/ccg/ Custom Card General /cct/

Paired Permanents Edition! (Soulbound, Meld, Partner, etc)

To make cards, download MSE for free from here
magicseteditor.sourceforge.net/

>Hi-Res MSE Templates
pastebin.com/Mph6u6WY

>Mechanics doc (For the making of color pie appropriate cards)
docs.google.com/spreadsheet/ccc?key=0AgaKCOzyqM48dFdKRXpxTDRJelRGWVZabFhUU0RMcEE

>Read this before you post your shitty card!
docs.google.com/document/d/1Jn1J1Mj-EvxMxca8aSRBDj766rSN8oSQgLMOXs10BUM

>Design articles by Wizards
pastebin.com/Ly8pw7BR

>Q: Can there be a sixth color?
A: pastebin.com/kNAgwj7i

>Q: What's the difference between multicolor and hybrid?
A: pastebin.com/yBnGki1C

>Q: What is precedence?
A: pastebin.com/pGxMLwc7

>Art sources.
artstation.com/
drawcrowd.com/
fantasygallery.net/
grognard.booru.org/
fantasy-art-engine.tumblr.com/

>Stitch cards together with
old.photojoiner.net/

>/ccg/ sets (completed and in development)
pastebin.com/hsVAbnMj

OT:

Other urls found in this thread:

magic.wizards.com/en/articles/archive/arcana/brief-history-standard-banned-list-2015-07-13
twitter.com/NSFWRedditImage

Thanks pal, that works a lot better

Hmm, one of the few times I already have cards to fit the theme, and someone else made the thread. Weird.

Just a thought what if you made one give +4/-2 and the other -2/+4 and a way to fetch both of them with a sorcer?
Either way I like your idea!

Glad I could be of help. Speaking of...
>T, X: Remove up to X counters from target creature.
Notice how here I use a comma to get the proper order. Also, you shouldn't have X refer to two different variables. But anyway, I don't entirely know how to word the last ability, since we only have Leeches for precedence.

>Whenever ~ enters the battlefield or dies, it deals damage equal to its power to each creature and each player.

This is a primarily Red ability.

Eh, I'd rather not throw in negative numbers like that. As for fetching them, you just gave me an idea. Thanks. Oh, and what said. Also, WB for a 4 damage boardwipe is unbelievably, absurdly powerful. Seriously, this has "emergency ban" written all over it. For the record, there's only ever been ONE emergency ban is all of Magic. ...Too bad I can't remember what card it was...

2 mana for 8 damage on board? broken as fuck

Up it to 4 and make it "each other creature" for the ETB and then you've got something. Also, At least R/B, not W/B.

thanks again for noticing,
being a Dylexia fucking sucks
I know but I was doing a set of White and Black with a friend all about definance and chaos and freedom and I just liked the idea
star, thanks for the tip, ammending now!

That would be Memory Jar.

Interesting. I kinda only want the "pairing" effect to work when they are both attached to the same creature, but that's kinda pedantic I guess. I think they are reasonably costed, so that's fine.

This can get nuts with anything with evasion.

This is monored.

Not too shabby, though one +1/+1 counter and it snowballs thanks to first strike.

Amendments done,
Is there anything else that can be improved on?
I just looked at that? Forgive my ignorance but what was so egregious about it?
Maybe make it a 1/1 to start with?

Damn, I thought it was, but wasn't entirely sure.

>Swords
Yeah, me too, but it got to the point where I thought it was needlessly detailed as well. Heck, the way Wizards is doing some Equipment matters, they don't even care if the Equipment you control is attached to anything.

>Headstrong Youth
You making another card for Arrogant Kung-Fu Guy, or is this it? Anyway, I think it's a good fit. Possibly undercosted, but that could just be me. So anyway, do you have an actual set for this stuff, or are they just loosely-related one-off cards, kinda like my CO "set"?

>I just looked at that? Forgive my ignorance but what was so egregious about it?
TL;DR Magic was already dying, and they banned Jar because they thought it might have been the final nail in the coffin otherwise.

Or even simpler version.

Eidolon of Friendship 2GW
Creature- Spirit Ally
Whenever a creature with soulbound enters the battlefield under your control, create a token that's a copy of it.
3/3

Iyasen, the Bloodied 2RR
Legendary Creature- Spirit Warrior
Whenever ~ becomes blocked by a creature, it fights that creature.
Whenever ~ deals damage to a creature or player, put a +1/+1 counter on it.
2/3

Yeah, I think I'll go with 's suggestion and make it 1/1. Should I make it WB to compensate you think?

This is just the "I'm a young badass" trope card. The dude the hero beats then becomes friends with. The actual arrogant dude has to be older and more established.

>set
No, just a "design shell" like you're doing, but with related custom keywords and mechanics.

>Hippolyta
>how does she manage to sculpt all these clay women with her hands so full?

But for a more in-depth analysis.

Power levels and metas don't stay the same forever. Cards that were broken before might not be broken now due to changes in the meta. This is why the DCI is constantly banning and un-banning cards in various formats. So sometimes you might hear of a card that was banned and not understand why, and it might be because the meta has shifted so much from when it was banned.

Remember that Magic is incredibly complex, and there are many ways to make effects work in ways they aren't intended, like turning Fiend Hunter into permanent creature exile. In Jar's case, it boils down to three simple words.
>draws seven cards
Seven cards. An entire hand. Sure, you have to discard them later, but until you do, you get to play around with all the nice cards that you just got. Drawing a large number of cards is something that should NEVER be underestimated.

But as for the last part, I'll let Wizards explain it for me in pic related. For reference, the Urza's block is infamous for printing some of the most disgustingly overpowered cards in existence. Wizards wouldn't quite reach the same level as broken-ness until Mirrodin.

cool idea! feels a tad powerful though. Maybe make it Blue Blue and Red Red instead of 1 and one Blue
Thats cool man! where did you find that?
ok here we go amended, also I added the you take damage to stop cycling like crazy, what do you think?

For the record, these are all the cards from the Urza's block that are restricted in Vintage. You've probably seen or heard of most of them before.

I had never heard of these, aside from lotus petal and tinker, but in honesty I did only start playing 4 months ago!

Building a sort of "commander set" with three-color sets using partners. In order to get only one of each color pair in the sets, I'm using non-standard "core" colors for all the triplets. For instance, the Esper duo is Dimir and Orzhov.
Furthermore, I'm trying to fit every triplet into the same setting, and each of the five shards/wedges in their own world.

Each tri-color group has a focus color (both partners share that color), and a desired mechanic/focus. Right now, I'm working on the shards.

This article.

magic.wizards.com/en/articles/archive/arcana/brief-history-standard-banned-list-2015-07-13

Though all I did was search
>MTG emergency bad
on Google.

>Sun Spinner
This should still be Red. Actually, you know what, I'm sorry, but you're new. Very new, I can tell. Until you become more familiar with cards, you should probably stop trying multicolor.

Okay, first off, the card is still red.

Let's analyze the abilities:
>ETB it deals 2 damage to each other creature
Okay, that's Pyroclasm, basically. A 2R card.
>LTB it deals 4 damage to each other creature and 2 damage to its controller
So a mass Char. That's a 2R card.
>4/1 body
That's a 2R card.

So all told, you have 6RRR worth of card on a 2WB body. Just so you know. And, it's uncommon.

Urza's was so insane. I played around that time and I think it was when the culture really shifted to the "Spike" mentality whole-hog.

Wow. This is really good. Should be rare, I think.

Hmm, I guess I need to start watching more martial arts movies. What's good on Netflix?

>set
So, what keywords and mechanics do you have so far? Besides the P/T switching thing.

>Hippolyta
I've honestly always hated the clay thing. Just seems... I dunno, silly, I guess. Which I realize is weird for me to say, but still.

Not perfect, but much better, thank you. You should really download MSE.

Thanks man, there's nothing to be sorry about pal you make a very fair point
right, thanks for the heads up, I think I'll split Sun Spinner into two seperate creatures then

MSE?

I feel like you might as well just say
>*/4
>~'s power is equal to its toughness.
And let that be it. Weird effect, hard to judge, Honestly, affecting the toughness through power is something I'd probably ditch.

>Urza's
Was it as bad as everyone makes it out to be? I always like hearing people talk about old metas, I guess partly because I rarely play myself.

Seems cool.

Magic Set Editor. Do you notice how all our cards look different from yours? That's because we're not disgusting plebs like yourself. Nah, just kidding. It's because we're using MSE, which is a whole hell of a lot more useful, and pleasant to look at, then Cardsmith. Link in the OP. BUT DON'T DOWNLOAD IT TO YOUR PROGRAM FILES FOLDERS, DOWNLOAD IT ANYWHERE ELSE!!!

why not to progmans?

Should be
>Your maximum hand size is increased by one for each creature you control.
Though frankly, I'd make it
>Your maximum hand size is equal to the number of creatures you control.
I also don't see the Black in this.

I think my only real objection to this is that it can pump itself. Everything else is either fine or just needs slight adjustment, I think.

Windows doesn't like things making changes in program files.

Because if you do that, you won't be able to update it with add-ons. It's the main reason why people have trouble updating. And the problem is that the main MSE file doesn't get updated by the creators anymore, you have to use add-ons to stay up to date. And to get all the wicked cool frames like this one.

star! thanks guys

Anything Jackie Chan. I just watched some thing about him hunting down Zodiac statues; it wasn't bad. Had some American actors in it which was strange to see. Ip Man is alright; the first one is the best. I love the old cheesy ones too, but there aren't usually many on Netflix because you can get like 18 of them for $5 in a DVD set these days.

A far as the tropes go, I plan to do those, but I also plan to do more legit Wuxia stuff and really try to make it feel like martial arts on Magic cards. It's just for fun anyway.

Mechanics are:
>Duel (To duel, tap both creatures. At end of turn, each deals damage equal to its toughness to the other.)
This is "not!Fight" but drawn out because think of all the martial arts duels you see. Some last a while, some end fast. Duel lets you attach equipment, cast combat tricks, and do other stuff to affect the outcome, so it's more involved than fight, but fight will make several appearances too.
>Meditate (You may choose not to untap this creature during your untap step.)
Lets you turn your creatures into enchantments or back to creatures, basically, depending how you construct them to utilize it.
>Style swap
You know this one already.
>Hell cards
Aura Curses; the fun is in the flavor.

>Blessing
Amazons as Naya tickles me. Card seems pretty good but it's going to SWARM your board if you have a lot of 0 cost equips floating around.

>Your maximum hand size increases by 1 for each creature you control.
I think.

>gains
gets.
This is a really old-style card they don't do anymore. I don't really care for how fiddly it is.

I copied Doran for the first bit, but you might be right; that kinda rolls everything together a bit better. The math on combat tricks is odd either way, so maybe I'll go with your version.

>shock gloves
Strap a super angry Ashmouth Hound to each hand: the Equipment.

>card
Example of a Meditate card.

I really like this, but I don't know I think I'd drop the colorless cost make him UUU without the hexproof and prowess then make his pseudo cumulative upkeep cost to every upkeep. That way on turn three hes more or less a 3/1 for 3

Star?

>Ip Man
I hear about that a lot. Which kinda sucks since apparently there are a billion movies with that name.

>Duel
I feel like this could be solved by choosing a creature you control, and opponent chooses a creature he or she controls, then they Fight. Would more or less get across the idea of a duel, each player choosing their strongest warriors.

>Meditate
Eh... not really sure about this one. I feel like it could just check to see if the creature attacked or blocked this turn.

>Hell
So, Curses basically? I mean, do Hell cards have any real mechanical difference from them?

>Amazons as Naya tickles me.
Glad you like it. And I realize it's going to be huge, that's why it's legendary, and the cost is so high.

>I copied Doran for the first bit, but you might be right; that kinda rolls everything together a bit better. The math on combat tricks is odd either way, so maybe I'll go with your version.
Wait, I just realized I fucked up here. In order for -N/-0 effects to decrease toughness, as you want, you need to make it so the toughness is determined by the power. But wait, that also means that buffs to toughness don't increase power. I think your concept can't work because it's trying to do two opposite things. Could be wrong though, very tired right now.

Oh its just a turn of phrase in Sheffield (north in the UK)
just means good,
also this a quickly update version of >50244593

I might drop Duel, I am not sure it lends itself to anything too new or exciting. Nobody cares about the timing change and the idea of being able to do stuff while it's happening so if nobody likes it, why keep it? I may try again later with a different idea.
>Meditate
I had it like Style swap where you could tap it during your upkeep and choose not to untap it, but was convinced to make it so it just let you choose not to untap it to make you decide how best to tap it to begin with.

>Hell
Yeah, that's what I said. No, no difference mechanically. They are just Aura Curses, same as we've always had. They are just fluffed as the 18 Chinese Hells. I've only done one so far.

I'm pretty sure if I just say "~'s power is equal to its toughness" it works fine.

If you cast a -N/-0 effect on it, it gets affected as normal. If you cast a -N/-N effect on it, it loses double the power it would lose normally. If you cast a +N/+N effect on it, it gains double the power it would normally. It's a bit strange but it's fine. It's a rare, after all, and doesn't have anything else to really worry about. I did strap Trample onto it though.

~'s power is equal to its toughness doesn't work very well due to layers.

Actually, I just thought if I added "base" to that would it work? Or do I have to change it back to how it was, riffing Doran and using that strange "stuff that modifies power modifies toughness" wording again?

Base power and toughness isn't actually a characteristic of a permanent, it's a nonfunctional change intended to reduce confusion over how p/t setting effects work.

>If you cast a -N/-0 effect on it, it gets affected as normal.
But that's not how it would've worked on your original card, which is why I'm confused.

>Hell
Sorry, just wanted to make sure.

Ah, OK. Card looks so much better now. The frame needs to be updated though. Ask someone else how to do it though, I'm going to bed.

Yeah I'm not sure how to do this now. I want to, but I feel like I'm going to be pulling my hair out over it. Maybe I should take a break.

Taking a break from a card is usually never a bad idea. Take some time, come back with a fresh perspective.

Everything on this is too cheap.

What parts of MtG design are the most annoying for a card designer? Other than the fact that cards have to be made to work in meatspace so you can't do all the crazy shit digital-only cardgames do.

y/n?

arguing over whether or not something works under current game rules and no one accepting the very real solution of, "So just change the rules."

There's nothing demonic about Grunmel.

Putrid Claw is missing "creature token" after Plant Skeleton.

Vendar should only affect nonartifact spells.

Vesala is interesting. Pay life equal to converted mana cost, rather than just mana cost.

Vesnal - If you would gain life, you may scry X instead, where X is that much life.

Putrid and Vesala are good on their own and don't really need or support enough synergy to justify partner.

These look pretty neat user, I especially like Vesnal.
However, I do feel Grunmel has a bit to much for being a partner commander, I feel like the second ability is more than enough.

Good dog.

>grunmel isn't demon enough
he is from a plane where the rule of the angles has grown so dominate people are turning to demons to try and over throw them. It's mardu demons vs esper angles with a bunch of temur shamans fucking around and being dirty hippies.
Grunmel is one of the leading rebel generals and is consider the primary teacher of battle. The devils are just generic recruits from the underworld, and what better way to supply your war front then to steal your enemies weapons?
I agree him being RW doesn't feel demon, but that's simply him on this card. Just like how even though Tezz is esper he has been printed mono blue.

>vender too much reach with effect
Alright sure, that sounds fair.

>ves and ves text wrong
Thank you for the correction.

>Putrid and Vesela feel too good to be partner
I'll agree with you on Vesela but I feel Putrid just making magma ragers is kind of weak.

>Grunmel feels too good to be a partner
Yeah I agree, I felt like I was pushing the envelope with him. To be honest I can't see a real need to leave RW when doing equipment memes besides maybe splashing blue for some artifact shenanigans. I could just make the Devil creation cost U and turn him into Jeskai.

Instant speed magma ragers mind.

I'd like this more if it was a 2/3 for 3 but that would make it too good.

I think I'd like this more thematically if instead you made a copy of it whenever a land enters an opponents graveyard from play.

That makes it way too narrow. Easier to change the name if it's a flavor problem.

Nah it will be the allstar clock in mardu land destruction and the bane of all fetchland mana bases.

Rubbish in a limited environment though.

Not if you put in evolving wilds and land hate, land sac spells, and crackable lands.

Really don't want to put in that kind of land hate just to support a single card.

I don't think this really works. Why not >becomes a copy of the exiled creature card?

That'd be simpler I suppose.

Posting updated black commons while I work on the red ones.

Pretty sure the graveyard to battlefield ability on this stops it from being a common. Also could probably stand to be 2W at uncommon with that said.

Doing a full 10 pair cycle of flashback cards at common.

How is this black?

Pretty sure the X can be defined as the number of counters removed in the ability's text.

The way it's currently worded, you can pay less than X, but you always have to remove all counters.

Wording with X= counters can 'overcharge' the card, making X too high to be payable.

Then I would just make it that you remove X counters as part of the cost. Doesn't make sense that you would remove all of them every time. It's not necessarily a balance issue when you pay X and tap.

I would assume because black gets to peek occasionally with discard cards, but by itself, it's shaky at best.

That means you can get X=1 or 2, and get reliable free swings or blockers each turn. Isn't that a bit too much?

Can't you /already/ do that in the current version?
Feels like you should cut back on the keywords the tokens get anyways. Evasion, haste, and evasion doesn't make much sense even if all you're trying to do is balance it by its rarity.

How would you cost the abilities? Assuming that the mana cost of the card remains the same.

Because then you might as well just start making your own game. Seriously, I've been there, there's a reason we're sticklers for rules.

>X, T, Remove X arcane counters from ~: [...] X can't be 0.

Not bad. Kinda getting an Aura Barbs vibe. Actually...
>At the beginning of enchanted player's upkeep, each enchantment attached to that player deals 2 damage to him or her, then each Aura attached to a creature that player controls deals 2 damage to that creature.

Can commander tax be referenced in effects? "If X, ~'s command tax costs 1 less", or something?

You can make it "Your commander costs 1 less to cast for each time you cast it from the command zone."

Bump

Force of Will bump

You can kill yourself at any time.

That's not very nice.

Captains ardor is missing an and.

Seismic Event is actually too good at instant speed. It's like a better double Ice. Upkeep taps basically make it a 2-turn lockdown.

I really think you should make something else to fill Rowdy Crew's spot, and just make Rowdy Crew mono-Red. Admittedly, this is mostly a personal thing, I just don't like seeing cards making off-color tokens. But if it's a big tribal thing, I guess it's OK.

>Parley
Oh cool, you used my quote!

And the rest of the cards looks pretty fine, except maybe Seismic Event, which seems too cheap. I think the Flashback cost on this should be a bit greater.

>card
Soulbond lord that does dumb rules things.

Don't know the templating for FoW, but I think it might be nice to be able to draw it even if it does have Quickcast.

Seems fine. I like the flavor of it.

As promised, first draft of the red commons. Feedback, as always, is much appreciated.

Fixed.

Hmm maybe it should go back to being a sorcery.

I could start them off as black tokens instead.