I want to play a Gungan soldier character because the physical design is pretty cool...

I want to play a Gungan soldier character because the physical design is pretty cool. How do you make Gungans cool to play?

Other urls found in this thread:

starwars.wikia.com/wiki/George_R._Binks_(comic)
twitter.com/NSFWRedditGif

By making a Sith Lord Gungan

Darth Darth Binks

See above

Lose the accent.

Use their tech but have him actually be decent at soldiering.

Their shields are in all but d6 star wars as far as I remember. Get a vibro spear, the shield and some decent armor. Capitalize on their mobility.

I think this more than anything else really. Its a cool idea other than the accent

You start by playing a non-retard.
Then you work out which kind you're playing, the fat kind or the thin kind.
If you're playing the thin kind, remove the terrible accent, as said.
Give them a halfway decent backstory.

Really, it's basically "don't be the world's worst roleplayer," with the added problem that your choice of race immediately raises red flags.

Wellsa. The first ting yousa need to be doin is talkin in da accent of da gungans!

Mesa tink dat besa the mosa important partsa of playin yousa a gungan.

Densa after yousa gota da accent downah yousa need to besa doin the worlda a favorsa and hanga yousa selfa.

I imagine a rogue-type Gungan would be terrifying.

Best advice so far.

There's still no real point. The Gungans as a race are inherently ridiculous. Why would you base a character on one of the worst-received parts of the setting? It's like asking how to make a Kender cool to play.

That old guard captain seemed like a pretty cool guy. I've heard someone say before that Phantom menace would have been vastly improved if he and Jar Jar switched places, so he was an exiled old soldier with a funny accent who was kicked out for embarassing the idiotic prince of the Gungans, and has to scramble around saving Jar Jar from his own idiocy during the battle against the droids at the end.
Anyway, I'd play him as a tough, world-weary mercenary. Awkward looking, but not actually clumsy. Personally, I wouldn't lose the accent entirely, but I would tone it down. Maybe he's been speaking standard basic for a while, and only slips into Gungan patois when he's drunk or really mad.
He's not a psycho, but he is pretty violent and thuggish. Gungans are fairly strong and agile, right? Maybe he has some big vibro-halberd as his primary weapon.

But have them regress into it when it would be appropiate.
Like a mexican living in the USA using a more familiar expeletive when the situation is thoroughly fucked

Sounds balla as fuck, I never got the feeling that all the Gungans were shitty. Just ol'Jar Jar Mcqueesme

If you go Jedi/Sith, I think it'd be really, really cool to have him sword-and-board a Gungan energy shield with his lightsaber. It'd be a really unique fighting style that many adversaries aren't used to fighting.

Short version: Don't make Jar Jar. Gungans are fine, it's Jar Jar that is shit.

There's an edit floating around where they reverse Jar Jar's lines so he's speaking an alien language and subtitles featuring all new dialogue.

They play up the fact that he's more of an uncultured backwards rube than a goofy clown. And the fucker's actually pretty funny.

I do think it's unfair that Jar Jar serves as the archetypal Gungan, though. His whole backstory consists of him getting kicked out (more than once) specifically because the other Gungans found him so annoying and troublesome that they told him to GTFO.

Think of the unique things the Gungans have going for them.
Culturally they're very war like without being darkside, preferring to just spar and practice to be ready without going a conquering for shits n giggles.
Technology wise is where shit hits the fan.
Gungans don't build tech, they grow it. Everything is built in that manner, and powered by that strange blue plasma-goo that nobody else seems to have. They've got some of the best shielding in the verse and their tech is all water proof by necessity.
With the slave race of the Glurrgs at their command, Gungans are freed up to devote their time to things other than upkeep and maintenance, meaning that arts and warfare etc get more attention.
Then you have the Kresch, a bio-computer thing that remembers everything ever and is effectively immortal, keeping them from ever backsliding.

Of all the starwars aliens, if you really look at them, they're some of the most really alien.

You re-write their entire personality and culture, or play a Gungan who fucking hates the rest of his race.

Not all Gungans are bad.

starwars.wikia.com/wiki/George_R._Binks_(comic)

>or play a Gungan who fucking hates the rest of his race.

Jar Jar was an atypical gungan. As other people pointed out, he was a social pariah and completely incompetent even by Gungan standards.

Just remove any association with him. You know the one. Don't do anything reminiscent. Just watch the movie and ignore him, and take traits from the others- the real ones.

Play a cool character with a Jamaican accent. Not a comedy Jamaican, mind you. No "bumbaclots" or anything, just pronounce things slightly differently. Done.

Play him like a WoW Troll. Jamaican-ish voodoo doctor type character with a deep voice, strong heritage and solid spirituality who rarely loses his composure.

Gungans are cool. Jar Jar is the lone exception, and even the Gungans agree. They exiled him, remember?

Go play Star Wars Galactic Battlegrounds and you'll see.

Or watch the Clone Wars episode with the stupid sexy pink female Jar Jar.

A Veteran Gungan, someone who fought the CIS droids during the first battle of Naboo. Afterwards he went mercenary with a handful of droid weapons and drones made of kludged together battle droids. Lost the accent after getting off-planet after it cost him several lucrative jobs. Maybe he's jaded that the republic didn't step in to protect Naboo sooner.

>Drop accent and speak regular basic
>Give them basic competency in life
>Make them freelance soldier instead military soldier
>Make them quiet and silent
>Don't draw attention to the fact they are not-Jar-Jar

You just posted how with pic related.

Give him a deep cajun accent and you're good to go

Got any source for this edit? Sounds neat

It's called the Phantom Menace Anti-Cheese Edit.

It's been blocked on YouTube by Disney, but maybe you could find a torrent somewhere.