g I didnt want to misunderstand.

>can't pull that kind of shit that was written on the Thousand sons book.
The Sons spent the Great Crusade collecting knowledge and lore to get where they were. They also had their Primarch teaching them after studying on Prospero. What did the Sons do exactly that was so impressive in your opinion?

The Grey Knights doing what they do and never being corrupted is it's own type of special IMO.

>still uses outdated, no longer mentioned or supported lore as fact
>no mention of said lore in neither daemons or grey knight codex, or even the rulebook
> rulebook go as far as making distinction between brotherhood of psykers/sorcerers
If they're the same thing why is ere any necessity to make note a difference between the two of them?
>characters know as sorcerers are know to have demonic pacts as a part of their day to day unlike every other character know as psyker
For example:
>Atum Sum is a Sorcerer of the Thousand Sons. An acolyte of Ahriman, he is a master of the Daemonic. It is said he has a master over the ebb and flow of possibility, manipulating the shifting tides of the Warp to appear at any time and place he desires
> Karlsenbecame aChampion of Tzeentchand a veteran of theLong War, having fought against theImperiumsince the Horus Heresy. ASorcerer, Karlsen took part in nearly all of his Legion's significant history, including the fall ofProspero, theBattle of Terraand countless other combat actions. His lifespan unnaturally extended by his Chaotic patron, Karlsen went completely insane on more than one occasion due to the burden of his experiences, though he performed the ritual of theDark Communionon his mind whenever he could to safely store his memories.
> Ussax, also known as theBlight-Master, is aChaos Lordof theDeath Guard. Known to be one ofMortarion's inner circle ofSorcerers, he is well known by theOrdo Malleusand has been responsible for millions of deaths throughout the millennia. A warband leader commanding a contingent ofPlague Marines, he is said to be one of the most gifted Sorcerers within the Death Guard.
>basically every thousand son in the novel of the same name with their own daemon familiar

Cont.

Hell there's even examples of sorcerers failing to attain more power because they don't please their gods
> Porphyricusis aDeath GuardSorcerer, who once held the rank ofLibrarian, in hisLegionduring theGreat Crusade, before he joined his brothers in renouncing theEmperorand dedicated himself to theChaos GodNurgleduring theHorus Heresy. Despite this, after nearly 10,000 years in the service of Grandfather Nurgle, Porphyricus has barely received any favour from his patron. Frustrated and dismayed by this lack of recognition, Porphyricus has resorted to ever-more depraved ways to draw the attention of the Great Corruptor. Among the atrocities he has committed, was the creation of asorcerous plaguethat infected just one person at a time on theImperiumworld ofCastix VIII. When theGuardsmanwho was first infected died, the company medics thought the plague was gone, only to find someone else had been infected the next day. These peaks and troughs of hope and despair were Porphyricus's gift to Nurgle, but they went unnoticed.
If they didn't needed patronage from the daemon entities they would be referred as psykers, the moment they start receiving aid from the daemonic voices and struck pacts with the dark gods and their daemonic servants for forbidden lore they become sorcerers from that moment onwards.

Well even that has a major difference. Malcador wouldn't have to die on the Golden Throne when the Emperor fights Horus. Magnus, or Magnus' power at least, could be used instead of Malcadors life.

If Malcador had survived, there would at very least be a more organized and effective reconstruction after the Heresy.

He certainly wouldn't have chosen to leave the Emperor on the Throne indefinitely like his immediate successors did.

Magnus forgot to wolf Russ' wolf. Therefore Russ wolfed Magnus.

Kek.

He didn't have the spirit, the eye of da tiger when he faced Russ