Caster, Rogue, or Fighter

Caster, Rogue, or Fighter

Which one do you like to play the most?

No multiclassing, no workarounds, no bullshit.

Other urls found in this thread:

youtube.com/watch?v=RU4kjjkiZk8
twitter.com/SFWRedditGifs

Fighter. There's just something primally satisfying about wrecking shit with an axe.

>Like to play
I like Fighting Fantasy and its ilk, so probably Fighter. As a rule, I don't like 'magic does anything effortlessly'. It's one of those things that I think you shouldn't need at all except for those rare situations where you need it badly.
I mean, it could just be me, but I think any of the three classes listed above should be able to 'solve' a dungeon with about the same rate of success. That's why I like the idea of 'Spells as Potions': You have some sort of guaranteed benefit that may influence your decisions, but it's not absolutely essential to your success and anyone can use them.

Fighter, nigga. I want to smack a bitch with my sword and give no fucks.

I prefer casters because I'm attracted to the notion of using wits and intelligence to wield the forces of nature. Also, I'm lazy and I like the idea of having skeletons do everything for me.

Like casters when the magic is more interesting than just "elemental laser lightshows".

Otherwise, Fighters are solid and cool. It's a close race.

Rogues and rouges can leave.

I like all of them. Not that I'm talking about multiclassing, but each has their merits.

Casters are fun when they're not bullshit OP, because I love having magical utility in reserve, especially when I can use it as support.

Rogues are fun as fuck, because working around problems or through subtlety or people (with reasoning, not sharp things) is sometimes more fun than bashing in heads.

Fighters are also fun, and to answer OP they are the class I tend to play the most. Being able to take punishment and also dish it out is great, as is being in the thick of things and in a position to help people rather than stuck in the sidelines.

Depends on my mood, but more often than not fighter. Focused on defense. I find it really satisfying to take the strongest hit an enemy can take, and look at his reaction to me just coming at him read to yank his head off.

If I'm feeling more devious I'll go in for whatever the local summoner equivalent is instead. Equally good lulz sitting back with a martini as a horde of demons/zombies/robots mob some asshole who challenged me.

Rogue Fighter
Best for fuck your rules.

Rogue, hands-down, every time.

Sword and Board fighter all day, every day. Maybe magic knight bullshit if multiclassing is allowed.

Fucking hell those proportions.
I know it's intentional but FUCKING HELL, those proportions.

About 50/50 caster/fighter but usually with a rougeish bent. Most of my casters tend to be variations that are pretty much magic turrets and most of my fighters are either super mobile or have significant range.

Caster is by far my favorite when the mechanics of magic aren't hilariously broken
But I usually go for a multi-class or gish that leans heavily towards caster

100% this. I just want to be a smug nerd watching the cleric struggle under his full plate and pack while my skelly-bros cart all my shit around for me.

Healer! Or a really long range caster

People got so hilariously triggered when the game was released. It was an amazing time to be alive.

Rogue, because I enjoy being the guy everyone needs to bring, but nobody wants to bring

This is more a /v/ post than anything, but I enjoyed the video game Torchlight because, among many things, character selection was restricted to the three cardinal classes. I don't know why, but I found the simplicity charming.

since Veeky Forums-wise I can count my campaigns on one hand lets see
- fighter/magic
-ranger/fighter
-rogue/magic
-magic
-rogue/magic

looks like I prefer magic users, although notably I always go for the CHA based guys because I like to talk; only recently did I start making funny characters that survive almost solely upon this

problem is i overthink magic a lot, so i need to be more comfortable with just point and shoot and a dash of buffing or debuffing

still really want to play a cleric for some reason
something about never having someone for real healing anymore

Rogue. I like the versatility and the option to hold your own in a fight. I rarely play outright thieves though.

When I first started playing D&D, it took me a while to figure out my character was expected to be able to burgle and shit.

Rogue just because I enjoy solving things in a different way to beat it down with an axe, or beat it down with a fireball.

Caster is fun given the flexibility of spells, and such, but I hate the fragility of the class in earlier stages, and the no effort in later ones.

So little Elf doujins... it's not fair.

Honestly, it's only the Amazon that really weirds me out. Women like the Sorceress don't seem that outlandish in comparison.

Her tiny head combined with the THUNDER THIGHS is what makes her kind of weird-looking in the art. Her sprites in the game weren't that exaggerated, IIRC. But then, I also remember one of her attacks being the FLYING POWER TWERK.

Elf is not for lewds!

Amazon looks weird because it's the skeletal structure that's out of proportion rather than the flesh.

Caster, every time. I love twiddling my thumbs and opening fucking tears in the fabric of reality.

Fighter. Easy to learn in new systems and most idiot proof.

Caster

Magic is just fun to me, Summoning/Conjuration is my favorite without a doubt but I don't care as long as I'm casting spells, whether I'm healing, summoning, exploding, illusioning, just fuck yeah magic

Fighters, particularly fighters who seem undisciplined but would take the brunt of a minotaur's charge to protect their allies.

Fighter.

What if the Fighter IS a minotaur?

Minotaur wrestling, at the end of which, knowing my usual DM, my fighter and my opponent decide to become musclebros. And then there are two beefy meatshields.

Without a shadow of a doubt Rogue.

I much prefer Rogue/Fighters and Swashbucklers but out of the core three Rogue's the best.

Rogue. I enjoy interesting solutions, and being able to talk or sneak my way through a problem is a fun way to keep my character distinct.

then I'm playing bard or cleric

The most stereotypical, old wise sage Gandalf Merlin rip off Wizard

I play him as my first with a new group every time. He's even a recurring character in the background when I DM. Not a DMPC, just a legendary hero that's passed into myth (with the rest of the OGs). A lot of the newer players don't even realise it either sincere it is usually just hidden references

As for why it's usually because nobody else wants to play dedicated casters and because I really love the libertarian vibe I get from Wizards. In pulp stuff like the Howard Conan stories you get this vibe that Wizards really are just these guys who do whatever they want on their own terms be it helping to advise the king or stick out on their own you always get the vibe that no other character class is more fiercely independent than the wizard. Even the Barbarian is usually loyal to a tribe of some sort. Wizards are just great really. I also like the idea of a personal laboratory, exploring dimensions, and being that one weird hermit on the edge of town whose tower weird noises sometimes drift from

user... most vidya distill the classes into three broad archetypes: magic user, warrior and ranger/rogue/dexterity based character

I really like hybrid fighter/caster, but since you said no hybridization, I guess thief.

Sure, but you don't see many modern video games that only use the cardinal three.

Warrior or Mage.
It's more that I abhor dexfags.

In reality, I play just about anything the party feels it needs. My penultimate favorite is fighter, but not by much. It's mainly because back in ye olden days of third edition, fighter was my first and go-to class for quite a while.

Party face/Diplomancer

He can't even curl lmao2anvil!

That DYEL faggot!

Hell, I usually play pacifists anyway, where's that option? nobody ever does this because 'muh power fantasy' but it really is the one thing you can do in tabletop that you can't in vidya. sure, you can interact with NPCs but it's not in-depth, there's no roleplaying opportunities.

I find myself drawn to the cleric role, which I guess puts me in the caster camp.

Caster every time. Specifically minionmancer casters, and even more specifically mind control/capture based Pokemon minionmancer casters.

Pulling demons or skeletons out of thin air or the ground is nice, but the thing I really like is going about gathering my party of individual monsters and people personally, maybe fighting them a bit before getting them to switch sides. There's just something about making enemies fight each other that I really enjoy, so I find myself drawn to illusionists as well.

A shame that so few games have that archetype, but I understand it's too specific.

Do these niggas count as Fighters? Then sure

Caster.

But really, claymore wielding magic barbarian. He uses telekinetic powers to fight with a massive sword with ease. It's no problem to one hand it if he needs the other hand for doing something like projecting a massive force shield or something. His with so much force that he usually cleaves straight through any direct opposition, redirection is the only way out. He can also sorta fly around n stuff.

Tbh he's a lot like a Jedi.

that guy detected

"my character can fly and fight and cast AND he's hot!"

>Which one do you like to play the most?
Depends on the ruleset, but in general caster by far. It's not even about power, I just want to play characters with high mental stats and knowledge skills. Plus magic is cool, I don't even need for it to be blasty or even combat related. Give me rituals and I'll take rituals.

>No multiclassing
Fuck you tho, gishes are awesome. My favourite class is bard, and I don't even care for the musical angle all that much. Versatility is the name of the game for me.

Warrior.

Someone has to take the front. Someone has to hold the line. Someone has to be the devil they all fear- drenched in the blood of their loved one.

Glory to the first man to die.

Rogues or a utility caster, I have no idea how people get into playing just fighters.

I play monks the most, unarmed combatants just appeal to me

Monks I suppose fit closest with rogue out of the fighter/rogue/mage trio, so I guess I'd go for rogue

youtube.com/watch?v=RU4kjjkiZk8

Marry, Kill, Fuck

Caster

Marry Rogue
Kill Jester
Fuck Caster

I would be caster so I can use fist.

But Jester is our friend!

I like ranger the most but fighter is a close second

Fighty McHitthings and in particular a barbarian or savage type. It's just so much fun to me when a simple savage of courage and character can cleave through beasts, armies, wizards and gods alike.

>pic related

I know, demotivational, trash, blah. I just love the quote. Always have.

Rogue. I like Dex-based characters, utility and stealth the most.

I consider myself an htam THICC fiend who says "thighs" when it comes to boobs vs butts, but Amazon weirds me out. Her proportions and the shape of her legs just do not look natural. Hell, I don't even think the muscles on her thighs are attractive or accurate, they look so bulgy and clumpy, like she has a health disorder.

Art style doesn't do much for me, either.

Casters

Because they're more fun at higher levels.

Is a snake oil type more of a caster or a rogue?

If you're primarily using slight-of-hand and misdirection, I'd say that falls more into the rogue camp.

Caster. Definitely Caster.
I love the robes and dresses, and the power.

Rogue. I get to use my wits and charm to take whatever I want, including those wonderful little magical trinkets. Sure, I'll probably never get my hands on a scroll of Wish or anything TOO powerful, but with a clever mind, a sharp tongue, a fleet foot, and a fleeter and sharper sword, there's not much you can't do.

It's the best parts of every other class if applied correctly.

Warrior, knight if it's a class

Rogues are generally my go to, stealth and skills are nice.

I didn't choose the Rogue life. The Rogue life chose me.

>no bullshit.
Class systems are bullshit.

I like the idea of a fighter the best, but playing a wizard the best...

It kinda depends on the system but 90% of the time I find fighters less fun to play mechanically even if I like the idea of beating the shit out of people, magic is just more interesting game mechanic wise. I don't even mind if it's significantly weaker than a fighter either, it just feels like it has more options.

Even without "classes" you're still going to gravitate to a given playstyle unless you want to suffer from horrible MAD

I like being CHA based.

Caster. When I need to kill people I blow the bastards up from a distance like a civilized person.

I like to play figther but usually im the best playing mages, so in games in wich magic is pivotal to the campaign i end up taking full control/support wizards and my party loves it cos im not an ego drunk with powet madman, but more of the erudite want to get along but get drunk too soon young wizard

i'm a big fan of wearing full suits of heavy armor, along with a traditional sword and board
full plate gets me full mast in seconds

I like glass canons and utility support characters. That is usually what the caster is for.

Fighter. Probably my favorite character concept is an unremarkable hedge knight, trying to make his name known. I've run similar things several times, without even necessarily realizing it was pretty much the same character.

Depends on whether or not thieves and mages get cool stuff. If mage mostly just means blaster caster, and thieves don't get any fun skillmonkey stuff, I'll go with fighter. Otherwise, I go with either mage or thief depending on which gets more cool stuff.

I think I like mage best.

>Caster
I used to like playing them, but they've been ruined for me by minmaxers, people who constantly try to abuse spell descriptions and stretch what a spell can do, and people who can't be fucked to memorize (or at least make a cheat sheet for) their most used spells and what they do. Why does it seem like casters attract the absolute worst kind of players?
>Rogue
I think this is the one I enjoy the most, but so few GMs allow rogues to really shine. For a rogue to be fun, there have to be alternative options: a way to sneak past guards to open a bypass for the party, alarm systems that can be disabled, alternate routes that only a master of acrobatics can use, battlefields that allow for flanking and cover. Further, making a character (specifically a rogue) have to roll to hit/for damage when murdering someone in their sleep is just straight up retarded. If I can successfully sneak to the duke's bedside with a dagger drawn, there is literally no reason to be unable to cut his neck open. Stealth is especially hard in D&D: it's rare to be able to take out an unsuspecting guard in one attack, which is sort of a staple of stealth. Getting one sneak attack/surprise round and then going into the regular stand and slap is not fun for a rogue.
>Fighter
This is what I end up playing the most. I like the simplicity of martial combat in most systems, and it's exceedingly hard for a GM to fuck up martial combat specifically. It's hard to misinterpret a rule or make a bad spot-call on making a standard weapon attack or full defence. Granted, a shit GM makes martial combat boring as hell, but at least you're doign what you're designed to do.

Fighter. They get such wonderful toys...

Give me weapons a plenty, preferably weird ones, and I can be satisfied.

Casters can be fun, but I've never had any interest in the standard blasty elemental mage stuff. Utility magic's where it's at.

Rogues... I just don't have the patience for. Not my playstyle.

>Why does it seem like casters attract the absolute worst kind of players?

Easy power. Its like how paladins are often played by self appointed leaders.

Rogue.
Sneaky as fuck
Find traps and shit.
Decent at melee
Great at range
Use magic device (or just plain casting)
Way better armor and health than a wizard.

Honestly I'm more towards Rogues because I enjoy the play style the most. However I do also enjoy playing a Wizard who specializes in the Void School of magic.

Casters, because I like being overpowered as fuck after about level 5.

caster for lyfe.

Depending on the system and power level, it's either 1)jolly cooperation via buffs and crafting shit to help the party, which I greatly enjoy; or 2)being a god of the battlefield, which I also enjoy.

I love to beatstick things as fighter but god damn if there isn't some PRIMAL NEED for UNWORLDLY POWER that make me drift towards casters more often then note. I just want to become a conduit for destructive and horribly powerful energies. No, mage hand or zone of truth or any of that toolbox bullshit. I want to crack open stars, I want to knock on the sky and I NEED to rend the earth asunder with my passing.

But yeah. If I can't do that then I'll play a fighter.

>But yeah. If I can't do that then I'll play a fighter.
DOTS

Exalted: would you prefer to rip that mountain apart by chanting incantations for a day or by punching the shit out of it?

>Chanting incantations
>Not just SCREAMING TO THE HEAVENS AND HAVING THE WORLD CRACK

Rage magic is best magic.

All of them, so more than anything it comes down to how the system we're playing with handles them. No point in bothering with Fighters when they're stuck autoattacking instead of doing anything interesting, for example.

Fighters

Usually unarmed