"In MY setting, elves are 12-foot-tall, subterranean-dwelling mutated mushrooms with obsidian armblades!"

>"In MY setting, elves are 12-foot-tall, subterranean-dwelling mutated mushrooms with obsidian armblades!"

Why do writers do this instead of christening a new name upon the creatures, so as to avoid misleading expectations?

The source is "Gods of the Fall," the Cypher System's much worse and clunkier attempt at copying Godbound's exact same premise.

Other urls found in this thread:

forum.rpg.net/showthread.php?391379-setting-riff-Voices-From-Below-and-the-Long-Stairs
twitter.com/NSFWRedditVideo

Stop making this fucking thread. Literally no one gives a shit.

Thinking they're original. Now, your example can easily be fixed by replacing the word Elf.

Not that big a deal.

Huh? There's yet ANOTHER cypher system RPG? They really need to focus their resources with the Cypher system instead of releasing random shit in hope it sticks.

Like, I like the system and all, but it really only works with big heroes who beat the shit out of everything and get tons of magic loot (AKA high level D&D). Dunno, why they insist it's flexible and shit.

"Buttfucker" Knight.

He will fug u in da butt.

I want to really use it for a straight up post-apocalyptic story with cyphers being scavenged tech.

And that is just numenera with additional familiarity and less "lol, it's weeeeeiiiird!!". They probably should have released something like that instead of The Strange or the generic rulebook or this shit (Or even numenera in the first place).

Oh look, it's this thread

yeah, but at least this one's OP went to the trouble of actually finding an example of it rather than just wailing and gnashing his teeth at the meer hypothetical posibility of people having fun wrong, so I gotta give him at a little credit, just a liiiiitle.

I actually like Numenera as a setting. I don't care if it's not scifi enough. I like science fantasy, I like weird, which many times is just a tweaking of aesthetic. It works for me.

Weirdness only works if it's grounded some way in an existing and "less weird" concept, otherwise it's just a mess.

>Elves are a fungus.
>"The second deep"
Oh fuck me it's project long stairs from RPG.net!

What?

>Why do writers do this instead of christening a new name upon the creatures, so as to avoid misleading expectations?
Just so I'm clear, you are asking why the hell would the writers call this an Elf when, in fact, it has absolutely nothing that tie it it to the mythological creature? even on a basic level?

Well to answer you're question; because I haven't seen this thread before Hell if I know!

There are two other threads on this up right now, piss off.

That's literally what Gods Of The Fallen is.

>Shitting on Bruce Cordell

Bruce Cordell shat up Planescape with Die Vecna Die!

I don't care. Fantasy creatures vary between settings. It's literally not important unless it's confusing.

You might be right, I just know the strange is better written then Numenera

>What?

Google is your friend Comrade

forum.rpg.net/showthread.php?391379-setting-riff-Voices-From-Below-and-the-Long-Stairs

Because there are no real elves to get offended, and offending nerds is hilarious.

Bases on the first two posts of information, I have to say no. On God's Of The Fall the Deeps are layers of ancient civilizations virtues on top of each magical.wards imbues by the gods ises to keep each layer sealed away but the literal Fall of the Gods (when the heavenly plane physically crashed into earth) has ruptured those seals. The Second Deep is the second layer I think there are six. The Deeps are located in one spot, there aren't random portals everywhere.

The Fungal elves could be a reference though, since there's no real reason to call giant mushroom monsters elves.

I'm really confused, when people say they want original elves, does that mean they want the tolkien morphology but not the tolkien persoanlity, or do they want short elves.
while I'll agree calling this an 'elf' is an asspull, what do you think about dragons having such a wide breath, vaguely repitlian= dragon. What do you think of dwarves being elves in the tES, and orcs being elves in LotR

They are going for originality points, because if you call that thing "crab-golem" or some shit like that, it would become just another giant monster with handblades and caprace armor.

>crab-golem

>that thing
>crab

Jeez, what do crabs look like where you live?

>monster with a confusing name
>it has a confusion attack in the game
Looks like they got it just right this time.

>literally 20 posts in and no one has pointed out that in the margin, there is an explanation of the connotations the word "elf" has in whatever setting this is

>the name Christian actually has nothing to do with Christianity irl, so in my seting the valiant daedric paladin is called Christian. >Also I attend 'Rationalists hangouts' weekly, and donate to TheAmazingAtheist and ThunderFoots patreon.
But according to you this isn't an asspull.

In my setting elves are short, stocky men with beards who live underground and mine precious stones.

They're still doing the same thing;completely changing what elf means. There's no connection to the normal depictionnof an elf, it's not even elfin.

>OP is always a faggot so just ignore them anyway
>look at pic
>Most Common nightmare found in the Second Deep
>the Second Deep

Whoever wrote this should feel fucking ashamed. That's why that thing is an "elf", because they are a boring, unimaginative hack.

Its lazy writing. But if they'd named it something else, there'd be a thread complaining about random keyboard mashed names like Th'a Unkar, or complaining about cribbing from not-english is shit, or a thread complaining about overly direct titles like 'The Fungal Stalker'. Veeky Forums just likes to complain about shit that has nothing to do with them.

I mean, they must have picked Elf on purpose, it's honestly a 'what did he mean by this' situation. It's a bit monster squirrelled away in one region of the setting, why did he want to call it an Elf?

>Sticking pepe in a blender
Why?

Everything?