/5eg/ D&D Fifth Edition General: Giant Squid edition

Volo's Guide to Monsters in the trove. Be sure to buy it and support the hobby even if you download it!

>Official /5eg/ Mega Trove v3:
mega.nz/#F!BUdBDABK!K8WbWPKh6Qi1vZSm4OI2PQ

>Community DMs Guild trove
>Submit to [email protected], cleaning available!
mega.nz/#F!UA1BhCBS!Oul1nsYh15qJvCWOD2Wo9w

>Pastebin with resources and so on:
pastebin.com/X1TFNxck

>/5eg/ Discord server
discord.gg/0rRMo7j6WJoQmZ1b

>Veeky Forums character sheets
mega.nz/#F!x0UkRDQK!l-iAUnE46Aabih71s-10DQ

Previously on /5eg/... Which (giant) monster did you miss in VGM, and should be added by WotC as soon as possible?

Other urls found in this thread:

media.wizards.com/2016/dnd/downloads/UA_RevisedRanger.pdf
media.wizards.com/2015/downloads/dnd/DX_0907_UA_RangerOptions.pdf
media.wizards.com/2015/downloads/dnd/02_UA_Underdark_Characters.pdf
twitter.com/SFWRedditGifs

it's so you can use it as a second attack as part of an attack, or to dual wield crossbows

What's stopping a player from becoming a lich willingly?

I hear it's really extensive work.

the lack of knowing exactly *how* to become a lich

post your kobold PC ideas!~

How it's done really. Then you have to constantly be feeding the phylactery souls.

4e had some really good ideas and I wish it wasn't totally scrapped to appeal to neckbeards afraid of change.

Does anyone have any stat blocks for Skeleton PC's? Thinking about playing a skeletal knight at some point

You can't dual wield crossbows

Also,because being a lich is really shitty. You constantly have a smell of rotting flesh around you

Can't dual wield crossbows because you need a free hand to reload. The light property only affects melee weapons, so you need crossbow expert to fire as a bonus action, at which point the light property is useless anyways.

+1 doot
+2 spoops

probably should have specified hand crossbows. oop

They can't

Hello, I am going to play POTA.

The other party members are:

Battlemaster Fighter, Transmutation Wizard, Vengeance Paladins, and Storm Barbarian

I rolled stats: 17, 13, 13, 12, 10, 10.

We can use UA, Volos, any official stuff. Except if it has a flying speed then it's banned.

I was thinking of playing a Ranger/Rogue.

I was thinking of taking either a level 1 or 3 dip into the Unearthed Arcana Ranger. What one is better, the Ambuscade one or the Ranger Revised one?

media.wizards.com/2016/dnd/downloads/UA_RevisedRanger.pdf

media.wizards.com/2015/downloads/dnd/DX_0907_UA_RangerOptions.pdf

If I go those I'll probably go Seeker and Deep Stalker Conclave.

Are there any interesting Rogue stuff?

You can't dual WIELD hand crossbows either

my PHB doesn't say that but i just read the errata so i know know that

sure you can, you just can't reload one of them as i just found out

Then it's hold, not wield. Wield means to use effectively and actively, you can't dual wield hand crossbows or any crossbow for that matter.

> Hating fun THIS much

I guess you could dual wield hand crossbows for one round. Not that it would be very effective, but still. I also imagine you could be slightly more effective if you use one hand for a hand crossbow, and the other for daggers. You could throw your dagger every 2 turns, reload your crossbow before you grab a new dagger or after you've thrown it. Obviously, this would require a bunch of daggers. Not sure if it's worth the trouble but I imagine it looks cool.

UA stuff isn't balanced with MC in mind, but if your DM doesn't mind i would say revised and grabbing that companion because RAW it scales with character level rather than ranger level

Oh, don't get me wrong, I allow shield and hcrossbow and dual hcrossbow in my games, but what I do in my games doesn't reflect what the rules state, and here, in all seriousness, we discuss rules as writen and intended

With the dual wield feat allowing you to make two draw actions for free, you could technically have a bandolier of hand crossbows, and just discard as you shoot, drawing new ones as you go through the shots.

Probably not effective, but could be a cool concept.

Revised ranger is probably for the best, I think ambuscade may be more powerful but if you get above level 5 you have to multi class cause the rework doesn't go beyond that.

The more points in rogue the better, 1 gets you sneak attack 2 gets expertise, 3 gets assassinate or spells.

just load up on hand crossbows, cover yourself in them, become hand crossbow reaper, never reuse a hand crossbow, pour all of your party's funds into hand crossbows

I feel like a loading tool with bolts somewhere on your body would be more convenient.

So, I've been thinking a whole bunch about Morkoth islands, and how they're described as drifting through the planes, while providing a twilight subtropical zone for its denizens. I figured that the blob of celestial matter that is the fundament of the island would form a teardrop shape, and detritus would gather at the round end, gradually creating the biome. Eventually a form of atmosphere would accrue meaning further matter would burn up. Gathered water would gradually permeate the understructure creating the tunnels described. The celestial matter would glow, providing the twilight described. The denizens would live inside the valley and tunnel systems, as beyond them there was minimal atmosphere. Attached is my shitty attempt to draw an example in paint. Thoughts?

GODDAMMIT

I still can't get a physical copy of VGM, because even though my LGS is a WPN store, they don't know when they're getting their copies. Does anyone else in Europe have this problem? (I'm in the Netherlands)

i'm sure that's the optimal way to do it but who needs that when you're medieval reaper?

+1 if you're not even proficient in hand crossbows and you miss all of your shots anyway

Pls respond

I'll take a level in bard to be proficient in trumpet and intimidate from fighterp

So you're saying go the Beast Conclave Ranger?

That does seem quite strong, what Rogue synergies best? Seems like with the ABI increase applying to both you're better going to level 4 with that one.

A pair of magical crossbows that reappear loaded in your hands when you drop them.

That's what I was thinking level 3 in Ambuscade and multiclassing Rogue for the rest of it.

I was thinking Rogue would be the main class.

The best crossbow is the one that has never been fired before.

i love it, i hope i can one day use it in one of my games

you know what you're talking about

Then why did you say go bugbear monk???

It was in fact common to do this with early gunpowder pistols - have 6 of them so you didn't need to reload.

Ambuscade and assassinate work perfectly together, cause no matter what you get yor turn before combat happens. That means you can reliable get your assassinate to proc, so1 Ranger 3 Rogue should be what you go for first.

Definitely go stalker. That means when you are 3/3 you will be getting an extra 4d6+Wis to your 4d6+ Weapon dice doubled plus Dex assassinate. After that pump rogue for better ambuscade assassinates.

So not impossible in game, if done "by the rules" per se?

If you begun a campaign at Lv1 and naturally progressed through the campaign, it wouldn't seem to difficult to slightly deviate or force the party to go on a seemingly random tangent to get the ingredients for the ritual.

It's just a thought experiment right now, but I would like to try it out one day.

I hadn't considered the potential to play Reaper which would be pretty funny, but when I originally asked what the purpose of a hand crossbow being "light" was I was sort of hoping everyone else knew something I was overlooking. Like that there was some gimmick that would let me TWF them then hit the double tap from crossbow expert. Even then that's 1d6+1d6+1d6+DEX which is less damage than 2d8 sacred flame+1d8 spiritual weapon bonus, but I was hoping I could at least get that third hit and make it come close. You know, not optimal, but with twice the swag factor

This is what I would do as a GM.

My players have begun using these chucklefuck builds because I tend to hand out a lot of magical stuff to make those wacky but mechanically weak concepts work.

My current game has

A dual wield dagger thrower whose daggers return to his hands right after striking the target, where hitting the same spot twice in a row with a dagger doubles the damage like a crit (so if you hit on a 17 and hit on a 17 again, you "crit". Double 20 quadruple the damage)

A Blade lock with a Blade of Ancient Insanity which uses charisma when rolling to hit and deal damage, and causes a DC10 Wisdom save, where a failed save causes a disadvantage on all rolls until the beginning of the Warlocks next turn. DC increases by 1 for each successive hit he lands.

A Halfling Ranger who rides a Wolf into battle with a Lance of Impact, that deals 1d10 damage and counts as appropriate for his size. It deals 2d10 if he successfully "charges" into an enemy, and forces a DC10+Strength Modifier that knocks the target prone if he fails his save. He also has a Saddle of Binding that lets him stick to his mount almost no matter what, and makes it ridiculously hard to force him off the mount, as well as granting the mount the same AC as the Heavy Armour wearing Halfling riding it (AC21 as of right now)

The concepts or just retarded, but we are having tons of fun with it. And people really enjoy these oddball builds, instead of being forced into the "best" options as usual.

well i think that the ingredients is one part of it, but i think the major challenge is finding a presumptively ancient and heavily guarded tome that contains the secrets of becoming a lich because i can guarantee that the major forces in a setting do not want a lich to come to power in their world.

that said it would be a great bonus from an artifact level item such as the book of vile darkness DMG (p222)

Making a Digger/Tunneler/Moleman type character. I don't wanna be a dwarf. Recommendations on Race?

I guess now that I re-read TWF, were I able to do that I would add DEX twice so it'd be the same amount of damage as the cantrip+spiritual weapon bonus tick

Anyone ever just rolled on a limited table to pick spells before? How did it work out foe you?

I'm playing a Wild Magic sorcerer and can't decide what to get this level (getting my first 3rd level spell, and switching out sleep, so I have two to play with). I figure it goes with the nature of the class to let the dice decide for me.

Halfling

human from a mining town, drow, bronze(i think they're the ground/desert dragon) dragonborn, rock or deep gnome, earth genasi, half orc.

they all seem to work fairly well and they're fairly diverse

i would go with haste or fireball, but i think that the "bad" options for 3rd level spell far outweigh the better ones

Probably go for Dragonborn if my DM allows it. I like big characters, but I don't want Darkvision, kinda defeats the purpose of my character concept because he's a Light Cleric who is afraid of the dark, so he battles literal darkness.

I wonder if Firbolg would work.

Well your character probably shouldn't start out at level 1 with the goal of becoming a lich, like would he even know at that point what a lich is?

Logically I know that makes the best sense, especially as I'm already worried about falling behind the rest of my party.

However, stuff like counter spell can be great, blink, while it looks a bit dodgy, is really thematic, fly is situational but good etc, and leaving it up to chance seems like it would fit.
For what it's worth, my character kind of stumbled into being able to cast, in a low magic world. He's basically trying to learn and come to grips with it all, which makes the random chance fit even more.

>like would he even know at that point what a lich is?

Arcana roll, DC...let's say 17, because I like 17.

Going to play a Drow Bard and we just swapped to point buy, probably a good thing.

How is
STR: 8
DEX: 15(+2)
CON: 14
INT: 10
WIS: 12
CHA: 16(+1)

well if you really wanted to play up the wild and random magic, you could reroll ALL of your spells at each level, or DM willing at every long rest, but whatever works for you

>Sage Background
>Scrawled note
>"Liches right. Weird shit."

You might consider making another stat odd, so that when you get your ASI, you can raise both Dex and the other odd stat. Unless you have a feat in mind which just raises Dex.

I also personally advocate away from dumping Str entirely, sometimes you do need a little strength.

well a lich isn't something that would be TOO obscure. definitely more likely to be known by an average person than creatures found in the nine hells

might have heard a ton of stories about Liches in spooky books, where the book writer doesn't actually know that what he/she is writing about is a Lich.

No idea, actually. I remember the dark stalker one not being terrible, and I remember ambuscade being a cheap gimmick.

I think Revised Ranger Deep Stalker is fantastic. I want to play it, though I am not a fan of having Dark Vision, i makes otherwise challenging situations trivial.

>get a letter from your recently deceased uncle
>you've inherited his lich tomb

From my upcoming campaign

But is he really dead though?

Yeah he was killed. By a party consisting of the uncles of the other guys in your party.
Awkwaaaaard

In a bureaucratic sense.

These are probably the lowest stats I've seen rolled and brought up in these threads so far, even though it's still standard array but better.
15+2, 14-1, 13, 12, 10, 8+2.
Last game I played where the DM made us roll stats, 4/6 had worse than the standard array.

Your DM really shouldn't allow you to multiclass into ranger, because as mentioned before it's broken and not balanced for MC.

Oh, you mean the revised thing. If it's revised ranger, it's better, full stop.

I thought there was a deep stalker from non-revised, though.

GIANTS FOR SCALE

media.wizards.com/2015/downloads/dnd/02_UA_Underdark_Characters.pdf

this has the non-revised deep stalker

>lawful good character
>get a letter informing you of an inherited position from a distant relative
>you are now the God of Evil
>zero powers, all the responsibilities
Wat do?

Kobold are the only canon miners who outdo dwarves. Play and old veteran kobold miner who complains that dwarves miners waste too much time with silly things like "support beams" and "clearing up the corpses of fallen kin" Plus they don't even dig for 18hrs a day with our break and they call themselves miners?

Oh i think there is. But Revised Ranger is so good I would not play Ranger otherwise. It does exactly what I think any class should do

>Low Level
Provide a ton of options for doing cool stuff

>High Level
Provide increases in statistical stuff to feel powerful

Could someone put Firbolg and Goliaths on here? I don't think I visualize their scale correctly in my head.

I'd opt to go 8 str, 8 int, 8 wis and 17 dex, 15 con and 16 cha if I was making recommendations, but honestly I wouldn't be able to bring myself to do it unless other people were min-maxing too.

Str and int are hardly needed at all for the bard, I'd say. Pretty much all they need it for is str saves, and those are uncommon and better for front-liners.
Wis has some use.

I gotchu senpai, just give me a few minutes

Commission some spiky black armor I probably don't have proficiency in.
Surround myself with really bad, but realiable dudes.
Donate to charities anonymously.

Tell me more...

tfw you want to make a Steve Lichman character.

Radiant Soul feature for Undying Light Warlocks makes my Light Cleric feel like a joke T_T

I only say it because I've done the whole 8 Str before and gotten punished for it with difficult climb checks and pits just a bit too long for me to jump over. It really sucks. It's not game breaking, but it does suck.

Firbolgs are on average 1 inch taller than Goliaths, but they're shaped a lot more like dwarves. Much stockier.

Much appreciated aniki.

Sweet thanks for the advice, I think I'll go Ranger 2/Rogue 1 just so I can get the Eagle thing at level 4

>want to rejoin friend DnD party but have absolutely no imagination or role-playing skills

It's only a -1 or -2 to climb checks. It's rare that'll punish you, especially when you're a class with so many proficiencies.

Athletics is a pretty good skill anyway, the bard can just take that.

Or, use spells such as 'find steed' to get mobility advantages, spider climb or fly.

>no imagination
that's why the champion fighter was made

but seriously, if you do want to play, just do it, it's not like experience can make those skills any worse.

one of those japanese kobolds that are bipedal wolves

Obviously, it's for TWF melee attack with 2 hand crossbow. With Sharpshooter bonus.

>>no imagination
>that's why the champion fighter was made

>I have so far only played champion fighters
>tfw you're completely right
I'm uncomfortable now.

i *was* going to make a kobold swashbuckler to get all of the sneak attacks, but i realised that they had sunlight sensitivity and that it wasn't AL legal.
maybe in a home game i'll be able to make one and convince my DM to remove the worst racial trait in the game

I wonder if I could get my players to play a short campaign where the gods get killed via infighting and the players get their positions.
The evil characters get the Good positions and the good characters get the Evil ones just to mix it up. If you play a druid you get a God of Smiths or industrial stuff for example.
They wouldn't get much special powers to aid them in ruling though, just the authority to decide things on a major scale and the obedience of the previous gods's servants.

Do yourself a favour and pick devotion paladin for your next character.
At The Very Least You Can Just Use All Your Spell Slots For Smite Damage.

Why are so many DM around my area is trying to turn 5e into a gritty survival game with a lot of book keeping?

Most of the game went..
"You are lost in the forest! You need find food source!"
"I cast goodberry and share it with the party"
"You need water too!"
"I cast create water"
"Oh and while I'm at it, I cast animal messenger and send a message to the innkeeper at the last town, and we'll just follow that bird to find our way back"

I tried Battlemaster once but deemed it too complicated.

I'd say stat increases depending on what race you were in life.
+1 AC
Immunity to poison & Disease
Vulnerable to Bludgeoning Damage

and if your hardcore, cannot be healed by healing magic

god that's terrible, all your party needed was 1 person to have the outlander background and all of that goes away, or to a lesser extent ranger

Last Bump

Sounds reasonable

Still though, it seems to lack a little flavor to it

But no I'm not that hardcore. I'll just fluff it as "the healing magic works to restore the magical bonds between my joints" or something

Okay, so I'm making Yuan-ti bard for AL, and just finished traits. Now it's spells and feats, right? Assuming I'm using PBH and VGtM, what're some good choices for all-in CHA and CON?

Why would the least cucked political philosophy get cuck memes made about it?