Pathfinder General /pfg/

Pathfinder General /pfg/

>THIS IS IMPORTANT!
If you want build advice make sure to say what 3pp you can use, if any.
>THIS IS IMPORTANT!

What kind of goals do your characters have?

Unified /pfg/ link repository: pastebin.com/JTj1yEmU

Broken Shackles Playtest: app.roll20.net/lfg/listing/59701/broken-shackles-test-play
Creation Handbook Playtest: docs.google.com/document/d/1kitAB8sHgmuD3fvOMuI_KyV_dxpO2wrxQmbnCoRgglA/edit#
Avowed Playtest: drive.google.com/open?id=0B5HkyGRtGZy3SWVhdWFBWERWWjg

Old thread:

Other urls found in this thread:

giantitp.com/forums/showthread.php?353181-Dread-Necromancer-Pathfinder-update-(WIP)
youtu.be/9vqypMHxJDs
paizo.com/pathfinderRPG/prd/ultimateCombat/variants/woundsAndVigor.html
twitter.com/SFWRedditGifs

Now, the question of the day. What tripfags do we need to crucify to appease the gods? My vote goes to depressed homebrewer.

I vote you, faggot.

I was told we would have an anime picture

i was lied to

I just want to make a phylactery and achieve immortal life. And if I lose 100 lbs of water weight in the process that'd be nice too.

tfw you will never be a qt lich

i mesterbated

We were on page 6, motherfucker.

Let's continue our lamentations from the last thread

>Amazing game run by great GM dies off after 3 sessions

>What kind of goals do your characters have?

>My sister is missing
>The harvest failed and I need fast cash to feed my family
>I'm running away from my problems
>I've got to prove myself a worthy suitor to this Nymph

My goals are never too complex.

>up until 4AM making charsheet
>GM flakes

What do you do when you start to get bored of a character? I've been playing a bloodrager for over a year and I'm really starting to get over him. There are so many other builds I want to try!

>no game.

>pull a "you're dead all along" twist
>players mad

The PCs were investigating their own suicides the entire time. I enjoyed the fuck out of the twist, especially when one thought that they were their own best friend having been murdered and put into a box, only to see how own wedding ring on the hand inside and not knowing what the hell was going on.

Ask for a reroll or to bring him in as a new build. Have it be a quest.

Just retire him and roll a new PC user.
If you put yourself in a corner by making his only goal in life be the goal of the campaign, well... Talk to your GM.
Otherwise, there's always a reason to stop adventuring.

Pls no bully when I say this, but I'd actually quite like the chance to play a slightly lewd game with you guys. I'm not hurting for "normie" campaigns, but all this talk about thick, heavy character generation and tight gameplay is really getting my creative juices flowing.

>game consistently 30 minutes to one hour late
>slow as molasses barely make it to level 2 the 4th time we meet
>virtually nothing gets accomplished in game because 2 people want to do their own thing and the other 3 dont care and just go with it
>no one wants to be the face
>when I try to give direction I get called out for hogging the spotlight
>tfw knowledge checks make me the defacto party leaders because I know people in town and what different monsters are
>tfw I am the only one who buys supplies to actually go out adventuring
>tfw the others expect to use my gear and food when the spent it all on personal gear

I just want to ditch the party and run a mildly successful thieves guild. Is that really too big of a goal?

Maybe you should run it, user.

There's nothing wrong with large statblocks user, thick point buys and excellent houserules for character creation.

>when I try to give direction I get called out for hogging the spotlight
>tfw knowledge checks make me the defacto party leaders because I know people in town and what different monsters are
>tfw I am the only one who buys supplies to actually go out adventuring

Too raw, too soon.

Why do you want to crucify namefags?
Why are you trying to appease gods which don't exist?
Why are you even here?

>Too raw, too soon.

Why cant they just buy some trail rations? They are so cheap and I see on their sheets they have like 50g and 12s and 13c.

I don't know! I don't fucking know! I'm the guy that takes great pains to add autismal little details to their character sheet too!

Too many people forget to bring their Grooming Kits while out on adventure, what's up with that?

Hey you Pathfinder fags, this isn't Pathfinder related but it IS kitsune and mind control related. Could I get some GMing advice here?

>Join a level 6 gestalt
>Buy a whole host of standard DnD things like rope, chalk, bedroll, oil, tinder, grappling hook, mirror, etc
>Realise I can fly and have loads of other utility and never ever need them
>They literally sit untouched at the bottom of my inventory list for the entire year of playtime

Longterm
>become super powerful mage
>win the affection of his childhood crush, or at the very least make amends(which is the best he could hope for really)
Short term
>try to figure out what the hell his employer wanted before he nearly got killed
>find and deliver some payback to those fucker who ambushed him
>visit his parent's grave, he hasn't been in town for about 6 years.

But user, I've never handled a chargen that generous, what if I mess up?

Fuck me, I didn't see this thread.

How can I make a Necromancer who focuses on a single strong skeleton instead of a mob? My DM said I can use any Dnd or PF 3.5 supplements so right now I have a Skeletal Minion replacing my familiar from UA.

Everyone has a first time.
Just pick your players carefully so they look like nice people with a good grasp of the mechanics who just want to have high powered fun, and not people who will take the mechanics to make perfect killing machines.

Ideally you can have honest talks with them about what you could do better, what they liked and didn't like, what they think could challenge their builds, etc.

Same with soap! Smelly slubberdegullions. And mess kits. And a change of clothes.

If you cannot find a use for it you are misappropriating your funds sir!

>Spend a lot of time adding fluff to my character sheet
>Write up a bunch of trivia like blood type and favorite color etc.
>Keep an easily accessible journal and notebook
>Nobody, not even the GM, reads any of it

Haha

>should have just made a new character instead of trying to brute force the one I have into competence
>realization that the new character I had in mind would leave a big, gaping hole in party composition, since he's the only one with any actual restorative abilities
>I would have probably gotten flak for wanting to use a Jollylock due to "stat-to-damage touch attacks with deadly aim, it's better guns!"

I should have just gone with magus.

giantitp.com/forums/showthread.php?353181-Dread-Necromancer-Pathfinder-update-(WIP)

Dread necromancer is a good one. But it is more several powerful ones. I dont think there is a spec that focuses on just one big undead.

Summoner can make its eidolon undead-like if you want something along those lines.

Oh shit, I forgot Shayliss Vinder is going to be in the Rise of the Jade Regent campaign.

You'd just discard your daughter like that?

>nobody wants to be the face or decide anytging8
>end up unintentionally leading the party because im the only one who has any agency
>my character is supposed to be meek and shy but just got fed up with all these bakas milling about directionlessly

>3 hours of planning for a 2 turn raid

She deserves better

She just wanted to go meet her uncle.

She never asked for this.

Re-toasting in this bread so I can get some more feedback. What do members of /pfg/ enjoy in their settings?
INb4 train guy says trains again.

>My lament is that I can't lament in thread because other players in the game browse /pfg/ and would know I was talking shit about them

youtu.be/9vqypMHxJDs
How to properly lead a party.mp4

>Add fun little descriptions to all of my items
>Lacquered Minkai-made snuff boxes, black steel axe with lustrous golden inlay, Qadiran carpets, fine Nirmathan cotton clothes embroidered with heraldry, etc.
>Emphasize the types of ingredients I put into meals
>Use downtime to hunt a white lion on the Whistling Plains in Taldor, just so I can get a bitchin' cloak and mantle
>Even after doing this for a year, none of the other players have tried to pick up the miles of slack I'm giving them to join in

This is suffering, hopefully things will be less self-masturbation when January rolls around.

Just be vague you pussy

This is a better Anubis.

Challenge a giant to an arm-wrestle.

>Re-toasting in this bread so I can get some more feedback. What do members of /pfg/ enjoy in their settings?

I like settings that actually feel like they're "filled in." This whole, "large swathes of uninhabited, fertile lands" is just silly.

Significant Neutral-aligned powers.

Good and Evil shouldn't have all the fun.

I've called them out on it before and the the issues are uncommon enough that they'd put two and two together.

Found the variant rules for HP and Injury, anyone here ever try the Vigor and Wound system? Did it work out well at all? Or do you have your own favorite variant?

paizo.com/pathfinderRPG/prd/ultimateCombat/variants/woundsAndVigor.html

>you get to 6th level on your character and realize your build is not fun to play

We're level 14. I think I'd win. I recklessly charge into combat all. the. tine.
Our life oracle is my character's sister, so even when I die (which has happened several times already) I'm brought back.

What did you roll, and what did you envision? What do you want to do now?
May be salvageable with retraining.

There was a DnD 3.X book that had a neutral force. The creatures all shared hit points so even though it only had like 10, any damage it took was split evenly amongst all of its kind so you effectively did zero damage to it. It didnt move to attack either, it just walked up to you, then a wound appeared on you where it hit you.

They were responsible for maintaining balance. IT was pretty cool.

___________________________________________trains_____________

Where can I read about Apsu?

>No new DSP stuff for ages

What are they working on, these days?
Anything in the works besides the errata that isn't a public playtest?

Do they have a good editor now that Forrest left?

I'm not picky when it comes to egyptian themed characters user

Yep. I got that checked off, most nations are pretty tightly packed, with cities, towns and villages all over.

Check. By having less firm "deities" and a softer pantheon with some interpretations on them it's got a large bunch of neutral factions. You even have some smaller states that are removed from the larger nations.

_______________why?__________________________________________

Bolt Ace
I envisioned Bolt Ace actually being fun on the long run

Nothing /pfg/ killed DSP with the constant POW shitposting.

>Where can I read about Apsu?

Faiths of the Inner Sea, even details stuff about Apsu Paladins.

That does not seem like it would be fun to play with. To me it looks like you have massively reduced durability from a life total perspective.

I could be wrong but I dont think that is a suitable replacement.

>I'm not picky when it comes to egyptian themed characters user

Are you going to include an Egyptian-esque region in your setting, user?

>By having less firm "deities" and a softer pantheon with some interpretations on them it's got a large bunch of neutral factions. You even have some smaller states that are removed from the larger nations.

>mfw you make a Lawful Evil Militant Order (Teutonic Order) or a generally good religion waging expansionist war against the Not!Baltic kingdoms of the region, who already worship an interpretation of that generally good religion.

Yes, the Teutonic Order was evil. They were and *are* the archetypal example of a Lawful Evil organization.

Could be worse
>GM explains mythic levels
>Doesn't let us look at the book
>"ok, I think I go trickster this path dabling feature looks awesome, are you sure you can pick it more than once?"
>"yeah, you totally can"
>"Well, I'm going trickster because of it"
>By tier5
>"You cheater, you can only pick path dabling once!"
>"? I guess? I mean you're the GM, you explained it to me, you didn't let me read the manual at all, so I guess it's your fault? well, if it doesn't work like that I'm going to change path..."
>"No, you're trickster deal with it, change that feature but you're still trickster"
Blog off

A reason to not give up and just kill himself.
At the moment busy with tagging after the rogue, but if anything happens to the guy he'd probably end up just killing himself/starting a fight he can't win at the moment.

>So what do you guys do next?
>*five minutes of dead silence*
>"uh...."
>"yeah that."
>Guys?
>"... Okay look, we know there's probably some information in the library that old geezer with the cave was maintaining, so we'll go do some research about the macguffin over there unless someone has a better plan"
>"DUDE WTF"
>"SHIT MAN WHY DO YOU ALWAYS DO THIS?"
>"?"
>"OKAY EVERYONE GOES WITH WHAT I SAY, ONLY MY IDEAS ARE WORTH ANYTHING", You didn't even listen to any of our plans
>*I blame your mothers for this*

Danke my good man/woman/Hind-D

>What do members of /pfg/ enjoy in their settings?
Various ethnic groups and regional tribes that squabble and hate eachother, and all have their own minor traditions.
Possibly one of the only things I loved about Wheel of Time.
Plus it allows you to have more bang for your buck in regards to races.
Aiel best people

A Big Bad-style nation of Orcs or Goblins.

I like to incorporate a variation of the White Cloaks in my settings.

Give me one good reason why your setting can't have trains.

Magic

Rust monsters keep eating the tracks

>he doesn't have magic trains

Pleb

>His setting doesn't have large bounties on rust monsters.

also goblins will steal your tracks too
or orcs

Putting a fire elemental and a water elemental into the same room creates too much pressure on the engine making them too costly.

Also Teloport Circles.

Is it unacceptable to roll up an extremely optimized character that can shit on anything... And then intentionally underperform down to the power level of the party?
I really like the idea of having a secret Avatar State/Super Saiyan mode/etc. on an otherwise seemingly normal character.

This actually makes sense to a point.

Well
Lot of numbers in Pathfinder are always on
You can't really hide your power level

Trains naturally attract mimics.

To be fair, they are essentially the NotSpanish Inquisition, except with "Darkfriends" and Aes Sedai instead of heretics and Jews. Its really easy to shoehorn them in.

Nothing wrong with it, user!

Honestly how do you plan on "underperforming"?

That is going to decide it. A lot of optimization can't be turned off because it's simply the fact you have a high DC, to hit, saving throws, etc.

Monks keep going around suplexing them so they break

I want to FUCK the Spirit of Adoration!

go away sabin

The major city in my setting has this instead:
>permanent demiplane station
>has exits to multiple major cities in the empire
>been there for hundreds of years
It's much faster than trains.

Wait, they're still around?

are there train mimics

>When interacting with easily frightened mortals (especially children), she uses her shapechanging powers to look like a human or elf of normal height, attractive according to the standards of the local people, but she never makes herself so beautiful as to cause jealousy or inspire inappropriate comments or attention

She's too pure for that.

Terrorist attack with MAGE'S DISJUNCTION when

Nobody's come to the economic problems and solutions that would result in the invention of trains yet.

Closest thing so far is a donkey or camel caravan, nobody needs METAL BOXES yet to move the amount of things that actually get moved. Imagine making a Boeing 747 only to have about 20 people riding it and no reason to go airborne because all your travel routes are either overland or crossing shallow seas rather than oceans. It's wasteful.

Something similar actually happened. A bunch of citizens got thrown into the astral sea.

But it does have trains.

I'm thinking about a Destruction spherecaster with a ton of CL boosting effects and such.
Normally it'd just throw lightning bolts at people for leveld6 damage and such, but when shit hits the fan it uncorks the +8CL Empowered Lightning blast in a line and the +8CL Quickened Sonic blast in a cone.
Probably higher than +8CL honestly, I've yet to powergame it. Just a concept.
Fluff it as very draining, maybe make him fall unconscious after.

Mimics can mimic anything non-living.

>train sized mimic pulls into station
>gets a huge meal of people

jesus christ how terrifying.

You don't even have to fluff it dude.

the Overcharge boon lets you knock yourself out with your magic if you use it enough.

I did, but it got the shit conquered out of it by another nation during my world gen. Lucky the conquering nation is more of a "Puppet the cities" then a "Raze the cities" sort but the egyptian-esque nation is a slave to their Orcish conquerors at this point.

See above, the orcs unified ages back, conquered Hobgoblins and the goblins and then waged war on some not vikings and won. The nation's power and aggression comes with the next leader proving themselves and the most recent leader lead the war against not egypt pushing the orcish nation up to the borders of an advanced human empire.

I can see something like that happening to the poor halflings. They've been minding their own business, fishing and whaling but one of the religious human empires built up a shitton of troops near their border.

How small scale do you figure for this? Like one town against another? A couple of regions in a nation? International conflict and tradition difference is a given.

Because slavery was never eliminated the drive for industrial machines was never needed and so the basic building blocks just weren't there. People know steam can be used for things but why bother investing when you already have 12 people out working the field that you only need to feed and clothe.