Suepunk

Veeky Forums I’m working on a campaign setting and I need your help fleshing it out.
I call it Suepunk. Around 20 years ago mary sues, a race of all female superhuman beings from another dimension, started appearing on Earth. While they’re very competent in almost every conceivable walk of life, and always eager to display their incredible skill and powers, the sues seem to be completely incapable of progressing the plot of their own life. Because of this they will latch on to what they call “protagonists” and serve under them, applying their powers to any obstacles in that person’s life instead of their own. A “protagonist” is usually one of the first people the sue encounters after spawning on Earth. Powerful or charismatic people are more likely to imprint on a sue, but sometimes it’s entirely random. Because of this, and because of the sheer power of their combat abilities, people all over the world have clambered to obtain as many of the creatures as they can. A kind of mary sue arms race. Crime bosses, corperate CEOs, even the world’s governments have scrambled to imprint on as many sues as they can, as even one can overpower a small army equipped with conventional weapons. In this new age, those who control the mary sues control the world.
The players are all members of a new hybrid race. Those with the mental independence of a human, but the power of a mary sue. They are the offspring of a human father and a mary sue mother, which you’re inevitably going to get when you throw a race of beautiful subservient female humanoids into the world. The services of Half-sues are even more sought after than those of mary sues, because Half-sues are the only thing that can match the power of a mary sue, but unlike full sues, they can be bought.

So anything you'd add? Ideas for over-arching plots? Problems I might run into? Suggestions for a good system to run it in?
I'll post a few examples of some of the sues in the world.

Other urls found in this thread:

suptg.thisisnotatrueending.com/archive/13722924/
marysuefacepalm.tumblr.com/
twitter.com/AnonBabble

You may have a vague interest in this.

suptg.thisisnotatrueending.com/archive/13722924/

Many sues have equipment that they spawned with them. The level of technology they have access too seem to vary wildly, and some are even cybernetic, however the deference between them seems to be completely arbitrary

Age also seems to be entirely cosmetic.

I want one.

For how many goats may on be obtained?

Some look entirely human, only recognizable by their eyes.

While some are only vaguely humanoid.

If you are bartering with goats, just one could buy you your whole country.

Most have some kind of weapon.

While some are completely unarmed. These are actually often the most dangerous.

You underestimate the quality of my goats, Sadiq. Toppest of the notches.

You have my interest in your goats. How is the quality of these goats

I really like the idea, but halfsues seem to be needlessly OP, in my mind they shouldn't really match sues in power. That would ease up mastering and make more narrative balance - you can't really get all what you want.

Also, how many sues are there? And how is "completely incapable of progressing the plot of their own life" is perceived in-universe? In their servitude, do they make a deal with their protagonist, do they pursue their own goals? Are they free to switch sides?

user. They're literally half human half extra-dimensional being. They're Mary Sues in their own right.

I too feel like you should ditch half-sues, or limit them/make them social pariahs because of a crippling flaw - they aren't perfect. A marysue is perfect and everyone likes her, if a half sue is even more perfecter, what does that make them? They would just be a Mary Sue! It's a vicious circle user

Maybe that's just the thing. That's the great flaw/crisis of the half sue. A marysue by definition is perfect. A half sue is more perfect than perfect because they can also be a self actualizing protagonist, unlike a sue which is basically a pawn from Dragons Dogma.

Half Sue's themselves are vulgarities in reality, their existence is a glitch in the universe, their presence causes reality to unravel based more and more on how protagonist like they are (how much exp/progression points they have)

So in order to prevent some sort of horrific space time flux they have to balance being protagonists and spend exp by being Mary Sue's, which "weakens" them by making them less human but less abhorrent to the universe

We basically just.made a white wolf splat here, anons . Marysue: The Sparkling

Doesn't it make more sense to assume that being "half-extradimensional being" gives you less power than being full-blown extradimensional being? Literally perfect protagonists will be impossible to master or write about, since you can't really motivate them to follow the plot.

user, we're talking about the concept of special snowflake characters.

The literal embodiments of stereotypes. Of course half-blooded ones would be superior.

But being half-angel-half-dragon-half-elf-half-demigod-half-vampires (at the same time!) is what Mary Sues are all about.

I agree that this is a stereotype, but this, again, ruins the whole tradeoff of sues to me. You may aswell make sues have no "plot limit" and then make players play sues.

This is where this gets weird, but the players you described ARE sues. It's just that they aren't.

Mastering ironical sues is a good deconstruction attempt, mastering unironical sues will lead to the anticipated result of unironical garbage.

Half-humans are very frequently the most powerful things in a setting. But yes, Half sues aren't as strong as normal sues, at least not at first. That's why they work in parties.
>how many sues are there?
From dozens to hundreds, with more showing up at random.
>How is "completely incapable of progressing the plot of their own life" is perceived in-universe
If left alone, they will either simply sit and do nothing of substance, usually just singing like a muse or posing beautifully in the perfect light, or they'll just wander around until they find a protagonist. But as soon as they're imprinted they're completely invested in whatever there protagonist is doing.
>In their servitude, do they make a deal with their protagonist, do they pursue their own goals?
They have no goals of their own. The imprinting process isn't something the sues explain, or even recognize. People just noticed the pattern of these manic-pixie girls approaching people and suddenly making their lives all about them.
>Are they free to switch sides?
No, unlike half-sues. imprinting bonds them to a protagonist until that protagonist dies, Though they'll defend them with their lives.

How about those half sues be imperfect and require training to unlock their powers.
However considering the situation you described the nations and like would attempt to indoctrinate thr children

please disregard the first point

Precisely, mary sues are born with a set limit, but half-sues can train and develop their powers. Level up if you will.
Some agencies are looking into the military value of half-sues, but with sues only appearing 20 years ago this is the first generation of half-sues, and they're just learning to use their powers. No one knows how strong they can get yet.
There is no upper limit. They are the real mary sues. Shocking twist.

Wouldn't half sues be the real mary sues then, since they have the best of both world without any penalties?

Instead of trying to be super ironic you could just change the name of the beings to "jinn" or similar and you'd have the start of half way decent setting

What if the Mary Sue's ARE the half breeds, and the celestial beings are their own thing - deus machina or whatever. Mary Sue's are the half-breed offspring of humans and these celestial autists, named for the first known one, Maria Sue

>You may aswell make sues have no "plot limit" and then make players play sues.
The mary sues are not any of the major players in the world of the game, they're barely even NPCs, they're just a means to an end. Who the players have to deal with is the people controlling the sues, they're the ones shaking things up in the world.
But then it's trying to take itself seriously, and leads to the glaring question of "Why do all the Jinn look/act like generic mary sues?"

I see. What I had in mind from OP-post is more twisted version though, doubt you would implement it, but there it is: a mary sue is superpowered and humanlike, but has some sort of "plot bounds", where it can't succeed in making any meaningful change in the world on its own. "The master doesn't like the sue" and use of powers leads to all sorts of chaotic events rather than to achieving its goal. However, when sue works together with a common human, and they pursue a shared goal, the plot becomes structured and their actions get meaningful. (And they somehow know that from the start) Sues have to unwillingly serve ordinary humans, they make all sorts of deals, sometimes making productive relationships and sometimes betraying their masters if they feel it worth it.

BBEG idea
>Celestial being whose imprint died in a completely mundane way she couldn't protect him from
>She's now moving heaven and earth and disrupting the fabric of existence to resurrect him
>He was just some guy named Joe who said hi to her on the subway once

Could be interesting, but having not just one, but dozens of all-according-to-kaikeku precognetics causing everything to play out exactly as they planed from the start, is hard enough in a singular narrative form, it's going to be virtually impossible to do that in an interactive world with multiple players running around effecting outcomes.

But they arent, because they absolutely rely of ordinary human's free will and power of choice (which is maybe a bit exaggerated in setting, more definite stances, less seductiveness) withaut which a sue is as good as nothing.

Would her nipples not be exposed by this dress?

How do Mary Sues walk and fight in high heels?

>How do Mary Sues walk and fight in high heels?
"Like a weightless cloud, sailing through the air"
"Like a bolt of lightning moving too fast to be seen"
"Like a ballerina with grace the world had never seen"
Take your pick.

>Half-sues

You lost me there. You introduced Mary Sues as a joke concept with interesting setting potential, and then made actual unironic Mary Sues with the intention of people playing them sincerely.

Just make the players people who have had a Mary Sue imprint upon them. The villains they fight also have Mary Sues, and the players command their Mary Sues against their opponents in battle.

So, Sekirei?

Agreed. I think it's way more interesting to play as a person with a mary sue than to play an actual mary sue among mary sues.

But I'm already running a JoJo game.

Yes. Or Dears, or Ah my goddess, or A.I. Love You, or Tenchi Muyo. Except in a world will these women are numerous and governments, the mafia, and private military have taken notice.

Any pictures in a similar vein to what I've been posting would help also.

This idea has potential. Why not make all Mary-Sues part human? Your "twist" isn't worth it IMHO.

Also: marysuefacepalm.tumblr.com/

Goddammit Zero, put on some pants.