Dwarf thread

Dwarf thread.
Let's talk about important dwarf things.

Best mineral for crafting (armor, weapons or trinkets)?
Girls: Beards or no beards. If no beards, then long sideburns?
What's the quintessential dwarf mount, goat, boar or bear?

Other urls found in this thread:

youtube.com/watch?v=TpsFWBzDHkk
youtube.com/watch?v=QNAZom3jbKg
youtube.com/watch?v=ytWz0qVvBZ0
youtube.com/watch?v=7TmZFm6NHfA
youtu.be/NQYTKw9W34k
youtube.com/watch?v=BCjoi5MH7oc
youtube.com/watch?v=R1gF0uhHsqk
twitter.com/AnonBabble

dwarf samurai

Sure.

Can I just post about my dwarves?

>Mounts
goat is for generally getting around
boar for hunting/war

Ran a dwarf cavalier that rode a bear as the captain of the town guard as a DM once.

The party challenged him to a series of fights and it was one of the most testosterone filled pit fights I'd ever seen.

Go ahead.
Everything dwarf here.

>mithril
>long sideburns, marginal beards for women who would translate as particularly mannish to us
>goat's a GOAT

But my Dwarves are Phoenicians, not little vikings.

>Best mineral for crafting (armor, weapons or trinkets)?
I prefer basic iron and steel, nice and stable. reliable and predictable.
>Girls: Beards or no beards. If no beards, then long sideburns?
if short and braided then yes.
> dwarf mount,
>mount
You're just going to break the poor thing's back. and in full armour you've going to have very little to pick up.
I'd prefer to go to war on chariot, you can actually wear armour.
and my dwarves are proppa celts
i will also accept sumerians.
sumerian dwarves might be the best

That's cool.

Too landlocked for what I need.

Question, oh masters of dwarvishness: do my dwarves still count as dwarves, or do they need to be renamed entirely?

* Were originally the inventors of metallurgy.
* Used runic crafting and elemental magic over storm, earth, fire, metal, ice and magma to produce magical constructs and wondrous artifacts.
* Got into a world-war with the elves (who're arrogant necromancers & fleshcrafters who came from another planet).
* Used alchemy on captured elf soldiers to create orks in hopes of using them against the elves. Orks got out of control.
* Ended up blowing the planet to magical hell and back.
* Surviving purebloods are isolationistic, xenophobic and proud; determined to rebuild their fallen empire at all costs.
* Very clan-focused. Honor the clan and prove yourself worthy.
* Maybe draw upon aspects of Warhammer's Slayer Cult for to explain Dwarf Barbarians.
* Mildly mutated dwarves became Forgeborn Dwarves - a 4e-inspired subrace consisting of dwarves with innate elemental powers, like resistance to fire and cold.
* Forgeborns either live outside of the pureblood clans or are second class citizens within them.
* Heavily mutated dwarves became rock/tinker gnomes, obsessed with magic and science.
* Gnomes are not accepted as kin by all save the most tainted (liberal) forgeborn dwarf clans.

>Best mineral for crafting?
Adamantine be the only contender. All others be mere pretenders.

>Girls: Beards or no beards.
Beards above, and beards below! Both for pleasure, one for show!

>the quintessential dwarf mount, goat, boar or bear?
The greatest mount is of course the boar. Of a mount, we could ask no more.

Just give them a vaguely dwarvish sounding name.
Dagi, Dvergi, Volgirn etc.

Adamantine

Long sideburns

Whatever is appropriate for where they live

It seems relatively hewn clean.
Your dwarves do not seem to be all that radically different from any other type of dwarf.
You might want to denote them as more morally downstanding people. because there is a difference between forced genetic experimentation and being an isolationist traditionalist culture.
Dawi-zharr

I feel like bearded would fit dorf lore better, but beardless is more in tune with my decidedly human tastes.

Needs more Z's and/or X's.
Draxhrazar
Hrazaxa

Why it all depends on the thing in question.

You use soft and precious metals for jewelery and fine detail work.

Primarily you use stone for resisting compressive forces and steel for resisting high tensile forces.

There is no suit of armour so light as leather padding and no mace so heavy as one weighted with lead.

Me cousin Okri went into battle in a suit of stone armor, once.

Second from the left is a cutie.
Would marry.

If not her, then the one directly below.

>Draxhrazar
>Hrazaxa
those are terrible.
it sounds like some warcraft demon name
Muirthemne is a better anme

>when the temperature on the dance floor keeps rising but you're not done dancing yet

>pussyass humans not even in contact with the fire start crying
>forgebreakers literally enveloped in fire and they keep fighting

>once.

Sounds about right.

Goats are the first wave of shock cav. The rams are great for breaking shield walls unless they are poncy elf shits that can somehow benchpress a ram and a dwarf rider both in full war loadout.

After the rams hit and break the line then the boars and bears charge in.

And dont forget some twirly whirlies.

youtube.com/watch?v=TpsFWBzDHkk

Be nice to the humans, they are our honored friends. Even the worst of us is better than their best, and if we trade with them there's no need to worry about not pulling the elf lever when we need to.

What's your dwarf theme?
youtube.com/watch?v=QNAZom3jbKg

youtube.com/watch?v=ytWz0qVvBZ0

>What's the quintessential dwarf mount, goat, boar or bear?

Dwarves in my setting ride giant beetles, so there's that. Mostly burrowing species, but some can fly.

But then it should be giant moles.

Lady are loli with bun hair, only untying it when alone or with those close to them!
Mount are mole! Gaint hairy mole.
Imagination is the greatest crafting material.

Real question: dwarf anatomy is proportion to their human or they are just short limb like midget?

>dwarf anatomy is proportion to their human or they are just short limb like midget?
Neither.
They are dwarf proportioned.

I feel like a goat would be best. Bears maybe, because they're badass, but they'll still fuck you up, and they don't do well in groups. Pigs are too smart and willful, they'll roll you off or gore you or some shit. I think an oversize goat would be good at climbing, could eat fucking anything you could find for it over or under the mountain, and would be just dumb enough to properly tame.

Elves.

Most Mountain Dwarves have finely made steel weapons of some sort but the upper echelons of Mountain Dwarf society have Adamantine weapons/armor.

Non-Mountain Dwarves tend to not have finely made steel weapons and armor unless they where the smiths to forge them.

No Beards

The quintessential Mountain Dwarf mounts are a special breed of Mountain goat that is the size of horses.

Non-Mountain Dwarves rise horses like everyone else.

What're ye talking' about laddy? Those pole-proportioned dendrophilias couldn't pull a grain wagon if they're lives depended on it. First hand experience in this regard.

>those forearms
Christ, what the hell is in that ale? Steroids?

Warhammer Fantasy dorfs da best

Iron. Sturdy and endlessly versatile. Heavy as fuck though...

Dire Goat in glorious armor that bears the symbol of your clan. Preferably the goat is one you personally raised since it was a little billy.

>tfw you will never craft Mjolnir nor Gungnir

I think 'e meant 'mount', Bufr.

>Girls: Beards or no beards?

Long, beautiful, thick-ass hair. Like the glorious mane of a lion, finely braided and plaited into every style imaginable; piled high, long and hung with a faux-axe head, braid-hawk, whatever she wants.

She's gotta make as much of a statement as the guys do with their beards anyhow. And she and her girlfriends can spend their free time styling each other's hair and chatting.

Just like dwarf men do in their free time.

youtube.com/watch?v=7TmZFm6NHfA

Disgusting.

youtu.be/NQYTKw9W34k

Some lads like their girls twiggy, Bufr. Me, I like my lasses with real hips and meat on them.

>best mineral
Wrought iron is what will get you through the day when it comes to tools, but due to their almost universal poverty they're usually forced to make do with things like bronze or pig iron. They used to make things in a very high quality steel, but that changed when Nidhoggr turned almost every person in their greatest empire into demons. Some communities that live by the blood lakes often get into feuds with the lizard people there, as dwarves are superior smiths when it comes for forging sanguinite.
Wandering dwarves are fond of things like chalk, as they have a tendency of leaving messages for other vagabonds.

>girls: beards or no beards
Depends on the location. Dwarves closer to human settlement/more distant from their old traditions as the greatest empire on this new Earth tend to follow more conventionally human practices, and sometimes even the men will shave. It helps them fit in, especially those who aren't fully demon or dwarven, who will be out of place no matter where they go. Traditional dwarven women generally don't shave, though, which you can see in some settlements untainted by the demon scourge. It's not unheard of for traditional dwarves to shave, but usually they only shave due to conditions affecting their skin, like rashes or acne. Dwarves that can't grow beards are often ridiculed by their peers in these kinds of societies.

>quintessential dwarf mount
Whatever gets them from point A to point B without breaking down, or whatever is flashiest if the first isn't a problem. They're very utilitarian at their poorest, but they rub it in your nose the moment they're making bank. It's part of their old programming as manufactured soldiers. Elves have similar wiring, but everyone thinks that the Elves are just a legend.

For my setting it's specifically bred musk-ox.

Post female dwarves. I have a great trouble visualizing them. Do you give them beards?

Sure

No beards, but very long and glorious head-hair.

the dragon's crown dwarf is my favorite dwarf
youtube.com/watch?v=BCjoi5MH7oc
possibly the dwarfiest we mere mortals will ever get to feel in a game

I think the best is no beards, but long ass hair which they treat with the respect as males treat their beards.

Hematite.

No beards.

None but my own feet. Mounting animals is for humans and other pansies that wish to impale themselves on my pike wall.

I'm finding it difficult to argue with this.

Aye they're pretty great

>do humans have pointed ears?

NO BEARDS
HUGE JUGS

Someone pls post FB slayers

Dwarves is the cause of most human towns, they come in, find an metal vein with their big sniffers, turn that little town into a dwarven metropolis then when they've dug too deep they just fuck off as quickly as they came, leaving the poor town above fall into the sinkhole as the dwarves rip out pillars and supports to cut costs.

Dwarves, never once.

Dwarves really lucked out when it comes to their models in certain games.

>I think the best is no beards, but long ass hair which they treat with the respect as males treat their beards.

I can get behind this

nope. they are pretty good, but they are not better or worse than warcraft dwarves. tolkien dwarves are worse. nobody nailed dwarves yet desu.

>but long ass hair
Would they braid their ass hair, then?

wish there were dwarves in Diablo, would be interesting to see how they would turn out in such setting
pic gay af
dwarves without beards = not dwarves

Badum tish!

armored moles.
tough, mamilian so husbandry is easier, milk,
and they are easy to control.
and a cheap source of leather that's tougher then any cow or house.

what are the best ways to clean up my mountain halls if they are infested with goblins?

Find an alchemist and gas them with a colorless, odorless concoction pumped into the halls via the ventilation shafts while they sleep.

>tolkien dwarves are worse
You take that back

youtube.com/watch?v=R1gF0uhHsqk

I you have have a problem there lad.
Now goblin are a terrible stain, they get into everything, bother the neighbors with noise and sometimes go to war.
Now the best thing is nice automated systems like this one.
Slap it down, no worry no stress but a bit of a mess.
Just remember to have this thing loaded with a couple thousand axes (if you are a thane worth your salt you'd already have that) Bait it with some shiny shit and off we go.
Alternatively when dealing with a smart grobbi species, take this here device and slide it into their nest.
Within seconds the natural curiosity of the gob will have that place filled with axes.
Order now

I had an idea for a crew of dwarf pirates that pilot submarine forges. Too overboard or not enough?

anyone got some cool pictures of space dwarves?

what kind of space ships would space dwarves pilot? literal mountains? moons? just about any space rock

Space dwarves would obviously pilot giant mining ships adorned with dwarven imagery and runes, with enough firepower to classify them as a dreadnought. With long complicated hallways on the inside and several tiers which they would all remember by heart but which would confuse enemy boarding parties.

They would roam space looking for asteroids and planets to mine for the precious metals and minerals.

too lean

My recommendation? Elbow grease. Take your hardest dwarves and strongest armor, and go to town. Have a plan though. Get a good map and plot out a path that takes you through every room. Clear each area thoroughly (especially the nests!!) and barricade every cleared area before proceeding to minimize reinfection. Be sure to leave some dwarves behind to man the barricades in case the gobs sense their doom and try to break through. Keep some extra barricade material in case the gobs made a tunnel or broke through a wall or something. If you have the dorf-power, you can have multiple squads, each traveling their own path.

It's can take a while, but I think it pays off in terms of thoroughness. Your own people have much more incentive to hit every nest and avoid collateral damage. Since it's *their* home, they're much less likely to get cold feet when they see a screaming goblin-child. And it just feels better, to put an axe through their skulls. Of course, you might not always have the time or dwarf-power to pull this off...

Poisons and special weapons certainly can do the job, but they tend to be messy, and may leave collateral damage in the form of damaged furnishings, spoiled ale-kegs, and poisoned children's toys. If you decide to use a poison, be prepared to take down stragglers (some goblins may retreat to a tunnel somewhere), and scrub your home very thoroughly before moving your children back in.

Mercenaries can have a nasty habit of nicking your mountain-home's treasures as "loot", so I advise against using them unless absolutely necessary. If you *must* use mercenaries, pick an established group with a reputation for professionalism, not some sketchy "adventuring party" that you met in a bar last night. The price tag might be tempting, but the shoddy work and the amount of your belongings they steal will end up costing you far more in the long run. I advise sending your own with them (ideally outnumbering them), just to keep em honest.

Can't help myself, I like em.

Great work Urist. Now the caves are an airless death trap.

I now want to use goblin as canaries

Their ships would contain thousands of dwarves, and be called "Clan-ships". Each ship being an ancient construction maintained by its crew who are born there, live there and die there. Most without ever leaving the ship.

Many such clan-ships could exist, all different to the individual clan and with different customs. Once every couple hundred years they would all meet aboard the oldest vessel to consult with the High Captain, the de-facto king of the space dwarves (although the clans all have autonomy), and to trade items and help each others with repairs and upgrades. All before silently slipping back into dark space once all business, politics and family matters like marriage arrangements are concluded.

If, by some horrible and tragic event, a clan-ship should ever be lost, the remaining clans will honor them unanimously, as it means a huge blow to all dwarves as a whole.

any settings where dwarves are allied with elves or just dont hate each other in general because they are 2 long lived races? bonus pts if humans are victims