What are monks even trying to do?

What are monks even trying to do?

Punch and kick people.

Reach heaven through violence.

Not being total chumps when arms are either extremely rare or carrying them in public is severely restricted.

Meaning a situation that never happens in D&D unless your GM is trying to BS you into something. Usually fighters should just have some levels in wrestling and (if you're playing Caster Dominance) upgrade that into sick show wrestling move that break time, space and common sense and force casters into playing along with whatever BS wrestling story the fighter's player comes up with on the spot.

Very accurate summary.

Wuxia may be the genre that really inspired all this monk stuff. So toss that a google. Xianxia is a more recent splinter genre where there's a major fantasy element.

Although both are Chinese writing genres and are not inspired by genres we are used to. So when I say fantasy I don't mean DnD style at all.

Depends on the system.

In D&D 3.5, survive.

In pretty much any other game that has the archetype, what said.

>In D&D 3.5, survive.
Pahahahahaha, monks are shit in 3.5, they don't survive shit, they don't have the HPs, their AC is laughable, and because they're mad as fuck not even their saves are going to save them. Even by the time they get SR is literally useless

user

That's the joke.

Was looking at the possibility of putting together a casual monk tribal Magic deck, when I noticed that there are no black monks! Blue, yes. Green, yes. Red, yes. White, definitely yes. Black, no?

>black
>whatever it takes to win
>monks
>following the path to enlightenment, eschewing unnecessary violence
Gee, I wonder why

What about monks that meditate upon impermanence, death, dissolution? There are Buddhist temples deep in Cambodia that lay out rotting human corpses for people to look at.
What about monks that mummify themselves?
What about those extremist monks in SE Asia that kill Muslims?

Achieve their desires, which is to realize their wants, which is no trubbah.

In my nonexistent ideal setting, monks would be the ultimate self-sufficient survivalists. They could spend their monk resource points to survive poisons, direct damage, elemental effects, or forcing their way through obsticles.

In terms of combat, monks would never be the primary damage dealer, but would instead be able to bounce around the room and trip/disarm/daze a half-dozen mooks in one round.

If you think about it, the Defenders are basically the archetypal D&D party

White/blue, depends on why, and red, respectively.

The first type of monks you described are Green. The second White/Red.

End all conflict, by the will of heaven.

It's playing as a Chinese guy, the character class.

Beat people up while being all mystic and stuff.

Punch spells back at wizards.
LaughingTao.jpg

Well CHIM'd my gentlesir