Old School Magic Edits Thread

Cast you mind back to the early 90's, Veeky Forums. Whitney Houston was topping the charts with "I Will Always Love You". Jurassic Park was redefining the summer blockbuster, and a recently paroled Tim Allen taught us how to laugh and love again on Home Improvement. But, perhaps most importantly, basment dwelling wastes of space were playing a hot new card game, fresh out of Seattle, called Magic: The Gathering.

This thread is all about taking the clean, well designed cards of today and re-imagining them as the ugly, poorly worded, but undeniably charming cards of the 90's.

So grab your snap bracelets, flannel shirts, and "Impeach Clinton" bumper stickers and join me in the Old School Edits Thread!

Other urls found in this thread:

msetemps.sourceforge.net/phpBB3/viewtopic.php?t=144
twitter.com/AnonBabble

Not super sure about the wording on this one.

Tightened up the wording on this one from last time. Now the abilities can only be used during your main phase

I purposefully made the "Double Strike" reminder text murkier on this one. It's remain basically unchanged since Legions, but this seems to fit in the "needlessly wordy" theme of early 90's Magic.

I really like this one. It's mostly based on the way The Hive was worded in Alpha. They REALLY spelled tokens out back then.

>Using art from a real Magic card on a fake Magic card
No fuck you

>fake Magic card
Okay, look, you know what I meant. My point stands.

Shit, is it? What's it from?

non-basic was a thing as early as the dark, also some of the cards here refer to creature cards which wouldn't include token creatures

All in all I like these though.

Ok, good to know. I was having trouble finding when non-basic was first mentioned. And that's a good point about "creature cards", should I just say "creatures in play"?

Change "it is dead" to "bury it" as you could regenerate a dead creature.

It's taken directly from Weakness from Alpha. I like the worse wording.

>Dat text

Was it made for ants!?

Bummer. Really like that art.

Ask your local Magic the Gathering retailer about Wizards Brand magnifying lenses!

Speaking of walls of text

Got a template for gold-bordered?

>that art

If you mean the background, it should happen automatically when you use the "Old Style" or "Abu Style" template in Magic Set Editor and put two or more colors in the casting cost.

Absolutely disgusting

>Current year
>Not liking perms and boob windows

The 4th edition Black card template looks really good.

And now the green card with barely related, half-baked pagan imagery that one of the developer's cousins made, as is tradition.

Holy shit, planeswalkers do NOT work in this format.

Buddy, thats not how experience works. make that shit wordier and how the rules work.

Challenge accepted.

How's this for ya?

>that art
You sly fucker

Much better, these cards look better when they are horrid walls of text

I agree.

I do that, but it doesn't look like the old alpha-style faded look I see people posting here. Is it an add-on?

Oh, yeah, that's the "Abu Style". The templates are linked on their site. Here ya go.
msetemps.sourceforge.net/phpBB3/viewtopic.php?t=144

danke

>any non-wall creature
But that's wrong, Alesha's ability can totally get walls.

Proliferate isn't just creatures and players, it's all permanents and players.

Yeah, I debated whether or not to put that in there. Ultimately I decided that this is probably what that card would say if it came out in '93 based on what other cards of the era said and would have been errata'd at some later point.

Anyone got any ideas on how to make this clunkier?

>loose

Shit piss ass motherfucking cunt nigger bitch I knew I forgot to fix something

needs to have "only any time you could cast a sorcery" somewhere.

It's most of the first line.

Note the reference to Floral Spuzzem.

Haha, another self aware card, eh? You should find some shittier art for it, though.

That you put fear as a keyword at all, let alone the reminder text, is a complete failure.

Ah, you're right. That wasn't keyworded until Onslaught. Here's a better version. Got any cards you wanna post?

you forgot to add the cast trigger.

add "tapping enchanted creatures can be played as an interrupt"

Flash should be worded more like "you may play this card as an interrupt"

lifelink and "sprit link" are two separate abilities. You might be better off just saying "damage dealt by Atraxa also gains you that much life"

In general people need to remember that "bury" meant "destroy without possibility of regeneration". You can refer to cards in the graveyard in alpha rules text. See Animate Dead for some idea on how to word it.

That's true, that effect happens even if the spell is countered, right? Ok, what's a good clunky way to word this?
Well, the creatures aren't enchanted and I think technically would be as a "mana source" not an interrupt.

That seems true. I need to look further into the difference between an instant and an interrupt.

This one wasn't me, but yeah, it should probably be "Gain 1 life for every 1 damage Atraxa does."

Bury is actually somewhere between "destroy without possibility of regeneration" and sacrifice. That's why I specified "an effect forces an opponent to bury a card in play they control" instead of just "whenever a card an opponent controls is buried." It's imperfect, but I think it's a good approximation.

"Casting ~ lets you remove two target permanants from the game"

I'd consider creatures with crypolith rite to be "enchanted" I'm trying to think of some awkard way of phrasing it.

instant can be reacted to and interrupt didn't is mostly the difference. Think Split-second.

should also point out that Bury doesn't show up until like... Ice Age.

Ok, I think I found the answer. Pic related came out in 1997 and has been errata'd to say Flash. Interrupt was made obsolete in 1999, so this card existed originally at the same time Interrupt did. So, the text should be the same as pic related.

OH NO WAIT I THOUGHT OF A BETTER WAY TO WORD IT. Word it like counterspell!

"Exiles 2 permanents as Ulamog is being cast"

>should also point out that Bury doesn't show up until like... Ice Age.
Oh shit, you're right. That's odd, I could have sworn it was there from the beginning. Odd. Alright, I'll make some revisions.
That's perfect. Nailed it.

I dabbled a bit.

I know I cheated a bit by using Shandolin Dryad's art here but I think this about as close as I'm going to get to explaining Dryad Arbor in ABU speak.

forgot picture.

No don't change it. Remember there were cards in Alpha without a mana cost.

Still the best.

Wouldn't this just be "bury it"?

Bury was actually added a bit later. This is the original wording of the effect.

Hey, so I have a question. What would be the best way to make proxies from these?(or really any of them)

I play EDH and some of these would have a really nice look. I don't mind if it costs anything to print them, I'm looking for something that is the right size/shape/feel in a sleeve. I own the cards that I want to use it for too, just be neat to have something like in an old-school artifact EDH deck.

Is my best bet just printing it out and glueing it to a basic land or something? or is there a cardstock i could use that works.

Where are you getting all this dankass old school art? I love it.

A lot of it is classic D&D art.