Why is Heroquest so great?

Other urls found in this thread:

youtube.com/watch?v=Cx8sl2uC46A
youtube.com/watch?v=wC2QJa8olUk
youtube.com/watch?v=h1sZ1JZLRu4
heroscribe.org/markmiller/downloads.htm
north-american.yeoldeinn.com/system.php#miniatures
twitter.com/SFWRedditVideos

Because it's simple, satisfying and fun.

The best thing about Heroquest is the Gargoyle.

There is not a finer miniature in all the land.

The best thing about heriquest is the art
look at that barbarian

Because it feels like an RPG, and takes as long to play as a board game (per quest).

Plus, there limitless possibilities for quests, do a little digging online and you can find hundreds of hours of stuff to do.

Also, , pic related

THE BEST THING ABOUT HEROQUEST IS THIS TINY FURNITURE!

I myself have begun replacing all of my furniture with tiny Heroquest furniture.
Even the doors!

The best thing about Heroquest are the dice.

Look at the muscularity~!

a quick fix for gamist roleplayers

It was a fun, simple game some of us played as kids as a gateway into traditional games.

I haven't played HeroQuest in years but that video convinced me it was the most fun I've ever had in gaming

Also context if you don't get the joke: youtube.com/watch?v=Cx8sl2uC46A

I wish my HQ furniture was in that good condition.

The best thing about heroquest are the doors

The best thing about Heroquest is the Barbarian.

The best thing about HeroQuest is the board.

I love how that video guy mixes in fantasy words/phrases (well met, throughout the realm, arcane secrets etc) in his reviews so naturally. A true neckbeard

I love how the dude has like 5 copies.

I finally have a complete set. Played the first quest, The Maze, a couple of weeks ago. I was DM whilst my friends played the Barbarian and Wizard.

It was funny as fuck, they kept searching for Treasure and for the small returns they alerted way too many Roaming Orcs (in the UK version at least there's actually nothing in the rules stopping you repeatedly searching rooms, only that whilst treasure is removed from the deck whilst stuff like Spear Traps and Roaming Monsters remain). By the time they even get anywhere near the centre of the board where the exit is, they're both walking wounded with three Orcs in pursuit, their attacks limited by the narrow corridors. At this point the Wizard absolutely sells out the Barbarian and hightails it to the exit, claiming the 100 coin bonus in the process, whilst the Barbarian just about limped in several turns later with little to show for it.

>tfw you'll never play gravity land

because it had the best commercial
youtube.com/watch?v=wC2QJa8olUk
i m glad i kept my box from when i came back from the US
the game is great.
now people demand 200jewro for the core box...

The best thing about Heroquest is the box art. Ask Prince.

And Bob Hawk. And Reggie Bennett. True luminaries.

Warhammer Quest it's better

Warhammer Quest is like £200 compared to about £50 for Heroquest if you take your time and buy bits at a time though.

It's a good game but there isn't as much gain in enjoyment as there is in complexity.

And Silver Tower doesn't deserve the name, it's not awful but it has nothing on either game. Boring.

I wish more mainstream companies would make furniture. That shit's useful.

BRODESODE

need to buy at least that many to make up a full set these days

Dragonstrike is clearly superior
youtube.com/watch?v=h1sZ1JZLRu4

Heroquest was the first true boardgame I ever met , dug it up 17 years ago from my grandparents' basement but only got to properly play it two or there years ago. I remember I wrote one of those "put all the minions you have in the box in the quest at the same time and call it a day" scenarios when I was 12, just as a thought experiment. Good times, good times.

How does it hold up? We now have the new Warhammer Quest, Zombicide, Dungeon Saga, Shadows of Brimstone, Descent. So how does the old Hero Quest hold up today?

Me and my friends have a blast playing Z:BP. Got the Kickstarter Version with everything. It's nice it's quick and you get to play another game in the evening.
We also play Shadows of Brimstone. That was in my opinion "Random Encounter- The Game". Way too many random shit happening. I can see the appeal, but it took way too long and then "rolling for stuff happening between games". Way too old schoold way too random. Also the fights are just a clusterfuck. When you draw a lvl3 or higher encounter card, you and your party are fucked up, when you just began to play. After 3~4 play we quit. It wasn't that fun for us.

So now I'm looking at Dungeon Saga. Does anyone have any expirience?

Also wasn't there a 25th aniversery Hero Quest box???

The best thing about Heroquest are the expansions which should be discarded immediately because the only way to expand Heroquest is with MORE Heroquest. Otherwise you wouldn't be able to experience such cracking adventures as the dreaded 'Tower o' Peril' and 'Gravityland'.

>How does it hold up?
extremely well

>Also wasn't there a 25th aniversery Hero Quest box???

No, basically through a shell company Ludofilia S.L, serial GW copiers Gamezone Miniatures took a load of crowdfunding for a game they didn't have the rights to; either from Milton Bradley, Games Workshop or the creators of the unrelated Glorantha RPG called Heroquest, Moon Design Publications, who own the copyright to the word "HeroQuest" in the USA at least.

I think they claim to have the rights through the local Spanish translator of the Heroquest boardgame but it's shoddy at best and nobody has received anything.

The Conan game that just got released from Kickstarter has some nice furniture in the expansion pack.

Dungeon Saga furniture is sold separately

FHIRE OV RAFF

I wish there was someway to get a real reprint. I had to buy 3 copies on eBay to make a full set.

Dear god the nostalgia. My box is probably in my parent's attic.

Holy crap, I have this game but I never played it. I gotta play it now.

>had a shitload of fun playing that game with friends when I was little
>thought I lost it years ago when my family moved in another town
>my parents found it all dusty in an old cardboard box and nearly threw it with the garbage
>I was visiting them that day
>mfw
No way I'm ever losing sight of it again. And that was my blogpost for today.

I recently got my Conan board game from Monolith, and it's a very Heroquest-esque game, pitting a group of heroes against monsters in various scenarios. The selection is relatively limited but they're due to be adding more stuff, and I've had fun in my first few playthroughs of it, despite the godawful rulebook.

What scale is it? Too big to use with 28mm minis?

hero quest more lighter.

Any ideas for similar boardgames with cheap minis?

I know the D&D Fantasy Adventure Boardgame is quite a common source. Reaper Bones fit the bill too.

youtube.com/watch?v=Cx8sl2uC46A

Warhammer Quest

>"Oh no! Mormons!" *clack

The Best thing about Heroquest is the Dwarf, the barbarian is strictly for beginners, he is in fact easy mode. True Heroquest players, and masters of the game, choose the Dwarf.

because memes
it's fine, but most fond memories are just nostalgia speaking. Sure you can have great fun with it, but there's better out there now.

Descent 2e- look on book depository for it super cheap. IT's more of a fantasy objective-skirmish, though.
Mantic's Dungeon Saga is basically HeroQuest, but again and somewhat modernized.
Silver Tower exists, but is certainly not cheap.

Go back to the ffg forums Christian T Peterson. No one on Veeky Forums is dumb enough to fall for your shilling

>someone recommends a ffg game, among others
>they must be a ffg marketer
yeah good mate good contribution you helped

Did you paint those? I have that game and plan to paint the minis soon.

The D&D adventure games like are pretty solid. Try to get The legend of Drizzt though. Its gameplay is so much better than the earlier games.

Warhammer primer vs Dungeons and Dragons primer; a true clash of titans. But only one came with a cheesy VHS tape.

I got this game when I was much younger. Unfortunately I lost most of it, only the board and a handful of the figures and furniture remain. Anyone know of or have something like PDF resources of the rules/adventures/cards? Perhaps even for the expansions. I would love to play this with some friends with what I have and improvising the rest. As much as I'd love to have it whole again can't justify the cash to piece it back together.

Seconding this request.

what a great day to be alive

heroscribe.org/markmiller/downloads.htm somthing like that?

Ye Olde Inn is the best website I know of, stuff for every version of the game.

Exactly what I wanted, thanks.

Polite bump.

Rebasing the minis onto circular ones takes about ten years off the models.

It is literally a cheap plastic version of this.

Heroquest is basically "not-Warhammer".

Yeah, GW simplified current models to suit the plastic technology of the time, I imagine.

The Chaos Warriors owe a lot to Slambo.

W-Where do I get this? Is it still being manufactured?

It is not, and likely never will be due to the IP being split between two companies who have no interest in working with one another.

brb killing myself

Hope is not lost, friend! HHeroquest is DIY friendly!
north-american.yeoldeinn.com/system.php#miniatures

I wouldn't be too sad user, after only some cursory interest I got the majority of the models for £17 (along with a bunch of Advanced Heroquest, Warhammer Quest and Battle Masters stuff), and after a little bit of waiting got the entire boxset minus models for £30 posted.

I've made a bit of a hobby looking for parts to make a complete original set of HeroQuest. In fact that most of what you find on eBay - people selling spare parts from trying to make complete sets.

There are complete and near complete sets you can find on eBay, I got mine (all paper components included and in fantastic shape, very poorly painted, slighty damaged, and one missing mini, door bent to HELL) for under $70. Since then, I have kept and eye out for the parts I need.

I have replaced the Gargoyle as the include one was missing wings and, just today, purchased a set of UNPUNCHED doors with bases.

Going to try stripping the minis with simple green before I buy new ones. I want it to be as close to out of the box as possible.

So far I've spend about $120, which is pretty good considering what you see sets going for. I suspect by the time I am done I will have spend about $150, perhaps $175 if I am unlucky with the Simple Green.

I love you guys

Cute bunny or symbol of Eternal Evil?

>tfw the US version is actually more complicated than the simpler UK/EU one

I am quite sure MB and GW could be persuaded to work together for the right price. The issue is a completely unrelated RPG owns the Hero Quest IP.

Ahem half moon designs owns the Heroquest name not the Heroquest IP

Dungeon Saga is damn near the same thing.

You can get a complete copy of Heroquest for under $70 on eBay if you are patient. Set an alert to notify you.