BOARD GAMES GENERAL

/bgg/ - Board Games General - Minis Edition

Previous thread:
Resources (reviewers, Veeky Forums groups, good online vendors, game accessories)
pastebin.com/NA2W929q

What's your favorite game that uses an (almost) unreasonable amount of minis?

What have you played recently?

What's your opinion on Kickstarter regarding our hobby?

What's your favorite game of 2016?

What games are at the top of your withlist?

Other urls found in this thread:

en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Peace_be_upon_him
kickstarter.com/projects/806316071/mythic-battles-pantheon
twitter.com/AnonBabble

fisrts post, best post

Man I'm so torn on this. I never had a mini game and there are two on Kickstarter right now and I'm not sure which one to get and what sucks most is that The Edge campaign will be over in a few hours.

Help me guys! Which one? The Edge: Dawnfall or Mythic Battles: Pantheon?

Which one has better mini combat? I totally depend on your guys' recommendation. I never owned or even played a mini fighting game and both these look really awesome both in terms of visuals and gameplay. Which one should I go for? I really can't decide alone.

Late pledge for The Gods War. Stephensen is the only one making games chock fulla minis for love rather than using them to gloss over weak gameplay.

lol Petersen sorry

That one didn't really speak to me.

Also, why do you say that other mini games have weak gameplay?

Because they stray from the venerable CitOW PBUI

I wouldn't go for The Edge because of the terrible combat mechanics.
I thought about backing it because it looked really good but after tons of research I came to the conclusion that the gameplay itself is rather lacking. Everything is pretty dull and superficial sadly.

+1 for this

Did anyone else buy into Deep Madness?

Ended up getting the The Edge, Warchest. I am not a huge fan of the setting of Mythic Battles: Pantheon and honestly despite what some anons say i think the combat is pretty interesting for the Edge.

>i think the combat is pretty interesting for the Edge.

Can you explain why? I just watched a demo game on Youtube and combat has pretty much zero decision making. You roll a d6 and add values together. I don't see the appeal.

I was so close to backing it but ended up deciding against it.

>pretty much zero decision making
Clearly you didn't read up the rules and watched the entire video. You have to decide when to use your special abilities at the right time and manage your resources correctly in combat. Let alone there is a whole meta game with the out of combat map + scenarios with different paths to spice up the campaign.

user just because you don't have friends to play the game with doesn't mean other anons dont.

More of boxed game question...
I was thinking about getting pict related - rise of the runelords- to play solo, but is it even a compelling game? I watch some YouTube, but as usual without knowing too much about the system the video was confusing.

Do people play solo to level up characters so they can play with others? There's also 500 cards damn, does it get overwhelming?

I'm looking for fun, quick (30mins - 1hr) games which give me a sense of adventure and progression.

Is this right for me?

Other games I've played that are card based are Space hulk death angel, and I'm about to start the warhammer adventure card game as well.

/pfg/ did not notice me.

>recent games
I played Kemet, Dragon Rage and Zombies!! over the weekend. five-player session of Kemet was a blast, retrieved Dragon Rage in the mail last week and was pleasantly surprised with how easy it was to pick up the rules for an early 80s hex-and-counter wargame, I totally fucked up as the invaders with the first scenario where you play as two dragons and landed in the city way too early, Zombies!! was a friend's copy and it's not something I would ever own because >zombie theme

>kickstarter
KS exclusives can fuck off, I've only backed one KS at this point and that's Dungeon Degenerates. will do a late pledge for Glorantha: The Gods War and I'm waiting for the Kingdom Thicc reprint KS

>current year
I'm extremely hesitant with cult of the new, the only game that came out this year that I have bought so far was Ferox, and that game is stupidly fun mixed with an incredibly lulzy theme. I played Codenames Pictures and also enjoyed that, will pick up a copy for myself soon

>wishlist
Zimby Mojo, Cave Evil: Warcults, Space Empires: 4X

I really thought about this but I was more into the Co-opness DM offered. I haven't really looked at any gameplay vids because all the ones i found were terrible quality. Ace models though.

I sadly missed the campaign for this and probably will pick it up at a local store since I know they tend to pledge for the retail versions of these type of games. I love sci-fi settings

Yerp. Really love that the Isaac mini made it in.

Between madness, the edge, dark souls, and the upcoming KDM Kickstarter, decided to drop the edge. At the end of the day its just at a miniature wargame, already got a ton of those i don't play

>KDM
? explain user. I love buying miniature boardgames..

The combat cards and superficial resource management are just window dressing.

>user just because you don't have friends to play the game with doesn't mean other anons dont.
Not sure what you mean by that. I don't have friends because I don't like The Edge?

user some people like war games, some people don't. Just deal with it already.

Kingdom Death Monster

Basically a game about surviving as a community on a nightmare world.

Fuck all expensive. Miniatures IMHO are overrated a bit. Some of the designs look pulled from some dudes wank dreams.

The system is fairly neat, and the designs are neat when they aren't dick monsters

The Edge isn't a war game.

>What's your favorite game that uses an (almost) unreasonable amount of minis?
Mechs Vs Minions. Just started playing it, really fun.
>What have you played recently?
Mechs vs Minions and Onitama. Mansions of Madness finally resumes on Monday for my group after a 3 week hiatus.
>What's your opinion on Kickstarter regarding our hobby?
It produces 1 decent game for every 10 bad ones, but honestly that's average for the whole industry. We've gotten good games from it and that's all that matters. Kickstarter exclusives suck though. Dark Souls was the most successful boardgame Kickstarter and it didn't need a single exclusive. I don't feel like it's an incentive that really helps all that much.
>What's your favorite game of 2016?
Mansions of Madness for me. I've gotten so many great stories out of it and we've only done 2 stories. Innsmouth especially, splitting up into 2 groups on the streets leading to 2 of us barracaded in a church that ended up on fire while 2 others try to solve the mystery and one of us is in a mad fight for his life against 3 monsters.
>What games are at the top of your withlist?
Fury of Dracula and Millennium Blades.

should have called it Shill's edition OP.

The Duke, Dead of Winter: The Long Night

Opens the door for many games that would other wise never see a release. KS exclusives are annoying but in the end KS is still a good thing imo.

Haven't played many games that were released this year but I had the most fun with Secret Hitler.

>What games are at the top of your wishlist?
In no particular order:
Dominant Species
Mare Nostrum: Empires
Mythic Battles: Pantheon
Santorini
The Voyages of Marco Polo
Quantum

Why does this game totally remind me of heroscape. Something about the combat and the hexes.

Anyone feel the same? There's just something about these crazy constructions people make.

>Heroscape

Reprint when?

Already there

Got a chuckle out of me mate.

Reprints available on eBay. But really the base set can be had for pretty cheap, once you get to the castle, the d&d and especially the jungle set and the bridge for some reason get wayyyyyyy over priced.

I use the tiles as the base for my gaming table and made little "ponds" on each side as dice trays or mini graveyards, if you flip the hexes over you can use them as shallow trays to hold dice and tokens in their own 3 hex or 2 hex piece.

I also set the spacing so I can fit a 3x3 zombicide game on it.

These pieces can really be useful. I also proxy the minis...

>The Edge
>Wargame
Lolwut

It's a series of miniatures not meant to be played with. Notice how the miniatures are the styling point, not the rules.

If you want a skirmish game, play Infinity.

>All this hate on The Edge by a few anons

I watched miniwargamings demo video and they genuinely looked like they were having fun. I wish the combat had a little more to it but it still looks fun if you play with multiple people.

Lets be honest the mini's are worth it alone

Hikaru's defining characteristics are that he is fast and mobile, not that he never retreats. Even says something similar in his character sleeve.

But that particular style should have gotten updated in the transition from War to War Remastered (as well as Demitras'). It's not that my first thought is to replace it. Rather, over several matches, I've never seen Hikaru player use it and come out ahead.

You people make me want to back it again, but I just realized because I cancelled my pledge, I lost the day 1 backing mini. Shit.

If you could have a super deluxe version of any game, production values high on everything, what game and what would it feature?

I say back it user. I honestly think it will turn out well and be more fun then expected. It would be cool if we had a demo where the play out more of the campaign to get a better feel for the legacy content.

Don't regret not backing because of a slower shipping time. Back it if you think you want to pay the money for it.

It doesn't look appealing to me so I'm not backing it.

What the following user said is true. Make sure you want this, some people are going to like it, some won't. Don't let the opinion of others sway you including mine.

Hah, nah it's fine. Just got around to watching the gameplay, seems simple enough. It's just like I said previously, it's another wargame on top of a pile, albeit with pretty minis. My local meta has a hard on for euro style games, and so I imagine this game would gather dust just like several other games in my collection.

Also, are kind of daft for not thinking it's a wargame.

>Units with different stats
>Move around a designated area
>Attacking each other via rolls and special abilities
>Terrain is important

I don't know what else the game could possibly be aside from a wargame. Then again I imagine they don't think summoner wars is a wargame either because it uses cards instead of miniatures.

Haven't played it myself, but /bgg/ likes to hate on it for some reason. I think it looks like a light, fun solo game. A friend has it but he's never brought it to the table, so I haven't had the urge to buy it, I guess I could always trade it to some RPGer in my LGS if it didn't satisfy me.

>not into dick monsters
what are you, gay?

word...

>played recently
>favorite game with unreasonable # of minis
>favorite game of 2016
Mansions of Madness 2E! Replayed a mission and while I barely discovered anything new myself, it was still a very good experience (helped that it was new for everyone else at the table). Came so fucking close to getting the flawless victory ending I wanna cry
>KS
Too many trash "publishers" hocking shit games. Don't care about established publishers using it as a preorder service though some of them need to fucking get it together
>Wishlist
No wishlist, I'm full

>Battlecon
>Kit customization
We have this to some extent with Armory but probably not what you want from it. I don't think their audience wants to buy more than 1 set per year anyway. Their last KS underperformed as it is.

I think it'd be cool if BattleCON had something similar to Star Realms' distribution model because then some of my friends might actually buy in and become more invested in the game. But they'd have to nail down better balance because it sucks if we both buy fighters and mine always has the advantage
Get a game that's already available ffs. There's hundreds of them and you can read reviews, watch it played, and buy it retail today
Arkham Horror LCG is reviewing well as a solo game if you're into that theme
>that jungle
>that moat and those bridges
unf
Suburbia and pic related

>Taliscuck the dude with the literal WORST taste in games doesn't like KD.
>Can't tell what decent miniatures are.
>Says wank seriously.
Fag.

>Star Realms' distribution model
I'm afraid I'm not too familiar with Star Realms' model (I just play on the app). How does that go?

>audience
Perhaps I'm biased but my group is exclusively former and/or current Magic and Netrunner players. They (like me) would jump at the opportunity to construct kits. We may not reflect L99's target market, but I doubt a game as competitive as BattleCON would go amiss with it.

Mansions of Madness has some variety but it's hard to tell right off the bat and very easy to get the exact same scenario minus random events and monster spawns.

The Dark Souls KS has an exclusive metal coin
/pedantry

Dune 1979

Actually don't really have any massive miniature count games. Heroes of Normandie is amassing an incredible number of units, but they're still chits. Tannhauser maybe?
FINALLY got Cry Havoc played this weekend.
Definetly don't think I like it quite as much as Kemet off the line, but I'm not convinced it's the overhyped trash some people are saying yet. Maybe after more plays I'll be less enthused, but after one play I still think it's reasonably good. Played the pilgrims so I spent more time engine building than kicking heads in, which makes me frown slightly.
Overall I'm sure it's been good, but my knee-jerk reaction to virtually every $100+ project with hundreds of minis and some generic dungeoncrawler mechanics is to throw up in my mouth a little, but I'm sure some of them are good. Just can't be assed to sift through the chaff.
I really haven't gotten enough plays in of any new stuff to be certain, but I think Mare Nostrum is going to have the most staying power.
I'd like to pick up the new DOOM so I have something Descent-derivative to keep me from buying any others, and New Angeles might turn out pretty good. But they're both Asmodee so who knows when I'll talk myself into getting them. Other than that just waiting on kickstarters.

It does some cool stuff, but I found that there just weren't that many interesting decisions to make. BUT TRY OUT THE FREE APP, it works well and will tell you everything you need to know about whether it's worth playing further.

>tfw too tired to vidya too awake to sleep, should be finishing job application but would probably just fill it with sarcastic shitposting.

Perfect answer.

>should be finishing job application
What are you applying for?

Comms tech for power utility, probably mostly maintaining microwave towers, radios, error reporting systems and fiber lines.
Pay's really good and it'll get me outdoors more, which I miss.

Usually when I'm playing board games it's with friends at a pub. So usually it's stuff with fewer pieces to keep track of, so we'll start with something like Coup while waiting for people to get there, then have a few rounds of something like Secret Hitler.

What're other good games we can play at a table in a bar while drinking?

Anyone think the Deep Madness creators will open a late backer campaign? After ordering the Warchest for The Edge: Dawnfall. I really want to get Deep Madness also since I have another group who probably be interested in playing with me.

Just got the Descartes edition, not sure I want to keep it; it'll be so hard to convince exactly five people to play a thin cardstock game using a printed-out reference packet.
Could I theoretically get away with registering as a Chinese corporation running a Deluxe Dune KS campaign through a TOR client?

>I spent more time engine building than kicking heads in, which makes me frown slightly.
This is every faction. CH is Scythe without the production values or the insight.

I'm hoping further plays convince me you're wrong, but it certainly seems like this COULD be the case - though there was still more interaction than in Scythe.

I don't think CH is a bad game necessarily, but I do think that it was hyped and advertised as something other than it really is, which is an engine-building Eurogame.

The closer to shipping we come the more my regret turns to anticipation.

Did they remove two entrances from the starting tile? Looks like they're putting backer feedback to good use.

I knew from day one that the rules would essentially be made by backers and that this would essentially be the 2003 Doom game with DS minis.

What I'm really psyched about is that they did away with "lol you literally can't lose."

Shadows of Brimstone

Took some games for a weekend away with family, played Carcassonne, Codenames and Coup.

As others have said, it's ok. There's a lot of shit, but that's true for the industry as a whole.

Don't think I've played anything released this year.

Kemet, Merchants & Marauders, Archipelago.

They've come a long way. This was and still might be the most risky Kickstarter I've backed, but I have hope now it might seriously hit the table for more than just the IP.

How did they remove it?

Look at the section about sparks. TLDR though, depending on the number of players, you have from 5 as 1 player down to 2 as 4 players number of sparks. You regain all your sparks after beating a boss, but every time you die you lose a spark. and if you die at zero, the game is over. If you kill a boss with sparks remaining, you get bonus souls. Also good to note, one player dying sends the whole party back. No being a sacrificial pawn.

PBUI?
> What's your favorite game that uses an (almost) unreasonable amount of minis?
StarCraft I guess
> What have you played recently?
First time playing Kingdom Builder and Seasons.

Kingdom Builder was ok. Simple mechanics and easy to teach.

For Seasons I just wanted to learn the rules. Seems super fun, would buy it if not for the abundance of 4player games that I have.
> What's your opinion on Kickstarter regarding our hobby?
I'll never use kickstarter because the risk of being scammed is too high
I'll never buy a game that has kickstarter exclusive content
I think that established companies that use kickstarter are out of their minds. It should be used by new people going on the market without means of funding. But what do I know. People are clearly giving money in droves so why shouldn't companies use that.
> What's your favorite game of 2016?
I don't think I have one. The only neww game that managed to interest me was Clank but I don't know if I'm going to buy it.
> What games are at the top of your withlist?
Researching/looking for a 3p strategy game. Looking at Triumph and Tragedy at the moment.

>PBUI
en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Peace_be_upon_him

>I'll never use kickstarter because the risk of being scammed is too high
>It should be used by new people going on the market without means of funding.
You don't see some kind of contradiction here?

ACK.
No. People are free to use kickstarter. *I* just don't want to use it.

And no wouldn't use it for an established company too - I'm not buying a cat in a bag. Give me the finished and reviewed product.

Is Thunderstone Advance worth a buy if you're already pretty invested in Dominion?

Also is Among the Stars worth if you've already got 7 wonders?

Any VTES players here? Or is it dead nowadays?

>awesome minis
>beautiful boards and artwork
>fantastic gameplay with clever combat mechanics that allow for many tactical decisions
>up to 4 players skirmish with team play support
>story driven scenarios also for up to 4 players
>a total of 97 miniatures in 48 different sculpts (including a total of 8 Gods and a massive TITAN!) and still with more to come as more stretch goals are being unlocked

All that for just $99. You literally can't afford to not back this.

Pretty elaborate reverse psychology plan you have going here.

Share your thoughts as a comment on their Kickstarter page here:
kickstarter.com/projects/806316071/mythic-battles-pantheon

You have to be a backer first though so do that and then you can tell them what you think.

Become an Olympian God and fight beside the greatest heroes and monsters to ever live in this beautiful miniatures board game. Each God, hero, or monster possesses spectacular and unique powers. The game blends elements of drafting forces, card management, and special dice to enable skilful use of combos and player influence over chance.

The Titans have escaped their prison in Tartarus to wreak havoc and devastation upon the world. Seeking revenge on their jailers, they attacked the home of the Gods - Mount Olympus itself! The battle was long and closely-fought, but in the end the Gods were victorious. Even so, the battle cost them dearly.

The surviving Gods are greatly weakened and have lost their immortality. The only way to regain this power is to assimilate the energy stones called Omphalos. The first to absorb enough of this energy will become the new ruler of the Gods, and can create a Pantheon in their own image. Each miniature possesses unique powers: Zeus throws lightning bolts, the Hydra regenerates, Achilles is almost invulnerableā€¦ These powers can be combined to create devastating effects. At the start of each game you choose a God, and then build a warband around them. Choose wisely!

Fuck off shill.

So much shilling.

i backed the game but i m thinking of droping my EB.
the gods and the combat doesnt really looks great.
the only thing i like is the activation cards, wich mean you need to manage who and how many time you activate a god/hero/unit.
the combat with removing dice to increase a roll seems meh.

as for i watched a few video. the game looks strange. the tiles should be much bigger for the boss fights. the dancer room was so small it felt really strange.
the way mobs attack pattern works looks both interresting and a dumb down mechanism.

>spreading the word about a fantastic game is shilling

I pity you that you don't understand the passion and excitement and enthusiasm a person can feel when experiencing something great.

forgot to mention it, i backed deep madness cause an EB became availalbe 6min before the kickstarter shutdown.

god damn CTR it didnt take too much time for you to find a new job, is there a shilling job research website or something?

You can drop it but when the game comes out and people see how awesome it is you will wanna bite your own ass.

What do you not like about the gods and the combat? These are the main aspects of the game so why did you back in the first place?

Personally I think the dice mechanic is much more interesting than in other games of that type.

i m not into confrontation skirmish game.
i like strategi game this one is kinda luck based since you are dependant on luck to activate your units with card (thou strategy card can allow you to fetch but still) i dont like the dice system
i ll just resale the game when i get it, the stretchgoal make it worthwhile that s all.
i only view this game as an investement cause the mechanism are lackluster for me.

If you are not into skirmish games then yeah the game is totally not for you.
I think the luck factor is pretty small thanks to fetching. Give me a call when you find a good tactic/strategy combat game that doesn't have any random factors.

REX wants to have a word with you

Shadows of Brimstone
Smash Up, TIME Stories, Celestia, Incan Gold
Mostly a good thing as it allows some truly decadent shit I love like SoB, but parts of it is cancer of course, hype machine, exclusives not only in the basic pledges but also in add-ons and shit... Currently backing the new SoB and Mythic Battles but I may have to drop MB, still thinking about it.
i think my only 2016 game so far is Warhammer Quest Silver Tower. It's ok.
>What games are at the top of your withlist?
MoM2nd edition, might pick up gorechosen too. Starting to think about getting Scythe and Viticulture too.

Completely different genre. Might as well pull chess into the debate.

I called this 6 months ago.
Guess I could complain about them being lazy-ass motherfuckers that just designed cool toys and crowdsourced the actual game design, but I'm glad someone actually listens to their fanbase/customers/critics and at least tries to deliver a good gaming experience.
Fuck kickstarter chaff.

>Thunderstone Advance
New edition confirmed, might as well wait so you don't have to pay top dollar for 'collector' swag.
$150 for a used set is a ripoff.

Anyone else backing both The Edge: Dawnfall and Mythic Battles: Pantheon

Not being a poorfag is great.

Why both? In what ways are they different? Haven't spent much time looking at them.

>Why both?
>How are they different?

Both a drastically different from one another user in both setting and mechanics. Also why wouldn't i want both? The more choices you have to play board games the better and the release for both are spread apart enough that I won't ignore one for the other.

O L Y M P U S
L
Y
M
P
U
S

Does her shirt attach to the nipples to stay that way?

They changed it.

>push a bunch of minis around on a battlefield
>play cards to activate special abilities

Both are skirmish games. Sure they aren't the same but still similar enough that I would never decide to buy both even if I were a millionaire.
But sure if you want both and can afford then go for it.

Goddesses don't have to explain shit to mortals.

I just don't know why hadn't I thought of that before.

>susd reviews conan

oh boy, can't wait to be lectured about how it's 2016 and sexism is killing board games

>women are being depicted as sexual beings
>that's hateful and bigoted