/ysg/- Yog-Sothothery General

Party's Last Moment Edition

This thread is meant to inspire Lovecraftian Veeky Forums (like Delta Green and CoC) and discuss Lovecraft's works for inspiration along with anything else that fits into this genre or takes place in the Yog-Sothothery.

>The Texts of Lore that Men were not meant to know:
eldritchdark.com
hplovecraft.com/writings/texts/

>PDF Archive:

>Call of Cthulhu
mediafire.com/folder/h9qjka0i4e75t/Call_Of_Cthulhu

>Atchung! Cthulhu
mega.nz/#F!ywcHkIAA!ycphEhCOkbnjOvAQ4t7TBg

>Pulp Cthulhu
mega.nz/#!L9EFWSIT!o6clZxfdrVSOLkmcQz3wQ2Af9-hKsUxKc7214VynuY4

>AM1200
vimeo.com/102372269

>Recommend things to put in the next OP
>Please create a new thread when the Bump Limit has been reached and we are in the Lower Pages or if the old thread dies.
>If you don't, Nyarlathotep will shitpost in other threads

Other urls found in this thread:

youtube.com/watch?v=qLdyGjxbGLc
mediafire.com/folder/t6792v35951vg/Mike_Minnis_Wayback_Machine_Archive
religioustolerance.org/lds_mass.htm
twitter.com/NSFWRedditVideo

nice picture you have there, OP, i'd love to see more like it
yes, this is shameless bump

>Derleth is canon

What are the best ways to incorporate technology into the cthulhu mythos. I've always liked the idea of Warlocks keeping their grimoire on a tablet.

>mfw when Flash does not add more write faggotry to his setting

The classic trope of "Group attempts to Science at Otherworldly Science. It goes awry" is a classic.

For example, we had a group that found a way to broadcast a Wrong Colour over standard high definition televisions. They had a TV show buried on Not-Netflix that was only accessible to certain people. The show itself was nothing special, but they'd digitally replaced things, just a few things, with the Wrong Colour.

One way is "the actual ritual does the magic, written information about it is just that - written words that don't do anything even when read aloud".

So, the tablet is just like a regular notepad.

Or, "the symbols do magic shit when shown to someone, what they are written on is irrelevant".

The latter can even be an interesting hook. Something about stopping something memetic from spreading through the interwebz.

I kind of like the idea that the symbols of various outer gods having power on their own, so storing them on a computer would result in that power being split up into lots of tiny signals, I imagine these signals would then behave like a virus and propagate themselves, spreading through the internet and forming new random symbols and images causing all sort of random mythos bullshit to break out across the world.

All because you wanted to have the Necronomicon on your kindle

Pain incarnate

Can somebody post a comic where they explain cosmic horror?
It goes something like: "everything is meaningless, I'm gonna kill my family and they myself" "good".

Thanks!

It probably isn't this one, but here you go.

Yes, It was! thank you. I didn't remember a thing about it.

Have this one too.

Thanks!

bumpan!!

Carcosa Tracts

Golly, /ysg/ appears to have fallen into deathless slumber.

I have a couple of Delta Green questions.

I've been interested in the system for a few months, and have managed to track down PDFs for the Agent's Handbook and Need to Know. But neither book has much information on actually running a game. Is there a GM's guide that I'm missing? I've googled around and heard talk of a Case Officer's Handbook, but I can't find it.

Also, I've found a few premade operations - The Last Equation, Puppet Shows and Shadow Plays, and Convergence. Some of these seem to be made with the old CoC rules in mind, though. Is converting old modules to the new system difficult?

What kind of eldritch thing would make sense if it were to appear on a WWI battlefield and pass mostly-unnoticed but for the soldiers in the same sector? Ghouls? Trench shoggoth?

Snoozy Cthulu is cute as ftagn.

Summanus, the thing that feeds with tentacles. It's shaped like a man, and has a cult following that procure foodstuffs (people) for it.

Case Officer's Handbooks is not out yet. Wait and see. Converting things from Call of Cthulhu shouldn't be different, since the skills are relatively the same.

Some CoC scenarios account for the possibility that some of the characters are psychic. Delta Green doesn't yet have any of that.

That's Saron as hell.

Ghouls fucking loved the early 20th century.

Ghouls, they're just going to town on those corpses.

Imagine a ghoul that wound up in a KZ by mistake. Wouldn't it thrive?

There were always rumours that Under-Lord Salzar, or one of his contemporaries, tried to influence the Great War for the benefit of his flesh-eating clan.

It is said that Salzar sent secret messengers to the courts of both warring factions, informing them of the plans of their enemies... just in time to prepare a deadly defense, but not in time to organize an offensive strike or a countertattack. The price paid by both sides for this "valuable" information was said to be minor, and well worth the intelligence they received. They never considered that slaughter on the front lines was the true goal.

youtube.com/watch?v=qLdyGjxbGLc
Sort of makes me think of this.

Trenches were just the start, the upper portion of a vast network of tunnels, bunkers, storehouses, and command posts. Sappers sometimes encountered tunnels no human ever dug, tunnels that spiral down into the darkness, line with scraps of uniform and fragments of bone. Standard policy was to excise any mention of these tunnels from official reports, lest High Command send you and your squad into the darkness.

The German development of flamethrowers prior to Verdun now seems even more sinister, ditto the invention of the submachine gun. Perhaps that's why our doughboys were so pleased with the trench shotguns.

While the Ghouls gorged themselves on the dead, the living had other worries. Trench warfare inspired madness in many. Perhaps, even in most.

A few dabblers, mystics, and cabalists were swept up and sent to the front lines. While the Dreamlands were churned into a hell of mud and wire, anyone sensitive to such things lived a tormented life. Small wonder that some chose paths and powers that might end the terrible conflict, even if such a path damned them and all around them.

No one fought the ghouls - no one even knew there were ghouls to be fought. But there were always "enemy sappers" or "saboteurs" to be cleared from tunnels. High Command might paint the enemy as bloodthirsty monsters, but to believe that actual monsters lived just under the surface, emerging at night and in the fog to drag corpses below for gigantic feasts? How could such things be believed?

And of those soliders who, in desperation, fed on the flesh of their fellows and then vanished into the night, what can be said? The ranks of the Ghouls swelled in those days, as the disaffected, the nihilistic, and the mad shucked off their humanity and slowly became something else.

What else might get caught up in conscription?

You lazy fuck. Are you incapable of contributing?

Cultists. Lots of them. Various shard and splinter cults form up all over the frontlines, merging, splitting, mixing, reassembling and fighting each other. Each with its own goals and methods. In certain places, even the side you were fighting for didn't matter - only the shape of the charm you were desperately clutching in your pocket, instinctively trying to stave off insanity.

Trying not to make it a circlejerk of my own ideas, guy

Sometimes, even regular soldiers turned to the unnatural, when patriotic ideals and religion failed to keep the morale up. All measures were used for the sole purpose of winning the battle, and the war. Rites of blood conducted right in the mud of the trenches, aiming to summon a terrifying entity from beyond the stars to break through the enemy lines, horrifying chants that cause the dead to rise up and march onto the enemy stronghold, and mind-rending impossible symbols painted in non-existent colors on the banners held high - all of this could be noticed, if you knew what to look for.

Maybe try something more intangible. Something laying around, getting fat by feeding off of the human suffering and insanity all around it. Something to start pulling at your player's minds to drive them out in to no man's land to kill at any cost.

The price of many miles was counted not only in blood, pain, and lives, but also minds and souls. Industrialized warfare did terrible things to the human mind, things not fully understood, and thus it became the perfect cover for things man was never meant to know. How does one know that the things he perceives are not halucinnations caused by shell shock? And how does one know what is real, and what is not? Does it even matter when you can die tomorrow, today, right now? Did your comrades really walk to the no man's land in the dead of night and never return, and in the morning you wake up on the cold ground, only to see that both the enemy and your lines gone as if they never existed? Or was it all a nightmare of a deserter who stole a weapon, a uniform, and forged his documents?

Somehow I don't believe you.

It was almost perfect. The gas hid the hideous creature perfectly. One could not tell the difference between a fellow soldier choking on the noxious fumes and the gurgles of those caught by the hideous creatures that dwelled within it.

And sometimes, perfectly ordinary men and women were drawn into the feuds of cultists and gods. Cultists were not often prepared for the horrors of war, and any agendas they once had were sometimes lost in the mire.

>there is a canon

It moved like quicksilver, and it didn't change speeds as it faded away. It was as thin as wax paper, but the bullet holes filled in immediately, like wet paint. It mostly ate horses - mostly - but people too. It could clear an entire trench line in a few moments.

And it only came with the gas - it faded away when the winds changed, taking its latest meal with it. Where? Who can say.

The War allowed some nations and groups freedom to perform experiments that would not be possible in peacetime. While it might be difficult to find twenty sound men to march into a stone portal in Scotland, prisoners of war, deserters, and other "undesireables" provide an easy source of almost anything useful. Need thirty pints of blood, drained from the right hands of murderers? You'd have to spend a month scouring prisons across the isles.

Paperwork was always a shambles. Prisoners vanished all the time... as well as the wounded, from both sides. Many of those "Missing in Action" went missing far from the trenches, recalled while on leave or snatched from hospitals. Some were given as tribute to mortal or immortal powers, while others met far worse fates.

Deep Ones, they'd not be happy about but they'd have been conscripted so long as they were still mostly, probably end up with stretches of the front manned by soldiers with the Innsmouth look

someone should make these lovecraft tracts a real thing and hand them out at mormon schools.

And the blood welled up on Earth and the Black Pharaoh smiled. All this just because he had put some whispers in the right places and got an Archduke killed.

They'd probably get lynched.

>Mormons
>Lynching

What?

There's no love lost between me and the Mormon church, but generally Mormons were the ones getting lynched, not the other way around. It still plays into their massive persecution complex to this day.

Anybody try the new Arkham Horror card game?

I like the campaign aspect too it, but also fear it will hurt the replay value. FFG is planning on releasing plenty of expansions to add more scenarios and campaigns, but I fear for my wallet when it comes to that business model.

Anybody else have thoughts?

A trench cultist, drunk on absinthe bought on furlough and half-delirious from eating cordite cuts his palm. The vasodilatory effects of the nitroglycerin in the cordite ensures his blood runs freely, and he begins to negotiate with the entity the absinthe allows him to glimpse. He asks for small things. Dud shells to fall here, gas to be blown forward instead of onto their own trench, dry weather. He offers blood, and the weeks' produce of the machine-gun team in their sector.

How would you guy's go about doing a Christmas scenario?

you could always find a way to turn Santa Claus into an eldritch abomination, doesn't ToC have a section on turning existing mythological figures into mythos entities

By trying way too hard to pretend the monster isn't just the grinch or some such.

>How Nyarlathotep stole Christmas
...You know, that'd be fully in character for him. What an asshole.

ToC?

Haven't tried it for just that reason user: the business model sucks if you have no money. I can't afford to keep these businesses alive with my money! So it has to be classic pen'n paper rpg's for me...thank Cthulhu imagination is free.

Trail of Cthulhu, lovecraftian investigative rpg

Grampus. Stealing naughty children out of the world. Effectively erasing their existences. Leaving behind only the smallest of faint feeling, and obscurest of clues.
>Fallen over ride tricycle
>Billy never lived here

Most humans on Earth within the Skin of Yog liked Christmas a lot, but Nyarlathotep, the Faceless God, did not.
Ol' Nyarly hated Christmas! The whole Christmas season!
Now, please don't ask why, there was no fathomable reason.

Then he turned around and gave us 'nukes' a couple decades later.

Hey y'all. Gonna be running that DG oneshot about Tcho-Tcho running a restaurant in Philly tonight for my group to get them antiquated with DG. So to that one user who made it, thanks!

Guy who wrote that scenario here, glad to hear it. If you get any playtest data or critiques out of it I'd love to hear it.

I have a copy from a month ago. Have you significantly changed anything?

No, I've been wanting to playtest it myself before working on it more but I haven't gotten a chance to.

It's two new players. One is gonna be a slightly older Marine and the other is a conscripted con who gets a year off a life sentence every mission he completes. So them dealing with this mess is gonna be hilarious.

Sounds like they're gonna have a hell of a time, hope you guys like it.

Have some Mythos fiction

mediafire.com/folder/t6792v35951vg/Mike_Minnis_Wayback_Machine_Archive

It could be his Masks were too tight
It could be his Ushek Collar didn't fit right
But I think the most likely reason of all
Was his Masters made him feel two sizes too small.

religioustolerance.org/lds_mass.htm

That seems more a past thing

Oh, good lord.

What's the elder god most likely to get in the way of the others? Fuck up their plans, inconvenience them for the inscrutable lulz, etc?

If you mean actual Elder God, Nodens the Hunter.

If you just mean powerful Eldritch Horror: Nyarlathotep

I've never even heard of Nodens.
Nyarly was what I was thinking.
Is Nyarly the King in Yellow in some or all interpretations?

Nope, that's Hastur

Actually, it's theorized he could be the King in Yellow.

Nodens is the eldritch equivalent of a big game hunter who targets the Great Old Ones.

No.
Narly is Azathoth, not Hastur.
Only A is accompanied by the mad piping...