GM Help: Cursed Mask For Player

So i need help making a usable cursed mask for a low level thief.

I like to create artifacts personally for each of my players and i decided to make this one cursed but make it easy to steal in comparison.

Like i said, low level thief so not very good and not many tools to get the job done, HOWEVER they do have one artifact already kinda, their diety has promised them if they manage to steal her cloak then they can keep it, and the cloak turns the user invisible completely.

so the only thing the mask can't do is turn them invisible.

tl;dr Cursed mask that a thief would wear despite the consequences.

Other urls found in this thread:

youtube.com/watch?v=NFjE5A4UAJI
twitter.com/SFWRedditVideos

Allows them to see through walls for one hour after putting it on. Can't be removed until it's been worn for one full day.

Let's them "see" the fastest path out of wherever they are. It's not always the safest however

Disguises them to one person as whoever they desire. Disguises them as a monster to everyone else

Speaks for them with incredible wit and charisma, yet visually they will be horrifying. Can switch these (beautiful yet offensive whenever they speak)

Add time constraints, it latches on for x hours/a day, so that they have to deal with the negative consequences

Why not just make it work like the Grey Fox's mask from oblivion

You can see all valuable loot. It's highlighted for him. Makes all traps are invisible.

A mask that makes nothing notice his presence

He can't be discovered, but teammates can't hear him, he can't activate pressure plates for example, etc

The mask that can provide insights and darkest secrets of anyone he can see.
Problems is, this stuff is mostly useless and telling about ANYONE he can see, even an animals. It doesn't have a off button.

>He can't just stop masturbating.
>He farted into someone's face
>They love each other.
>She really, really loves her peanut butter and jelly sandwiches.
>It barked yesterday about 521 times.

The mask bestows a disguise self effect, with a small bluff bonus to acting the role of the illusion.

As you wear the mask, the bonus to bluff increases, but you have to start making will saves to not forget who you really are.

Pic related for aesthetics. It's probably my favorite mask in gaming.

The mask amplifies the effects of other artifacts by whatever amount you, the GM feel like, but requires a will save to remove. Every attempt to remove leads to the next becoming increasingly difficult. Eventually it become non removable, occupying that slot permanently. His soul however is now bound to the mask, and if killed he could possess another who dons the mask.

I just created this little thing that I am to spring on my players in a few hours.

Mask of "Laughing in the face of danger."

Cursed. Once attuned it can't be removed.

Fearless. The attuned wearer is immune to fear and being frightened.

Impulsive. The attuned wearer gains advantage on their Initiative rolls and a disadvantage on all Wisdom checks and saves, which also means their passive perception is lowered by 5.

youtube.com/watch?v=NFjE5A4UAJI

Not OP but that's pretty neat, I might steal that.

Benefit: Allows the wearer to disguise themselves as anyone who has previously worn the mask.

Curse: Usage of the mask makes you start to believe the mask is your own face. Extreme distress accompanies attempts at removing it. Prolonged usage leads you to fully believe the mask is your own face, as are all of the faces the mask is capable of imparting. Identity crisis results. At this point, removing the mask reveals a smooth featureless face underneath, the wearer's face having been stolen by the mask and added to its repetoire of disguises

GREY FOX

if it's on permanently, how does one eat?? Or does every body the player inhabits starve to death?

That seems oddly fitting and in keeping with the possession thing.

Make it so that if someone takes of that mask IT WOULD BE EXTREMELY PAINFUL

>The Paladin knows you bilked the party out of some loot, again.
>Isn't mad. Just disappointed.

How could a low-level thief make good use of a mask that makes everyone suddenly care about him?

it would be more effective if he was a big guy.

Mask of enlarge person

Become the most successful beggar and not even have to work for the money.

Or become the adopted son/daughter of a rich family.

Gives them cryptic clues in the form of symbols that appear for them. Can be anything from 'this door is locked' to 'this person is untrustworthy' or 'upcoming ambush'. However, is sentient and has its own goals, could be willing to deceive them in order to achieve them, or even royally fuck them over. Have fun with the mask's intent.

Could also have the rogue not know what all the signs mean at first, they have to work them out.

or a successful spy!

The mask is extremely intimidating. Anyone viewing it must make a will save or become afraid of the wearer.
However it also chips away at the wearer's psyche by visiting him with nightmares and false visions. Most become paranoid wrecks from prolonged exposure.

Once per day, grants the user invisibility for 1d4 rounds, but blinds the user for that duration afterwards.

It copies the memories of anyone who wears it, and when worn, can be asked about the last person to wear it.

Makes interrogations incredibly easy, but if someone steals it, they know everything about the thief and can hunt him down.

Tracheotomy

So, here's my idea.

The mask once belonged to a professional thief. I would say a famous thief, but this guy was so good that he never became know. The mask contains all of his memories and knowledge (and soul, but the wearer doesn't know that) and will guide the wearer through the best routes and give the wearer uncanny advice.

Seems nice and dandy at first, but after a while, the wearer becomes more reliant on it. Then, the mask will start to recommend to leave it on, insisting that it can't help him if he takes it off. It will become more and more demanding of the wearer's actions, until it has taken such a powerful hold that he has to make a will save to take it off. The longer he wears it, the more the mask will take over until, worst comes to worst, the mask will shunt the wearer's soul out of his body, and the long dead, cursed thief will finally steal his greatest prize yet.

Same guy?

Yes, his name is Teevee.

Mask that can locate or identify magical items.

Compels the one that puts it on to destroy certain magical items that it deems "Too dangerous to be used".

self bump before I'm off

the mask makes the user extremely Charismatic, but the inside is filled with tiny squirming tendrils, Will saves are required to not throw the mask off in disgust.