Never played dungeons and dragons how do i get into it and understand it

this is the miniature i have whats the best character sheet i could match with it

Other urls found in this thread:

youtube.com/watch?v=GvfkzMeSGfQ
ef.com/english-resources/english-grammar/
twitter.com/SFWRedditGifs

>how do i get into it and understand it
Read the Playser Handbook
>whats the best character sheet i could match with it
Probably one made out of paper.
Class-wise you probably want to play a Fighter or Paladin

just searched up the players handbook is like $60au
what benefits do i get from being a paladin and or fighter compared to the rest

Hello, fellow noob.
Try downloading the book from trove linked in this thread: Then READ IT

Yeah, rulebook can be expensive. You can probably buy a .pdf for less, or just pirate a copy if you want. Also there's several editions of D&D but you'll probably want to get 5th ed, which is the most recent one.

Anyway Fighters are weapon experts who generally specialize in close quarters fighting while wearing heavy armor to increase their defensive capabilities. They're your basic medieval mercenary or soldier type.

Paladins are Holy Warriors for Good that are your typical knight in shining armor. They also specialize in close quarters fighting and heavy armor but instead of the weapon training and tricks the Fighter gets they instead have holy magic and abilities that are effective at combating evil creatures like undead and demons.

if im playing with a wizard and a barbarian which class should i choose fighter or paladin my other friends undecided on his class aswell

>what benefits do i get from being a paladin and or fighter compared to the rest

As a Paladin, you're a useless wannabe Cleric who has to follow a restrictive code that allows the GM to strip you of all your meager abilities should you accidentally break it.

As a Fighter, you're nothing more than a meat shield for the Wizard until he's strong enough to take care of combat himself. Then you're completely useless.

In general, you want a party to have at least one of each of the classic RPG archetypes: tank, healer, DPS (Damage Per Second) and control.

Barbarians are DPS classes with a fair bit of tankiness to them. Wizards are mostly control classes with some DPS.

You'll want a healer in your party, as healing is pretty damn essential in DnD. If your friend chooses not to play a healer, I'd suggest playing a paladin. Paladins make passable healers at lower levels.

Should your friend choose to play a healer, pick whatever you like most.

Play whatever you want, in either case the Barbarian is going to be sharing your role as a front line meat shield. Paladin will let you heal a little bit though. Which you don't have in your party unless your friend picks a divine casting class like Cleric or Druid.

I prefer not to use video game terms but you're mostly correct. Though you're forgetting out of combat roles like trap finder and party face. Paladins are great face characters though.

I thought wizards were just crowd control. Warlocks are the real damagers.

Wizards don't beat encounters by dealing damage.
They do it by turning encounters in on themselves, breaking their offense, taking away their ability to act, changing their nature of circumventing them completely.
They deal with everything a fighter can better than a fighter and with every a fighter can't on top of that.

Take ranger. If you are don't want to have animal companion you can either trade it away for other class feature or just don't take it until you feel you are okay with it. Fighters actually need a good system mastery to keep them afloat. Rangers are much easier.

True but a fighter is for making enemies stick to him, the more he can engage the safer he makes every one else. Basically a living wall. I doubt wizards deflection can save them from normal attacks for long if the enemy lasts through their cc.

You need a good combination of classes regardless.

If you want to play 3.pf, you can use the website
d20pfsrd
Otherwise if you don't want to buy the books you can look into downloading pdfs, there's tons for free floating around the internet.

>a fighter is for making enemies stick to him
...but has no ability to do so.
>a living wall
...that most enemies can just walk around, if they even need to.
>if the enemy lasts through their cc
...which they rarely do.

You just need a good combination for the first five levels. Past that, Wizards (or CoDzillas) become the good combination.

Reach and trip/sunder/bullrush/otherattackmanuever on AOO is there answer.

Until they have stupid high cmd from 8 legs or other monster bullshit.

You could even use the feat Step Up.

Or if you really wanted to play tank, 3.pf aid another cavalier is really good at it, by level 5. And scales really well. Damage is something to be desired but its not your job so w/e.

Harder against monsters with tons of saves effects... it aint perfect but its the best damn tank if ever there was one in dnd.

This video will tell you a lot.
youtube.com/watch?v=GvfkzMeSGfQ

This website has great character sheets.
ef.com/english-resources/english-grammar/

Where do you think those terms came from? That's right the so called holy trinity of DPS-Heals-Tanks originated in tabletop games. The terms were just codified in vidya.

Someone likes casters a bit too much I think.

What the fuck is wrong with aussie prices? Their dollar can't be worth that little, it's less than half that much in burgerstan.

It's common knowledge that Paizo and WotC like casters a bit too much.

Australians are a lot better paid and have more codified workers rights than Americans.Couple that with the tyranny of distance and our relatively small population base and most companies will use this as an excuse to charge through the nose for everything above and beyond what would adjust for these factors. The computer industry is particularly bad for this.

here you go

For a newbie, the best advice I can give you is to have fun and to ask the guy running the game when you have questions. Every game plays a bit differently and sometimes they are going to be the only ones to know.

is there a d and d version of that and also thanks to everyone for help