I want to get into traditional games

I want to get into traditional games.

I tried D&D and didn't like the drama class exercise roleplaying.
I just want strategy and squad tactics. Or leveling and management.
Videogames like Xcom, FF: tactics, Fire emblem, are my favourite.

I played Catan and it was fun but felt light on tactical elements.
I used to collect Warhammer but I travel a lot now and don't bother to bring it with me. Something I can carry easily in a box preferentially.

pic related looks cool but I don't think it's an actual game.

Anything you could recommend?

Other urls found in this thread:

d15yciz5bluc83.cloudfront.net/wp-content/uploads/2011/10/BattleTechQuick-Start-Rules.pdf?x64300
twitter.com/SFWRedditImages

That's a heroscape tileset. Would have been right up your alley if it wasn't discontinued.

Look at squad level skirmish games. Heroclix. Star wars xwing. Warmachine.

There is literally an Xcom board game, and it is good.

We need more info though, Do you have friends? How many of them could you trick into regular board gaming sessions?

Do you want games you could break out with different groups, what setting?

>Hexes
>Tactical

Come to /btg/, friend...

Only here would you have to ask someone whether they have friends before suggesting something for them.

If you want really in-depth mechanics, historical boardgames. Those are often ridiculously complicated.
If you want something lighter, either something packaged, like Pixel Tactics, any of the 40k boardgames (but not the actual wargame, it's jank) or a skirmish level miniatures game, like Infinity (IMO the best one, but also pretty advanced), Star Wars X-Wing, Warmahordes (though that is more of a list-builder game), Battletech etc.

>Only here
Nah man... maybe things are different on /soc/ or Veeky Forums, but Veeky Forums is full of abrasive antisocial basement dwellers.

It's just that in most other boards, they don't actually need other people to do the things involved.

I should have posted it in the last post, but since you probably don't want to go out and drop money on a game without trying it out, these are the free quickstart rules to give you a sample of how the game plays. In spite being 36 pages, a third of that is taken up by short stories, and another third taken up by cheat sheets, stat cards, etc.

I learned to play this way, too, but the version I learned on was from the last edition, and didn't include tanks or infantry

d15yciz5bluc83.cloudfront.net/wp-content/uploads/2011/10/BattleTechQuick-Start-Rules.pdf?x64300

seconding X-wing, or armada if you prefer big guns

If you dont like Role Playing then Role Playing Games are probably not for you

If you are going to play Boards game, having willing friends or the ability to make them is important.

If he said no, we could suggest several different solo board games or vidya based board games.

Anything that requires more than 2 players gets tricky but I don't mind having each player control two teams. I'm not as interested in solo games, I'd probably rather play vidya.

Small, private setting. Something I can play in a hotel room or break room.

I would have loved an Xcom boardgame.

Cheers, I'll check these out.

>any of the 40k boardgames (but not the actual wargame, it's jank)
Fuck no. They're average games with a pricetag 2-3 times anything else out there, because of the Official Games Workshop™ Miniatures.

I just bought Dungeon!, what am I in for? I'm a newbie and that looked like the perfect place to start. I always thought D&D was pretty cool, but seemed a bit too complex. Did I do good?

Have you tried Kingdom Death Monster?
If you aren't into the THICC appeal, it's still really easy to get into as the game itself while relatively "simple" in design it gets deep fast, kind of like XCOM2.

Also for , on tabletop simulator they have a mod for HeroScape, can't say if it's good or not as I haven't tried it, just letting you know.

You could always find a group that likes to powergame with 3.PF or AD&D as post 4e seems to be all the Ahrpeegee-ers.

>You could always find a group that likes to powergame with 3.PF
or you could just slam your dick in a door over and over again, would be about as fun. Just play a boardgame where that's the point hey

I got the game for you, friend.

Bloodbowl?

Your team levels up, bit of a management aspect i guess, and I guess piloting your team is "squad tactics" if you wanna be liberal with the definition

>Anything you could recommend?
Anything by leading edge games.

Their rpgs doenst require drama if you dont want and can be played as a pure tactical game

This.

It was partly inspired by XCOM even.

Battle for north africa is what you are looking for

Why does Veeky Forums keep shilling Strike!
Stop shilling Strike!

You... you might actually be one of the rare cases of people tho whom I'd recommend D&D 4e.

4e is pretty big on the strategic combat part, while the rest of the system (in my opinion, no need to start edition wars) is really small and mainly serves to string combats toegether.

>Cheers, I'll check these out
Do be careful with Battletech. It's low-minis count, but the game has not aged all that well. It follows extremely 80's design trends, and is riddled with random d6 and 2d6 tables that you will have to reference constantly.

Malifaux and Infinity may give the 'tactical and portable' wargame you're looking for, each running with relatively small model count forces. It's not as small as playing lance v lance in Battletech (4 models a side), but it's usually around 6-12 models a side.

Wow, It's been a long time since I've seen Heroscape...
I used to play that game all the time with my friends. We collectively purchased every expansion wave available. I think I still have all my stuff in a box in some attic.

I recommend the game if you can find it. It used to be a big seller on eBay, but it looks like most stuff outside of the base set is being sold at collectible prices.

Make me!

>This artwork

C-cute

Most of the artwork in the book is just plain bad instead of being adorably bad, sadly.

Although, it does convey the idea in a fun way.

How visual/tactile-heavy do you want it?

If very much, Infinity is pretty much XCom: The Miniature Wargame.

If hardly any, go to the boardgame general and ask them to point you towards the best place for hex&counter stuff.