Flames of War General: "If they want war, then Soviet" edition

Flames of War SCANS database:
mediafire.com/?8ciamhs8husms
---Includes our Late War Leviathan rules!
Official Flames of War Free Briefings:
flamesofwar.com/Default.aspx?tabid=108

Current Veeky Forums fan projects - Noob Guide &FAQ, and a Podcast
drive.google.com/open?id=1eD3nkA51ddl3nmltKg0zsnfrOUhlWgcc4h5aqz-RFqw
Quick Guide on all present FOW Books:
wargames-romania.ro/wordpress/wargames/flames-of-war/flames-of-war-starting-player-guide-the-books/

Archive of all known Panzer Tracts PDFs: mediafire.com/folder/nyvobnlg12hoz/Panzer_Tracts

WWII Osprey's, Other Wargames, and Reference Books
mediafire.com/folder/z8a13ampzzs88/World_War_Two
and, for Vietnam.
mediafire.com/folder/z8i8t83bysdwz/Vietnam_War

--Guybrarian Notes:
docs.google.com/document/d/1eD3nkA51ddl3nmltKg0zsnfrOUhlWgcc4h5aqz-RFqw/edit?usp=sharing

400gb.com/u/1883935

Panzerfunk, the /fowg/ podcast.
panzerfunk.podbean.com/
Panzerfunk Listener Questions Form:
docs.google.com/forms/d/e/1FAIpQLSeOBxEJbNzS_Ec7I76zQmCU9P7o0C5bAgcXriKQ4bOWBp4QkA/viewform

flamesofwar.com/Portals/0/Documents/Briefings/CariusNarva.pdf

flamesofwar.com/hobby.aspx?art_id=1949 the Azul Division: no longer linkable off the main page

Other urls found in this thread:

docs.google.com/document/d/1JWmbvVANUraO9ILWJZduRgiI9w4ZC3ytNUQE8rK7Xrw/edit?usp=sharing
flamesofwar.com/Default.aspx?tabid=117&ProductID=6182)
twitter.com/AnonBabble

That pun.

Speaking of soviets
>waits for collective holding of breath to stop
anyone feel like the TY soviets are too light a green for soviet vehicles? They look almost khaki, when I tend to see them deeper green or more puke coloured. I've seen ones from Africa/the middle east that colour but I tended to assume they'd been sandblasted.

Damn tempted to adapt this PSO camo.

Perhaps a little bit, but not by too much.

It seems Cold War era Soviet Green was lighter than WWII era Soviet Green.

Huh, was it darkened after the cold war, then? This is the sort of shade I usually think of T-72s and things being.

Maybe it's faded paint jobs compared to fresh paint jobs?

I honestly don't know.

Did we ever answer the rules question from the end of the previous thread?

I forget the exact wording, but it had to with an infantry platoon being almost fully wiped out by tanks, but still bailing out a tank. And how that would play out.

Tank platoon charges infantry. Defensive fire occurs, one tank is bailed by a panzerschreck or somesuch. It takes 2 to drive back tanks, so the tanks are in. Three tanks are in base contact with a stand each, and kill their stands. There are no infantry teams within 4" of an active tank, but the AT stand is still 4" away from the tank it bailed.

Is this tank still an assaulting team? If it is, there is an enemy team within 4" of an assaulting team, and the defender is allowed to motivate to counterattack. If it isn't, there are no enemy teams within 4" of an assaulting team, and the tanks have won the assault despite the potentially vulnerable position of the bailed tank.

I think late Cold War Soviet green is known for fading quickly to a sickly-looking shade. So think about how new your company is, and whether it's stationed somewhere sunny, and paint accordingly.

A quick check in the rules and a bit of FoW-logic: a non-assaulting team has to be nominated as such when charging into contact, or be changed into such by some rule. The tank obviously started as a "non-non-assaulting" team, and I find nothing in the rules that change it to non-assaulting upon being bailed. So the assault continues.

Yeah, my gut was that the tank will become non-assaulting (because it's bailed) if the infantry rally, but it was assaulting at the start of that step and is still assaulting at the end of it despite it's unfortunate encounter with a shaped charge.

Is there any difference in the M-109 models between the 'nam and team yankee kits?

Decals

MG3 instead of M2 AA machinegun, I'd say.
The gun seems to be identical in that pic, and that's the easiest way to differenciate between the two versions. If they didn't bother with it, they probably didn't bother with the rest.

Good to know, thanks.

Wait, on further inspection it seems that the team yankee kit has a longer barrel but the featured models (painted) on the box have the much shorter barrel!
[rivet counting intensifies]

Isn't the longer barrel on the American M109, while the West German on retained the short barrel?

No the long barrel is in the german kit and the short is in the 'nam kit.

He means for the TY M109; the US and British versions have the long barrel there, while the German one has the same short barrel as the Vietnam-era one.

And I'm saying the german kit comes with a long barrel according to battlefront's homepage.

Are the bases battlefront supplies with the older models (grey, no holes) plastic or resin?

Plastic. Unless it's one of the scenic resin ones.

They probably just recycled the image from the american kit.

Seems like it yeah.

>"might makes right"
>loses

>might makes right
>left

the one left standing

Have people been using M109s in Team Yankee?

What do you think of them?

Much better than Carnations because they don't have fuck all for skill and can actually range in.

r8 m8s

Italian Carri
Tank Company, from Hellfire and Back, page 28

Compulsory Compagnia Carri HQ (p.29) - CinC M13/40 (65 pts)

Compulsory Carri Platoon (p.29) - Command M13/40, 4x M13/40 (325 pts)

Compulsory Carri Platoon (p.29) - Command M13/40, 4x M13/40 (325 pts)

Tankette Platoon (p.43) - Command L3/35, 3x L3/35 (100 pts)
- Replace L3/35 (not L3/35 Brixia) with L3/35 Solothurn (0 pts)

Self-propelled Coastal Gun Platoon (p.33) - Command Autoconnone da 102/35, Autoconnone da 102/35 (240 pts)

Bersaglieri Platoon (p.31) - Command Rifle/MG, 6x Rifle/MG (110 pts)

Motociclisti Platoon (p.35) - Command Motorcycle Rifle/MG, 4x Motorcycle Rifle/MG (95 pts)

Motorised Howitzer Battery (p.44) - Command Rifle, Staff, 4x 100/17 howitzer (165 pts)
- Observer Rifle (15 pts)

Light Anti-Aircraft Platoon (p.46) - Command Rifle, 2x 20/65 on 3-ton truck (50 pts)

1490 Points, 8 Platoons

That seems more like Soviet complaining than an actual recommendation for M109s, but I'll take that into consideration.

The carnation is 5+ skill; an OP is mandatory, basically. For the yanks, it's nice, but 4+ is a decent range in, 3+ is gravy. Brits and Germans are 3+ and if they bring an op it's straight up first-time-every-time bombardments.

Bombarderiffic

Also checking Hellfire and Back, do EW italians not have Avanti/Unknown Hero?

They put it separate from the 8 Million Bayonets rule for some reason. Page 49 has them.

Bizarre, but thanks.

My current dumb idea is trying to get a Firestorm Seelowe game down. Portsmouth to London, choo choo.

I guess the biggest question is lists. Maybe a mix of Blitzkrieg and Hellfire and Back stuff, given some of the hellfire lists are second-rate stuff that could be spared for Africa?

I assume the Hail Battery works the same way? Anyone else use rocket artillery? I use the LARS battery with my West Germans mainly for the minelets and pinning infantry.

who is a anti/unknown hero?

Is that a hero unit?

Avanti is stormtroopers in the shooting phase (so less useful), unknown hero means the first time a command stand is killed, you test motivation, and if you pass the platoon gets 2+ morale and the command stand remains alive instead (and if you fail morale you retry the next time a command stand's killed until one becomes a hero).

>Avanti is stormtroopers in the shooting phase (so less useful)
Also based off Motivation instead of Skill, per the Lessons From The Front errata. For infantry, it's actually more useful than stormtrooper, since it can let you get off a 14" charge instead of the normal 10" and, lets face it, you're probably not doing much normal shooting with your infantry.

the USA paladins have longer barrels

brits are not vietnam models either...

Movement is actually one of the most important, and most overlooked, parts of the game.

Getting into a good position is key, especially for launching an assault.

True, but I' playing a tank company so it's costing me some decent shots when I try and use it. Will keep it in mind for infantry, though.

CyKa ByLAt!

Even with tanks, it's useful if either you're not in a position to shoot at anything (eitehr because you're hiding and trying to outflank, or because you'e already killed whatever you could shoot at), or because your guns (and do remember, we're talking italian guns here) don't really have a practical chance of killing whatever you're facing.

Early war, my friend. Italian tanks have good hard stats for EW. AT 6, FA 3 is solid for the period.

Yeah, that and it's blue/red desert, so I'm just going to have loads of cruisers and infantry to shoot, unless some nutter brings a matildas list.

Thinking of doing Bersags when they redo MW.

Same, desu. Dem feathers, man.

Here's hoping they actually release a plastic kit for them.

I wouldn't get them at present. Ordered some a few months ago and "burn victim" doesn't do them justice. The moulds are probably worn to fuck.

I'm currently going full grognard and reproducing the 9th Guards Tank Corps as seen in Berlin. Not full strength obviously. If V4 continues to shit on elite slavs I have backup plans.

>If V4 continues to shit on elite slavs
delete this

Hero lists are by and large laughable though. Cav are nice however.

But then we're going to have people saying hero is fine and the russians were never as good as the US, and then people saying there's over-statting all over the western front and that the fact all the red army stuff is rolled into two ratings loses that detail, and it's a huge flame war.

A huge Flames of War, you might say .

>That pun...

Get the fuck out.

Fuck you spiderman that was brilliant and I wish I had posted that.

It's absurd how much better the older starter boxes are. Even the soviet one; the hero list it's pointing you to is bad, but 10 T-34s isn't a bad thing to work from.

Yeah, the old 11 T-34 box was great for a Soviet tank starter force.

Although I don't think they ever did anything similar for say US Shermans or German StuGs or Panzer IVs.

Like we've said before, the current US set is pretty good, even if Pershing tanks are non-existent outside of Bridge at Remagen.

As for the Germans, going in half-and-half on Open Fire is a pretty safe bet.

Although a StuG or Panzer IV centered set would still be nice.

The new starter boxes were just made to ship the new plastic kits which presumably didn't sell as well as hoped. Of course some other models were thrown in to sweeten the deal (Shermans, T-34s, halftracks).

docs.google.com/document/d/1JWmbvVANUraO9ILWJZduRgiI9w4ZC3ytNUQE8rK7Xrw/edit?usp=sharing

>docs.google.com/document/d/1JWmbvVANUraO9ILWJZduRgiI9w4ZC3ytNUQE8rK7Xrw/edit?usp=sharing

Can whoever makes the next thread please include this in the OP post?

>The new starter boxes were just made to ship the new plastic kits which presumably didn't sell as well as hoped.
Yeah, it really is abundantly obvious when you look at any of the non-american boxes. Sell them on clearance? Nah, let's just screw over a load of newbies.

>Although a StuG or Panzer IV centered set would still be nice.
I have a question: Where are all the generic StuG batteries? In my memory, there were a couple, but I'm steadily checking them and they're all, bar none, a specific battery that's fighting in support of a specific unit, during a specific action. Apparently there were only 10 StuGs in Normandy.

There unfortunately aren't any no-unit specific StuG Batterie lists...yes, we get a list for every bloody Tiger unit in existence, but the real workhorse units tend to get ignored.

Best bet is to try to use one of the existing StuG Batterie briefings, or build it as a Panzer list (e.g. Grey Wolf) but with StuGs for HQ & Combat Platoons. Not perfect, but BF does not seem to care much for the StuG units.

No StuHs in there, though.

In the Panzer list, yes. There are StuH in the GW StuG Batterie, and the Bridge by Bridge one. There's also the Hermann Göring Eastern Front list which is a great StuG list.

For soviets it depends on whether you're prioritising getting games in and learning or having a strong list. A few T-34s will let you field a hero tankovy, which'll let you l2p, but for the easiest strong list to buy I'd say you want two boxes of infantry, some guns and some ISUs. You'll be able to put on a reasonable all-comers list with minimal (for soviets) outlay, and what's more you'll be playing infantry, which'll mean you actually get to grips with things like assault, digging in, and pinning and suchlike that tank vs tank will mostly skip over.

Honestly, if I had to do a LW starter box for soviets again I would probably go with two loads of infantry and a gun battery. It'd break up all tanks all the time and it gives you a strong core for the soviets.

Having done the math, it matches up to the US box: 5 M4A3s, 3 Pershings, and an armoured rifle platoon is £79, 2 boxes of infantry and 1 of zis guns is 78. Including comissars, observers, etc, that gets you 1275 points, with guards, which is a little low, granted, but higher than the brit box.

So, our local group has recently been expanded by the addition of a new Russian player. Unfortunately for him, he bought the Stalin's Bears starter box (and a box of infantry, thankfully). He did ok in the quick demo game we threw together, but that was with trained opposition instead of the veterans that are common locally.

Do you guys have any suggestions for him on how to expand on what he has, and/or how to use what he's got?

Gosh the BO-105 is so small and cute!

What does he got then?

Meine Brüder!

That rear rotor was a bitch to remove from the sprue.

6 IS-2s
3 ISU-122s
4 T-34s
1 Strelkovy Company w/ HMGs (flamesofwar.com/Default.aspx?tabid=117&ProductID=6182)

Those feathers and sweet motorbikes. Praying for plastics.

I have some nice clippers with a flat edge so I didn't have any difficulty, but I can see how many would. It's nice of them to give you two.

I see you did some modifications, looks cool.

Thanks, I'm doing them as hkp 9, the swedish version.
So tows instead of hot and some sensor cylinder.

Needs more T-34s. At least 10, preferably 15. Also the IS-2s are... hard to get value out of, especially by someone new.
Your pal needs more stuff basically.
>zis-2
>SU-100
>SU-122
>122mm heavy mortars
>katyushas
Any or all of these are good buys.

Oh God he bought the Stalin's Bears box! Abort abort!

Pretty much what said. MW and LW war tankovy lists depend on T-34 spam supported with mortars or assault guns to dig out infantry. The T-34 plastic kit has so much value as it can be the core of LW or MW just by swapping out the turret.

Also this is now a BO-105 thread

Forgot I made a little fixes + glossed and wash.

Speaking of horrible decisions and Berlin, how shit (relative to other Hero units) is the Hero Assault Tank Company, with the mix of T-34/85s and ISU-152s? Can the T-34s shoot first and bail tanks for the ISUs to kill?

Why would you use SU-100s?

>Can the T-34s shoot first and bail tanks for the ISUs to kill?
Nope. All shooting within a platoon, excluding smoke, happens simultaneously.

Niice

Love the design of those murdercopters.

At 16 and fa 9 for a decent price with cat killer to sweeten the deal.
What's not to like?

RoF 1, HnC, Slow and Overloaded.

So all is fine and dandy, assuming you're meeting a few Cats with no Smoke. Add smoke, add numbers, and they're moderately wasted.

Was going to answer but basically covered it.

RoF 1 kills it, the fact it can't reposition just makes it worse. Sure, it'll KO panthers if it hits, but that's a real big if.

Well all those drawbacks is also why it is costed so low. They are always priority one for my opponents to kill, even one is a threat to any tank other than a KT. I like them, they are hard to use but kill hard. Very russian.

If your opponents are panicking and focusing on SU-100s, then they're not great players (or you use too little terrain, or have a meta where nobody brings smoke). Bypass if you can (since they can't follow you), and if you can't, just smoke them.

You got me. My opponents are panicky, bad players and we never play with smoke and have too little terrain.

>Something can be countered
>Therefore its useless

When you are smoking the SU-100, you aren't pinning your opponent's heavy mortars. Same thing with sporadic air support. Even if they don't kill anything they have value in forcing the opponent to react to their presence.

Generally speaking, the arty that gets used for smoke the most, tends to not be the arty you want to use for actual bombardments.

Besides that, if the Soviet opponent is Fearless, pinning mortars and hoping it sticks is a fool's errand.

They're very hard to use, because they suck. Slow means they'll never get an opportunity to flank unless the opponent actively lets them. Overloaded means either you "park and forget" them in terrain, or you leave them out of terrain to reposition if needed. They're Soviet, so they suck ass at avoiding fire... Expect 4s to be hit at long range, 5s if at range and in concealment. And the piss poor ROF means tank for tank they will have half the pile of dice to throw. This makes them frustrating as fuck to to use for trading dice against Panthers, or Fireflies.

I love the look of the SUck-100s, but they most frequently get left in my case for any games I play. They're cheap, sure... But SU-85 and 85m are cheaper still, have twice the pile of dice, also get rerolls at range, and can reposition with a +1 penalty (as opposed to derpy +2).

Like with IS-2s, you can construct hypothetical positioning scenarios where the IS-2 is the exact thing you want, but most of the time they're going to be pretty useless.

The SU-100 is like that and, hilariously, for a lot of the same reasons the IS-2 is; can't move and shoot, one shot, and surprisingly fragile, though at least it's not pretending it's an assault vehicle.

Smoke in particular is a bad one to try and pick up on. Sure, if someone's brought exactly one 10.5cm gun, your cunning masterstroke works, but 90% of the time someone's just going to use mortars or nebs or 75mm guns to pop smoke. Or just one of the many direct-fire smoke weapons in the game. Or, again, just go around or take a concealed path.

SU-100s end up being like slightly cheaper Jagdpanthers, in that there's never enough of them on a board to cover enough angles, or put out enough fire, to really be a problem.