ITT: Times Players Became Gods

First, some backstory.
I have been in a gaming group for years. We were all friends that decided to take up tabletop gaming. Every year, we alternate the ForeverDM.
Recently, the DM bought Skyrim Remastered, his first Bethesda RPG. Like many people, he became completely convinced the Elder Scrolls is the best fantasy setting and set about making a homwbrew system for us to use.
It was fairly decent, with a magic system similar to that of the game but still connected to classic caster systems. However, there was one rule that the DM would come to regret. >ALL LORE IS CANON. Because TES is the best setting, all the lore must be good
Even though our DM had only played the new Skyrim and read the basic jists of the other main games, he insisted it would work out because he could look things up as we went along.
(Cont)

>inb4 CHIM

Pre type yo shit, fag

You just know that's how they fucked it up.

Muh chim incoming

You could say it's CHIMinent.

> The ending of this reply is KEK.

The game started the way Skyrim began, with the entire party, two what's their faces, and Ulfric Stormcloak on a cart awaiting their execution. The tutorial was a bit railroady but provided a good way to learn the differences between the homebrew and classic D&D.
We had some decent characters but one player stuck out. "John" constantly had characters dying. Be it bad rolls and rolling off a mountain or shooting himself in the eye. While the game was never supposted to be easy, John had some of the worst luck I had ever seen. As the session count grew longer and longer, John got more and more frustrated. It was last session, when 10 characters died in have that many hours, that John reached a state of rage previously known only by WHM. As John and I were the closest friends, I doubted that any one else noticed the malice in John's eyes.
The next day he texted me.
>I have made the perfect character

When someone gets that assblasted and makes that comment, you have to take that shit seriously OP. If he had placed a period at the end of his sentence I would have reprimanded you for it, but the lack of punctuation grants you a forgivable margin of error.

Today, in our latest session, I had no idea what Henderson level antics I would bear witness to. It all started when he introduces his character.
>Ervanos Vullandas
>Lawfull Good Paladin fluffed as Vigilant of Stendar with an intense hatred of Daedra
>Put all of his skills into Knowledge (Plains)
>Poured almost all of his starting gold into Will save boosting items
>Seriously. He had like a +52 bonus
The DM wtfs and expects Ervanos to die like any other character. Then John asks to role for knowledge on the Godhead
>Nat 20
The DM had no idea who that was and was in the process of looking it up when John says
>I'm in the Tower right now? Right?
The Dm reads faster and faster and his face grows more and more horrified, then reaches a point beyond horrified when he remembers that gigantic will save.

Oh shet, John is doing it

The absolute madman!

>Nat 20

aaaaand, I'm out. What was the point of even mentioning all the points he put into Knowledge if the story was just gonna be bullshit the whole time, OP?

fugg

For those who don't read the lore or haven't played Morrowind, the entire Elder Scrolls universe is actually a dream of a being called the Godhead. Everything from your character to the ground at his feet. But what if a character knows he is a dream? Usually the are just erased from space and time, forgotten. But sometimes, they become lucid.
When someone has a lucid dream, they have complete control of the dream. So someone who is lucid within the dream, has control of the dream. The thing is, to become lucid, you have to exert your will and say
>I am
even though you are actually are
>I am not
If you fail you zero sum and cease to exist. As the DM read this tidbit, he was hopeful that John would fail with a DC of 19. But after he (stupidly) announced the save, he remembered the bonus

Honestly, who the fuck cares if it's fake? Just see if it's entertaining.

IS TIME BOI

Even with a roll of 2, Ervanos easily exerts his will over his own reality and becomes one with all existence. The DM sputters a bit at how his carefully recreated world is now being reformed and flips out, throwing materials everywhere and driving off.
Even though he refuses to talk with us, the whole situation still was pretty hilarious.
>pic related

Seems like the guy just isn't very good at improv. That's the kind of situation where you'd just say, "congrats. You made a new god. Hand me your character sheet so I can add it to my NPC roster and go roll a new character."

What did you guys think of my first greentext? Even though I was having fun with the game, I never thought I would witness even 1 Henderson and I wanted to share the story with you all.

What a true and very believable story.

You failed. None of your text was green.

garbage.

Most of it wasn't green, so as a greentext it fails horribly.

I'm a long time lurker and I just wanted to share my experiences. Everyone has a first post and I will never learn without practice
I admit I chose my words poorly

It was bretty gud, the anticipation was strong. Kinda anticlimactic though.

The only good part about this thread is the guy that says that TES has the best lore.

>tfw had game group for years now with mid-level characters but scheduling has fucked any coinciding for the past five-ish months
>tfw we're gonna be level 10 forever and we'll never hit endgame levels of conflict climax

Well, you posted the prologue, now post the actual thing.

(to clarify, if that WAS the actual thing it was shit)

This was the entire story. The last couple posts were the last session
Care to give constructive criticism?

You should've included a twist. Turns out TES Lore is real! The player himself became a god in that moment, realizing all realities are dreams.

He runs outside, willing the universe to unravel beneath his feet. Then he gets hit by a truck.

Turns out he had a psychotic solipsism break. He's in the hospital now, recuperating. He plays Skyrim on his Nintando Switch over there, thanks to his uncle who works at Nintendo.

I KEK'ed. Thank you for your suggestion.

Anyone else care to give a storytime?

bump

>tfw 2/3rds of your 6 man 4e D&D group start doing their own "trial" 5e campaign on the side while the main campaign is still going
>tfw they meet 2 times a week for longer per meeting than the main campaign
>tfw the DM put off starting 5e for a year because of those "trial" campaigns

I think I'm just gonna say fuck it and start DMing.

>Forever DM cause dont actually like playing, but love worldbuilding.
>finally manage to get with a decent group around 5 years ago. we all work the same place and have no intentions of going anywhere. 4 players, 2 guys and 2 girls and me.
>have been working for years on building a custom world in 3.5. have literally thousands of pages of notes written up as well as all book 3.0 and 3.5 released.
>decide to introduce players to it
>legitimately love it.
>spend a few hours every night playing after work, put approximately 20hrs a week in for 5 years.
>two of the players got married (they were a couple going into the game) during this time, all the while they continue playing. Work out epic levels over the months.

Just a few months ago our characters broke level 100 and became gods.
>discovered machinations of the god of destruction attempting to subsume the god of death and the god of magic in one go.
>stood a pretty good chance of managing this.
>we break through the astral plane into the realm of the gods just in time to warn the other two, but manages to severely damage the other two gods. we barely manage to defeat him, but we have three dying gods on our hands.
>the fighter, who manages to actually bring him down, gets caught in his godfall and is consumed.
>with his dying act, the god of death brings him back and gives him his power in honor of his deeds.
>The god of magic splits her powers and gives half to the wizard and half to the cleric.
>the rogue takes the god of destruction's power into himself, but doesnt wish to fall to the same devices that the old god did.
>starts a new plot we are currently on to find the god of honor and have him bless the rogue to assist his transformation
>race against time, though as the power is starting to corrupt him.
>his alignment is starting to shift (player is acting out the slow fall to corruption very well.)